IGNORED

Abandoned Games

Marlew

Plus the cabaret club, arcades, karaoke etc. It has gameplay coming out of its ears. If you are not invested in the story I can see why you'd bounce off it hard, but after 10+ years playing these games I love the setting, characters, all the little intricacies. And you can run away from street fights! 

On 13/03/2021 at 13:00, Mogster said:

The combat gets quite technical, and more options open up as you gather new materia. Some of the fights were really quite tricky. If the combat is the main thing bothering you then yes, it gets better.

Thanks for this, now 8 or so hours in and it's much better, although the classic fighting still seems a little broken it's not yet killed me so who cares.

4 hours ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

Plus the cabaret club, arcades, karaoke etc. It has gameplay coming out of its ears. If you are not invested in the story I can see why you'd bounce off it hard, but after 10+ years playing these games I love the setting, characters, all the little intricacies. And you can run away from street fights! 

All true.

Tbf @sandman‘s statement was “i just dont get the love for the Yakuza series”. I can personally say that “the gameplay” isn’t the reason I love it, although, as mentioned above, it’s got many different styles of gameplay packed into every instalment. For me though, it’s absolutely greater than the sum of its parts. It’s the cohesive whole, how it all hangs together, the outrageous non sequitur nature of it all, blending with moments of poignancy even.

In addition to the main game, the mini games, the sub games, the skill trees, the levelling, the collecting and so on, the series has some absolute best in class world building, exhilaratingly extreme violence, incredible music and iconic, beloved characters. It’s virtual tourism, cathartic brawling, silly melodrama and absurd comedy all at once. I love how it all hangs together, how much heart and identity the series has, with its locations and characters feeling far more alive, interesting and enjoyable than most open worlds.  

What’s also great is that the player is free to dabble in whichever of the above that they prefer, and at any stage. Surely it’s not hard to get the love for it? I suppose it all comes down to what you want from your games (although I think the Yakuza games cater to all types of play, thanks to its blend of main and mini games).

Personally, being taken away to a different place, being entertained, and dicking about with throwaway arcade-lite, score-attack mini games (not to mention actual arcade games) while taking in a big silly story are (one of) my idea(s) of gaming bliss. Particularly while drinking a whisky for full immersion. In game, your mans can go to a bar and drink whisky, stumble out, get into a scrap, beat up some nouveau rich prick with a bike and then spend the rest of the night S-ranking the karaoke, all the while you’re actually getting more blootered IRL off the whisky and singing along :lol:  

These games are fucking holidays.

The gifs I posted are the type of thing that I wanted to experience and what I signed up for with the series. I post them here in the hope that they might motivate more people to do the same.

Can’t be having multiple people slate the Yakuza series in an abandoned games thread.

4e3.gif

I see all those gifs and just shrug my shoulders at it all and just can't muster any excitement for the series. I did complete the original game back on the PS2 but I had more tolerance for sitting through a boring story filled with terribly scripted and never-ending cutscenes. I tried playing Kiwami 0 earlier this year and managed to last about 6 or 7 hours before accepting that I wasn't having any fun whatsoever and had no interest in anything about it (as posted about earlier in this thread).

It certainly doesn't help that I'm not really interested in gangster type stuff in any media, but on top of that I didn't care for the characters or 'zany' slices of Japanese life presented here, so that didn't pull me in either. And whilst the little snippet of the world it creates looks very nice with all the settings cranked-up, it's still full of dull NPCs that happily stand around waiting for you forever, of invisible barriers triggering the next scripted event and those annoying street fights that interrupt everything; there's no sense this world is ever lived-in by those that populate it. I didn't like the combat all that much either, and the regenerating health in the boss fights finally pushed me over the edge to shelving it.

I can well appreciate why people do love them though, there's a marriage of a lot of styles (with varying degrees of success) to experience and if you have a penchant for Japan/gangsters/hammy stories then there's plenty of content to enjoy. Definitely not for me though.

I played 0 and struggled to get through the long cutscenes, full of some of the worst dialogue committed to paper, just to get to some minigames that weren't as good as the real games they'd stolen the minigames from.

Followed by another cutscene.

I've tried a couple of them as they come up free on PS+ and lasted about 10 minutes into the actual game each time. Feels like God Hand if everything about it was horrible.

TLOU2 has an option to automatically collect items from drawers and whatnot as you rub along the walls. The hand and arm animations are impressive.

13 minutes ago, RipePlums said:

I played 0 and struggled to get through the long cutscenes, full of some of the worst dialogue committed to paper, just to get to some minigames that weren't as good as the real games they'd stolen the minigames from.

Followed by another cutscene.

And while it's nice having original voices it does mean you can't enjoy a cutscene while checking twitter or the forum or heading to the kitchen and listening.

Because subtitles.

Assassin's Creed Chronicles:Russia I enjoyed the first two (although got this odd feeling I should be playing Mark of the Ninja instead) but the further I got the more prescriptive the gameplay became. Russia had some nice changes with two playable characters with very different abilities.

But level 8 just has this sequence that has to be done perfectly. It's a stealth section with an instant fail if you're spotted and you have just 50 seconds to complete it. The tolerance for failure is so small I just can't do it. I'm not going to waste what little time I have this weekend playing something that makes 8 bit games look fair.

Previously

The Medium (PC) 

If can see how Yakuza isn’t for everyone, but to me it’s the ultimate game series. A serious enough story line to keep me going with all the laughs you could ever want from a game. I think it’s the only game series I’ve ever laughed out loud at.

World War Z - PS Now

For my very first time as a level 1 Medic it matched me with a game in progress without any tutorial what so ever. Weapon wheel, melee, run, heal, cover, objectives, class specific talents. Nothing is explained. Do headshots work, can I cripple enemies, what is this "gasback" enemy? Can I dodge?

Gave it about 10 to 15 minutes before uninstalling, this is not worth my time.

Darksiders II: Deathinitive Edition

I got close to the end. So close. About 24 hours in and probably only one or two more dungeons to go. There were short spells where I enjoyed it but it felt so off the peg and generic, with every game element being done better in other games before, that I never got over the overriding feeling that I'm only playing it to fill time.

I think I could've got to the end if the puzzles had been a bit more imaginative. But not only did they start repeating they became block-slidy and irksome.

This was not awful just bang average. The best thing about it was the pun in the title.

5/10

Subnautica

Crash land opening

Put the fire out and get out of the pod - I can see the crashed ship and something sticking out of the water
Swim over to the thing - it’s a coral tube. I swim around, there’s nothing obvious

Back to the pod - did I miss something inside? Can’t see anything.

Get out of the pod again and start swimming towards the crashed ship. Almost there - start getting a radiation warning

Push on and the msg continues so I turn back and get a warning - “you need to eat something”

Return to home screen and delete from system.

I can't remember if survival mode is on as default in Subnautica, but if it is it shouldn't be. My first attempt became a never ending cycle of chasing fish in order to have enough energy to chase fish, slowly dying. If you ever do give it another go turn that shit off.

It's not the default mode, but even the 'casual' mode has problems introducing you to the game. You can set off in the wrong direction and not find anything to do - probably best to play with a guide for the first hour or so. 

It's not a game for everyone to be honest. 

1 hour ago, Goemon said:

Subnautica

Crash land opening

Put the fire out and get out of the pod - I can see the crashed ship and something sticking out of the water
Swim over to the thing - it’s a coral tube. I swim around, there’s nothing obvious

Back to the pod - did I miss something inside? Can’t see anything.

Get out of the pod again and start swimming towards the crashed ship. Almost there - start getting a radiation warning

Push on and the msg continues so I turn back and get a warning - “you need to eat something”

Return to home screen and delete from system.

That was pretty much my experience. Thank God I didn’t spunk any cash on it.

A couple from recent weeks:

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

I just can't be done with these games, I've decided. I stuck with Odyssey for 15 hours and enjoyed what I played, but once I realised that the next 60-70 hours of gameplay would be very similar to what I'd done already, I decided to quit while I was ahead. I'm not sure why I bought this one, as I knew it would be more of the same, and that turned out to be very much the case. Only, this time, I was sailing along lifeless fjords and trudging around overcast medieval England instead of sun-soaked Ancient Greece, so it wasn't even that nice to look at.

If, when the next game comes out, I start talking about buying it, someone do me a favour and give me a good slap.

Star Wars: Squadrons

I started off playing this in VR via my Quest 2, and while it was impressive, it was such a faff to set up and I ran into so many technical issues that I just went back to playing it on my monitor instead.

I stopped playing it for two reasons.

First, is that it's just boring. The missions are all very repetitive, all set in space as opposed to in the skies above a planet (from what I played, anyway) and pretty much all boil down to travelling towards an objective marker and shooting the things you find there. I was hoping this would be more like the Rogue Squadron games on the Gamecube which had you doing all sorts of cool stuff, like pulling down AT-ATs on Hoth or doing the Death Star Trench Run. Instead, it's like a pseudo space sim.

Second, and this is linked to the first, I found the dogfighting frustrating, mostly because it's difficult to orientate yourself. Fighting in space with no horizon, it's hard to tell which way is up. Enemies would often go whizzing past me and I'd slow down and turn around to try to shoot them, only for them to have whizzed off somewhere else. I get that this is probably what the enemy ships should be doing - making it harder for me to shoot them - but often it just wasn't that fun.

If you like space games and/or you're a Star Wars nut then you'd probably get a lot more out of this than I did, but having done half of the main campaign's missions I'm not inspired enough to see it through, I'm afraid.

I took a couple of screenshots anyway, though. It's definitely a lovely looking game at times:

Spoiler

1950411614_STARWARS_Squadrons20_03_202122_48_45.thumb.jpg.be61722915411c77ce0a7629194d5473.jpg

1734639223_STARWARS_Squadrons20_03_202122_46_23.thumb.jpg.564505de6fd7afa3c252adb672f055bf.jpg

Doom 2 - Apparently this game only existed to essentially buy time because Carmack was struggling with the 3D engine for Quake, and that it was made by the B-team kind of shows. There's some nice additions, but the level design is overall worse than the uneven original.

But the biggest problem is it's just too fucking dark - this is clearly where the terrible eyestrain era of PC games started and even now when I see a lovingly artistically rendered night-time scene and someone suggests that it should just be a solid #000000 hex value because "it's too light, real night is daaarrk", I wanna reach through the screen and rip out their eyes.

30 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Doom 2 - Apparently this game only existed to essentially buy time because Carmack was struggling with the 3D engine for Quake, and that it was made by the B-team kind of shows. There's some nice additions, but the level design is overall worse than the uneven original.

But the biggest problem is it's just too fucking dark - this is clearly where the terrible eyestrain era of PC games started and even now when I see a lovingly artistically rendered night-time scene and someone suggests that it should just be a solid #000000 hex value because "it's too light, real night is daaarrk", I wanna reach through the screen and rip out their eyes.

This is exactly why I turn HDR off. Maybe my monitor is just a bit shit at it, but everything is waaaay too dark. It looks so much better turned off. 

Genesis Noir

It looks lovely and usually I'm all over this sort of game but there's a weird film effect which makes the brightness flicker up and down like old film that just game me a headache every time I tried to play.

YMMV but if you're photosensitive at all be warned.

Secret of Mana (PS4) - My biggest problem with this (and something that plagued last year's Trials of Mana remake) is that it's so slow moving. I'd feel like I'd played for ages and then realised I'd spent 20 minutes playing. It's a drag. As a side note, the graphical style they went with is ugly.

Akiba's Trip (PS4) - I really should do more research before buying games. I thought this might be a little like Yakuza - I mean it's a 3D beat em up set in Tokyo. In fact, It's just plain weird in ripping clothes off enemies. Nah.

Captain Tsubasa: Rise of New Champions (PS4) - This is a very average arcadey football game; with special moves such as power shots and huge tackles. It's just not very good. I'd much rather spend my time playing Pro Evolution.

MLB: The Show 20 (PS4) - Every few years I fancy playing a baseball game and a few hours in I'm reminded why it's a mistake. Over the years I've purchased Mario Baseball; The Bigs; Dynamite Slugger and now this, and every time I regret it. Baseball as a video game is just quite tedious. 

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven (PS4) - It's a 3D arena fighter with huge combos. I found the fighting frustrating. I'm probably approaching it the wrong way as my natural approach is to view it as I would a 3D action game but there's no dodge. I died a lot and didn't really understand what I was doing well and what I was doing wrong, which is never good. 

On 20/03/2021 at 10:19, phillv85 said:

If can see how Yakuza isn’t for everyone, but to me it’s the ultimate game series. A serious enough story line to keep me going with all the laughs you could ever want from a game. I think it’s the only game series I’ve ever laughed out loud at.

Completely agree. It's so rare that games even attempt comedy, and yet Yakuza is consistently the funniest game series out there.