rllmuk
Stanshall

Abandoned Games

Star Wars: Fallen Order

For now, just find it a tad too irritating when you’re in traversal mode. Playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider instead and finding it much more enjoyable. 

19 hours ago, Thor said:

Celeste. 

Got too frustrating for me. Shame. 

I had the same experience even with the difficulty assists active. (Give those a try before giving up.)

I'll try again 2020.

20 hours ago, sandman said:

return of the obra dinn

... I really didn’t appreciate the art style at all.

Youngsters today. Back in the 80s, if you had a Mac, that was the only style you had on offer.

Took one look at the game and had Hypercard flashbacks.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, smac said:

Youngsters today. Back in the 80s, if you had a Mac, that was the only style you had on offer.

Took one look at the game and had Hypercard flashbacks.

It's been awhile since anyone called me a youngster.  

On 30/12/2019 at 21:50, spanx said:

Star Wars: Fallen Order

For now, just find it a tad too irritating when you’re in traversal mode. Playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider instead and finding it much more enjoyable. 

Can't see a 2020 thread, but I've abandoned this too.

It had pretty much nothing going for my tastes - I don't like Star Wars, don't like Dark Souls, don't like Mirror's Edge and don't like Metroidvanias. I was only playing it as my friend had it (and we took turns to play bits) but neither of us knew it wasn't a linear experience, which was an immediate disappointment. Of what we did play,  we both found the combat was generally dull (the lack of any simple combo system was baffling), the traversal boring (and felt very padded out) and having the 'reset enemies on resting' mechanic just feels so out of place and weird.

I think we got about halfway, but I could've happily given up after the first overlong level - and the thought of having to revisit them later was not a pleasant prospect.

Definitely not one for me.

• Upvote 1

I  gave up on River City Girls a week or so ago. It was just boring. Scrolling beat 'em ups have always struggled with variety, but they're usually done in under an hour. When it's stretched out like this it needs a lot more than unlockable moves and witty banter to keep it fresh. Like some interesting level and enemy design. Only the bosses try anything different, but when they do they're mostly pretty annoying. I plodded on as far as the 5th one and couldn't be bothered anymore. 

At least the music was decent.

• Upvote 1

I've put about 15 hours into Far Cry 5, and whilst it has largely been a good time I'm beginning to feel that Ubisoft busywork grind set in. Near the beginning you're asked to climb a tower and sort out a transmitter, the guy tells you it's okay, you won't be asked to climb loads of towers, and that's true, as is the fact the map isn't full of icons. But despite the intriguing premise it is very much more Far Cry. Might give it another go later and see if it clicks back in but zzzzzzz.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

Yakuza 0

I liked a lot of this, I really did, but fundamentally the balance between gameplay and watching cut-scenes tipped too far towards sitting on my sofa and pressing X.

I think if the fighting element had been a little less button-mashy (only on the first boss fight did I have to stretegise) I may have persisted. I loved a lot of the sub-games, especially baseball and pool, and I see why people love the melange of whacky sub-missions and distractions but I felt after around 18 hours I was hitting the wall and was playing it out of duty rather than love.

Sorry Yakuza fans. I tried. I really did.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 7

Everything

A fun curio, but also one of maybe half a dozen games to ever give me motion sickness, and probably the severest motion sickness of all of them, couldn't play past half an hour.

• Upvote 1

The Surge

I want to continue this, but I'm just not good enough. I'm only on the second level (where there are some secret ninjas you can fight) and they just kill me constantly and so I know I won't be able to beat the levels ahead.

It's a shame though, I was enjoying the setting and would've gone on to get the second game at some point too. Not now though, I've spent too long getting whacked and I have too much other, more accessible, stuff to play.

18 minutes ago, Gabe said:

The Surge

I want to continue this, but I'm just not good enough. I'm only on the second level (where there are some secret ninjas you can fight) and they just kill me constantly and so I know I won't be able to beat the levels ahead.

It's a shame though, I was enjoying the setting and would've gone on to get the second game at some point too. Not now though, I've spent too long getting whacked and I have too much other, more accessible, stuff to play.

It is a shame when a game with a great setting that you're really enjoying has to be abandoned due to difficulty. Is it like Dark Souls where there's essentially no option to change the challenge (apart from upgrading equipment and grinding skills)?

Dark Souls certainly doesn't rely on grinding equipment or skills to change the challenge. Both would do very little. The Surge does offer the option of using better rigs but again it's mainly about realising why you're dying and to stop doing it.

I don’t usually participate in threads like this, as I don’t ever really abandon games, I stick with them and try to get my head around what makes the game tick and I usually almost always have a good time. Celeste for example, I was quite lukewarm on for maybe even the first third of the game till it all ramped up and I ended up absolutely loving it. 

So yeah, I’ve abandoned Ace Combat 7 for the time being, although might return to it. Even though on paper it’s something I’d like...crazy MGS style story, Air Combat game that’s few and far between, good challenge and mission variety... I’m just finding it a little tedious, with ALL these types of games where you’re constantly looping about to try and get locked on behind an air craft. 
I far prefer the more Arcade style type thing of Star Fox or Panzer Dragoon where you’re a bit more on rails tbh. 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

Everything

A fun curio, but also one of maybe half a dozen games to ever give me motion sickness, and probably the severest motion sickness of all of them, couldn't play past half an hour.

I had the same problem. Never play Goat Simulator if Everything is a problem.

1 hour ago, Mawdlin said:

It is a shame when a game with a great setting that you're really enjoying has to be abandoned due to difficulty. Is it like Dark Souls where there's essentially no option to change the challenge (apart from upgrading equipment and grinding skills)?

There's no difficulty settings, no.

I accept that I'm not skilled enough to progress. In truth I'm not a fan of the Souls-like structure of everything respawning and seeing the same areas again and again either (I put over 100 hours into Dark Souls and I still don't think I actually enjoyed it). The story here was intriguing though. I may try and give it one more attempt.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, El Spatula said:

Dark Souls certainly doesn't rely on grinding equipment or skills to change the challenge. Both would do very little. The Surge does offer the option of using better rigs but again it's mainly about realising why you're dying and to stop doing it.

Yes, playing 'better' is important in Dark Souls but to suggest grinding souls and finding/upgrading equipment doesn't massively help with the challenge... it's such a key part of the game and why there's so many online threads about skill/equipment loadouts.

I just wondered if The Surge is similar as it's on my to do list after getting it on PSPlus.

2 hours ago, El Spatula said:

Nonsense. Grinding helps massively in Dark Souls.  Lets you hit harder and survive longer for a start.

• Upvote 5

Each to their own, I've never really thought that grinding would help and have certainly never really bothered doing it.

27 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Dune Emperor is abandoned and free to download. 

Yeah this thread title should be changed to ‘Games you abandoned’.

The current title implies it’s a thread about abandonware.

• Upvote 1

Nine pages of glorious abandonment until you two disingenuous pedants came along. 

Hear this well:

THERE WILL BE NO CHANGE 

• Upvote 6

Grandia 2. I know it has its fans on here and I'd be curious to know if they've played it that recently. The first I quite enjoyed bar one difficulty spike and weak dungeon design, the battle system was interesting if underdeveloped and it was all so happy and bright and nobody had amnesia. This looks great too in a different way that you don't get any more but they've made the battles inforgiveably slow, the dungeons are just as poor and worst of all the characters are just dreadful. The absolute worst type of edgy contrarian protagonist accompanied by (so far, 10ish hours in) three of the usual shite party members - naive religous girl, weak but spunky orphan boy and gruff monster who starts out wanting to kill you before realising the error of hi..... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. It's the Prince of Persia: Warrior Within of JRPG sequels.

• Upvote 1

On 07/02/2020 at 15:37, Mawdlin said:

Yakuza 0

I liked a lot of this, I really did, but fundamentally the balance between gameplay and watching cut-scenes tipped too far towards sitting on my sofa and pressing X.

I think if the fighting element had been a little less button-mashy (only on the first boss fight did I have to stretegise) I may have persisted. I loved a lot of the sub-games, especially baseball and pool, and I see why people love the melange of whacky sub-missions and distractions but I felt after around 18 hours I was hitting the wall and was playing it out of duty rather than love.

Sorry Yakuza fans. I tried. I really did.

For me it was coming off of the back of a Yakuza Kiwami playthrough of god knows how many hours (in a failed attempt to Platinum) and straight into this one. 

Again I fully immersed myself into 0, put a good number of hours in doing everything, before hitting that state of no longer playing for fun but because I felt I had to.

That was over 18 months ago and I am now bloody considering playing it all again when it hits Xbox on Gamepass in the near future!

• Upvote 1

On 30/12/2019 at 19:41, Thor said:

Celeste. 

Got too frustrating for me. Shame. 

Counterintuitive controls are its appeal, else it'd be a standard platformer. You either endure them until they're rewarding or you don't (I didn't).

Just Cause 4.  The best bits in JC3 were the staged base invasions where you had to cause certain amounts of mayhem to succeed.

JC4 stripped all those out in favour of "Press these 3 buttons miles apart within a time limit so tight you won't have time to do anything else".

Star Wars Fallen Order (did not feel like star wars to me, just did not grab me at all).

Destingy 2 (Sucks the life out you, not in a good way).

The second Tomb Raider (loved the reboot, was gutted when it finished, probably the increased RPG stuff).

Zelda Breath of the wild (I bloody hate the RPG bits with breakable weapons...HATE IT!!!).

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bonzai1888 said:

Zelda Breath of the wild (I bloody hate the RPG bits with breakable weapons...HATE IT!!!).

Yeah, that's one of the many reasons that Breath of the Wild, while incredible just isn't for me.

Also extremely scarce food with time limited effects, so I couldn't explore places like the extreme cold section because I was continually in a time panic. An open world game, for me, should always let me take my time outside of obvious set pieces.

• Upvote 1