Nvidia Shield GeForce Now

I just had a very quick go with Metro Last Light using a pad. I'm a massive sceptic when it comes to this sort of cloud based streaming thing but I was pretty damn impressed if I'm honest. And while I'm not sure anything M+K driven would be quite as acceptable, I think I could very easily play through a bunch of single player stuff (with a pad) using this.

1 minute ago, stefcha said:

So when I could use this on my Shield TV for free I now can't use it for free? Or is it still free on that hardware? Not that I did use it much, found the streaming a bit shit in comparison to just streaming locally from the PC.

Based on the email Nvidia sent out you can still use it for an hour at a time. If you pay them you get unlimited session lengths and it seems to imply that you get to play at higher quality settings. You also get a 90 day trial of the premium service if you were in the Beta.

48 minutes ago, Sie said:

I just had a very quick go with Metro Last Light using a pad. I'm a massive sceptic when it comes to this sort of cloud based streaming thing but I was pretty damn impressed if I'm honest. And while I'm not sure anything M+K driven would be quite as acceptable, I think I could very easily play through a bunch of single player stuff (with a pad) using this.

I had a quick go with Disco Elysium using a mouse and keyboard. I realise it's hardly twitch gaming, but I was impressed with how snappily the cursor responded to the mouse. There was no perceptible lag as far as I could tell.

I'm sure Counter-Strike eSports types would turn their noses up, but I think this will be absolutely fine for mouse and keyboard controls. I might have a go on Doom later to test the waters.

On 04/02/2020 at 22:05, Mogster said:

I had a quick go with Disco Elysium using a mouse and keyboard. I realise it's hardly twitch gaming, but I was impressed with how snappily the cursor responded to the mouse. There was no perceptible lag as far as I could tell.

I've just had a little go of that on my phone, I am pretty impressed.  Now I just need to work out how to connect a gamepad.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m having issues with this. Works fine on my desktop (where the games are actually installed), but when I try and run a game on my laptop, in opens up an instance of Steam and wants me to install the game.

What’s going wrong? Googled it, but can’t find anything.

On 06/02/2020 at 17:53, carlospie said:

I'm really pissed that half the games I bought have just disappeared due to publishers issues. I guess that's the risk with these services 

This is a very good point and I suspect you will not be alone.  Assume it is covered in the T+C's?

9 hours ago, theredstar said:

I’m having issues with this. Works fine on my desktop (where the games are actually installed), but when I try and run a game on my laptop, in opens up an instance of Steam and wants me to install the game.

What’s going wrong? Googled it, but can’t find anything.

well (its how it works), when you log in you are essentially connecting to an "instance of a machine" , so to play,  you need to "install" the game to the "machine"

Just click install, it wont take long, and off you go!

it does the same when you want to run a game that you dont happen to have on your currant machine to see how it works...Doom..its always Doom...and i'm oddly always impressed by how "unlaggy" it feels!? i mean, shit, in comparison to say Horizon onf the PS4, it feels local!

16 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

well (its how it works), when you log in you are essentially connecting to an "instance of a machine" , so to play,  you need to "install" the game to the "machine"

Just click install, it wont take long, and off you go!

it does the same when you want to run a game that you dont happen to have on your currant machine to see how it works...Doom..its always Doom...and i'm oddly always impressed by how "unlaggy" it feels!? i mean, shit, in comparison to say Horizon onf the PS4, it feels local!

Oh, OK that makes sense. I assumed it would all happen transparently, and it would just work with less input from me. 

ahhh, nah. lol. Geforce now is sort of...an extension of YOUR current system. So, if you have steam with some games, and an old laptop, or GPD win 32  lying around ,you could use that to stream the games you own...that are supported (see above about games now not working after coming out of beta!?!)

whereas what you are asking about "less input" is more stadia. the difference being , that geforce now actually works!

Bethesda have now pulled their games as well (aside from Wolfenstein Youngblood). 

Signed up the Founders package as an easy way in letting the kids play my Steam library on their shitty laptop and it works a treat but at this rate there will be nothing left to play on the service so will be cancelling as the very limited selection of compatible games is not worth £5 per month.

A real shame greed is breaking such a great service as it really does work impressively well even over my slightly spotty wifi

Yeah. Shame some of the bigger publishers are pulling their games out. For us it was really easy to get our game on there and supported. Simply sent them an email saying we’d had a couple of players request it and what can we do to make it happen and we got a reply saying it’d be up and running in the next couple of days.

Tried it via one of the codes they gave us and it works really well.

6 hours ago, Bojangle said:

Yeah. Shame some of the bigger publishers are pulling their games out. For us it was really easy to get our game on there and supported. Simply sent them an email saying we’d had a couple of players request it and what can we do to make it happen and we got a reply saying it’d be up and running in the next couple of days.

Tried it via one of the codes they gave us and it works really well.

whats the name of your game?

10 hours ago, 5R7 said:

its really odd, as , well, people still have to BUY the game ....

This industry is going through a paradigm shift in how games are consumed. The fact that console and PC games have such different pricing has to give at some point and the move to subscription services means they need control over their back catalogues which will make up the bulk of subs.

On 21/02/2020 at 22:15, 5R7 said:

ahhh, nah. lol. Geforce now is sort of...an extension of YOUR current system. So, if you have steam with some games, and an old laptop, or GPD win 32  lying around ,you could use that to stream the games you own...that are supported (see above about games now not working after coming out of beta!?!)

whereas what you are asking about "less input" is more stadia. the difference being , that geforce now actually works!

Geforce NOW has more in common with something like xCloud than it does Stadia (which works about as well in terms of being a streaming gaming platform). You can play existing games which have been copyright holder licensed for use on the service, and as it turns out Copyright holders have a thing about getting recompensed when some middleman attempts to make a moneyprinting business out of using their content without paying them a license fee, I wonder why.

If you want to play all your games, you have to pay up for a leased PC service like Shadow instead (until the copyright holders put in place some new T&Cs if that becomes too popular I presume).

I wonder what deals any of these other non-officially launched game streaming services are going to have to do to persuade the content providers to allow them to use their games on these services. They only sold you the end-user license to run on a local box, not for you to use on a remote box operated by a large Multi-$Billion publicly traded for-profit corporation from a data centre.

1 hour ago, mushashi said:

nd as it turns out Copyright holders have a thing about getting recompensed when some middleman attempts to make a moneyprinting business out of using their content without paying them a license fee, I wonder why.

thats just it tho, they have ben recompensed, by the person having to buy the game to play it?

I mean think about it, the appear to be complaining as you would pay nvidia to play the game...but...if you have an nvidia graphics card, you have already paid nvidia to play there game. They arnt giving them away.

It would be nice to hear from say bethesda, why they pulled there games, as to play them , you have to buy them.

I don't think xcloud will have quite the same issues. It's not like there will be any other way to stream Xbox games, so there's no chance for a publisher to set up a competing service. Also going forwards I imagine Microsoft will make xcloud a requirement of releasing games on their platform.

The Geforce Now situation is a bit weird. By all account, Bethesda and Activision were on board for the beta, and Nvidia assumed they had permission to keep their games around for the launch. Clearly the publishers had other ideas though.

I'm not really sure whether Nvidia or these two publishers are the ones taking the piss here. It depends whether you see Geforce Now as its own thing, like xcloud or Netflix, or just a gateway to games on Steam and other existing platforms.

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

I don't think xcloud will have quite the same issues. It's not like there will be any other way to stream Xbox games, so there's no chance for a publisher to set up a competing service. Also going forwards I imagine Microsoft will make xcloud a requirement of releasing games on their platform.

The Geforce Now situation is a bit weird. By all account, Bethesda and Activision were on board for the beta, and Nvidia assumed they had permission to keep their games around for the launch. Clearly the publishers had other ideas though.

I'm not really sure whether Nvidia or these two publishers are the ones taking the piss here. It depends whether you see Geforce Now as its own thing, like xcloud or Netflix, or just a gateway to games on Steam and other existing platforms.

NVidia have generally been ok with releases I think?   I'd imagine this is much more a publisher thing where they've used the BETA as easy PR to show streaming works for their games and now want to try to get a second bite of the profit cherry. Fuck em.

On 21/02/2020 at 22:39, dreamylittledream said:

Bethesda have now pulled their games as well (aside from Wolfenstein Youngblood). 

Signed up the Founders package as an easy way in letting the kids play my Steam library on their shitty laptop and it works a treat but at this rate there will be nothing left to play on the service so will be cancelling as the very limited selection of compatible games is not worth £5 per month.

A real shame greed is breaking such a great service as it really does work impressively well even over my slightly spotty wifi

So can I assume Doom is part of this!? - I have just purchased it to play on this service as my PC isn't up to it along with upgrading to Sky Fibre Max to get the most out of it.  What a waste of time and money that was then! :facepalm:

On 22/02/2020 at 08:21, rafaqat said:

whats the name of your game?

Trailmakers. :)

Not sure what the deal is with the Bethesda stuff, could well be breaching existing contracts they've made with Microsoft/Sony for having their stuff on Game Pass/PSNow.

33 minutes ago, Parappa said:

So can I assume Doom is part of this!? - I have just purchased it to play on this service as my PC isn't up to it along with upgrading to Sky Fibre Max to get the most out of it.  What a waste of time and money that was then! :facepalm:

if you got the game on steam you can refund it.

as for the internet...well...why wouldn't you want that speed anyway :P

1 minute ago, bradigor said:

I keep meaning to pick that up. Looks fun. Assume no plans for other formats than PC / Xbox?

We're busy bringing it across to PS4 at the minute, we'd love to do it on Switch but we'd ultimately need to cut it down quite a bit to make it work well enough.

1 minute ago, Bojangle said:

We're busy bringing it across to PS4 at the minute, we'd love to do it on Switch but we'd ultimately need to cut it down quite a bit to make it work well enough.

That's fair enough. I'll look at doing a review for Mental Health Gaming when it comes. I like the idea of tghe sandbox mode for unwinding and de-stressing. 

1 minute ago, bradigor said:

That's fair enough. I'll look at doing a review for Mental Health Gaming when it comes. I like the idea of tghe sandbox mode for unwinding and de-stressing. 

If I forget, poke me when it launches (hopefully within a month, fingers crossed) and I'll send you a key. :)