Outer Wilds

53 minutes ago, chris on the moon said:

Can someone offer me a spoiler free hint? I haven't made any progress for a good 6 or so hours and I'm starting to get upset . I can't find any spoiler free hint guides online.

Hide contents

I've found the vessel. It has a broken warp core. I have the co-ordinates for the eye of the universe. There was a warp core crafted in the black hole forge, but i can't do anything there. I can see that one was created and was in the ash twin project, so I think I need to take it from there. And then get to the vessel quickly because I'd die permanently otherwise. But how do I get to the ash twin project? someone earlier in this thread suggested that you use what you've learned about getting to other planets.

Because I know the ash twin project is completely sealed, I'm going to get there through a warp tower or quantum entanglement. There aren't any quantum objects on ash twin. The cave shard in ember twin definitely didn't take me there. So it's probably a tower. But all the black hole towers are on ash twin. Except for the white hole station, which only warps to brittle hollow, and I can't recalibrate it.

There's the twin warp towers on the ash twin, which obviously correspond to the ash and ember twins. The ember twin one works, the ash twin one doesn't. I've tried standing on it just before and just after the ash cloud comes - based on the knowledge that ash and ember twin act as one warp point - but nothing happens. I've also tried standing on it with a black hole core I took from the high energy lab on ember twin, but  nothing happens. I haven't found anything to do with those cores other than the experiment.

could someone gently nudge me in the right direction?

You're on the right track, it's just a bit fiddly.

If it's any consolation, you have worked out the correct answer to the puzzle, it's just quite fiddly to execute. It took me a few attempts to work out a technique that worked consistently.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this previously for the GPDWIN2, which wasnt powerful enough to run it properly. I downloaded it for the ps4, and have played a couple of hours so far, which has been fun.

Ive found it really difficult to land the ship, and end up just flying out of control around the planet. Can I just autopilot each time to get myself in a good landing position? The exploring of the planets is much more fun.

18 minutes ago, kempstar said:

I bought this previously for the GPDWIN2, which wasnt powerful enough to run it properly. I downloaded it for the ps4, and have played a couple of hours so far, which has been fun.

Ive found it really difficult to land the ship, and end up just flying out of control around the planet. Can I just autopilot each time to get myself in a good landing position? The exploring of the planets is much more fun.

You can autopilot up to planets, but you need to land manually. Are you using the landing camera? It's much, much easier to land if you do.

I remember it being a little tricky to start with, but it became second nature before long. If you're totally lost it might be worth seeking out a YouTube tutorial video or something to show you how it should work.

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

You can autopilot up to planets, but you need to land manually. Are you using the landing camera? It's much, much easier to land if you do.

I remember it being a little tricky to start with, but it became second nature before long. If you're totally lost it might be worth seeking out a YouTube tutorial video or something to show you how it should work.

Sorry I didnt explain that properly. Once I autopilot up to the planet, landing is fine. Its just getting to that point without autopilot that seems impossible!

Oh right, well I wouldn't worry about that then. I used autopilot all the time to fly up to planets, although you have to be careful it doesn't try to fly you through the sun sometimes. :D

5 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Oh right, well I wouldn't worry about that then. I used autopilot all the time to fly up to planets, although you have to be careful it doesn't try to fly you through the sun sometimes. :D

OK thanks! I wasnt sure if I was “cheating” in some way.

5 minutes ago, kempstar said:

Sorry I didnt explain that properly. Once I autopilot up to the planet, landing is fine. Its just getting to that point without autopilot that seems impossible!

Aligning to a planet is easy to do manually but yeah, knowing exactly when to start slowing down is next to impossible. Just stick with auto-pilot.

I ended up playing through all of Outer Wilds over the weekend and was blown away by it. It's comfortably in my top ten games of all time and I think it stands shoulder to shoulder with games like Portal when it comes to innovation in game design. It's also an exceptional example of explorative story telling and an absolutely wonderful experience from start to finish.

11 minutes ago, kempstar said:

OK thanks! I wasnt sure if I was “cheating” in some way.

Nah. Using in-game mechanics is never cheating, and in this game the only way you can really cheat is by looking up solutions online.

• 3 months later...

Finished it. Wow, a genuinely amazing and incredible game. So many moments which will stay with me, and such creative genius on display. Unlike Obra Dinn though I could never whole heartedly recommend it, purely because of the punishing nature of the moment to moment play, with no ease of access options. A real shame, because it ought to be played by everyone.

The only thing in the game that you can't use auto pilot for is one of the achievements because you can't select it as a destination.

You can land on all the locations in the ship's guide. Or more precisely.

Spoiler

You have to land on Sun Station!

It is the hardest thing to achieve.

Also this is one of the most terrifying games I've played. Obviously Dark Bramble, and I was physically shifting my body in the direction away from any objects in there, but also

Spoiler

the cyclones and waves in Giants Deep, the sand filled dark tunnels in Ember Twin, the black hole at the centre of Brittle Hollow

Actually, every location except Attlerock was terrifying and wanted to kill you. This game does an amazing job of making you feel small when compared to the size of a planet, without ever really feeling inconsequential.

It does a great job of making you feel like you’re really exploring. There’s a bit of caves which is actually quite linear but your first time through them really does feel like an underground labyrinth that you could get lost in.

I think it needs another play through in a year or twos time as I’ll probably have forgotten a lot of it by then.