carlospie

Nvidia Shield GeForce Now

10 hours ago, Nifta said:

I can use my wired 360 controller just fine. Wonder why the elite doesnt work for you..

I can use a stock XBOX one controller wireless and wired, but as soon as my elite gets wired in the controls either no longer function or has some crazy remapping going on. 

20 hours ago, PC Master Race said:

Why should Apple have deserved 30% of any sale made via that streaming app?

You want to do any business on our turf, that'll be 30% and we ain't even going to say please. Valve's app was only to allow streaming of games from your existing library and not to sell you iOS apps, yet they got blocked anyway for 'business conflict' reasons so it didn't matter if no money was changing hands in that example.

19 hours ago, carlospie said:

Just uograded to 350 meg internet, can now play any game smooth as silk with all resolutions unlocked 

What max resolution are you getting? 

I’m on virgin 350 meg and I’m getting 1080p 60. Are there higher resolutions? 

You can set the shield to 1080 60 then bump up in game res, I think. I’m running on a 50 inch tv so looks really good. Genuinely indistinguishable from playing an actual console now. (Except playing FPS games which are too hard to compete on online with a pad)

iv been hammering shadow of war and it looks absolutely epic as did resi 2

I'm gonna need all this explaining. First up, all I'd tried so far was Tomb Raider (the first one in the "Free Nvidia Games" featured bit on the main Shield TV dash). It was fine, but looked a little soft to my eyes, decent but certainly nowhere as near as good as playing native. I've also got the Steam Link beta app installed, so I gave that a go, again ran fine. Comparing the two, I'd say the Steam Link version looked better, but that's running off my local network. Got a few more options to compare, and I might shift it to a direct link to the router as well to really see how much of a difference that makes. 

It's after that I get confused. I presume that I'm running Steam on an instance on one of their servers and then using my Shield TV as a client to that remote Steam instance, right? If that's the case, how do I see the spec of the machine it's running on? I know it doesn't matter as long as it works, more a point of interest, but given in that situation it looks like I need to install the games I want to play (that I own, on my Steam account) then it's be useful to know how much space I have - if it's even limited - for example. How do you change the settings, I see "set the shield to 1080 60" above but where's the option to do that? Obviously I can see settings while ingame, but other than that nothing.

Finally when not doing things within Steam itself it's a pain viewing the list of Geforce Now games and trying to work out from there what I do and do not own already, and on which platform, I wish I could just input all my details for all stores and have a curated list of what I own. As it is, I can see there's a link to a "store" for Steam and battle.net, which is actually a link to the client for both, but there doesn't seem to be one for Uplay and I only realised there was support there when I happened to chance across Assassin's Creed 4 and wondered why it was listed twice and why one had a Steam icon on it when most games don't - I own that one on Uplay so was able to give it a go via that, the one without the Steam icon being the Uplay one. Needs a bit more user friendliness, I think. Or I'm being shit. Anyway, from what I did try of AC4 it looks miles better running on a 1080p monitor off my PC than it does on a 4k TV over Geforce Now, and I may need to faff with the TV settings and Shield TV wiring (I was on wifi then, not ideal) but it was hugely more responsive on PC locally as well. I will say, for non Shield controller users (which I presume lets you use the touchpad for keyboard input, or some combo somehow? The battle.net launcher just sits there and doesn't let you do anything with it with an Xbox One controller) that the Shield TV app is great, just turns your mobile device into like a little laptop touchpad type thing with keyboard access. I never think to check but again only chanced on it while searching the net for some solution why doesn't the machine tell you to use it?! 

Whatever. So far the best I can say is things are playable and the tech is impressive, but its far from as good as what I can manage be playing 12 ft away on the local PC. 

Yeah, agree with all of that. The UI is a bit of a mess and just has too many sources. Just tell me what I can play now, please, without giving money to one of like six different stores. I've also found that games look a bit washed out, which is to be expected. I'm on WiFi too (my homeplugs are only 500MB) and while the network test reckons my conditions are 'optimal' for streaming there's a good bit of lag and it repeats inputs for a second or more too frequently for comfort. I went to turn to the side a bit in Destiny and spun on the spot four times instead. 

Re the keyboard, hold down start and it brings up a menu from which you can pull up an onscreen keyboard. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, stefcha said:

I'm gonna need all this explaining. First up, all I'd tried so far was Tomb Raider (the first one in the "Free Nvidia Games" featured bit on the main Shield TV dash). It was fine, but looked a little soft to my eyes, decent but certainly nowhere as near as good as playing native. I've also got the Steam Link beta app installed, so I gave that a go, again ran fine. Comparing the two, I'd say the Steam Link version looked better, but that's running off my local network. Got a few more options to compare, and I might shift it to a direct link to the router as well to really see how much of a difference that makes. 

It's after that I get confused. I presume that I'm running Steam on an instance on one of their servers and then using my Shield TV as a client to that remote Steam instance, right? If that's the case, how do I see the spec of the machine it's running on? I know it doesn't matter as long as it works, more a point of interest, but given in that situation it looks like I need to install the games I want to play (that I own, on my Steam account) then it's be useful to know how much space I have - if it's even limited - for example. How do you change the settings, I see "set the shield to 1080 60" above but where's the option to do that? Obviously I can see settings while ingame, but other than that nothing.

Finally when not doing things within Steam itself it's a pain viewing the list of Geforce Now games and trying to work out from there what I do and do not own already, and on which platform, I wish I could just input all my details for all stores and have a curated list of what I own. As it is, I can see there's a link to a "store" for Steam and battle.net, which is actually a link to the client for both, but there doesn't seem to be one for Uplay and I only realised there was support there when I happened to chance across Assassin's Creed 4 and wondered why it was listed twice and why one had a Steam icon on it when most games don't - I own that one on Uplay so was able to give it a go via that, the one without the Steam icon being the Uplay one. Needs a bit more user friendliness, I think. Or I'm being shit. Anyway, from what I did try of AC4 it looks miles better running on a 1080p monitor off my PC than it does on a 4k TV over Geforce Now, and I may need to faff with the TV settings and Shield TV wiring (I was on wifi then, not ideal) but it was hugely more responsive on PC locally as well. I will say, for non Shield controller users (which I presume lets you use the touchpad for keyboard input, or some combo somehow? The battle.net launcher just sits there and doesn't let you do anything with it with an Xbox One controller) that the Shield TV app is great, just turns your mobile device into like a little laptop touchpad type thing with keyboard access. I never think to check but again only chanced on it while searching the net for some solution why doesn't the machine tell you to use it?! 

Whatever. So far the best I can say is things are playable and the tech is impressive, but its far from as good as what I can manage be playing 12 ft away on the local PC. 

From what I can gather, this is spec of what the GeForce Now games are running on

Spoiler

b1k4ff9pe2i01.jpg

bgP8FCD.jpg

And yes you are correct that you will be firing up an instance of Steam on their servers and using the Shield as a client. Did you try changing the graphics settings in Tomb Raider? Had mine set to 4k Ultra. Looked great and the benchmark reports Average FPS @ 65 (min 48.4/ max76). YMMV but I have 100Mbps wired and they use adaptive bitrate streaming to scale the quality based on bandwidth. They also don't recommend going higher than 1080p/60 in any game settings due to the bandwidth needed.

Also I don't have my Shield set to 1080/60, it's set to 4K/60. You can change the resolution using the settings icon (the gear shaped one) at the top right of the main Shield Menu under Display & Sound. I may be missing something but why would anyone set it to 1080 while using a 4K screen?

In the "actual" Steam Link app, the game will be running on your PC so will be limited to how that performs graphically.

The only files that are installed are probably just the icons/banner for displaying on your menu as the Shield reports that the size of Tomb Raider install is only 131 kb. Remember, it's not running on the Shield, only streaming to it. The games are installed on the server side and if your game supports it, the saves are synced with your relevant account. (I can only speak about Steam as I haven't tried Battle.Net or UPlay)

Totally agree on the interface though. They definitely need a way to highlight which of your games can run

• Upvote 2

On 11/01/2019 at 20:06, carlospie said:

Re2 demo on full settings. Note this is NOT supported and runs great, just install on steam 

https://youtu.be/NqFuVqtyvLo

The flowers on your wallpaper give the effect of some sort of super sophisticated ambilight, like the telly is projecting bloody handprints on to it or something. 

• Upvote 1