Sign in to follow this  
Silent Runner

You (Netflix Series Thriller)

Anyone watched 'You'? A 10-parter about a guy stalking his way into the life of a woman he meets through work. 

A guy working in a bookshop serves a woman, falls for her and he decides that she's also into him. So he worms his way into her life, hacks into her social media and email and uses what he learns to build a relationship with her. 

I read the book it's based on earlier this year and from the first two episodes this is a pretty accurate adaption - it's good, trashy fun. The lead guy is really good as the charming weirdo and the lead woman is also excellent. The photography is nice and the onscreen social-media stuff is well done. 

10 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

Anyone watched 'You'? A 10-parter about a guy stalking his way into the life of a woman he meets through work. 

A guy working in a bookshop serves a woman, falls for her and he decides that she's also into him. So he worms his way into her life, hacks into her social media and email and uses what he learns to build a relationship with her. 

I read the book it's based on earlier this year and from the first two episodes this is a pretty accurate adaption - it's good, trashy fun. The lead guy is really good as the charming weirdo and the lead woman is also excellent. The photography is nice and the onscreen social-media stuff is well done. 

Up to episode 7 myself. Really enjoying it so far. Funny. Charming. Creepy. Never quite sure who I should like/dislike.

14 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

Up to episode 7 myself. Really enjoying it so far. Funny. Charming. Creepy. Never quite sure who I should like/dislike.

Finished this up tonight and quite enjoyed it - although it didn't need 10 episodes. It got a little ridiculous in the last couple of episodes but it's one of Netflixs stronger efforts. 

18 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

Finished this up tonight and quite enjoyed it - although it didn't need 10 episodes. It got a little ridiculous in the last couple of episodes but it's one of Netflixs stronger efforts. 

Having finished I’d probably agree. Enjoyed it right to the end but maybe a few two man switch backs and twists in the last two episodes.

Watching episode 9 right now, so far it's fun but pretty much the definition of cheap thrills, with a lot of nonsensical stuff happening. Your comments about the last two episodes have me a bit worried but gonna finish it tonight and judge for myself!

Update: finished it and that last episode got tense as fuck, actually had me a bit scared! Don't think anything in those last two episodes was more ridiculous than what happened previously tbh, most of the season has been pointing to these... developments. I'll be there for the second season but honestly they'd have to switch things up a bit, I don't want a kind of re-chew of the stuff we've seen until now.

Just finished 'You'. I really enjoyed it - plenty of cool little twists, even though I never find it easy to enjoy a series when no-one in it is likeable!

Good telly though. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Just finished 'You'. I really enjoyed it - plenty of cool little twists, even though I never find it easy to enjoy a series when no-one in it is likeable!

Good telly though. 

Binged this myself over Christmas. Thought it was really good

On 27/12/2018 at 22:07, Silent Runner said:

What show is this?

Meh. The ending was shit, got into some really stupid, cliche shit in the last one. Probably wouldn't bother with another series.

Really enjoyed it overall. I felt the last episode was a little weak and I didn’t entirely like the ending. I’d definitely watch a second seasion though. 

Wasn’t overly keen on the ending either, but...

Spoiler

that final twist where she rocks up in the bookshop has me intrigued to see where they go with a second season.

I felt the opposite, after a rushed, unsatisfying and predictable ending there's a desperate attempt to drum up interest in another series which to me felt completely uninteresting.

On 08/01/2019 at 07:22, gospvg said:

Thread split out from the mega thread & trailer added to first post.

Wondered why @Cool Ben had appeared to get a spot of brain damage.

Anyway. I thought it was very predictable at the start. Good in the middle with the social media stuff around her friends and got a bit ridiculous at the end. All well acted though. I wish the characters weren't so believable. All total bellends. 

I veered back and forth between thinking this was ridiculous to enjoying the fuck out of it throughout the entire series. Definitely worth a watch.

• Upvote 2

I’ve watched the first three episodes now and can’t decide if I like it or not. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it, but yes it’s probably due to the characters being really unlikeable counterbalanced by the handsome photography. 

Its pretty meh so far, but I’ll probably end up watching it all since it’s a show both I and my partner are agreed on watching, sort of in the way you’d have a documentary about dog grooming on in the background as it’s the least offensive thing available. 

The only very disagreeable part for me so far was...

Spoiler

...when he batters and kidnaps the awful boyfriend, holds him against his will and yet he (the boyfriend) isn’t absolutely fucking terrified for his life at all times, seeming pretty nonchalant about the whole thing until he started coming down. If the show wanted to make the character of Joe as sinister as the concept ought to be, this sequence of scenes was too campy, but conversely the show around it isn’t exactly high theatre. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Popo said:

I’ve watched the first three episodes now and can’t decide if I like it or not. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it, but yes it’s probably due to the characters being really unlikeable

I think that was my main problem too. But it does get more enjoyable :)

I watched the first one and totally balked at the ridiculous characterisation of the boyfriend. But then I watched two or three more.

It reminds me of Dexter, for both better and worse, and I'll watch it until the end. But I'm under no illusion that it's quality TV.

This was about four episodes too long and felt like it was treading water for most of the second half of the series but it was still good, silly, fun.

I found the random out of focus effect applied to way too many shots to be incredibly annoying though. It's a visual affectation that I've seen in a few films/shows recently so must be flavour of the month.

This is brilliant - its utter trash but somehow is quite self aware and seemingly knows it, so although its played straight its no po-faced or serious about how stupid and trashy it is.

I've rattled thru it and only got a couple of eps to go, and unusually for me I'm not finding it too stretched out or long (maybe there was 1 ep all set in single house)

Utter rubbish but good rubbish.

• Upvote 1

Liked this to start with but I agree with whoever said the last three episodes dragged. The ending was predictable and cheap.

What got me was how dumb the police are in this. The writers missed out on tons of potential dramatic counterpoint material with police presence/investigation. Seems New York is the place to live if you want to be a sloppy serial killer.

I doubt I'll watch the second series.