rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Mawdlin

Brexit: The Uncivil War (Channel 4)

This is properly brilliant. Kinnear trying to feed children while dealing with the remain campaign, and his argument with the focus group was a highlight. 

So many great scenes. My favourite bit was the meeting with the board where he turned the tables and ended up sacking the chairman. Plus it genuinely seemed to dignify the disenfranchised leave voters, which has been rare in this debate. (And I voted remain).

And the touch with the cleaner taking away the champagne glasses at the end. Beautiful.

• Upvote 1

I read the Guardian, from time to time, but Lucy Mangan and Peter Bradshaw are simply awful reviewers. I bloody loved it.

Best read the Guardian's comments section underneath though. Much more fun.

I really enjoyed it, stayed up 65 minutes past my bedtime as I didn't realise it would be so long.

I was really hoping they'd cover the weird Tory standing thing though, that's always fascinated me. What were they thinking? Was it a dare/joke based on Blackadder? How did they stop themselves from giggling. I've since realised the weird standing thing was nothing to do with Brexit, I guess it's just associated in my mind because it always seemed to be done in front of giant Union Flags etc.

The guardian review is really bad, it's far too political. It's not the job of art to portray something accurately, or the way the reviewer would like. Cummings defies lazy characterisation, he is a genuinely interesting person regardless of whether you agree with him or not. 

I didn't look at my phone for whole scenes and these days that's the ultimate test! 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's rather unprofessional of the Guardian to bring politics into a review of a film about Brexit.

• Upvote 2

...what? She's a TV critic. She's not calling for anyone to be exterminated, or propagating racist conspiracy theories (or whatever the left-wing equivalent is).

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mawdlin said:

I do think it's a bit rich of Mangan to talk about irresponsible journalism when she's essentially a left wing vesion of Katie Hopkins.

Yeah, No. 

2 hours ago, K said:

It's rather unprofessional of the Guardian to bring politics into a review of a film about Brexit.

Well that's not quite I meant. I meant to say this version of the story didn't agree with the reviewers internal story. I think a good reviewer should be able to see that this really worked on a dramatic level, regardless of it's politics. 

And politically I thought it was quite balanced.

• Upvote 1

As a drama I thought it was fine. Particularly impressed with the scene in the cheap house witth the couple, and the bust up in the focus group, nailed the sentiment without caricaturing either side unfairly 

Also found myself somewhat rattled at how closely Cummins’ final words reflected my own thoughts. Fine performance by BC all round.

whole things kind of depressed me though. 

A fantastic piece of drama, well written, directed and acted, and nauseating at the same time - brought back some of the feelings I had the morning of the 24th, and the week earlier when Jo Cox was killed.

So, yeah, it felt balanced and true: the Remain side were blinkered, smug and incompetent, the Leave side sociopathic cunts.

Agree either way, it was well balanced. But I thought aside from the very end, the most striking moment was the woman in tears in the focus group - she wasn't a racist, or an idiot, she was just angry at those who pontificated from a distance. The follow up did have me shouting at the TV though - the Remain co-ordindator saying "we're too late" but then going on to say "this is a drip drip of wrong info over years" which kind of misses the point the woman made, which was basically stop telling me you know what's best when you don't live in my shoes

• Upvote 1

What didn't come out very clearly (emphasised by the 'we're too late' comment by the remain team leader) was how most of the country, bookies included, fully expected a remain victory. Polls and general feeling in the news had a remain victory for most of the campaign, apart from one blip about a week before the vote. Bookies had a remain victory at roughly 75% the day of the vote.

As much as I loved this drama they had it on a knife edge presumably for dramatic purposes.

Also, Cummings came across as a disruptive genius whereas I reckon his contribution was overplayed. But bloody great TV nonetheless.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

What didn't come out very clearly (emphasised by the 'we're too late' comment by the remain team leader) was how most of the country, bookies included, fully expected a remain victory. Polls and general feeling in the news had a remain victory for most of the campaign, apart from one blip about a week before the vote. Bookies had a remain victory at roughly 75% the day of the vote.

As much as I loved this drama they had it on a knife edge presumably for dramatic purposes.

Also, Cummings came across as a disruptive genius whereas I reckon his contribution was overplayed. But bloody great TV nonetheless.

You defo can't expect accuracy from something like this. It's drama, that's all. Yeah it was tense, and I felt a bit sick at the end as I guess most people did, just like that summer. All you can ask is they present a view from both sides, good and bad, and I think it worked, as well as being enteraining. 

10 hours ago, linkster said:

The follow up did have me shouting at the TV though - the Remain co-ordindator saying "we're too late" but then going on to say "this is a drip drip of wrong info over years" which kind of misses the point the woman made, which was basically stop telling me you know what's best when you don't live in my shoes

This is a good point. There was an opportunity in that moment for this to go from solid drama, which it was, to timeless piece of human condition political observation and they missed it by making an on the nose point about Brexit rather than pulling back and looking at the bigger picture, which is that people are represented by people who have no idea what their life is like. 

I thought it was a really solid piece of work. It managed to create a cogent entertainment out of what could have been very grey material. 

That said though, I really do think the Brexit is fertile feeding ground for the arts and I'm still waiting for an incredibly important piece of work to come out of it. And this isn't it. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

I seem to remember Farage kind of announcing he knew he’d lost as well, maybe even during the count?