carlospie

Do you cheat on games?

1 minute ago, deKay said:

That’s incredible. Is there a video that goes through all this?

I've had this in the back of my mind for ages to do as a video.  Might give it a go tomorrow.  The problem I had originally was it was very tricky to find the values in cheat engine. I had a cheat to stop the timers, to have unlimited hangman body parts, permanent "try again" so I didn't have to look up the answers to the questions, and so on.  I saved the cht file and next time I loaded it nothing worked, like the memortu addresses are different every time.  Give it a go yourself, it's good fun.

• Upvote 1

Similarly, one local pub had a Telly Addicts quiz machine. Each correct answer earned you 3 seconds in a matching pairs game at the end.  Some questions earned you "telly test cards" and at the end of the game, one matching pair was revealed for each test card you earned, helping you towards the goal of turning over the pairs in the time limit. 

If you got every question right , you had 30 seconds in the end game. What we discovered was that this was not enough time to check the cards, let alone find pairs.  But if you got, say, 10 test cards, half the pairs were already found so you had a chance.

What all this means is that if the machine didn't "randomly" award you any test cards you couldn't win money.  The payout is as rigged as a fruit machine, and any player that got every question right would still not win any money if someone else had won a jackpot earlier that day. 

I never really used them much apart from “extra money” or equivalent cheats, mainly on games with some sort of world building element (like I find it much more enjoyable to build a massive mansion on the Sims and play as a millionaire than I do starting at the bottom). I think the last one I used was the clone items exploit in Oblivion though, and restricted that solely to making more of the best type of arrows. That’s unless you’re going to count looking up solutions to puzzles or using guides etc, which some people are, in which case I do quite often.

9 hours ago, dumpster said:

I've had this in the back of my mind for ages to do as a video.  Might give it a go tomorrow.  The problem I had originally was it was very tricky to find the values in cheat engine. I had a cheat to stop the timers, to have unlimited hangman body parts, permanent "try again" so I didn't have to look up the answers to the questions, and so on.  I saved the cht file and next time I loaded it nothing worked, like the memortu addresses are different every time.  Give it a go yourself, it's good fun.

I for one would like to see this, it's the more devious version of the infamous Fairplay "Unwinnable gamble" video.

I use guides if I get stuck on a puzzle or just lost with where to go next. I'm less inclined to do that when I've paid for a game out of choice as opposed to it being on PS+. Trouble is once I use a guide once for a game it's easier the next time and I have even less patience with working things out myself. I started trying to work out Another World but kept hitting walls which would take me a whole evening to break through and I knew I would never see all of it without help. Iconoclasts is another one where I have used a guide recently, I repeatedly did not understand what the game was signposting me to hit on a boss or which mechanic/move to use to solve a puzzle.

Proper cheat wise - the only recent example I can think of is the rewind, infinite lives etc. on the old games in Rare Replay. No regrets on using them to actually see the whole game through. I wish they would include those type of features as standard in the Switch NES online games.

Cheat fails wise - I once tried to reset my C64 with a paper clip to enter a poke and put the C64 out of action for weeks (felt like months) whilst Boots replaced it. I did regret that.

8 hours ago, MrPogo said:

I never really used them much apart from “extra money” or equivalent cheats, mainly on games with some sort of world building element (like I find it much more enjoyable to build a massive mansion on the Sims and play as a millionaire than I do starting at the bottom). 

When I had the time, I used to play a lot of Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe. I've always played in sandbox mode (no AI companies) and used the cheat menu extensively. The fun for me wasn't the business side of things, it was building huge transport networks.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

I for one would like to see this, it's the more devious version of the infamous Fairplay "Unwinnable gamble" video.

The what?

Stuart Campbell using a Fruit machine on MAME to prove that if the machine wanted you to lose you would lose, namely by using a save state pointing out whichever guess you made in a "Higher/Lower" style thing would be wrong.

This isn't the place for the debate but his methods are not 100% scientific for a couple of reasons.

The video is in the update from exactly 15 years ago.

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/fairplay/fruit/news.htm

From the initial post, I also had a Dad who would be disappointed if I used cheats in games. So it's really set something in me where I feel bad for doing so. 

Anything that isn't quite a cheat I'm fine with though. I play RPGs and adventure games with a written walkthrough close to hand. I don't use it for secrets and collectables, just to know what I'm meant to be doing next. It can be days between sessions and I can't remember where I'm meant to be going next. 

That's a fault of the game. Similarly if there is some sort of exploit or area to grind to make life easier later, I'm happy doing that too. If I have spare minutes I'll play some battles for xp,  or redo that mission that was full of extra lives. So when I play properly I don't feel like I'm wasting time. 

I'm a bit save-scummy on football games too. If I think I wouldn't win anyway I'll let it slide, but if it's a game I should have won I'll play it again. I reckon PES is pretty bad too for cheating and the game deciding to fuck you over if you've been having too much success. 

I used to cheat in my youth because it was the only way to see the other half of many 8-bit games, such was their difficulty level. These days I don't bother, as there's limited benefit when games are balanced better. I'll use a walkthrough if I'm stuck or to cut down on painstaking searches, but even that's rare. 

My old flatmate played through the GTA IV DLC The Lost and the Damned by spawning a helicopter at the start of every mission. Not quite the chopper that Johnny's motorcycle gang had in mind.

I remember using a code or something to give me invincibility in The Chaos Engine on the Amiga as I couldn't beat the end boss.

Used the cheat to beat Lazarevic when playing Uncharted 2 on crushing. Was not prepared to do the Benny Hill thing for god knows how long while he constantly shouts 'incoming', so I used the shimmy around the rock cheat. Didn't feel cheap as it's a terrible boss fight anyway.