Stanley

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe (2019)

Do Toad houses allow saving too? 

I seem to remember that from WiiU.  I finished without using any of them, the quick save is fine.

Anyway, really enjoyed playing through this again, finished pass 1 last night, more of a challenge than I remember. Now going back for star coins, which is also harder than last time as I used 2 player boost mode on WiiU.

That little extra jump being on A is totally spoiling this for me. Not wanting to LeChuck my toys out of the pram here but a lifetime of pressing A to get extra air off of landing on an enemy is totally screwing me up. 

And NEG, Celeste sold well enough, my Dad's bigger than your Dad and Mario beats Sonic every time. 

• Empathy 1

16 hours ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

It's well annoying that you get kicked to map every time you die

similarly, I know Nintendo don't like to ever give 3 options but they could let me USE an item rather than throwing one away if the box is full

Being thrown back to the map is annoying as is losing progress if you lose all your lives between castles, but to be honest that's never happened to me as I just go and get extra lives if I'm low.

I'm still enjoying it a lot. It's a no frills Mario platformer which is to say it still provides the best pure platforming money can buy, in my book. 

I'm not sure where there's left to go with NSMB, the whole point of it is that it's a kind of retro remake of the originals, but with Mario 3D World and even Odyssey incorporating 2D elements so successfully there's not really much point - it'll just end up being more of the same and after four games, just not necessary (there are only 4 Super Mario Bros games after all). 

I'd still like to see Mario Maker and 3D World ported to Switch but apart from that I'd rather they focus on a sequel to Odyssey than do more 2D ones. 

• Upvote 1

Well I see Galaxy and Odyssey as the same lineage really in that they're both the evolution of 3D Mario following Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine. Realistically though I reckon sales of Odyssey will see a straight sequel to that game and then they'll move on to the next thing.

1 hour ago, petrolgirls said:

I'd much rather they focus on a new Galaxy. For me Odyssey's direction was a misstep in the Mario series. 

What?!

Odyssey was pretty much a direct sequel to Mario 64, it was fantastic.

The only thing I think it missed was a proper explorable overworld like the Mario 64 castle. Selecting levels from a menu is never great.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Isaac said:

What?!

The only thing I think it missed was a proper explorable overworld like the Mario 64 castle. Selecting levels from a menu is never great.

Yeah, Odyssey sure did miss a level like Mario 64's castle!!

• Upvote 1

Odyssey sadly didn't emulate 64 all that well. Suffers similar problems that Sunshine did: only half the game/moons is actual content/platforming. Couple that with being 5 million times worse than 64 to speed run (Because the quick abundant choice of moons is so bland compared to 64) and what your left with is developers who think putting moons under bums is content representive of 64. It wasn't.

I'd still take it over the linear hell that was Galaxy 2 however.

• Downvote 1

40 minutes ago, Isaac said:

What?!

It made some of the same mistakes as 64 certainly, too much traversal for one - I'm of the opinion that platformers benefit from small tight levels rather than large flabby expanses. Also thought that the ludicrous abundance of moons, handed out for almost everything and anything really devalued the reward of finding them. That's not to say Odyssey was a bad game by any stretch, I just much preferred Galaxy. In mitigation Galaxy came out after a break of 5 years since Sunshine and at a time when hardly anyone else was releasing platformers either, wheras I'd played through Galaxy 1&2, NSMB 1, 2 and U, 3D Land and 3D World prior to Odyssey so think I might have been suffering from some Mario fatigue by that stage.

If you're that fond of Odyssey your last comment is a bit odd, it's not used as a hub but it is very much in the game. Oh and couldn't disagree more about menus, I find schlepping minutes across the same area just to start playing a level to be one of the worst bits of modern game design, I'd much rather just get there in seconds via a menu. Think Nintendo feel the same way given the last Mario platformer to use an big explorable hubworld was, I believe, the original Galaxy.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

If you're that fond of Odyssey your last comment is a bit odd, it's not used as a hub but it is very much in the game. Oh and couldn't disagree more about menus, I find schlepping minutes across the same area just to start playing a level to be one of the worst bits of modern game design, I'd much rather just get there in seconds via a menu. Think Nintendo feel the same way given the last Mario platformer to use an big explorable hubworld was, I believe, the original Galaxy.

I'm aware that it's in the game, but it's not used as a gateway to levels, just as a world.

There's something special about an explorable hub with secrets and unlocks as a way of accessing all the other levels. Fair point that a menu is easier, and perhaps once completed it should be there as an option, but I missed the overworld exploration and felt a ship with a menu select screen was a bit of a cop-out.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

There's something special about an explorable hub with secrets and unlocks as a way of accessing all the other levels. Fair point that a menu is easier, and perhaps once completed it should be there as an option, but I missed the overworld exploration and felt a ship with a menu select screen was a bit of a cop-out.

Thing with Odyssey is that most of the levels were a kind of self contained hubworld in themselves with much of the serious platforming taking place in sub-levels within each hub. If you made the player traverse a main overworld hub on top of the level hubs I think I'd have lost the will to live, you'd be looking at getting to a specific level taking at least 2 to 3 minutes by the time you'd navigated both sets of overworld. That's just not fun.

Odyssey is the best 3d platformer they made. It's not perfect, but Marios moveset (with cappy) is fantastic and caters for all skill levels.

However, that doesn't mean its perfect by any means. Mario Galaxy had some amazing music and interesting levels. Mario 64 was once my favorite game of all time, but the later levels are a bit of a drag really. Odyssey has an issue with too many weak moons,  i'd prefer a low quantity of moons but more interesting ways of getting them.

Speedrunning odyssey is fun, but perhaps a lack of routes is an issue compared to some other mario games.

I just want bigger worlds , more interesting moons (and more of those void style levels please!) and a ghost house. Oh and more koopa races if possible per world.

i was hoping for an odyssey 2 surprise announcement at e3 this year for release later this year, but i'd expect it next year if its going to happen.

• Upvote 2

Odyssey let me play the game while giving my daughter a meaningful role in coop. For that it's my favourite 3D Mario game, and the only 3D Mario I've completed. On all the others I played I got to a certain point and then (for no particular reason) just stopped.