rllmuk
wev

Best New Music 2019

On 25/06/2019 at 21:59, Stanley said:

Fuck, this kind of came out of nowhere and is absolutely as good as I'd hoped.

Most guitar based music bores me these days, but this blew my bollocks clean off.

• Upvote 3

Yeah they're a little bit special. That reverse tremolo at the start of Of Schlagenheim then those beats come in :wub: and the end of it where it's fading out and sounds like cars accelerating through the tunnel in the Monaco GP :o

• Upvote 1

Edit: wow, black midi are really wild in a way rock almost never is anymore. The drummer :slowclap:

Awesome stuff. Can't believe that's a debut album. 

• Upvote 1

On 28/06/2019 at 16:18, Fierce Poodle said:

the insipid vocals and inane lyrics that put me off most rock

Yes! I had much the same thoughts, like "this guy is fucking annoying... but committed!". It's really good, somehow.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, deerokus said:

He sort of reminds me of a mix of Damo Suzuki, Mark E Smith and of all people, Paolo Nutini. It's a distinctive vocal style for sure. 

I read an interview last year, or early this year, in which he stated that he would rather his vocals sound odd but interesting than normal and boring. Or words to that effect.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, deerokus said:

He sort of reminds me of a mix of Damo Suzuki, Mark E Smith and of all people, Paolo Nutini. It's a distinctive vocal style for sure. 

I can detect traces of Jeff Buckley too.

New The King Blues is a good one, it's a "punk opera" about the false ballistic missile warning sent out to the people of Hawaii last year

I particularly like Boomer and the Severed Goats Head. 

• Upvote 1

On 27/06/2019 at 18:40, Fierce Poodle said:

Lovely ambient album.

Anything else like this? Cos it's amazing and gave me the most wonderful time with some psychoactives the other week. 

14 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

@cassidyThis has more of a proggy vibe but I imagine it would suit your drug-fuelled antics well? And it was released in 2019 so I make no apologies for including it here.

They were meditative antics and thank you. 

Adam Bryanbaum Wiltzie's new score is fucking lovely. He's half of Stars of the Lid, and this is like a new SotL album. Full of lovely electric guitar drones.

• Upvote 1

On 05/07/2019 at 11:34, Fierce Poodle said:

Are we allowed to put mix albums in here? Who cares, cop a load of this shit.

Absolutely superb.

• Upvote 1

Somehow missed Baroness releasing their new album even though I knew it was due! This tracks a belter!

On 07/07/2019 at 09:33, cassidy said:

Anything else like this? Cos it's amazing and gave me the most wonderful time with some psychoactives the other week. 

I’d also recommend that Leif album that @Stanley mentioned on a previous page. Absolutely lovely.

• Upvote 2

On 07/07/2019 at 09:33, cassidy said:

That Michigan album is absolute heaven, and some of it reminded me a little of Susumu  Yokota's stuff, which serves me very well during my stoner walks through Bath:

• Upvote 1

On 10/07/2019 at 15:46, Fierce Poodle said:

I’d also recommend that Leif album that @Stanley mentioned on a previous page. Absolutely lovely.

Yup that's a cracker as well. 

@Shoes thanks for recommend will check it out.