carlospie

Nvidia Shield GeForce Now

Just got this today, couldn’t find a thread.

anyway it’s incredible. I have next to no room in my lounge, yet this little box can stream tomb raider on ultra settings for me to play, like some sort of voodoo. 

As if that’s not cool enough I logged into my battle net and played some ranked games on my old account of overwatch 

going on the android store I soon had every emulator going and can play my psone within seconds 

absolutely amazing piece of kit, currently GeForce now is in beta and they let you use an nvidia Tesla which retails at something like £6000.

This really might be the future of gaming. A tiny wee box that does everything. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Just got this today, couldn’t find a thread.

anyway it’s incredible. I have next to no room in my lounge, yet this little box can stream tomb raider on ultra settings for me to play, like some sort of voodoo. 

As if that’s not cool enough I logged into my battle net and played some ranked games on my old account of overwatch 

going on the android store I soon had every emulator going and can play my psone within seconds 

absolutely amazing piece of kit, currently GeForce now is in beta and they let you use an nvidia Tesla which retails at something like £6000.

This really might be the future of gaming. A tiny wee box that does everything. 

It is where the tech industry for gaming is trying to go. Just selling a simple streaming box is much cheaper for companies and means they don't have to spend several billion dollars on R&D. The only thing really holding it back is lag but even that is starting to be combated with some clever tricks and faster internet.   

1 minute ago, Gizamaluke said:

But input lag

With some of newer tech in prototyping, there is actually less lag between sending and receiving the information than there is between you entering an input on a standard console and the TV processing the image and updating. It's pretty cool stuff. 

Linus tech tips did a good video on some of the new tech.

• Upvote 4

Just got one of these myself and have yet to try the GeForce Now thing. Is it a subscription based service like Game Pass? How bad is the lag people are referring to?

It’s free!!! 

Each month they they give you free shit that’s pre calibrated and ready to go on their servers e.g tomb raider or Lego games. Or you can play your own games, if they are common they remain installed and stream when you play them but Iv noticed if you play on steam games you have to reinstall every time. New releases can also be bought and played via GeForce now (in going to buy re2 remake)

the input put lag on overwatch was barely noticeable. I was playing the whole game on ultra settings too in a ranked match. It’s voodoo magic! 

GeForce now is in beta and will be 7.50 a month

I don't know anything about the Nvidia Shield, but if it's Android based, can't you also install the free Steam Link app and stream your entire Steam library to the lounge?

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

So can I buy a game outright and then just stream it whenever I want just using the Shield? 

Ye, if it’s via GeForce now you can play right away anytime, if it’s via steam each time you want to play it reinstalls it on the nvidia server and you can play it. I just installed pro evo on their server and it worked great. Sonic generations didn’t work though.

If they don’t have GeForce now approved on them they are not guaranteed to work. You can even plug a usb mouse and keyboard into it! 

If you check the graphics settings they are using a GeForce Tesla which is some huge graphic card costing about £6000

BC7E418A-2067-4803-B0EC-5E256C89CAAF.png

• Upvote 2

How does this compare with the other streaming service that was had a thread on here a little while ago (was it Shadow?)

This kind of service certainly has an appeal, how great would it be to play games on ultra on a cruddy little laptop, for example? All I'd need is my Xbox pad and I'd be good to go. I only glanced through the list and EA games were notable by their absence - I guess they probably will want to develop Origin down this road in future, perhaps?

Bought one of these just before Xmas and it's one of the better decisions I've made.

GeForce Now will link to your Steam, UPlay & Blizzard accounts, so if you have any games on the list linked below on any of those platforms, you get to play them in 4K at Ultra settings (if the game supports it) and as said above it will use nVidia's Tesla GPU. I haven't tried any Blizzard or UPlay titles but within GeForce now it has its own version of the Steam Link app that is separate from the Android Steam Link app

You also get a load of free games to play, although they are older titles

Scroll down here to see the list of GeForce Now compatible games

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/shield/games/

Also works as a Steam Link box with the Steam Link app (as good as the Steam Link hardware) and as a client for nVidia GameStream if you have an nVidia GPU based PC.

This is before you even get to how good it is as a media player. Netflix and Amazon Prime are installed out the box and mine is currently running the latest Kodi RC4 64 bit version. It handles my large movie & TV library better than my dedicated media PC did. Even YouTube browsing is good

It comes with the Plex app installed but the Oreo update added Plex Server capability and it works as a 4k Chromecast Ultra.

Then there's all the retro gaming that can be done (Am I still allowed to call it retro gaming?)

I've added a small USB hub to mine as there are only x2 USB ports. This has allowed me to add a bluetooth Rii Wireless keyboard (that I used to use on my Media PC) that has a touchpad for the mouse and it works fine. Also added a 360 controller with the wireless adaptor and an SSD drive via a SATA to USB adaptor to expand the storage.

The Play Store is restricted but have a look on YouTube for some guides to allow the full Play Store to be accessed.

Definitely worth a purchase :) 

• Upvote 4

I picked one up before xmas too, its pretty cool. It's very capable emulation wise, handles dreamcast well, gamecube so/so (varies by game). Being able to run later Mame cores means better compatibility with larger rom sets.

Best of all I can use steam link to stream outrun 2 C2C from a virtual pc! It's not officially supported but it downloads and plays pretty well. Other than that I've only lightly played with GeForce.

Makes a decent plex/kodi box too. 

27 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

@carlospie stupid question time: which version of the Shield are you talking about exactly? What's the price? And how capable is the retro stuff exactly - dare I enquire about Dolphin for example?

Mines 2017, it runs GameCube with enhancing so luigis mansion. Gets sharpened. Il get a vid later when I have a min. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hawklord said:

The Play Store is restricted but have a look on YouTube for some guides to allow the full Play Store to be accessed.

I tried this, but couldn’t get it working. Do you have a link to a guide that worked for you please? :) 

3 hours ago, carlospie said:

Mines 2017, it runs GameCube with enhancing so luigis mansion. Gets sharpened. Il get a vid later when I have a min. 

The innards are the same regardless of version. Anything GC or Wii that's CPU heavy isn't going to run well, but anything less intense can be upscaled pretty well. Viewtful Joe  looks great.

Really hoping they'll do a refresh with a better CPU at some point.

Does't the Switch share a lot of the innards with the Nvidia Shield? I use Geforce Now a bit on my Mac and it's fantastic.

There's actually an official Wii emulator for the Shield in China.

Can't see Nintendo being that keen on bringing it to Shield anywhere else, though. That's what Switch is for, 

11 hours ago, carlospie said:

Just installed so not tinkered, looks amazing. My phone camera not so. The best emulator for looks is the PSP it’s amazing 

You almost had me until the vertical videos :( 

• Upvote 1

I've got the Shield K1 tablet and it runs PSP fine but I think it would struggle with Dreamcast and Gamecube unfortunately, it's currently my OutRun Coast 2 Coast machine though.

13 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

@carlospie stupid question time: which version of the Shield are you talking about exactly? What's the price? And how capable is the retro stuff exactly - dare I enquire about Dolphin for example?

Its £190 for the console and controller bundle on Amazon right now but its been on sale for £130 for stuff like Prime Day and Cyber Monday. 

Gamecube emulation is borderline. Some games are fine, others have noticeable hitches. Its a really good emulation box right now but an updated version, which looks unlikely anytime soon, could be amazing. 

EDIT: One thing that is annoying is that a lot of apps that should work well on Android TV aren't compatible with the Shield. Segas Mega Drive releases for instance.  <_<

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

These do look like impressive little things, but the controller looks massive and uncomfortable.

I had the prior controller when I had a Shield tablet, it was alright (it's certainly not huge) but enough to put me off going for the Shield TV bundle with the new controller as it didn't seem worth the £20 extra. I just pair up my 8BitDo FC30 Pro, or you can use a PS4 or Xbox One controller as easily if you want.