rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
linkster

Now TV

Lol no, the Apple TV app seems to have no concept of what you've watched before, other than pre-selecting the last episode number you watched (but not the season).

So to watch Oz on Apple TV I first look under "Top Box Sets" or whatever, but that shuffles around all the time and sometimes Oz isn't in there, so I go to the search, where searching for "Oz" causes it to appear as about the 20th result. Then when I go in it'll be on like Season 1, Episode 7 (where I just watched Season 3, Episode 7 last time). :)

I started watching Season 2 in the bath last night on my iPad Mini. For some reason I can't bring myself to watch stuff on an iPad Mini in the lounge where there's a TV screen, but in the bath is fine!

Is there a way to installl the NowTV app (on an iPad or something) but only allow access to the kids section?

Without setting up a new account and kids pass, I mean.

EDIT: wrong thread but that question also for Netflix 

10 hours ago, deKay said:

Is there a way to installl the NowTV app (on an iPad or something) but only allow access to the kids section?

Without setting up a new account and kids pass, I mean.

EDIT: wrong thread but that question also for Netflix 

No idea with NowTV, but I don’t think you can do that with Netflix.

The closest you could get is to set up a kids’ profile on your account with a picture they like to encourage them to pick it at start up, and add your choice of parental controls to that. Then in your main account set parental controls to All, so that attempting to play any content requires a PIN.

The problem here (apart from inconvenience) is that the kids could still browse your main thumbnails, but I don’t think you can do more than that. It would be a lot simpler if you could lock your main account with a PIN, but I don’t think you can.

• Upvote 1

Thanks.

There is, in the US, a “Netflix Kids” app for the 3DS which only allows kids content. That’s great but 1) it’s in the US only, and 2) is 3DS only.

NowTV even refer to a “NowTV Kids App”, but it’s what they call the kids section of the normal NowTV app.

Seems nuts this thing doesn’t exist!

On 19/01/2019 at 13:50, gospvg said:

If you use the following code AANOWDZ4XB7I you can get 1 month of movies for £4.99

Thanks, I gave this a go again as there were a few films on it I wanted to watch.

Did it always used to have adverts for NowTV play before a film? It's awful. I mean, I've already bought into the service, what is the purpose of advertising it to me again?

720p really is starting to look awful these days too.

12 minutes ago, Benny said:

Thanks, I gave this a go again as there were a few films on it I wanted to watch.

Did it always used to have adverts for NowTV play before a film? It's awful. I mean, I've already bought into the service, what is the purpose of advertising it to me again?

720p really is starting to look awful these days too.

Adverts play intermittently before movies, and yes they are very annoying

They have internal adverts before TV too, it's awful.

Also, it could have changed - but NowTV doesn't have optional subtitles!  At least on the PS4.

1 hour ago, Nathan Wind said:

U wot? I watch a couple of films a week on NowTV and haven’t once seen it advertise itself beforehand. Unless it literally started doing it this week.

No, it's been doing it for a while, usually a sky sports advert for me.

Genuinely not seen that and like I say, I use the service at least a couple of times a week.  I'm on the Isle of Man so maybe regional or something? Although I don't see why that would possibly be the case.

Guaranteed to happen now, obviously.

There's the options to turn on subtitles for PS4 but they're not available on other sources such as PC or casting, which is weird in this day and age of accessibility.

There's a rather belated 'sequel'* to 1981's Das Boot just started on Sky Atlantic, but all episodes available to stream via NowTV. 

I'm 2.5 episodes in and I'm really liking it. I only put it on to get a taster last night, but ended up steaming on way past my bedtime. I had been planning on watching over the weekend.

* I think it's set very shortly after the events of the original film.

Highly recommend The Miracle - currently on Sky Atlantic

They've been streaming 2 episodes each week, but you can get the full lot now by looking at The Miracle (Dubbed) boxset and the full season of subtitled episodes are available there.

https://www.sky.com/watch/title/series/0e113d88-41b7-4957-a975-ddb53a4fa0ff/the-miracle

“In Italy, the referendum that could bring the country out of Europe is round the corner.In eight days, four figures find themselves dealing with the biggest event of their existence; one capable of changing the world and that will change their lives forever.”

Similar in a way to The Leftovers in that it posits the what happens next, and not the why.

Great soundtrack too.

• Upvote 1

So Sky are putting the price of the cinema pass up to £11.99 from £9.99. I'm guessing now they're seeing more people using Now TV to get Sky, they've decided to put the price up - no doubt their plan all along.

Unless I can still get cheap codes, I'm going to let it expire. This price rising shit is one of the reasons I binned Sky in the first place.

• Empathy 1

13 minutes ago, deKay said:

So Sky are putting the price of the cinema pass up to £11.99 from £9.99. I'm guessing now they're seeing more people using Now TV to get Sky, they've decided to put the price up - no doubt their plan all along.

Unless I can still get cheap codes, I'm going to let it expire. This price rising shit is one of the reasons I binned Sky in the first place.

Ditto. Had already decided not to renew (mainly cost GOT is coming) when I noticed that

I'm thinking about getting NOW TV for the final season of GOT so that I don't have to torrent the episodes, but I'm a bit concerned with what I've heard in the past about the quality of the 720p picture. If you subscribe, are you happy with the picture quality these days?

Also, will the eps be on demand or do you have to be present at the right time?

If you're over 30 or wear glasses (or both) it's fine. You'll find that Internet people will use hyperbole like "worse than DVD!" or "like a PSOne/VHS tape!" but if you're happy with how something like BBC1 (non HD) looks on your TV now, then it is no worse than that in my experience. Obviously it is dependent on the app you're using (I find Now TV's apps vary wildly depending on the device), the bandwidth you have available and whether or not you're actually watching it as opposed to looking at your phone instead but I think it is good enough, just not stellar.

I watch it on a 50" HD TV via the Apple TV app and it's miles better than BBC1 SD on the same telly (which I find annoyingly fuzzy). To me it's indistinguishable from BBC1 HD, but then again I am over 30 and wear glasses, so YMMV.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, deKay said:

I've only ever gotten the cinema pass if it's on offer, my current offer is £3.30 per month until the end of May. Unlike some of the TV exclusives like GoT & Westworld, you can watch films on lots of services.

2 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

I've never had a problem with the picture quality, looks fine to me. The sound's a bit compressed though. This is on the TV app.

I'm over 40 and don't wear glasses.

Yeah, I find this is the case. I'm okay with the picture but the sound is muddy. Hard to pick out voices from the background noise. 

2 hours ago, gospvg said:

I've only ever gotten the cinema pass if it's on offer, my current offer is £3.30 per month until the end of May. Unlike some of the TV exclusives like GoT & Westworld, you can watch films on lots of services.

Yeah, I've never paid more than a fiver for a month and I'm currently on month 4 of a 6 month £1 a month deal, but still - sign o the times.

4 hours ago, Eighthours said:

I'm thinking about getting NOW TV for the final season of GOT so that I don't have to torrent the episodes, but I'm a bit concerned with what I've heard in the past about the quality of the 720p picture. If you subscribe, are you happy with the picture quality these days?

Also, will the eps be on demand or do you have to be present at the right time?

On my 55” LG OLED the picture quality is not great. It’s not something that’ll make me turn the tv off in disgust but in 2019 it’s really not ideal. On my iPad it’s absolutely fine and more than acceptable.

I’m 42 and wear glasses inconsistently.

My entertainment passes expire this summer but I’ll probably not resubscribe unless CDKeys or whoever have some sort of cracking deal on.

Let not get crazy here. For a streaming service in 2019 it looks shit and it sounds shit. There's jagged lines on all diagonals and the dialogue sounds like it's coming out of a car radio.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Benny said:

Let not get crazy here. For a streaming service in 2019 it looks shit and it sounds shit. There's jagged lines on all diagonals and the dialogue sounds like it's coming out of a car radio.

There's something seriously wrong with your setup.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, linkster said:

There's something seriously wrong with your setup.

No. Netflix looks and sounds great. A good setup makes the issues with NowTV more stark.

• Upvote 1