rllmuk
Majora

Bungie and Activision part ways, Bungie keep Destiny IP

29 minutes ago, Harsin said:

The bit in that book about them leaving MS, complete with staff cheering at a fake old timey Declaration of Independence to celebrate no longer being held back my a mean old publisher is giving me deja vu.

History does repeat itself - I don't think Bungie play all that well with others, or with fetters. I think the key difference here is that they're taking their game, and IP, with them, and not to a new publisher but themselves. We'll see what happens, but it could be a great thing.

7 minutes ago, Harsin said:

The bit in that book about them leaving MS, complete with staff cheering at a fake old timey Declaration of Independence to celebrate no longer being held back my a mean old publisher is giving me deja vu.

So, EA next then.

• Upvote 6

Thought process;

"Oh thank God maybe they'll make something good! Wait the last time they were given anything close to free reign they made Halo 2  and had to build an entirely new graphi s engine from scratch after the e3 2002 demo. But Activision is shit. But it's not like they made the mechanics of Destiny's boring grind linked to Halo's combat. Have you even played that free version of Destiny 2 that you got?"

I wonder if Microsoft would be all "Yes hello here's a cheque for infinity dollars please come and give 343 a swift kick up the jacksie."

1 hour ago, Wiper said:

Yay! Maybe we'll see some new games from Bungie, like the good old days - putting out such an eclectic mix of settings and genres as Marathon, Myth, Oni, Halo...

Oh :(

(I'm hoping it's actually to do with them continuing to support and profit from the existing games while also planning to release some genuinely new stuff, rather than Bungie being entirely sci-fi GaaS-oriented now)

Wait, ONI was Bungie? I loved that game and was simultaneously shit at it. 

Activision would cling onto Destiny for dear life if they saw any kind of future for it, their business model is all about focusing on two or three big brands to the expense of all else and milking those for all they're worth. 

15 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

Are many of the creative people who made the first few Halo games still there?

Alex Seropian left after the first Halo. It was never as good again.

22 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

Wait, ONI was Bungie? I loved that game and was simultaneously shit at it. 

Bungie West - a secondary studio which (IIRC) only produced Oni before closing :(

• Empathy 1

I bet activision were on the hook to provide 100s of millions of funding for advertising and development etc...

I too wish Bungie would do something new though they probably never will.

They will probably die along with destiny in many years to come as it continues to bubble under the surface like one of those MMOs you can’t believe they havn’t switched off yet.

In other news, I have just started playing Destiny 2 again with my mate and am loving it. I never played any of the expansions before. The graphics look lush on Xbox One X. I think the HDR is the best I have seen in a Xbox One X game yet. 

7 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

Are many of the creative people who made the first few Halo games still there?

I think quite a few of their senior people are Halo veterans. Chris Butcher, Shi Kai Wang, Tyson Green, Jason Jones, Chuck Gough, David Dunn, to name a few. 

It's quite exciting, and at the same time slightly worrying, if you enjoy the Destiny games (or some aspects of them). My main concerns about them working without a publisher again for the first time since pre-Halo days are naturally that they won't have enough resources/funding to achieve everything they want, and that without someone keeping them in line they might lose focus and let their ambition - or, more accurately, conflicting ambitions - get in the way of getting the product on the shelves. Bungie have, perhaps wrongly, always struck me as a studio that is very ambitious but sometimes overreaches and can't always assert the discipline necessary to deliver a more focused, achievable end result to deadline. And obviously they've struggled with Destiny so far to churn content out to the schedule agreed with their publisher.

So it'll be interesting to see how that schedule evolves now they're independent of outside publishers. But it'll be nice to support another indie developer, won't it - one who isn't funded by Sony, MS, EA, Activision or the like? Especially if, as they surely will, they continue to develop AAA titles.

• Upvote 1

I can understand why the likes of Schreier are including how the Bungie staff reacted to this news but I hope we see more coverage of what the feeling is like among the staff at High Moon and Vicarious Visions.  Those poor sods look like they are in an awful spot right now. Will they go with Bungie, will Activision reassign them to supporting something like Call of Duty or is it just waiting for the axe to fall? Happy New Year everybody.

• Upvote 1

I've also got some pals at Activision I hope will be okay, but that roster looks slim as fuck right now. COD's on the wane but it's pretty much all that's left (yes there's Blizzard but it's run as a separate entity, at least for now). Eric Hirshberg's hit-factory approach was very short-termist, and I do wonder where they go from here.

It's good for Bungie though, I think. While I get Gorf's point about them maybe needing a stern controlling hand from time to time – and am a bit worried about how a studio of 700 people can become self-sufficient overnight – I think the biggest thing that's held Destiny back is it having to play by Activision's scheduling rules. Like, you must put something big in a box every September, and two DLCs in between. That was already starting to feel old-fashioned when D1 came out, and it's positively archaic now. If they can move to a pattern of smaller, more frequent updates, with the occasional big thing here and there, it'll be better for both the studio and the game, I think.

Also pretty sure this kills the notion of a Destiny 3. They'll lop the number off the end and just keep building it out.

I assumed that this was the point where Bungie started thinking about D3 and Activision have cut their losses because they don't want to pump $500m into a franchise on the decline.

12 hours ago, Flub said:

I'm now super interested in Destiny 3 development. Will much change? Certainly worth watching and it'll give us a good idea how much was Activision's meddling and how much was Bungie.

Activision will have been pressuring them and making suggestions, but ultimately a lot of the awful shit that they've tried to charge people for was Bungie's idea. They're also the ones responsible for canning games a year before release so that the final product is half finished crap. And the terrible communication and contempt for their customers is also all Bungie.

12 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

If I'm honest this was my first thought. I can't think of another reason why they'd go from the state of the game at the end of the first one to the complete bdebacle that was Destiny 2 vanilla.

So they had something to sell to people as "improvements" and "fixes". Otherwise they might have had to actually add some new ideas or mechanics to D2.

11 hours ago, Gizamaluke said:

Yet the half of my friends list still play it every night. Destiny has a hardcore fanbase that's hard to ignore for a developer that clearly loves the concept.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selection_bias

• Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

The funniest outcome of this would be MS acquiring them again as part of their current acquisition spree.

First thought I had was a Microsoft ad appearing halfway through 2019: "Halo Infinite: REINFORCEMENTS ARRIVE" with a bunch of Bungie devs standing in front of some Xbox One-Two dev kits.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Don't they also back up the alternate CoD teams? 

I'm not sure but the last Call of Duty listed on either companies site was Advanced Warfare which came out in 2014. Either way theres a lot of people at those studios facing uncertain futures and I hope their potential plight gets highlighted. 

6 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Also pretty sure this kills the notion of a Destiny 3. They'll lop the number off the end and just keep building it out.

Does that not leave them tied into Battle.net for the PC version? I don't think Tim Sweeney and Mark Rein are congratulating Bungie just out of the goodness of their hearts. 

Like, you must put something big in a box every September, and two DLCs in between. That was already starting to feel old-fashioned when D1 came out, and it's positively archaic now. If they can move to a pattern of smaller, more frequent updates, with the occasional big thing here and there, it'll be better for both the studio and the game, I think.

Eh? Bungie have absolutely struggled to release content even annually, look at all the stuff they cut from D1 (TDB, HOW, Dreadnought, EDZ) and TTK (Io - originally Mars, EDZ), and pushing back D2 by a year, everything since then delivered on time has been other companies work. This idea that actually they could churn out content really quickly and it was Activision holding them back doesn't pass the sniff test.

I doubt it, D2 is dead to a lot of people, even on here discussion has dropped right off - the latest raid didn't have a single post the week it launched.

I'm sure they would prefer to build a new Destiny from the ground up using all the experience gained from making the first two and all the advantages of being independent now, rather than taking existing Destiny 2 and expand upon that 

It'll be really interesting to see how/what they do from here.

They've obviously always struggled to keep up with the demands of content (even with the other Activision studios pitching in for a lot of D2) to keep players playing something. So how much of the release schedule has been Activision demands, and how much has been Bungie I don't really know. Would an Activision-less Bungie have even produced The Dark Below (and how different would the game have been without it, given everything that's followed?)

The Annual Pass for this year has presumably had much lower demands on content creation so far: a few guns, armour pieces and cosmetics (and cosmetics presumably pay for themselves, with Eververse) plus a small Raid and the Forges doesn't feel like it'd add up to as much as the cutscenes, voice acting and so on of a Curse of Osiris or whatever.

Should we expect smaller, better, content expansions, less often? It's obviously impossible from corporate-speak to understand who dumped who, but it seems likely it will have been reasonably mutual. Bungie can't keep up with the demands of an Activision, even with two studios helping.

16 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

I've also got some pals at Activision I hope will be okay, but that roster looks slim as fuck right now. COD's on the wane but it's pretty much all that's left (yes there's Blizzard but it's run as a separate entity, at least for now). Eric Hirshberg's hit-factory approach was very short-termist, and I do wonder where they go from here.

It's good for Bungie though, I think. While I get Gorf's point about them maybe needing a stern controlling hand from time to time – and am a bit worried about how a studio of 700 people can become self-sufficient overnight – I think the biggest thing that's held Destiny back is it having to play by Activision's scheduling rules. Like, you must put something big in a box every September, and two DLCs in between. That was already starting to feel old-fashioned when D1 came out, and it's positively archaic now. If they can move to a pattern of smaller, more frequent updates, with the occasional big thing here and there, it'll be better for both the studio and the game, I think.

I was discussing this last point last night, but thinking almost the opposite. I was sure they'd want to have some fundamental relaunch at some point, because despite having improved D2 massively with Forsaken, surely the numbers have dipped low enough that they won't get enough people to buy back into it? Whereas a relaunch might refresh the series, now advertised as being Pure Bungie, and get fresh blood in again. 

6 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I doubt it, D2 is dead to a lot of people, even on here discussion has dropped right off.

Would a 3 on the end change that though? I can't see myself ever wanting to invest time in a Destiny game again, mainly because after 600 hours across 2 games I actually ended up feeling really negative towards the franchise, which is really rare for me. Usually I either dislike things early or love them, it's incredibly rare for me to get invested in a game to that degree but not remember it very fondly. Although a lot of that problem is me always thinking the game was nearly great but it never quite reaching it's potential, with every new thing promising to achieve that quality but it never quite managing it, so maybe a numbered sequel would have that effect.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Broker said:

Would a 3 on the end change that though? I can't see myself ever wanting to invest time in a Destiny game again, mainly because after 600 hours across 2 games I actually ended up feeling really negative towards the franchise, which is really rare for me. Usually I either dislike things early or love them, it's incredibly rare for me to get invested in a game to that degree but not remember it very fondly. Although a lot of that problem is me always thinking the game was nearly great but it never quite reaching it's potential, with every new thing promising to reach that potential but it never quite reaching it, so maybe a numbered sequel would have that effect.

I think it's easier to try and lure people like you back to the franchise with a brand new game - whether it has a 3 or something else at the end of the title - than trying to convince you that they've changed D2 significantly enough through expansions and patches. That's why I think they will drop D2 ASAP.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Broker said:

Would a 3 on the end change that though? 

Looking around people seem to be irrationally exuberant and thinking this news changes everything, so although I think D3 has had just as messy a development as D2 (remember the talks of it being rebooted), and would disappoint people just as much, I think Bungie could definitely sell it based on "everything bad was not our idea". I mean, they're no strangers to misleading advertising with this series (*looks at skybox* "you can go there someday", or how people here swore up and down that D2 zones would be massive, open, and have settlements within them because of misleading statements from Bungie)

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Eh? Bungie have absolutely struggled to release content even annually, look at all the stuff they cut from D1 (TDB, HOW, Dreadnought, EDZ) and TTK (Io - originally Mars, EDZ), and pushing back D2 by a year, everything since then has been other companies work. This idea that actually they could churn out content really quickly and it was Activision holding them back doesn't pass the sniff test.

I mean, you're sort of making my point. They've struggled to have a big, retail-sized release ready to Activision's very traditional schedule. Updating smaller and more regularly might suit them better.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I'm sure they would prefer to build a new Destiny from the ground up using all the experience gained from making the first two and all the advantages of being independent now, rather than taking existing Destiny 2 and expand upon that 

And yeah this is what I mean, I think anyway. Whether they build on what they have or do something new, it won't have a number at the end.