Stanley

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe (2019)

9 hours ago, Stanley said:

Yeah but worth pointing out this was a direct sequel to New Super Mario Bros. Wii, which sold 30 million.

I’m not doubting the games quality or saled or whatever, just that it was a bad call to launch the Wii U with something that looked so comparatively underwhelming. 

9 hours ago, Benji said:

Anyone got a link to the NES joy cons I've seen mentioned in here? Might pick this up for my holiday as got a 10 hour flight coming up 

You could go for one of the 8bit do controllers instead. They have great d pads.

• Upvote 1

I never even got to world 2 on the Wii U and I'm really enjoying this. I think having played plenty of NSMB on Wii, DS and 3DS, I'd had my fill of that formula and art direction by the time I got round to NSMBU. Since I've not played any 2D Mario for a good few years now, I'm much more into the presentation here and the gameplay and feel are a cut above. It's the game I'm looking forward to playing this weekend. 

WiiU was dead on arrival thanks to confused messaging and no marketing. Even when it was revealed, seasoned gamers weren’t sure if it was a new console or just a peripheral for the Wii. 

I reckon It could’ve launched with Odyssey and BOTW and still would’ve bombed. 

I personally loved my WiiU and played it more than any other console out at the time, but the whole package was a mess. 

There was plenty of hype on here including from me but straight from launch it was obvious that the Wii masses didn’t want another console.

And they never will.

81cXGdXZ+2L._SY879_.jpg

2 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

I now remember why I never got very far on the Wii U version. It’s a tough old game. Not sure I have the patience for this. Might have to cheat and use Nabbit.

For shame. :facepalm:

I think I finished this on the Wii U, or got very close to the end at least. I remember thinking it was easily the best of the New SMB series and possibly the best 2D Mario ever. I loved it so much I bought the limited edition Luigi disc rather than just the DLC, only to find it was hard as nails and fail to ever even reach the first save point.

• Empathy 1

Hated this on the WiiU. Can't remember much about it, tbh, except I hated it. What I do remember is that in some parts there's actually a twat that stops you getting to the next level. Like, you know, a twat that intercepts you as you try to get to the next level and it triggers some shit little mini levels which was too fucking hard because the game was so shit you're not that bothered about gerting to the next level anyway!

Really liked the Wii one though. And the DS one.

2 hours ago, Strafe said:

I’m not doubting the games quality or saled or whatever, just that it was a bad call to launch the Wii U with something that looked so comparatively underwhelming. 

But clearly the games looks hadn't affected every other entry in the series.

16 minutes ago, Stanley said:

But clearly the games looks hadn't affected every other entry in the series.

Of course they didn’t. Like I said, what you expect to see on a DS vs a brand new home console is likely to be rather different.

Just now, Strafe said:

Of course they didn’t. Like I said, what you expect to see on a DS vs a brand new home console is likely to be rather different.

Hang on we're going around in circles here, what you'd 'expect to see on DS' did 30 million on Wii, this one was also the third best selling game on Wii U, just behind Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8. It sold more than Splatoon.

Cleary there were reasons the Wii U failed, but this game wasn't one of them.

2 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Ok I disagree.

With what? The game sold well on Wii U, if it hadn't then there might be something in what you're suggesting. I think you just have to accept the Wii U's problems went well beyond it's games library.

6 minutes ago, Stanley said:

With what? The game sold well on Wii U, if it hadn't then there might be something in what you're suggesting. I think you just have to accept the Wii U's problems went well beyond it's games library.

He's saying that MarioU looked very uninspired for a launch title on a new HD console. And he's right. I'm sure it wasn't the only reason for the WiiU's failure but it certainly didn't help.

• Upvote 1

Now who’s going round in circles!

I’m not saying it’s the sole reason. I’m saying it’s understandable that a machine launching with such an anemic launch line up and having a flagship game that looked extremely dated was a contributing factor. In numerous “reasons why the Wii u failed” articles, the weak launch line up was given as a factor, damaging early sales and preventing the sort of traction you’d want/need to get things rolling. This was the flagship game.

I - and no doubt not you - am somewhat vindicated by this because it’s the first console I hadn’t bought at launch in years because after playing one in Game I was incredibly underwhelmed.

So that is why I disagree. I am quite aware of the other failings of the machine and it’s poor communication to the mass market.

1 minute ago, Strafe said:

Now who’s going round in circles!

I’m not saying it’s the sole reason. I’m saying it’s understandable that a machine launching with such an anemic launch line up and having a flagship game that looked extremely dated was a contributing factor. In numerous “reasons why the Wii u failed” articles, the weak launch line up was given as a factor, damaging early sales and preventing the sort of traction you’d want/need to get things rolling. This was the flagship game.

I - and no doubt not you - am somewhat vindicated by this because it’s the first console I hadn’t bought at launch in years because after playing one in Game I was incredibly underwhelmed.

So that is why I disagree. I am quite aware of the other failings of the machine and it’s poor communication to the mass market.

But the facts don't back up what you're suggesting. Wii's success was down to Wii Sports, not Zelda, which was the flagship title. So here I'd argue that Nintendo Land didn't do its job effectively.

Was Mario Kart, which sold 37 million on Wii, but only 8 million on Wii U, another reason for Wii U's failure? 

The 3DS didn't have a strong launch either but went on to be successful, or even the DS which launched with nothing of any real note. People just didn't get Wii U full stop.

13 minutes ago, joe bazooka said:

He's saying that MarioU looked very uninspired for a launch title on a new HD console. And he's right. I'm sure it wasn't the only reason for the WiiU's failure but it certainly didn't help.

Again, it sold well, it's the third best selling game on the system. If anything it contributed to the Wii U having any sales at all.

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

But the facts don't back up what you're suggesting. Wii's success was down to Wii Sports, not Zelda, which was the flagship title. So here I'd argue that Nintendo Land didn't do its job effectively.

Was Mario Kart, which sold 37 million on Wii, but only 8 million on Wii U, another reason for Wii U's failure? 

The 3DS didn't have a strong launch either but went on to be successful, or even the DS which launched with nothing of any real note. People just didn't get Wii U full stop.

There are no facts, are there? We're obviously just guessing. I think there's a decent chance the WiiU would have done better had it launched with something great looking like BotW or Odyssey. But who knows. We know the WiiU tank tank tanked. I reckon part of that was because it launched with a 2D game indistinguishable from the Wii version. But yeah, who really knows!

• Upvote 1

Just now, Stanley said:

Again, it sold well, it's the third best selling game on the system. If anything it contributed to the Wii U having any sales at all.

I think most of that was people buying a WiiU because it was a Nintendo console and wanting a game. That's why I bought it. 

The only problem with Mario U was how close it launched to the 3DS sequel, literally months apart. It being 2D or looking bland, uninspired etc. didn't affect sales previously.

1 minute ago, joe bazooka said:

I think most of that was people buying a WiiU because it was a Nintendo console and wanting a game. That's why I bought it. 

Yeah but that game should have been Nintendo Land, the game designed solely to sell the Wii U's unique capabilities. 

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

The only problem with Mario U was how close it launched to the 3DS sequel, literally months apart. It being 2D or looking bland, uninspired etc. didn't affect sales previously.

But the first few didn't look uninspired. Like, looking uninspired only happens after you've released a few similar looking games! 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

Yeah but that game should have been Nintendo Land, the game designed solely to sell the Wii U's unique capabilities. 

Yeah, Nintendo Land was another reason.

3 minutes ago, joe bazooka said:

But the first few didn't look uninspired. Like, looking uninspired only happens after you've released a few similar looking games! 

Ok but the 3DS game which launched months earlier, looks the same, went on to sell 17 million. The problem was the hardware, not the game.