carlospie

Nvidia Shield GeForce Now

13 hours ago, hub2 said:

Does't the Switch share a lot of the innards with the Nvidia Shield? I use Geforce Now a bit on my Mac and it's fantastic.

It's literally the exact same SoC in both.

But you don't need specifically what is in the hardware to enable it, GeForce NOW is available on normal PCs too, just the same as any other streaming platform could be made available.

The only thing stopping most hardware supporting a streaming service is purely political.

As I said a few times before, supporting a streaming service would make the Switch effectively future-proofed, but Nintendo will never do it because somebody else is making most of the money out of it.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, mushashi said:

But you don't need specifically what is in the hardware to enable it, GeForce NOW is available on normal PCs too, just the same as any other streaming platform could be made available.

The only thing stopping most hardware supporting a streaming service is purely political.

As I said a few times before, supporting a streaming service would make the Switch effectively future-proofed, but Nintendo will never do it because somebody else is making most of the money out of it.

Precisely. All about the monies. 

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

I'd love the Switch to offer GeForce Now.

Switch offers Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Resident Evil 7 as streaming versions in Japan. So there is precedent.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Jazz Glands said:

I tried this, but couldn’t get it working. Do you have a link to a guide that worked for you please? :) 

I haven't had the time to try any of the methods yet :)

I'm on holiday soon so I'll have some spare time to mess around and I'll post my results here

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, mushashi said:

But they are already doing it aren't they?

I'd love to know the behind the scenes skinny around that with Ubisoft and Capcom for AC:O and RE7. I think they're testing the waters. Also interesting that Google are also testing PC streaming Project Stream and also using AC:O. Are they related somehow?

1 hour ago, hub2 said:

Switch offers Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Resident Evil 7 as streaming versions in Japan. So there is precedent.

What is so different about Japan's internet infrastructure that the rest of the world can't get the same?

8 hours ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

No consoles or sky or cable box or anything? :blink:

These do look like impressive little things, but the controller looks massive and uncomfortable.

Yep, nothing else. 

Our cable provider (ComHem, I live in Sweden) has an app that you can install on it and stream all live channels (and catch up services). They gave us a tivo box too but i've never actually plugged it in to the telly as I didn't see any reason to. Plus there are apps for netflix/spotify/iplayer etc etc for all other telly and music stuff. The Shield has enough grunt that all the apps are nice and snappy to use, unlike the lag-fest of using most apps natively  installed on smart tellies.

I sold my xbox a while ago and just stream my PC games to the telly via the Shield now (either from my local PC in the spare room on Gamestream, or cloud streaming on GeForce Now). The controller's actually really nice for gaming. It looks like a nightmare but is pretty good. But you can use ps4/xb1 pads wirelessly on it too if you prefer.  

23 minutes ago, Nifta said:

Yep, nothing else. 

Our cable provider (ComHem, I live in Sweden) has an app that you can install on it and stream all live channels (and catch up services). They gave us a tivo box too but i've never actually plugged it in to the telly as I didn't see any reason to. Plus there are apps for netflix/spotify/iplayer etc etc for all other telly and music stuff. The Shield has enough grunt that all the apps are nice and snappy to use, unlike the lag-fest of using most apps natively  installed on smart tellies.

I sold my xbox a while ago and just stream my PC games to the telly via the Shield now (either from my local PC in the spare room on Gamestream, or cloud streaming on GeForce Now). The controller's actually really nice for gaming. It looks like a nightmare but is pretty good. But you can use ps4/xb1 pads wirelessly on it too if you prefer.  

I only have this under my tv now too. Does everything my fire tv did more 

The controller is great - easily comparible to Xbox pad even though the angled design looks like it would be agony on your hands. I do find the lack of android games etc on it via the included play store a bit disappointing as I'm sure I've a few I've bought that would be compatible. 

I'll be interested to see what price Geforce Now comes in at when it goes live.

There are quite a few games I've had that, if you visit the play store on a pc web browser, will allow you to select your shield as an install target (even if they don't appear when you search on the native play store on the shield). Some of them even give proper banners on the homescreen too. 

Sideloading the apkpure app (which just mirrors the apks that are on google play) is a good bet for others though. That will happily let you install unmodified apks so you can still link to google play services and get your save-games/progress/achievements etc working. Going via more dodgy stores like aptoide often gets you modded apks instead... 

• Upvote 3

I played sonic all stars this morning, did two Grand Prix and it ran so smoothly. Il buy some newer games and test them out too next 

the game cube emu as states earlier is a bit iffy on some games. Mario golf is unplayable for some reason which is odd as it runs like butter on the pc

19 hours ago, hub2 said:

Those are more like a typical game sale though, Nintendo get their cut and the license expires within a set time period for the product anyway, so not a threat to them, unlike a Netflix-style streaming service paid on a monthly basis. Apple cockblock other companies from attempting to circumvent giving them 30% in-app for the same reason.

Yeah, that's true, I would not expect an Geforce Now client to be allowed at all. Wouldn't mind one for my Apple TV mind! That's a bit more likely as Apple does allow you to work around their restrictions a little bit.

Apple are such nice people, they wouldn't even allow Valve to put their home streaming client on the App Store, at least Google aren't that constrictive.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/5/17430532/apple-app-store-rules-valve-steam-link-game-streaming

Just don't have an in-app app store that bypasses Apple's. It's the same whether you are selling games, comics, books, movies, etc.

If such a streaming service was to be launched on apple devices, I would expect users to be able to subscribe to the service on their website AND via IAP (year 1 30% tax, 2 onwards 15%... seems fair IMO), and games bought via a web store to bypass the 30% tax.

So I bought shadow of war ( this is officially supported by GeForce now) I put the code in my steam list, clicked it and it didn’t even need to install, just loaded it instantly. The game runs on everything maxed out too. 

Il definitely be paying for this for a while it’s awesome 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, hub2 said:

Just don't have an in-app app store that bypasses Apple's. It's the same whether you are selling games, comics, books, movies, etc.

Why should Apple have deserved 30% of any sale made via that streaming app?

• Upvote 2

Rocket League and Fortnite play really well on GeForce Now - I managed a sniper kill! 

If if I could get my Xbox elite controller to work with it (wired) I’d be happy. 

Regular xbox Bluetooth controller works fine, but I need my trigger locks and paddles! 

What is the roadmap for this, in terms of future Steam linking? I get that currently you would need to install everything each time you want to play whilst in the beta but is that likely to be the case once it goes live? Any ideas of likely subscription/release date (I see the Shadow streaming service is £27 a month)?

21 minutes ago, Gabe said:

What is the roadmap for this, in terms of future Steam linking? I get that currently you would need to install everything each time you want to play whilst in the beta but is that likely to be the case once it goes live? Any ideas of likely subscription/release date (I see the Shadow streaming service is £27 a month)?

Its 7.50 a month in America to use a 1080 graphics card

popular games on steam don’t need to be installed each time

• Upvote 1