rllmuk
carlospie

Do you cheat on games?

Funny one really, but do you cheat or use cheats? 

I remember being little and I wasn’t allowed to use cheats in games! My dad wouldn’t let me and if I got caught I was in trouble. My best mate used to have to ask his mum if he could use cheats. I think it was to try make games last longer. 

These days I’m more than happy to cheat. With limited gaming time I always like to feel i am progressing,  so will use cheat codes if I’m playing an older game via emulation, for example I used the master material glitch on ff7 so I could speed things up

I remember using little tricks when I was little, for example would watch the other players screen on perfect dark death match for a sneaky advantage.

when I was 16 I downloaded some hacks for counter strike and it was well worth it, could run from my spawn to the enemies and knife them all. After 10 mins I got a permanent VAC ban! 

• Upvote 2

Not usually to progress, but for fun in single player games? Sure.

Online to beat other players? Anyone who does this should be blasted out of a cannon into the nearest wall.

• Upvote 6

Cheat codes? They're not seen much these days...

Looking up tactics or strategies online? Sometimes as a desperate measure if I've been beating my head against a level or boss for days.

Using AI exploits or other "cheap" methods to win? Rarely, because I kind of have to stumble across them first.

All that said, some of my favourite cheats aren't the ones that let you breeze through a game, but the old-school ones that do weird things to the game, like the Micro Machines camera angle for Colin McRae Rally or the aggressive pedestrians in GTA. :) 

I usually break out the Game Genie or other equivalent if I just want to really chill out and play.

I have also been playing Dark Souls (in Offline mode) with a No Damage mod because I wanted to replay it, but in a more relaxed state.

None these days, no. The most I will do is if I am really stuck somewhere, check a walkthrough.

When we were kids we used cheats on Tomb Raider for extra ammo and stuff like that I think, once or twice. I remember you had to perform a certain chain of movements with Lara.

And I used 2 cheats on The Sims back in the day, one to get tons of money and one so my Sims could build up to the very edge of their property and even change the pavement etc, I think.

Multiplayer cheaters are scum!

Not generally depends what you call cheating? If I hit a difficulty spike or have exhausted every concievable possibility then I will Google something.... However it's usually a last resort otherwise I'm doing myself out of a challenge ergo wasting my money. :)

I don't think I've cheated in anything at all recently, not even weird cheats thrown in for fun, but as a kid I remembered finishing all my games and thinking I was great. Pretty sure I was just whapping on infinite lives most of the time.

I regularly cheat on the Guardian cryptic crossword if I'm pushed for time, or it's not one of my favourite setters, or I think I probably won't even know the answer when it's shown to me. Any extra checking letters it gives me makes me more likely to enjoy solving the rest of it, and since there's a new one six days a week I need to keep on making headway.

I've long been an advocate for allowing gamers to "cheat" though. I'd love for games to put in the facility for players to become temporarily invincible to overcome a tough boss, for example, so that they can get past a sticking point, and continue playing a game they had been enjoying until then. It's MUCH better from the point of a developer for as many gamers to see all the work they put in, rather than sacking a game off before they get to it because someone else involved made a boss too hard for them to beat. People who care about beating the challenge can always be incentivised not to use the cheats (unlock bonuses, achievements etc.), but people who just want to see all the game they paid for kind of deserve to be allowed to do that.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

Are there cheats on console games nowadays? The old days of a particular button sequence giving unlimited everything seem so long ago.

I finished PS4 God of War and found it bloody hard at times (default difficulty setting). It did suggest a few times on the reload screen that I could drop the difficulty but I didn't. I guess that would have been a form of cheating.

So no, I don't cheat in-game (infinite lives, ammo etc.), but I have looked at walkthroughs for games.

Zelda on the SNES mini was a recentish one that I'd never have finished were it not for internet guidance.

No, but yes. I do tend to take the easy path after I've discovered it though - I don't know that I ever fought the Flamelurker properly since getting him stuck at the bottom of the stairs once. I hate myself a bit for that too.

I will admit I cheated in Lego Dimensions to avoid having to buy all the character packs - you could use the hire-a-hero facility to transform your character into one you don't own for a limited time, but if you took your character off the base until after the timer expired it would not change back. I exploited that to get access to every world and nearly every gold brick until they patched it. I think figuring out where to go and who to hire for every situation was more of a fun challenge than anything in the actual game itself.

After finishing my Big Boss run in MGS4 I put on the corpse camo and big boss mask for subsequent play-throughs just to get the remaining emblems. (Any enemy that sees you freaks out, drops their weapon screaming and eventually passes out). I feel no guilt about that because having done Big Boss Extreme you basically earn the right to play around with the in-game toys a bit.

As a child with ZX Spectrum games I'm sure I used cheat codes and level skips etc, but that was practically required to see most of those games.

These days I'm very achievement focused (not in the xbox sense) so like to do things properly.

Certainly for looking up the answers to puzzles - could never figure out the rotating pillars / claw puzzles in Skyrim without a walkthough.

Apart from that, not really.

Not since Goldeneye Big Head mode

But I look up answers on gamefaqs if I get really stuck on puzzles, bosses or where to go. Only if things get really dire though and usually its because of poor signposting/game design. These days I can't justify spending days trying to solve one puzzle or figure out what obscure thing the designer had in mind when there is a massive backlog of games I want to play. It's just annoying when you look up an answer and realise "oh damn I'm an idiot", but then again how much precious leisure time do you want to give up for your own self satisfaction.

I'm all for cheats in games and they can be a lot of fun. Multiplayer obviously not although there is some funny hacking out there admittedly.