Stanley

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe (2019)

12 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Far from it. I haven’t touched RDR2 for that very reason. But it isn’t an either/or. There’s no reason a Mario game has to look imo bland and sterile, compared to the likes of Tropical Freeze, Rayman, Hollow Knight, Monster Boy etc. 

Yeah I agree with that. It is a great game due to the top-tier level design. It’s just very safe.

Mario is designed as it is so you know exactly where you can and cannot jump, and what parts of the screen are a threat and which aren’t. 

The graphics in the platformers you have listed require a certain investment so you became familiar with the graphical style. Mario doesn’t ask that of you. It respects your time.

It is simply way more fun, more immediate and has more depth than any of those games. 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Fletch said:

The Wii U was (is) great but being a Wii U owner means less to play on my Switch. 

It is - if only for being the best way to enjoy the amazing Wii back catalog. But by god, the pad was a terrible design choice. Wasn't sold seperately in case of an accident, and clumsy to use all-round. I loved every weird Nintendo control scheme so far (incl. Kid Icarus Uprising's convoluted control method), but I simply cannot reconcile myself with that pad when it's your only control option. Star Fox Zero, WF 101... meant to be ace games, but I just can't get used to using that effin pad. Needless to say, I use a normal controller or a Wiimote for most of my Wii U gaming.

• Upvote 1

Yeah the fact that you couldn't replace the pad was a weird design choice, I did love that I could play games whilst my wife was watching TV though.

47 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Yeah the fact that you couldn't replace the pad was a weird design choice, I did love that I could play games whilst my wife was watching TV though.

You could replace it, but only via Nintendo.

1 minute ago, deKay said:

You could replace it, but only via Nintendo.

I bet that wasn't cheap either?

Can you use the system without the tablet like with just a pro pad or whatever or is it integral?

12 hours ago, deKay said:

I want it, but I'm trying to see how far into the year I can get without buying anything.

Hahahahaha.

I'm betting you make it to this Friday.

4 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Hahahahaha.

I'm betting you make it to this Friday.

deKay is the strongest one there is!

13 hours ago, Pockets said:

It’s £40? :facepalm:

Of course it fucking is. It’s probably worth it too but they’ve already re-released it at £25 on Wii U. They don’t do their customers any favours. 

Can you blame them? Look at how well Mario Kart 8 has sold on the Switch. It doesn't make any business sense to throw a bone to the couple of million of us who bought it for the Wii U, when they can sell it at full price to probably 10 million+ new customers. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, GokouD said:

Can you blame them? Look at how well Mario Kart 8 has sold on the Switch. It doesn't make any business sense to throw a bone to the couple of million of us who bought it for the Wii U, when they can sell it at full price to probably 10 million+ new customers. 

The Switch version also contains all the DLC, which was another £15 or so, and then adds 6 more characters, 4 more karts, several new battle modes, 8 player local multiplayer, new control types, dual items, etc.

10 hours ago, grindmouse said:

Or as accomplished as many contemporary indie platformers.

Which comparable indie platform games would you say are more accomplished?

3 minutes ago, Naieve said:

yeah, n00b rabbit and Toadette

you know how Ninty could justify £40 in a heartbeat?

Reveal hidden contents

bowsetteyellow-625x352.jpg

I buy that for a dollar (£50).

NSMBU is super safe, and quite by the numbers aesthetically. I think it's tied to its New! SB DS lineage, which was an uninspired cookie-cutter of a game. The Van Gogh level was a solitary tease that made me wish for more visually diverse worlds, like Odyssey achieves. That and a sense of it being a journey and not an exquisitive levels pack is the only thing NSMBU lacks. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Mario is designed as it is so you know exactly where you can and cannot jump, and what parts of the screen are a threat and which aren’t. 

The graphics in the platformers you have listed require a certain investment so you became familiar with the graphical style. Mario doesn’t ask that of you. It respects your time.

It is simply way more fun, more immediate and has more depth than any of those games. 

Hollow Knight has depth - it goes aaaaaaaaall the way down into the furthest reaches of Hallownest. ;)

But we’re not really comparing apples with apples here, they’re very different games. 

I look forward to picking this up, but I’ve still got so many unplayed Switch games it’ll have to wait a while... and I still don’t have Arms, Splatoon Tennis or Party, so it may have to wait a long while. 

27 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Which comparable indie platform games would you say are more accomplished?

Monster Boy and Hollow Knight look gorgeous, purely from a visual design standpoint. NSMBU has some nice static backgrounds, but overall it’s functional.

And they recycled it all for Luigi U.

I bought a Wii U & NSMBU at launch and I argued the same thing then. Nintendo’s pockets don’t stretch deep enough for more varied and ambitious level graphics? 

Yeah I think we can all agree it's pretty functional looking, but mechanically for pure platforming they are very different types of games. 

I'm not too bothered. I'd like them to experiment with the visual style going forward, but I don't think it's ugly or anything, it's a nice looking game and distinctly Mario.

Instead of buying this, I should use it as an excuse to hook up my Wii U again. I’ve got both the games included, DK Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors and Captain Toad just sitting there as well as others that haven't been ported yet.

I still expect to have talked myself into paying £40 to spend a couple hours with it again when I’d rather use the time to play actual Switch games, though. I’m such an annoying Nintendo fan.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

I had this on Wii U but I can’t remember, do you hold Y to run like old Mario games? That’s what I’m used to with Mario and is why I like 3D World best of all the 3D ones. I know this sounds weird but there you go. Can’t get on with analogue running. 

34 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I had this on Wii U but I can’t remember, do you hold Y to run like old Mario games? That’s what I’m used to with Mario and is why I like 3D World best of all the 3D ones. I know this sounds weird but there you go. Can’t get on with analogue running. 

You hold a button to run, yes.

They look alright obviously, and I'll give them top marks for making an effort rather than some cheapo retro look , but I wouldn't describe Hollow Knight and Monster Boy as GORGEOUS. 

And while NSMBU certainly looks bland,  sterile, and indistinctive compared to say Galaxy or Odyssey, it is still Mario. 

The way he and the baddies look, sound, and move about completely shits on those two indie games if you ask me.

It is still a game with loads of charm.

• Upvote 5

20 hours ago, Stanley said:

So this is out on Fri for Switch, anyone else picking it up, or are you getting fed up of Wii U ports?

I can't wait as I never owned a Wii U, a brand new 2D Mario :omg:

This is a great game...loved it on the WiiU and the music.... 

I should resist but I know I will be weak at some point... Mario Kart 8 to play first now...