rllmuk
Alex W.

Outer Wilds

I like this a lot but the lack of a suspend save is doing my head in. I just want to pick up from where I left off.

I can see why they don't want to support manual saves because of the time loop thing, but a suspend point wouldn't interfere with that.

What's also annoying is it crashing. I had it twice and it made me refund it. I like what I played so far and I will pick it up again at some point but in this game any crashing is just unacceptable.

I found this on GamePass last night and gave it a (drunken) go. Have I missed something crucial or is landing on other planets really hard? I approached the game No Mans Sky style but that made me crash and sent my guy out in space (I don't even know what happened to my spaceship). I was flying around like Sandra Bullock in Gravity for ages, then I suffocated. I tried again but the planets simply accellerated away from me and then they stopped and I crashed into them again. I'm pretty sure I'm missing something here....

It isn't hard, but it helps to have played a lot of Kerbal. Or Lunar Lander. And not be drunk. 

• Upvote 2

Started playing this through GamePass the other night.   Landed on my first planet. Mostly water   Well I say landed.   going under the water gives me the heeby jeebies.  I like that you get given a hint each time round on your equipment.  I had NO idea that the remote drone thingy could light your way and detect the Ghost thingy.

I'm downloading this now, it's on Gamepass so rude not to. Is it really as good as is being made out to be?

26 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I'm downloading this now, it's on Gamepass so rude not to. Is it really as good as is being made out to be?

As long as you're prepared to give it an hour or so to get used to the ship controls, yes.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Do all the tutorial sections in the village, it gives you all you need to know for your adventures. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boozy The Clown said:

The practise model ship is much harder to control than the real one. Do the zero G cave to get to grips with the controls.

Yeah that's true actually, it definitely gives you a feel for flying though. 

Played 3 hours solid and it passed in the blink of an eye, this is kind of brilliant, and I don't really know what I'm doing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

I really like this. 

Where can I find my scout launcher? I’ve poked around my ship and can’t find it. 

You've probably already got it, press RB.

This is one of those rare games that's almost too rich for me to play. I get too excited and agitated playing it. I feel like I can only play for about half an hour to an hour at a time, even If I've got a few hours to myself.

I had that feeling earlier this year with Ashen and then the last time before that was BOTW. This isn't as good as BOTW (because what is?) but the sense of exploration and discovery is amazing. It can also be surprisingly tense for a game that from moment to moment is very tranquil, mostly down to the time loop but there's other environmental hazards or just things like miscalculated landings or accidentally jet-packing off a low gravity planet or moon and having to concentrate on arresting your momentum and getting back down.

• Upvote 4

Just bought it for £9.99  maybe this will get me back into gaming.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I really like this. 

Where can I find my scout launcher? I’ve poked around my ship and can’t find it. 

Put your space suit on then press RB.

• Upvote 1

Still enjoying this, though I hope there's decent story pay off for the main loop mechanic.

Ember Twin spoilers:

Spoiler

It feels really odd that there's a level which has a massive environmental time limit when you've already got a pretty fixed time limit. Been banging my head against the Ember Twin's mysteries a fair bit because of this. I managed to get into the Angler fish cave but haven't found the high energy lab yet, and need to spend some more time figuring out what the hell the gravity cannon does (it doesn't seem to take you anywhere in particular), and chasing that quantum rock around the caves.

I died a few times shortly after launch, which was quite frustrating - once, I activated autopilot, which bounced me off a cliff and then flew me straight into the sun, then I jumped out of my ship which was parked at a funny angle on a cliff and just dropped straight of the ship and then in my impatience, I jumped out of my ship without my suit on and asphyxiated immediately. :doh:

It's one of my favourite games this year, even just to pootle about in, it's hugely enjoyable and original.

• Upvote 1

This is a lovely game, mysterious and certainly, as Boozy said, a gem (of the diamond variety in my opinion). 

I'm really loving it.  I'm guessing that after these planets there isn't another system to explore, maybe no.2.

I caved in last night and looked up one of the puzzles on the internet.

You know how 99 times out of 100 when you do that the answer is either head slappingly obvious and you just bumbled past a key detail you needed or so obtuse you've no idea how anyone is supposed to figure it out?

The answer here...

Spoiler

Getting in to the Tower Of Quantum Knowledge by waiting for the section of Brittle Hollow it was built on to fall into the black hole and then flying through the black hole and entering the tower in zero gravity on the other side of the white hole.

...just filled me with admiration for what the developers have made with this game. I can honestly say I'd probably never have figured it out myself, but not because it was an inscrutable hoop to jump through, just because I'm not that smart! There's a beautiful, perfect logic to the puzzle that's there throughout the game. I felt a bit sad that I had to cheat on that bit, but I've had my fair share of Eureka moments at other parts of the game.

• Upvote 1

I’m back home and hadn’t a go on this on my One X yesterday. Looks much nicer and runs so much more smoothly. 

And I managed to find the high energy lab! Wonderful. 

Currently pottering about on the Ash Twin. Takes blooming ages for the level to become accessible.  

I had to start again. Lost all upward thrust on the ship even though it's not damaged, even on a new day.

This is phenomenal and I can only echo the sentiment earlier in the thread that it’s so overwhelmingly rich that it feels like it can only be played in small bursts. It does things with the concept of gaming exploration that I’ve never seen before. I don’t think the Breath of the Wild comparisons are overselling it in the slightest, as it feels revelatory in many of the same ways that game did. 

That said, there are two major negatives: one, it really chugs on an Xbox One S, and two (SPOILERS for Brittle Hollow): 

Spoiler

if I accidentally fall through that black hole one more time the whole console is going out the fucking window

• Upvote 2

Contrary to the 'small bursts' thing, I finished this earlier having gorged on it over the past few days. It's fucking wonderful on the whole, but it's hard to deny that it can also be frustrating. I do think most of the weaknesses of the design would be difficult to address without eliminating its strengths. Some of the technical stuff isn't great though, it's a juddery mess even with a comfortably locked 60fps (Unity jankiness, I imagine), it crashed a few times and I had a few unintentional physics boo-boos but that part is also pretty forgivable considering all the mad stuff that's going on.

I did look a couple of things up when I was finishing up the last log entries but mostly in a 'I could waste hours of my life doing this wrong so I'd better confirm it's the intended solution' sort of way than a 'I'm completely stuck and have zero ideas' sort of way. The one exception to that was when I missed an important room when exploring one of the more complex areas and the log didn't really give me enough to go on. I guess there might be other examples of things like that which I was fortunate enough not to run into but really, my experience was that they did a pretty remarkable job of keeping track of what you've done and what you still might need to do without ruining the sense of discovery and the satisfaction of figuring things out for yourself.

I do have a bit of a moan about the last task though (BIG spoilers, obviously):

I knew what I had to about halfway into my game but completed the log anyway, mostly because I knew that the final fun would be an absolute ballache and was happy to have an excuse to put it off: go to the Ash Twin, wait seven minutes for the sand to go down enough to warp to the Ash Twin Project, take the core, use the remaining thirteen or so minutes to rush to the Vessel in the middle of Dark Bramble past loads of FUCKING anglerfish, use the core, input the coordinates and warp.

I actually managed all that the third time, but something wasn't right at the end and I ran out of time before I managed to troubleshoot it. It took me quite a few further attempts to get there after that and it really wasn't fun at all. Even once you know the score with the fish it's still a bit pot luck whether you'll make it through (case in point, I fluked my way through to the fellow astronaut the first time without even knowing they existed) and when you're having to twiddle your thumbs for seven minutes before each attempt it gets very, very irritating. It feels poorly thought out and in need of tweaking, either you should be able to get the warp core faster or the anglerfish sensitivity should be dialled down slightly - I've since seen people saying that your ship movement can go up to 1 around them and you'll be OK but it's really difficult to consistently do that so it isn't worth the risk in practice.

Luckily the actual ending was great, otherwise that would've ended things on a bit of a sour note, which would've been a massive shame after such a great experience.

Definitely try this game if you can. It vaguely reminds me of various things but really, I don't think I've played anything else quite like it.

• Upvote 3