PeteBrant

Best one hit wonder of all time

18 hours ago, Festoon said:

Jaysus, that's incredibly sad.

It must be awful to have large initial success and then struggle to sell albums. Mercury Prize curse.

I do think it was all connected, he had the best job in the world but started acting like it was all a massive inconvenience to him.  I think it affected his songwriting, which contributed to the dry up of album sales.  You can make a good living out of music, just doing what you love without being massive (look at someone like Steven Wilson), but if you start treating your loyal fans badly that'll go wrong very quickly.

21 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

I do think it was all connected, he had the best job in the world but started acting like it was all a massive inconvenience to him.  I think it affected his songwriting, which contributed to the dry up of album sales.  You can make a good living out of music, just doing what you love without being massive (look at someone like Steven Wilson), but if you start treating your loyal fans badly that'll go wrong very quickly.

I saw a video of the gig described in that article you linked to and he just seemed desperately unhappy but taking it out on the people that paid to see him is just self-destructive and made him seem a massive knob. I remember thinking around the About A Boy period that movie soundtracks would turn into a career for him.

A bit of humility and a bit of hard work can really pay off - look at Clint Mansell. 

• Upvote 1

This just missed out Top Ten in the UK, but was top 3 pretty much everywhere else in the world

Yes.The chorus sounds totally like an Abba song. But sung by Boney M.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, gone fishin' said:

This just missed out Top Ten in the UK, but was top 3 pretty much everywhere else in the world

Sssh, no one tell him...

• Upvote 2

On 05/03/2019 at 17:07, gone fishin' said:

Benny Anderson and Bjorn Ulvaeus were co-writers of this (as well as the rest of the Chess album/musical, along with Tim Rice), so that explains the ABBA similarities.

Do movie tracks count?

Not just a top 10, but #1 in the UK. Partners In Kryme released 1 more song after this that charted at 92 in the UK, and nowhere anywhere else. They also released a new track in 2015 after apparently doing nothing for 15 years, which also charted nowhere.

I don't think you can really claim Tracy Chapman as a one hit wonder. Just from a quick look on Wikipedia, her first five albums sold between 500,000 and 5 million copies each. Not really a singles artist, but someone who seems to sell lots of albums (probably to various people's mums).

Might as well have Pink Floyd, with Another Brick in the Wall... except, of course, that the Syd Barrett incarnation had top 20 hits with 'Arnold Layne' and 'See Emily Play' a decade before.

So not that similar after all! Maybe Zep would be another example - although I don't think they released a UK single at all.

21 hours ago, K said:

I don't think you can really claim Tracy Chapman as a one hit wonder. Just from a quick look on Wikipedia, her first five albums sold between 500,000 and 5 million copies each. Not really a singles artist, but someone who seems to sell lots of albums (probably to various people's mums).

The rules are PeteBrant’s, not mine!

I can't think of anything else Julian Lennon has released - though I'm sure he has released a few. I also really like this track, it's still poignant.

Famous Dad, I know. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/03/2019 at 13:25, smac said:

Might as well have Pink Floyd, with Another Brick in the Wall... except, of course, that the Syd Barrett incarnation had top 20 hits with 'Arnold Layne' and 'See Emily Play' a decade before.

So not that similar after all! Maybe Zep would be another example - although I don't think they released a UK single at all.

https://www.officialcharts.com/ is a nice little resource.

By the thread rules, Pink Floyd are also out due to getting into the top 20 with a couple of songs from The Division Bell.

Zep never hit the top 10, so are nothing, a zero hit wonder ;) 

Chvrches are a nice modern example of this sort of thing too. (i'm not comparing them to Led Zep!)  Music in games, used on TV, 3 albums, all in the top 10, how many singles in the top 40?  1 - peaking at number 38.

I like the discussion of these album based artists, but the fact of the matter is, they didn't have (singles chart) a hit.  I bet there are some that had no hits at the time, but due to changes in chart classification rules in more recent years, with downloads, they get there from a song used in a film / game / TV show...

Oh.... and this:

My dad was a fan of Journey, so they are a band I grew up with, I guess due to them being played in my youth, I never realised that they weren't all that popular in the UK anyway, not sure about elsewhere.  I guess they are probably more known now than ever via Glee.  It's a shame, imo anyway, that this is the only song that seems to get any recognition...

I stand corrected - Thompson Twins? Wow. Completely forgotten that - my first thoughts were Frankie, Journey and probably Kiss. And a vague feeling that Frank Sidebottom might have been in a music-related game, but he's not really a rock star.

12 minutes ago, smac said:

I stand corrected - Thompson Twins? Wow. Completely forgotten that - my first thoughts were Frankie, Journey and probably Kiss. And a vague feeling that Frank Sidebottom might have been in a music-related game, but he's not really a rock star.

Chris Sievey wrote it himself

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Biz_(video_game)

• Upvote 1

On 15/03/2019 at 09:46, Freeman said:

Oh.... and this:

My dad was a fan of Journey, so they are a band I grew up with, I guess due to them being played in my youth, I never realised that they weren't all that popular in the UK anyway, not sure about elsewhere.  I guess they are probably more known now than ever via Glee.  It's a shame, imo anyway, that this is the only song that seems to get any recognition...

Not all bands are popular in all countries, a bit like this one-hit wonder business, where some bands only managed a single hit in the UK, but still had a career due to success elsewhere. Journey were big in their home country, I'd certainly never heard of them until recently.