Gotters

Almost Everything Is Too Long (this isn't a new show)

3 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Yeah, it just doesn't need a second season, in essence. The first season is flawless, and ends.

The amazing blonde lawyer (terrible with names) is also outstanding in Stan & Ollie, she play's Stan's wife

I loved Goliath cos counter to what Kerraig says about padding i couldn't get enough of BIlly McBride. His personality made S2 bearable but it wasn't the same with a weaker script

2 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Fair enough. I do love a good buffet though.

But what if you know from the get go that everything is leading to something? For example GOT and Better Call Saul are all leading us to a place we know where it's going* but doesn't resolve it each season, we're just seeing a massivly long story inbetween and how it all played out to get there. I guess it's probably different if the show is good enough to keep you interested to see it out though.

*I realise we don't know exactly how GOT ends, but we do know it's leading to a victor on the Iron Throne.

GOT is an interesting one because I have absolutely loved being invested in that world in a way I haven't since the Sopranos. But the last season was utterly dreadful. Being ahead of the books and being show run by people who have clearly lost the love and are trying to tie everything up quickly has seen one of the biggest drops in quality since Sorkin left the West Wing. 

I fear we're going to be left with an unsatisfying conclusion that undermines the whole enterprise and stops it from achieving true greatness. Which will be a massive tragedy for such an incredibly ambitious show. A characters like Littlefinger deserved so much more respect than he got in the final hours, and a well crafted film would never have dropped the ball like that in its third act.

Imagine in Princess Bride, Inigo Montoya finally comes face to face with the six fingered man, and just as he says "Hello, My name is..." a giant rodent of unusual size jumps out of nowhere and eats the six fingered man before he finishes his sentence...

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, linkster said:

The amazing blonde lawyer (terrible with names) is also outstanding in Stan & Ollie, she play's Stan's wife

I loved Goliath cos counter to what Kerraig says about padding i couldn't get enough of BIlly McBride. His personality made S2 bearable but it wasn't the same with a weaker script

Ah yeah I'm not saying TV is worthless. If you just love being with a certain character it has charm. I really like Lie To Me despite it being total trash, simply cos Tim Roth is so watchable.

I was loving the cool quick thinking wiley wit of Jason Bateman in ozark season 1, but when you realise the show is only going to be a loop of him barely scraping through while holding his family together, it loses its charm very quickly...

Ray Donovan was another one where I really loved season 1, but 10 hours was plenty to give me what I needed of that world. 

22 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Yeah, it just doesn't need a second season, in essence. The first season is flawless, and ends.

I'll watch season 1. I love the Billy Bob...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Ah yeah I'm not saying TV is worthless. If you just love being with a certain character it has charm. I really like Lie To Me despite it being total trash, simply cos Tim Roth is so watchable.

I was loving the cool quick thinking wiley wit of Jason Bateman in ozark season 1, but when you realise the show is only going to be a loop of him barely scraping through while holding his family together, it loses its charm very quickly...

Ray Donovan was another one where I really loved season 1, but 10 hours was plenty to give me what I needed of that world. 

For sure it works both ways. There were aspects of American Gods I found appealing enough to see it through and 99% of times I simply would not bother but I hated the lead characters 

27 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

GOT is an interesting one because I have absolutely loved being invested in that world in a way I haven;t since the Sopranos. But the last season was utterly dreadful. Being ahead of the books and being show run by people who have clearly lost the love and are trying to tie everything up quickly has seen one of the biggest drops in quality since Sorkin left the West Wing. 

I fear we're going to be left with an unsatisfying conclusion that undermines the whole enterprise and stops it from achieving true greatness. Which will be a massive tragedy for such an incredibly ambitious show. A characters like Littlefinger deserved so much more respect than he got in the final hours, and a well crafted film would never have dropped the ball like that in its third act.

Imagine in Princess Bride, Inigo Montoya finally comes face to face with the six fingered man, and just as he sayd "Hello, My name is..." a giant rodent of unusual size jumps out of nowhere and eats the six fingered man before he finishes his sentence...

In terms of pacing I agree the last seaosn of GOT was bad, in previous years all that would have taken at least 2 seasons to get through. But in terms of visuals and grandscale, you have to admit it was amazing. Who's to say how Littlefinger should have been, we won't know till the book finally drops really, but GRRM does have a habit of pulling the rug, so maybe thats how it's meant to go down. You'd like to think they're ocnsulting with him on the big moments.

A film would never had made me care about a character like Little Finger in its shortened runtime - my biggest issue with films nowadays is I don't real feel invested in any of the characters or care about them, they are sketches. 

6 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

In terms of pacing I agree the last seaosn of GOT was bad, in previous years all that would have taken at least 2 seasons to get through. But in terms of visuals and grandscale, you have to admit it was amazing. Who's to say how Littlefinger should have been, we won't know till the book finally drops really, but GRRM does have a habit of pulling the rug, so maybe thats how it's meant to go down. You'd like to think they're ocnsulting with him on the big moments.

I thought in terms of plotting and character motivations it was a betrayal of the show. So much stupidity of action and leaps of faith required of the viewer to sell the spectacle.

The whole North of the wall capture a whitewalker subplot was so monumentally contrived and stupid that I now want Cersei Lannister to win. 

6 minutes ago, Gotters said:

A film would never had made me care about a character like Little Finger in its shortened runtime - my biggest issue with films nowadays is I don't real feel invested in any of the characters or care about them, they are sketches. 

Thats pretty sweeping!

If I think of recent films I've watched the best characters I immediately think of are in The Long Short, but I already loved the book and know the world really well - in comparison Wolf of Wallstreet was just a pastiche and did nothing for me.

We agree on GoT though, its obvious they've got bored and are rushing to the end (I posted the same in the GoT thread just this morning) - that almost needs a new thread for stuff that isn't long enough.

I find most things too long nowadays. Movies like Wolf of Wall Street which felt like it was repeating it's own content during the last third bored me to tears after a strong start. Even The Revenant which is excellent in so many ways is not tight enough.

Same with games, Horizon Zero Dawn looks amazing, had an interesting premise and was absolutely ruined with uninspiring busy work. 

Trim the fat, or for games, leave it optional. 

Ironically, I watched Contact the other night (Jodie Foster) and despite being 2h30m it felt like it was absolutely racing through story points by todays standards.

1 hour ago, nakamura said:

I find most things too long nowadays. Movies like Wolf of Wall Street which felt like it was repeating it's own content during the last third bored me to tears after a strong start. Even The Revenant which is excellent in so many ways is not tight enough.

Same with games, Horizon Zero Dawn looks amazing, had an interesting premise and was absolutely ruined with uninspiring busy work. 

Trim the fat, or for games, leave it optional. 

I get that with Games. I started Assisins Creed Origins and gave up very quickly cause it felt overwhelming from the start. Doesn't happen with ever game like RDR2 and Spider-man have felt fine, but these huge fantasy RPGs now leaving me feel like they're a chore.

Movies though, if they're working for me then time means nothing. I watched Outlaw King a few feews back and it's 2h17m long and I could have gone for another hour at least. I know not everyone will have liked it but it was working for me and it felt like it had just got going when it ended.