Majora

Bungie and Activision part ways, Bungie keep Destiny IP

And yeah this is what I mean, I think anyway. Whether they build on what they have or do something new, it won't have a number at the end. 

Ah, right - a new game, then build that one out. Yup, that's exactly what I think. Whether it has '3' at the end or not, it'll still be Destiny. Just New Destiny.

Obviously I know next to nothing about what'll happen to Destiny in the future, but I do know one thing for sure. I can even see the cutscene in my head, which I'm sure has been rendered already in preparation.

It's the one where Tess Everis dies. Put it in the trailer. Massive sales guaranteed.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

I mean, you're sort of making my point. They've struggled to have a big, retail-sized release ready to Activision's very traditional schedule. Updating smaller and more regularly might suit them better.

Really? I mean, you'd struggle to describe Destiny's non-retail content releases as "big", wouldn't you? They're often smaller, lower quality than DLCs for other AAA games but cost significantly more, and that's with other teams helping out and them re-using as many things from D1 as possible. How much smaller or faster could they realistically get?

It's the one where Tess Everis dies. Put in in the trailer. Massive sales guaranteed.

Eververse was Bungies idea.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I think it's easier to try and lure people like you back to the franchise with a brand new game - whether it has a 3 or something else at the end of the title - than trying to convince you that they've changed D2 significantly enough through expansions and patches. That's why I think they will drop D2 ASAP.

Yeah that makes sense. Even after being totally sick of the first one, I gave D2 a lot of time. Whereas I've never gone back and bought No Man's Sky again even though I hear they improved it loads. I already paid for that game and wished I hadn't, I'm not giving them more money because they apparently fixed it.

4 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Looking around people seem to be irrationally exuberant and thinking this news changes everything, so although I think D3 has had just as messy a development as D2 (remember the talks of it being rebooted), and would disappoint people just as much, I think Bungie could definitely sell it based on "everything bad was not our idea". I mean, they're no strangers to misleading advertising with this series (*looks at skybox* "you can go there someday", or how people here swore up and down that D2 zones would be massive, open, and have settlements within them because of misleading statements from Bungie)

This makes a lot of sense. I'd love to know where the mistakes Bungie have made fall on a scale from incompetent to evil. Did they strip all the improvements out of D2 so they could sell us them again or are they genuinely so stupid that after spending years fixing a game they basically re-released the original broken version? Were they really planning a ten year journey with our guardians? Or was that effectively impossible due to changes made to the story of the first game late in development but they just kept saying it anyway? 

@Nate Dogg III Any chance you guys will be getting in touch with Bungie to do a hard-hitting interview on what exactly happened between them and Activision and what their future plans are?

I don’t care what their lawyers say, as the world’s foremost video game magazine, I expect you to get to the truth. 

13 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

people here swore up and down that D2 zones would be massive, open, and have settlements within them

Citation needed.

4 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Really? I mean, you'd struggle to describe Destiny's non-retail content releases as "big", wouldn't you? They're often smaller, lower quality than DLCs for other AAA games but cost significantly more, and that's with other teams helping out and them re-using as many things from D1 as possible. How much smaller or faster could they realistically get?

Curse Of Osiris, widely regarded as the worst DLC Destiny has ever had, was a new patrol space in Mercury, the Infinite Forest, a new Strike, lost sector, public event, adventures, weapon quests and a raid lair, and new exotics. It came out three months after the base game. I think they can get smaller than that, yes.

35 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Curse Of Osiris, widely regarded as the worst DLC Destiny has ever had, was a new patrol space in Mercury, the Infinite Forest, a new Strike, lost sector, public event, adventures, weapon quests and a raid lair, and new exotics. It came out three months after the base game. I think they can get smaller than that, yes.

But would people be happy with that if they weren't with Curse?

People weren't happy with CoO because of the size, they were unhappy with the quality.  The Raid Lair and the strikes were pretty good, but the patrol space wasn't great, and the Infinite Forest was somewhat underwhelming. If they weren't under this rigid schedule, they might have been able to release it piecemeal in smaller drops as and when it was good enough, rather than bundling it all up in the December expansion, and then leaving it all pretty much as it stands because there's another one due in May (assuming that's what happened).

Really hope they make something completely new, for me Destiny just doesn't work - the stuff you do moment to moment isn't remotely as engaging as the Halo series.

I know some guys who did outsourced work on Destiny 1&2, they were due to do a load of work with them in 2018 but, early in the year, had that cut to about a third of what was planned. By way of explanation their point of contact claimed this was due to the franchise, "dying on its arse" sales wise. If the numbers were that bad then I doubt even Microsoft would be interested in investing in Destiny currently. With any luck this will force Bungie to do something new. 

1 minute ago, K said:

The strikes were pretty good, 

The CoO strikes are pretty much also the least popular Strikes, aren't they? (They are for me, at least.) That slog through the Forest for each one really pisses me off. Bar a couple of Tangled Shores ones, the CoO strikes are universally bad. It was a bad expansion. Although I did quite like the Raid.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Gizamaluke said:

Yet the half of my friends list still play it every night. 

Means nothing tbh. The marketing push this franchise had, especially it’s undeserved reputation boosted by Edge’s incessant coverage, it’s no surprise it has a playerbase.

It’s safe to say it underperformed for Activision and Destiny 2 had a lukewarm reception.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

1 minute ago, JPickford said:

Edge can't be significant.

Well the TV ads might’ve helped.

The Edge coverage of Destiny dwarves their coverage of similar GaaS, which Nate has addressed. It’s partly down to how the DLC was re-packaged as a retail release allowing for regular re-appraisal.

Remember when Eververse meant we were going to get free content updates? Then D2 launches and it's just another fucking revenue stream.

3 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

The CoO strikes are pretty much also the least popular Strikes, aren't they? (They are for me, at least.) That slog through the Forest for each one really pisses me off. Bar a couple of Tangled Shores ones, the CoO strikes are universally bad. It was a bad expansion. Although I did quite like the Raid.

I dunno, are they less popular than Exodus Crash? That's the only one I actively dislike. I've never really quite understood people's beef with the Forest, it's the same every time, but you could say that about any strike. It looks amazing, and I enjoy leaping around the open structure.

I take this to mean Destiny is still big enough to sustain Bungie but not big enough to be worth Activision’s while. 

Will be interesting to see what comes of it. No doubt Activision helped to shape the franchise but not all of the blame can be laid at their feet. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, K said:

I dunno, are they less popular than Exodus Crash? That's the only one I actively dislike. I've never really quite understood people's beef with the Forest, it's the same every time, but you could say that about any strike. It looks amazing, and I enjoy leaping around the open structure.

I just find the forest a pain in the hole, it's something you rush through to get to the actual fun bit.  The Halloween thing was the only time I enjoyed it.  I particularly dislike the strike where you start the other side of the map to the forest entrance and you can't even get your sparrow out to save a couple of seconds.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I think it's easier to try and lure people like you back to the franchise with a brand new game - whether it has a 3 or something else at the end of the title - than trying to convince you that they've changed D2 significantly enough through expansions and patches. That's why I think they will drop D2 ASAP.

Yup. I think this as well. However I don't think Bungies internal processes will have changed enough for them to actually produce a D3 that's any good once you get past the initial look. It's quite sad because there's some lovely world building in there and obviously their signature good quality gunplay.

At the same time they're working in Destiny 3 they're also on the hook to deliver whatever their new IP is for NetEase, who've given them $100 million to make it.

Activision would have been fully privy to how development of Destiny 3 was going and makes me wonder if it factored into their decision to allow Bungie to leave their contract, since they've been pretty public about being unhappy with the performance of Destiny 2.

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

But would people be happy with that if they weren't with Curse?

What happened to your trap Jonathan?

There's tons of great stuff there well past the 'initial look' - the best of the game, in fact. The problem is that relatively few people actually try it, or even want to try it due to the effort or difficulty involved, including the requirement to form proper teams to tackle it. See post above. There may be an insufficient audience for that sort of thing these days. The era of the online raid party, and all that entails, may be over. I'm sure some would say 'good riddance'. But it's high quality. You can feel the love and pride put into the design of (most of) the raids.

15 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

Is it really sustainable to keep developing your best content, the stuff that showcases and for many epitomises the unique qualities of the game, for so few people?

This is always going to be the issue with content like this and it's one MMOs in particular struggle with to a large degree. I'm not sure there's an easy solution to it apart from ditching that content. Part of the problem is the sheer amount of man hours and money that needs to go into these carefully crafted set pieces. As you say. The hardcore love them but the bulk of the playerbase end up having to watch a streamer play them.