IGNORED

Outer Wilds

Alex W.

Gotta be near the end now. All I have left to figure out is

Spoiler

- The Ash Twin project; I have a lot of info on it but haven't made it inside yet (though I haven't tried for a while either)

- The Quantum Moon

- The Black Hole Forge (I keep trying to get on it while it moves and that never ends well)

There's also what appears to be a black hole warp panel on the inside of Brittle Hollow which I'd like to get to, but have yet to find a path to. I wonder if you have to warp there from Ash Twin...

Navigating the bramble planet was the only thing I've disliked about the game thus far, for a game about exploring the mystery of the world it was just really irritating getting eaten by a fish repeatedly. So annoying to have a stealth bit in a game which is otherwise completely without peril beyond the passing of time.

Definitely at the end now. 

Spoiler

Had to use a guide for landing on the Quantum Moon, which is really annoying because I'd done exactly the method for landing on the Quantum Moon before and it hadn't worked (which suggests I'd done something wrong but still). In addition, getting into the Ash Twin Project required a solution I don't know if I'd ever have figured out, with the requirement to have the sand overhead - there are clues to it but there's just a couple of things that, considering how you gather information from reading the discovery process of an alien race, some of the solutions are just... "ok we figured it out".

The final journey is something you have to put together too, though it does make sense after reading what you're meant to do. Unfortunately I tried it last night and got eaten by a fish in Bramble Hollow which is somehow even more annoying than before.

It's a shame that it's had a bit of a stumble for me right at the end because I've had an incredible time with it up to now.

Done. Absolutely magnificent game.

Spoiler

The final run fucked me off a little, as I wound up getting eaten by a fish once, being about ten seconds too slow once (after trying to get into the Ash Twin Project slightly too early and getting sand column'd away) before putting it together on the third run.

Don't know what I expected from the ending, but seeing The Eye Of The Universe asks more questions than it answers.

Being back in the blackened museum and seeing the comment in front of the Nomai statue along the lines of "A Hearthian reached the Eye Of The Universe but nobody was around to see it" was mad too. You found the thing everyone's been looking for, forever, but it doesn't matter any more because the fucking universe just exploded.

Just sat on the title screen as I write this and it's fun seeing the "WILDS" in the title exploding across the screen. I'm going to miss this tune.

It's interesting seeing people having trouble with piloting the ship; I didn't find it too difficult, though made a lot of use of autopilot and definitely wasn't doing smooth landings. It seems to be pretty robust, you can clonk it down onto the surface of a planet at quite some speed and it will suffer no damage or only require minor repairs much of the time. Though I did fly into the sun on more than one occasion and didn't mean to do so...

Finally gave this another bash after it was re-added to Gamepass and am so glad that I did. What a wonderful experience and there is just SO much to explore. I loved how it taught you the systems it uses and how clever you feel when you figure out certain things. I'm not quite at the end as yet and think I will use a guide to figure it out as I want to see how it all ends. Specifics below-

Spoiler

- Accessing the Ash Twin project

- Getting out of the Tower on the Quantum Moon when you are at the Sixth Location. I'm guessing this is connected to accessing the Ash Twin project and am hoping I may be able to figure it out once I'm inside of there.

1 hour ago, Andy_Why said:

Finally gave this another bash after it was re-added to Gamepass and am so glad that I did. What a wonderful experience and there is just SO much to explore. I loved how it taught you the systems it uses and how clever you feel when you figure out certain things. I'm not quite at the end as yet and think I will use a guide to figure it out as I want to see how it all ends. Specifics below-

Reveal hidden contents

- Accessing the Ash Twin project

- Getting out of the Tower on the Quantum Moon when you are at the Sixth Location. I'm guessing this is connected to accessing the Ash Twin project and am hoping I may be able to figure it out once I'm inside of there.

That is where I ended up using a guide because I couldn't figure it out, not sure if I missed something or my intelligence was lacking.

I absolutely looked up the former. It's a clever system but I think it's the only bit of the game that felt a bit random and finicky in how you work it out. 

I'm playing through the DLC at the moment and it's just absolutely glorious. I'm sure I'll come unstuck eventually but there's so much to be worked out just from walking around and learning things. I got a little stuck and there were no more !'s on my map but I saw an area I couldn't access, used a bit of basic logic and found a whole new area to explore. It properly takes all of those big boring Ubisoft Open Worlds and shows them how to make a game about exploration interesting and invigorating without just filling a map with bullshit. 

I love it, basically. It's the best. An absolute all timer. 

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, krenzler said:

What’s the best video out there to let someone know why this is great while giving nothing away - keeping the mystery? 

If this doesn’t make you want to play the game, nothing will:

The first couple of minutes has some Outer Wilds stuff. It has a few (mild?) spoilers for a couple of the planets, so vet it first, but it’s short and there’s nothing about how you get there etc. I think if I’d seen this before I played it, it would really make me want to play the game. Even the explanation of how the hourglass twins work is super intriguing, and explains a lot about how the game is put together.