Stanley

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe (2019)

I hooked the Wii U up last night. Wave Race 64 looks and plays so fine on the GamePad and for that alone it was worth exhuming it.

Even so, I still haven’t completely talked myself out of buying New Super Mario BUD for Switch. The Wii U’s Pro Controller most likely is better for it than either the Joy-con or Switch Pro Controller, so without an 8bitdo Controller there’s that. But the resolution increase might make an appreciable difference on a TV. Some of the jaggies were quite conspicuous in places.

Whether I carry on playing through it on Wii U or not, it’s still got it where it counts and a lot of newcomers are going to be very happy this week.

The saddest difference that I’d forgotten about was constantly being asked if I wanted to post to Miiverse. :(

I don't know about you but I think this is a gorgeous looking game. Lots of little visual improvements and flourishes for the Switch version too.

16 minutes ago, nakamura said:

Yeah this feels like Nintendo by numbers.

Which immediately makes it better than 99% of games out there.

I had this on the Wii U and thought it was great.

• Upvote 5

33 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

This is not a gorgeous game.

Yoshi’s Woolly / Crafted World are both examples of the kind of visual flair Nintendo could be dedicating to NSMB. 

I really like how clean and distinct everything looks, and how smooth, which is important for gameplay that relies on accuracy and fluidity. I don't think the more experimental styles of the games you mention would really suit a pure 2D Mario platformer for that reason, which is also why I'm glad they decided to explore different gameplay ideas in those titles too. 

Obviously this being a Wii U port all we're seeing really here is a res bump with nicer shadows etc. but I still think there is room to develop the style further. 

I quite liked digital foundry’s suggestion of being able to flip between 2 graphic sets, ala Mario maker. It would have been rife with technical hurdles but it would have got a lot more ‘bums on seats’ interest in the title, IMO.

Say what you like about gameplay being king, but aesthetics suduce and hold our interest and attentions like no other. A brand new full length 2D Mario with smw graphics would have been glorious.

• Upvote 1

I already played this on wii u a few years ago (surprising thing to say about a first party switch game, I know).

The Van Gogh level really drew attention to how bland and uninspired the rest of the level art/aesthetics in the game were. It was like Nintendo put in a single beautiful stage that looks nothing like the rest of the game to make clear that the rest of the game looks bland and lazy by choice.

I can't wrap my head around how nintendo managed to make such an utterly godawful collection of music for this game in the era of Nintendo Land, 3d World, Pikmin 3, MK8 etc.

If I recall, a lot of the music in the game is based on 2 melodies and it has the distinct feel of elevator music.

Gameplay is ok (would be hard for them to mess up 2d mario gameplay at this stage), but it's a totally forgettable game and that's mainly down to the utterly bland art and horrible music.

59 minutes ago, partious said:

I can't wrap my head around how nintendo managed to make such an utterly godawful collection of music for this game in the era of Nintendo Land, 3d World, Pikmin 3, MK8 etc.

Personally I loved the music in this... upbeat remix of the classic Mario tune... it was great. :) Each to their own though... 

7 hours ago, Stanley said:

I really like how clean and distinct everything looks, and how smooth, which is important for gameplay that relies on accuracy and fluidity. I don't think the more experimental styles of the games you mention would really suit a pure 2D Mario platformer

This is a completely speculative argument because a NSMB title with stylised graphics doesn’t exist. Whilst Yoshi’s Island on the SNES makes a strong counter-argument. All platformers require a distinction between foreground and background objects. A game can look clean and distinct whilst also having a unique style, variety and high production values. 

That you can only use Nabbit and Peach with their handicaps in multiplayer is an indicator of the lack of effort on Nintendo’s part. That Toadette turns into Peach, is another. But Blue and Yellow Toad were already lazy inclusions in the original version.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

To counteract all the cynicism on this page, I was originally going to wait to pick this up, despite having never played the Wii-u version.

My resolve crumpled this morning and I now have it pre-ordered and preloaded. My partner and I are going to play through the whole game in coop on the weekend. 

Can't wait! It's been ages since I've played a new 2d Mario game.

This review has me excited:

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/2019/1/9/18173941/new-super-mario-bros-u-deluxe-review-nintendo-switch

The music isn't horrible it's just not up there with the best, in fact the best music from a Mario game is this and I'll fight anyone who disagrees.

8 minutes ago, Fletch said:

The music isn't horrible it's just not up there with the best, in fact the best music from a Mario game is this and I'll fight anyone who disagrees.

Guess my problem with NSMBU music was that I was comparing it to stuff like this in the other Wii U Mario game

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

This is a completely speculative argument because a NSMB title with stylised graphics doesn’t exist. Whilst Yoshi’s Island on the SNES makes a strong counter-argument. All platformers require a distinction between foreground and background objects. A game can look clean and distinct whilst also having a unique style, variety and high production values. 

That you can only use Nabbit and Peach with their handicaps in multiplayer is an indicator of the lack of effort on Nintendo’s part. That Toadette turns into Peach, is another. But Blue and Yellow Toad were already lazy inclusions in the original version.

The other way around surely, you're speculating what it might not look with a different style, not me.

I think it does look unique with high production values. 

10 hours ago, nakamura said:

Yeah this feels like Nintendo by numbers. It's certainly decent but not top tier. 

It plays really, really well, though. Had the visual design and music been more out there instead of being slave to the bland through line established by the 'New' series of 2D Marios the game would have been a classic. But maybe that would have required a much higher budget and much more dev time? I dunno - it was a Wii U launch game, so Nintendo were struggling with finally developing HD games (7 years after their competition started doing it, lol). Or was it just a silly decision based on brand continuity?

Rayman Legends and DK Tropical Freeze put the music and visuals to shame but for some reason I like the NSMBU look more now than I did at the Wii U launch. Not the music, though. When you’re listening to that, words like insipid will always enter your thoughts regardless of what you’re looking at.

• Upvote 1

It was a decent game and I didn't mind the look of it at first - seemed like CG Mario World or something, but it does get a bit tired fairly soon. I agree that the graphics and music let it down. There's something just a tiny bit off about it. It is very good though. I had 3D World at the same time and much preferred it so that might be why I was lukewarm on this.

How they justify selling it for full price is mad though. It seems to be okay these days to 'remaster' something but have they even done that really? Imagine trying to sell NES Super Mario Bros. to SNES owners for £40 in 1993. When they did try they at least chucked 2 and 3 in with it and did a proper graphical upscale.

2 minutes ago, Pockets said:

How they justify selling it for full price is mad though. It seems to be okay these days to 'remaster' something but have they even done that really? Imagine trying to sell NES Super Mario Bros. to SNES owners for £40 in 1993.

The difference is that NES Super Mario Bros was the best selling game of all time at that point whereas no one bought a Wii U. They justify it by sales of their other Wii U ports.

1 minute ago, Bojangle said:

New game for most people innit.

This. It's pretty simple economics. Most people who own a switch haven't played this.

5 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I had 3D World at the same time and much preferred it so that might be why I was lukewarm on this.

3d world is amazing! You can play as a cat princess!

All you so-called nintendo fans that didn't buy the wii-u are gonna absolutely adore the inevitable re-release.

11 minutes ago, witchypoos said:

3d world is amazing! You can play as a cat princess!

All you so-called nintendo fans that didn't buy the wii-u are gonna absolutely adore the inevitable re-release.

I'm looking forward to the inevitable 3D World vs Odyssey thread/squabble. 3D World all the way for me :)

• Upvote 3

Hopefully there's not too much more they can mine from the Wii U back catalogue before we start seeing some more original games.

• Empathy 1

I’m very excited at the prospect of a 3D world reissue. I even had it on the Wii U but barely touched it as I wasn’t really playing much at the time.

Since switch came out and I have mutated into my final form as a Nintendo fanboy I’d play it loads. Hopefully they’ll package it with a 3D land remaster 

Last year we got, what? Bayonetta double pack and Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze? I don't mind 2 WiiU releases a year as long as there's other stuff in between. 

I'm still hoping for a Xenoblade X release. 

Edit: Wait, we got Captain Toad last year as well, didn't we? Well, I still want Xenoblade X. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, mdn2 said:

Last year we got, what? Bayonetta double pack and Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze? I don't mind 2 WiiU releases a year as long as there's other stuff in between. 

I'm still hoping for a Xenoblade X release. 

Captain Toad, Hyrule Warriors.