Rumspringa

Billy Connolly: Made in Scotland

Made me so happy I’ve spent more of my life south of the border than north.

i love the guy, I love his humour, but just cos he’s smiling don’t think he’s actually nostalgic.

• Downvote 4

This had me and the wife welling up toward the end. So sincere, touching and hilarious. Billy Connolly is not just an incredible talent but an incredible person. I don’t think I have ever been genuinely upset about any Celebrities passing on but having followed him since I was able to watch TV I will be heart broken when, as he so beautifully put it, he takes the next step on his journey.

Was also really cool to see Russell Crowe tweeting a clip of it. Clearly huge respect and admiration across the world for the legend that he is!!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, linkster said:

i love the guy, I love his humour, but just cos he’s smiling don’t think he’s actually nostalgic.

Having lived both north and south of the border this programme made me feel exactly the opposite!

• Upvote 2

Just now, Mawdlin said:

Having lived both north and south of the border this programme made me feel exactly the opposite!

Genuinely envy you, my upbringing was fucking horrible

was great seeing some of the old routines tho, like dirty uncle singing 

17 hours ago, linkster said:

You're a right heartless wee scrote aren't you?

• Upvote 2

I've always said that if I grow old as disgracefully as Billy Connolly then I'll die a happy man.

I saw him on his last tour - the Parkinsons had really taken hold but there was so much love in the room for the man it didn't matter.  He just delights in ordinariness, in the way that if you just step back and look at it from a slight angle, then people just do stupid and silly things all the time and his gift for recognising that and transmitting it back is unbelievable.  I mean, who on this planet doesn't recognise the whole thing documented in the Itchy Bum routine?

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

You're a right heartless wee scrote aren't you?

I don't see what's hearltless about that comment, unless you're just looking to make an issue on a personal basis, which I'll never understand when we're supposed to be talking about films other people made.

To be more specific, when he's talking about old firm rivalry and people who's hobby was bigotry, he was smiling and laughing, but this is a guy who's used the same technique to come to terms with his child abuse. On the former I can relate, there's nothing to be nostalgic about, it was fucking horrible and I'm glad I left and got the distance from all that hate.

It's got nothing to do with how I feel about BC, simply how the show has been taken at face value by a lot of people.

I loved this, I grew up watching his live shows on VHS from at least 10 years before the BBFC suggest I should and all the old routines were so familiar I could almost recite them. My favourite has always been the one about the family singers, when we'd go up to Scotland each year as kids we had a cousin who'd just belt out something resembling words and interrupt them with an odd point or a wink, absolutely no idea what was going on but it was magic.

As much as I liked seeing him heavily feature on TV, it seemed a bit foreboding like when news channels have some tributes ready to air at a moment's notice. I really hope we're still many years away from that.

I told my 10 year old nephew the 'killed my wife/why have you buried her with her bum above ground' joke and he nearly died from laughing so much. I've heard that he then spread the joke around his class at school.  I'll always be grateful to BC for that.

• Upvote 1