Majora

Bungie and Activision part ways, Bungie keep Destiny IP

Holy crap

We have enjoyed a successful eight-year run and would like to thank Activision for their partnership on Destiny. Looking ahead, we’re excited to announce plans for Activision to transfer publishing rights for Destiny to Bungie. With our remarkable Destiny community, we are ready to publish on our own, while Activision will increase their focus on owned IP projects.

The planned transition process is already underway in its early stages, with Bungie and Activision both committed to making sure the handoff is as seamless as possible.

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/47569

• Upvote 4

I'm now super interested in Destiny 3 development. Will much change? Certainly worth watching and it'll give us a good idea how much was Activision's meddling and how much was Bungie.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mawdlin said:

As much as I've enjoyed Destiny I'd much rather see Bungie develop something new. Doubtful.

They got a load of investment from some Chinese company last year to develop something unannounced, but new and not Destiny. 

Bungie and Activision part ways

Yay! Maybe we'll see some new games from Bungie, like the good old days - putting out such an eclectic mix of settings and genres as Marathon, Myth, Oni, Halo...

we’re excited to announce plans for Activision to transfer publishing rights for Destiny to Bungie.

Oh :(

(I'm hoping it's actually to do with them continuing to support and profit from the existing games while also planning to release some genuinely new stuff, rather than Bungie being entirely sci-fi GaaS-oriented now)

I think people who’ve constructed a narrative in their heads* that evil Activision were responsible for all the ills of Destiny and its sequel and now that they're out of the picture everything is going to be gum drop trees and chocolate rivers are going to be in for bitter disappointment.

* Not here, but check out the equivalent thread to this on Resetera,

• Upvote 7

14 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

As much as I've enjoyed Destiny I'd much rather see Bungie develop something new. Doubtful.

I originally felt that way about Halo before they split from Microsoft... :hmm:

7 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I originally felt that way about Halo before they split from Microsoft... :hmm:

Be careful what you wish for!

Like @Wiper I hope this will free Bungie up to do something else besides all GaaS, all the time. I used to love their traditional, non-GaaS stuff.

17 minutes ago, Harsin said:

I think people who’ve constructed a narrative in their heads* that evil Activision were responsible for all the ills of Destiny and its sequel and now that they're out of the picture everything is going to be gum drop trees and chocolate rivers are going to be in for bitter disappointment.

* Not here, but check out the equivalent thread to this on Resetera,

If I'm honest this was my first thought. I can't think of another reason why they'd go from the state of the game at the end of the first one to the complete bdebacle that was Destiny 2 vanilla.

I loved Halo for a few years and Destiny for a few years but it would be strange if creative people didn't want to move on. For me Bungie get the *feel* of shooter better than anyone else even if some of the narrative stuff can be a bit naff. Excited to see what they'll come up with and hope it'll be fresh IP.

2 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Odd that people seem to be thinking this is a victory for Bungie and Destiny rather than Activision cutting their losses on a declining mess!

The resetera thread is crazy. All Activision's fault apparently. 

I wonder if there was an opt out clause for Actvision that triggered an opportunity for then to get out of the contract. Maybe a sales or revenue target that Bungie have missed.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ontwofronts said:

Both Destiny games had a lot of polish but neither were special games. The first got better with updates. The second just never got going.

Yet the half of my friends list still play it every night. Destiny has a hardcore fanbase that's hard to ignore for a developer that clearly loves the concept.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, gospvg said:

I wonder if there was an opt out clause for Actvision that triggered an opportunity for then to get out of the contract. Maybe a sales or revenue target that Bungie have missed.

It's no real secret that Activision were unhappy with the performance of the Forsaken expansion. 

With Call of Duty still performing excellently (though not quite the behemoth it was 5-10 years ago) and Overwatch now in their roster, maybe Activision just don't feel like they need Destiny like they did at the start of the gen?

38 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

My gut is that this is all because Bungie want to do more Destiny and Activision don't. I guess time will tell.

I hope it’s the other way around.

Bungie have tried the MMOFPSGAAS thing and have realised, after a valiant attempt, that it doesn’t really work. Activision want to hold them to their 10 year deal, but Bungie have had enough and want to get back to creating a more traditional story based FPS, building on all the things they’ve learnt from their Destiny development combined with everything they learnt while on Halo duties, and the only way they’ve been able to do that is to buy Activision out of the deal.

I hope they bring back Marathon.

7 minutes ago, JPL said:

I hope it’s the other way around.

Bungie have tried the MMOFPSGAAS thing and have realised, after a valiant attempt, that it doesn’t really work.

It could totally work. They just kept doing a shit job of it.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 2

2 minutes ago, Flub said:

It could totally work. They just kept doing a shit job of it.

If Bungie can’t make it work, nobody can.

Anyway, I was really just fantasising about how I hope this plays out. In reality it’s probably closer to what @Majora says, unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, JPL said:

If Bungie can’t make it work, nobody can.

Utter rubbish. Can't believe you typed that with a straight face :)

• Upvote 4

Just now, Flub said:

Utter rubbish. Can't believe you typed that with a straight face :)

I didn’t! You should have read my second sentence where I explained I was in dreamland!

2 minutes ago, JPL said:

I didn’t! You should have read my second sentence where I explained I was in dreamland!

:) I have to admit I'd also like to see Bungie do a nice co-op story driven FPS. I think they're too wedded to Destiny at the moment though.

Jason Schreier works at Kotaku. Wrote this book.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blood-Sweat-Pixels-Triumphant-Turbulent-ebook/dp/B01NAKSWW1/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1547162125&sr=8-1&keywords=blood+sweat+and+video+games

Part of it is about Destiny development I believe

The bit in that book about them leaving MS, complete with staff cheering at a fake old timey Declaration of Independence to celebrate no longer being held back my a mean old publisher is giving me deja vu.

• Upvote 5