rllmuk
Alex W.

Outer Wilds

Use ‘A’ when you’re near to wherever you’re going to match its velocity - it makes landing so much easier.

Yeah, speed matching is incredibly useful, but I don't think I could land consistently without the landing camera showing me where I'm going. After that just use your thrusters to slow yourself down as needed.

It becomes second nature after a while. :)

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, donpeartree said:

I bought this tonight.  I'm really into it,  but you do need to have some patience.

I could do with a little advice regarding...

Reveal hidden contents

the planet with the black hole in the middle. I've discovered that the entrance to the observatory type building on the south pole is under the planet's crust.  I found some tractor beam style lifts to get me there but the last couple don't seem to connect properly. The last one is too high to reach, the previous one drops me off into the abyss. Should I just search somewhere else?

It's not quite a jump and jetpack job. I'm not going to outwardly spoil it but a hint in the tags. 

It's a good tip for the whole game but basically think about the planet you're on and what makes it unique. 

And how that works over the 15 minute cycle. Brittle Hollow has a couple of things that make it different and, if you have a bit of patience and thought, develop over the 15 minutes and allow you access to the tower. Let me know if I'm being too obtuse and I'll just tell you though!

It turns out that the solution was just knowing that holding R2 and jump at the same time gives you an extra large boost.  Somehow missed that for the first 4 hours! 

I couldn't put the game down yesterday; ended up playing til the early hours of this morning. What a compelling game! It's got its frustrations, but 

Spoiler

figuring out how to get to the Quantum Moon and then the sixth location was a real moment.

My heart was actually beating faster as I walked up along to Solanum. I'm quite surprised by how physiological some of my reactions to this game have been. So much tension.

I've got to look into Dark Bramble a bit more. I've been putting it off for most of the game, but it's the only place that I haven't really explored beyond a cursory glance.

• Upvote 1

I managed to die yesterday. I don't mean smash the ship into the sun whilst on auto pilot.

Spoiler

I got the 'you are dead' screen and then the credits scrolled. Took me a minute to realise why this had appeared. I'll explain more for those curious.

Spoiler

If you remove the warp core from the ash twins project, you end the time loop, so if you then die like i did not fully understanding its importance then thats it, game over. Thankfully the game doesn't end there and puts you back at the start of the time loop. But it was a real whoa, why are the credits playing moment, i thought i'd run out of time loops at first.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

How does this run on ps4? The jittery framerate comments on xbone are worrying me slightly.

What jittery frame rate? I’ve been playing it all weekend and haven’t seen anything. I am on an X though.

There are quite a few frame hitches playing on a base Xbox. Some seem to be due to loading but they are pretty frequent.

4 hours ago, Ketchup said:

I managed to die yesterday. I don't mean smash the ship into the sun whilst on auto pilot.

Reveal hidden contents

I got the 'you are dead' screen and then the credits scrolled. Took me a minute to realise why this had appeared. I'll explain more for those curious.

Reveal hidden contents

If you remove the warp core from the ash twins project, you end the time loop, so if you then die like i did not fully understanding its importance then thats it, game over. Thankfully the game doesn't end there and puts you back at the start of the time loop. But it was a real whoa, why are the credits playing moment, i thought i'd run out of time loops at first.

Yep. I did exactly the same thing earlier and thought I'd crocked the game for myself or got the bad ending. Back in tonight, very much getting towards the end. Absolutely belting experience, with a few slightly fiddly/obtuse bits. A total triumph overall I'd say!

4 hours ago, Ketchup said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

I did the same earlier, but instead:

Spoiler

decided to fly as far away from the sun as I could before the supernova took place. Something else happened! :ph34r:

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Ketchup said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

In your village where the hot springs keep blasting into the air, by where you can learn to pilot the ship, I jumped into one of those and fell from too high a height and got the end credits. Hadn't even made it 15 minutes into the game.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Tomdominer said:

How does this run on ps4? The jittery framerate comments on xbone are worrying me slightly.

3 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

There are quite a few frame hitches playing on a base Xbox. Some seem to be due to loading but they are pretty frequent.

Strange. I played on base Xbox One for weeks and didn't notice anything annoying.  

I could do with another pointer. I'm close to unraveling it, having cleared up most of the planets / locations, but i still have some important question marks on the rumour map.

Spoiler

The Ash Twin project. I know it's inside the supernova-proof shell on the Twins. I'm guessing it's not possible to access it in a conventional all way.

The third shuttle and the Vessel. I thought this was on/in Dark Bramble, but can't find sign of it anywhere. 

Also, i had an idea to bring another symbol from one of the plates up to the Quantum Moon to ask Solanum. Is this worth it or even possible?

7 hours ago, donpeartree said:

I could do with another pointer. I'm close to unraveling it, having cleared up most of the planets / locations, but i still have some important question marks on the rumour map.

Hide contents

The Ash Twin project. I know it's inside the supernova-proof shell on the Twins. I'm guessing it's not possible to access it in a conventional all way.

The third shuttle and the Vessel. I thought this was on/in Dark Bramble, but can't find sign of it anywhere. 

Also, i had an idea to bring another symbol from one of the plates up to the Quantum Moon to ask Solanum. Is this worth it or even possible?

1. Take what you’ve learnt about moving to other planets.

2. Follow the distress signal using your scope

3. no idea but I doubt it.

It's a pretty extraordinary game in all sorts of ways. The way they've created the sense of mystery absolutely everywhere in the thing is amazing. I suspect my brain is really not hard-wired to solve most of the puzzles going on, but certainly at the moment, the accomplishment of discovering something new and awesome is driving me onwards.

Had my first lonely death in dark of space just now.

Found myself in the Quantum Temple (I think that's what it was called) and I made a wrong...erm....jump.

Should have been watching my fuel consumption a little better, but it was lovely. Turned on the signalscope and listened to some banjo music :) 

9 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Strange. I played on base Xbox One for weeks and didn't notice anything annoying.  

13 hours ago, JPL said:

What jittery frame rate? I’ve been playing it all weekend and haven’t seen anything. I am on an X though.

I assume its been patched then. :)

I've been playing it over the last few days and have been having those frame hitches so it's not a patch thing.. They are very noticable for me, but maybe it's my hardware.

• Empathy 1

Coincidentally I started it on bone last night and it's rock solid, but I was playing on an X so it's most likely hardware.

• Upvote 1

Just got the ‘You’ve met a terrible fate’ achievement, along with the best game over screen ever :lol:

Spoiler

BA3327BC-0088-4D4A-871E-07D52076790A.thumb.jpeg.a6b20a1bb7be998d7cb6f700d9271572.jpeg

• Upvote 2

I just finished this, very emotional. Utterly incredible ending to what is undoubtedly an all timer. 

Okay everyone, I'm trying to like this one, but after the first hour or so I urgently need some help.

1) I understand the controls are based on physics. However, is there any way to make them more simple? I am playing on PS4. I already make use of the auto-pilot but controlling the main char in his suit is challenging.

2) Why do I die all of a sudden? I read (in a review!) that the galaxy (?) explodes every 22 minutes but the game hasn't explained that to me yet. But then again even a cyclone killed me. 

3) Do I need to find all ancient stones etc. and insert them in the wall openings etc. in order to unravel the story? I'm assuming the actual story will unravel itself in the coming hours because so far I'm pretty much aimlessly drifting (haha) around.

4) What exactly does "match velocity" do? I'm having MASSIVE problems landing the damn ship. I'm coming in hard (or not at all) every time.

5) Why don't I wake up at the last bonfire I discovered? 

Thank you.

49 minutes ago, alex3d said:

Okay everyone, I'm trying to like this one, but after the first hour or so I urgently need some help.

1) I understand the controls are based on physics. However, is there any way to make them more simple? I am playing on PS4. I already make use of the auto-pilot but controlling the main char in his suit is challenging.

2) Why do I die all of a sudden? I read (in a review!) that the galaxy (?) explodes every 22 minutes but the game hasn't explained that to me yet.

3) Do I need to find all ancient stones etc. and insert them in the wall openings etc. in order to unravel the story? I'm assuming the actual story will unravel itself in the coming hours because so far I'm pretty much aimlessly drifting (haha) around.

4) What exactly does "match velocity" do? I'm having MASSIVE problems landing the damn ship. I'm coming in hard (or not at all) every time.

Thank you.

1. It takes a bit of getting used to. Just use a light touch With lots of tap thrusting and make sure to match velocity (prompt on screen) with objects when flying through space either in suit or ship.

2. Speak with people and this will be explained or just watch the sun. Use your scope to find music being played and go hunt it out as a starting point to this. Also start with the moon of the home planet as your first port of call and chat to everyone on the home planet.

3. Yes every bit of text will give you new stuff. There’s actually not that much text in the game and the things you pick up are always right next to the wall or thing you need to interact with. Each planet only has a few paragraphs of text in reality but because it’s spread out it feels like so much more. Use the ships computer and Concentrate on one planet at a time till you have unlocked every single story thread on it (note: some threads you will have to come back to later but you’ll know when)

4. Match velocity will basically get you to

obit around the object moving at the same

speed as it. Remember when you accelerate towards something you need the same distance to brake. If you look at a planet and push in the left stick (I think) you’ll lock onto it and it’ll show you how fast you are approaching it and how far away it is. So start braking with lots and lots of time. You’re in space remember, so no friction to help slow you down. Once you slow down, match velocity and then you can slowly descend down. With practise you’ll be able to come in hot and land not too bumpily.

• Upvote 2

Thanks, I'll try to keep this in mind. One more thing: on the cyclone planet, why do I suffocate on one island without the suit but not on another? Having to re-start because of this is a bit tiring... 

16 minutes ago, alex3d said:

Thanks, I'll try to keep this in mind. One more thing: on the cyclone planet, why do I suffocate on one island without the suit but not on another? 

Watch the islands, talk to the guy.

Spoiler

Islands rise out of the atmosphere when cyclones hit them, so that’s when you probably die.

• Upvote 1

I'd just keep your suit on all the time though. There's never a reason not to wear it.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I'd just keep your suit on all the time though. There's never a reason not to wear it.

The limited oxygen is a bit of a hassle though. 

26 minutes ago, alex3d said:

You can top it up by being near trees or going back to the ship. You can even fill your fuel back up at the ship.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, alex3d said:

I thought it refilled if you're in a breathable atmosphere? It might just be if you're near a tree though, although there's usually enough of those around when you need them. It was pretty rare that I ran out anyway.