rllmuk
carlospie

Do you cheat on games?

I used to cheat on The Sims, and I’m not making a joke about the nature of the game. Rosebud mostly for a quick windfall but occasionally I’d use motherlode and build a really good house.

I also used to cheat on Counter-Strike Source. I had “cham skins” and wallhacks but it only worked on some servers - the ones that loaded materials from your local content, rather than server side. I know it was cheating scummery but it made the game so much more fun. It was so easy to do I’m surprised that loading your own textures was even allowed. I presume that’s no longer the case for Global Offensive but I never really looked into it for fear of a VAC ban.

I used a gameshark type device to remove random battles from FF7 and to massively overlevel my characters so that I could beat bosses in one move.

It was quite enjoyable as a walk through story/adventure type thing, without the slog of the jrpg game mechanics dragging it down.

Modern consoles have this stuff pretty locked down though.

• Upvote 3

I love building in Sims so I use extensive cheats there to maximise possibilities. Obviously there’s the mother lode cheat so you have no money worries, but I regularly unlock hidden objects and objects locked through gameplay and use the move objects cheat as standard to allow more flexibility with item placement.  For me though, even though they’re called cheats, they’re actively encouraged by the game makers and the sims community so I don’t feel they’re cheats in the literal sense. Just another way to play the game. 

Most cheats are irrelevant now, as they've been incorporated into the game in more intelligent ways. Finishing an old game by using the level select to pick up where you left off is just shit, manual saving. Most super hard games now have infinite lives, so you're not choosing between hammering in a code and replaying a large section you already did for no real reason. Instead of a code to unlock all weapons you just give EA £20. 

Even guides are becoming obsolete. I'm much more likely to just bail on a game that's obtuse and confusing than go looking for some text online to explain it to me. I suppose Twitch and YouTube have replaced this though, so its not gone as a concept, just modernised.

I remember you could glitch inside the airport on GTA IV multiplayer and shoot people through the walls but they couldn't shoot you back. 

Only game you could say Ive ever "Cheated" on is probably Football Manager, saving the game just before a Champions League final, losing and loading up the save again because I wasn't happy with one of my players getting sent off in the 3rd minute or 5 of my players getting injured. I try to be as realistic as possible but when the game absolutley pissing screws you when you've just put 12 hours in to a season only for it to go nah, not winning that, even though you've got a better team, better tactics, I'm just going to send 3 of your players off before half time to even if up

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

I used to find it funny going no pants (I think) on IK+ which made their pants fall down. 

These kinds of cheats which resulted in modifications not based on progression but novelty were brilliant. Classic big head modes were always comedy but the ones I fondly remember the most were the tweaks with Mortal Kombat 1 - 3. 1 button fatalities. The one in Gradius is very useful without being too generous to help you get better practice without having to restart. 

Generaly though I dislike cheats and try my hardest not to look up anything for help unless I need it. That feeling of overcoming a difficult part of an game on your own is what makes a lot of th me experience. As a kid I was the opposite of the OP where I had tonnes of copied ST games which had built in options or trainers as they called them to give you quick invincibility. I’d use them all the time, but to be fair then it was far more difficult to actually finish a game or even make it beyond a couple of stages in a lot of cases.  

5 hours ago, partious said:

I used a gameshark type device to remove random battles from FF7 and to massively overlevel my characters so that I could beat bosses in one move.

It was quite enjoyable as a walk through story/adventure type thing, without the slog of the jrpg game mechanics dragging it down.

Oh I wish I'd thought about that at the time, put me off FF pretty much for life that did, in fact that next FF related thing I actually owned is Kingdom Hearts 1.5/2.5 and I only got that at christmas.

I might have to play through FF7 with an emu doing that next time I've got a week off.

4 hours ago, deKay said:

MOTHERFUCKINKIWIBASTARDS

:quote:

My copy was post patch, I literally only found out about that code last week from a Guru Larry video :)

I used to love when GTA and games like that had hundreds of daft cheats to mess with once you had finished the main story. Added a lot to the games. I still like to use gamebreaking mods and cheat engine type things on games I have played to death like Fallout New Vegas and crusader kings 2, just for the fun of seeing what stupid shit you can do when the gameplay structure is broken or bypassed. When you still like playing the game but are bored of the things ithe developers want you to do, this kind of thing is great. 

I admit to savescumming sometimes with some tactical games. Xcom 2 before the War of the Chosen expansion felt like you were expected to savescum at times, so punishing was the game if you lost one or two key units, and so easily that can happen with a bit of bad luck, Shadow Tactics is another one where savescumming makes the game more enjoyable for me. Is that cheating or just exploiting the systems? 

Just now, deerokus said:

I used to love when GTA and games like that had hundreds of daft cheats to mess with once you had finished the main story. Added a lot to the games. I still like to use gamebreaking mods and cheat engine type things on games I have played to death like Fallout New Vegas and crusader kings 2, just for the fun of seeing what stupid shit you can do. 

Literally came into the thread to post about the days of GTA cheats!

Following on from others in the thread, I don't tend to use cheat codes etc. If I get really stuck, i will generally do a google search so that I don't waste hours on the same boss/puzzle!

I'm guilty of save-scumming and sometimes use guides, but generally only to either get tips on a particularly challenging boss fight or build advice or the like or if I'm stuck on some obtuse videogame logic environment puzzle that is holding me up in what is otherwise a non-puzzle action game.

Also if I am starting a very long game, I normally do look up the Kotaku beginners tips or the like because I want to avoid making a silly permanent decision early on (accidentally picking an annoying class/weapon selection, poorly spend xp points, etc) that means I quit or restart after sinking a few hours into a game.

I'd love to say I played through every game overcoming every challenge myself, but the truth is I tried to do that as a kid and the number of games I finished before getting bored I could count on the fingers of one hand. Ultimately I'd rather see the end of more games, even if I need a little help getting there.

I think the usage of guides or beginners guides probably has an increase usage for anyone with less time to play. 

If I am really stuck on a game to the point where it is almost not worth playing (for me) anymore then I would Google for the answer. I've come close to this on Hollow Knight before.  Thankfully the thread on here is more like a Hollow Knight support group than a discussion thread. 

Yep, all the time. I love a good cheat or exploit, I do.

I only play single player games, so it's only me I'm hurting. I don't get a lot of gaming time, so if I can skip the bits I don't like, I will. 

I've used Action Replay devices from the C64 up to PS2, hex editors, trainers... I even worked out a way to cheat on the original Xcom (the save games were stored as a series of files with helpful names like "bases.dat", "soldiers.dat" and "money.dat" that you could just use DOS to copy from one savegame to another). 

I've been exploiting the AI in Forza Horizon 4 of late to avoid too much grinding.

Nowadays especially, id rather consult a guide, walk through, ask on here than get frustrated and give up on the game, especially with the more limited time I have and the larger amount of stuff I'd like to play, but I don't like things that remove all challenge from the game.

I enjoy discovering strategies to make games easier, such as which Pokemon to catch in Let's Go to level up my squad, but won't use things like P item in Mario 3 or the silly suit. I  always get, but don't use the 3 warp whistles etc..

The best game for cheats, imo, was Goldeneye. Basically a challenge mode which unlocks something daft, loved it, even if we rarely used any of the cheat options.

I guess games getting easier, or the lack of game over / no more lives or continues has, to an extent, killed off a lot of cheats though.

*opens a can, potentially of worms*

I won't cheat by buying paid content to enhance or speed up progression of my charter either.

I cheated on Red Dead by switching off my console before it could auto save when my horse (which was the best one) got savaged by a mountain lion and again when it got run over by a train, and reloading an earlier save. Probably done a similar thing on some other games. 

Used to, but for a bit of fun rather than progress. Doing weird things in GTA. The old Dooms with some cheats on was a nice stress reliever. But I wouldn't save a cheat-enabled session. I was never really into multiplayer games, but there's no way I'd even consider cheating in those circumstances either.

I liked the JPM pub quiz machine, Hangman, which is now emulatable via Mame. Back in the local pub in 2005 we used to play this machine a lot because our group was good at general knowledge. But if you use cheats, you can get a real insight into how the machine tries to stop you getting the jackpot if it's already paid out too much.

If the machine doesn't want to pay, it won't pay, even if you know the answers.  But by cheating you can see the methods they employ to thwart you, and it's a voyage of discovery for anyone that used to spend money on these machines.

As you start playing, you earn enough points to win a cash prize by solving one or two puzzles.  You can pause Mame if you need to google an answer.  Once you've won the jackpot a couple of times you'll notice subtle gameplay changes as the machine starts trying to earn it back. Most obviously, you'll need to solve more puzzles and get more points for even the smallest cash prizes, but the more you make the machine pay out, the more devious it gets. There are time limits for each question and it gets so quick that you won't have time to read the question.  But you can find the timer in cheat engine and fix that too!   You keep getting the questions right, the machine finds another way to hinder you, then another and another. If you keep cheating to get around these new barriers you'll start getting asked questions that you can't answer, even with infinite time and Google to hand.

The more you play, the more the machine goes crazy, trying to regulate its payout ratio.  It's really interesting to see that you can't win if the machine doesn't want you to. And I used to spend actual money on that machine in the local pub.  

• Upvote 7