Abandoned Games

2 minutes ago, Hodge said:

God Of War (PS4)

Gave up after 6 hours or so.  Technically very good, but the game is so boring and forgettable, I was really struggling to carry on.  Looked up and saw it was 25hrs to finish and thought theirs no point in carrying on. Every time i came to play it, i was really struggling to remember where i had been and what i had done before hand.  Only rememberable bit in the game for me was the opening fight with that guy.  Real slog to play so gave up.  

11600405_tenor(1).gif.622b88bcdc8e708bb14d52278ded2d51.gif

Horses for courses, but I adored GoW. Maybe give it a go again when you're more in the mood for it.

I've reinstalled it a dozen times and feel exactly the same. My memory is walking slowly down some corridors while the fan goes apeshit and loads the next area. Combat never hit the spot for me and the characterisation is fucking inane. 

29 minutes ago, Hodge said:

God Of War (PS4)

Gave up after 6 hours or so.  Technically very good, but the game is so boring and forgettable, I was really struggling to carry on.  Looked up and saw it was 25hrs to finish and thought theirs no point in carrying on. Every time i came to play it, i was really struggling to remember where i had been and what i had done before hand.  Only rememberable bit in the game for me was the opening fight with that guy.  Real slog to play so gave up.  

:-/ Never even tried this. Think I played a GoW on the PS3. Watched a few YouTube vids of gameplay for this and decided I wouldn't bother. Personally the PlayStation exclusives haven't been my bag this generation only DriveClub I think was one that resonated. This is why it's an easy decision not to buy a PS5 at launch or if ever.

8 minutes ago, Marlew said:

I've reinstalled it a dozen times and feel exactly the same. My memory is walking slowly down some corridors while the fan goes apeshit and loads the next area. Combat never hit the spot for me and the characterisation is fucking inane. 

I doubt you'll change your mind, but I felt the combat was a bit off to begin with, too, but when it clicks it clicks big time. The characters also get more interesting, helped no end by the fantastic voice acting, especially from the son. I think I just enjoyed exploring the world more than anything, however - again, it takes a little while to open up, but after a few hours it turns into a triple A Metroidvania-lite, which I bloody loved. Plus the direction. And the music. And the monsters. And more or less everything else :wub:

6 minutes ago, MattyP said:

:-/ Never even tried this. Think I played a GoW on the PS3. Watched a few YouTube vids of gameplay for this and decided I wouldn't bother. Personally the PlayStation exclusives haven't been my bag this generation only DriveClub I think was one that resonated. This is why it's an easy decision not to buy a PS5 at launch or if ever.

The only PS exclusive that hit the spot for me was Horizon, which some folk gave up on judging by previous pages.  I think it`s like with any game really, the world, story and gameplay mechanics have got to click and unfortunately It didn`t with GOW.  Reinstalled it twice and felt same, so called it a day.

@Jamie John

It looks great. The sea dragon thing and a couple of massive bosses were spectacular, but the moment to moment bored me senseless. I played it for a good twelve hours or so over about two years and just felt bored 99% of the time. 

19 minutes ago, Marlew said:

Think sometimes you try and convince yourself that you are missing something because everyone else is raving about a popular game. If it doesn't resonate with you just leave it and move on. Life is too short and you are loosing gaming time that you could be spending enjoying something else.

I have this with many mainstream AAA games of late, Grand Theft Auto 5, Red Dead 2, Zelda Breath of the wild (wasted far too much time trying to love that one because I absolutely adored all the previous Zelda games). Latest one was the Last Of Us 2. 

7 minutes ago, Hodge said:

The only PS exclusive that hit the spot for me was Horizon, which some folk gave up on judging by previous pages.  I think it`s like with any game really, the world, story and gameplay mechanics have got to click and unfortunately It didn`t with GOW.  Reinstalled it twice and felt same, so called it a day.

Never tried Horizon. It's out on the PC now I think. Might have a look at some point. Remember liking the sound of it but it fell by the wayside for some other game at the time.

Anyway. Star Wars Squadrons next week for me. Going to he great.....

Zombie Army 4. XBox One.

Even at the easiest setting, levels seem to have been designed for cooperative play and a complete slog for a single player. 

That plus the relatively sluggish pad control is just draining.

Pity as the quality and polish of the game is great plus, they went for a rather novel Nazi Zombie theme...

Gave up on Carrion this weekend. I was enjoying it but for various reasons I hadn't played it in a few weeks. Picked it back up yesterday and just couldn't for the live of me figure out where I was meant to go next. Spent about 15 minutes going round in circles and endlessly going through levels I'd already been to before deciding life's too short. I feel like I'd already seen most of what it offered so I'm not too mad but a bit disappointing.

I abandoned the Witcher 3 after completing the main game, all of Hearts of Stone, and partway through blood and wine. I'd got the best armour, and then put it to one side for about 5 weeks. When I returned I just wasn't feeling it anymore.

8 minutes ago, Hodge said:

This thread is the reason I love Gamepass so much! Delete and move on  :D

That’s my exact trepidation with something like Gamepass, that people won’t give a moment of even the slightest friction in a game to subside before it gets the UNINSTALL boot. 
I also don’t want to see games being designed to combat this new impatience by front loading to get attention. 

11 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

That’s my exact trepidation with something like Gamepass, that people won’t give a moment of even the slightest friction in a game to subside before it gets the UNINSTALL boot. 
I also don’t want to see games being designed to combat this new impatience by front loading to get attention. 

On the flip side, It allows you to play titles you would of never gave a chance in the first place due to price or going under the radar. Dishonored is a game I would of never gave a chance if it weren't for Gamepass and really enjoying atm.  Same with Touryst and Deliver us the moon.  Another 2 games I loved and wouldn`t of played if it weren't for Gamepass.   

37 minutes ago, Hodge said:

On the flip side, It allows you to play titles you would of never gave a chance in the first place due to price or going under the radar. Dishonored is a game I would of never gave a chance if it weren't for Gamepass and really enjoying atm.  Same with Touryst and Deliver us the moon.  Another 2 games I loved and wouldn`t of played if it weren't for Gamepass.   

This is all a fair point too! I totally get that, and agree. 

I was the same when I subbed. I don't really get the appeal, it's a service full of games I feel like I didn't pay for so the desire to play them just isn't there. I mainly used it to save me switching discs of stuff I already owned.

I'm the opposite. I end up playing stuff because it's leaving the Game Pass soon, whilst neglecting the games I actually own because they'll always be waiting for me later.

Really can't complain about having too many games to play, though. 

Breath of the Wild. 

Borrowed my brothers Switch to play it and after I’d done something with a blue flame (three weeks ago) I’ve had no intention to go back and play it. Booted it up at the weekend and turned it off after 5 mins. 

13 hours ago, Hodge said:

This thread is the reason I love Gamepass so much! Delete and move on  :D

Indeed. And for those that keep saying problem with GamePass is "I download but never play the games" well it's not GamePasses fault!!! :D A problem is only a problem if you make it one :) Just unsub if you aren't happy. Simple. However expect a fair few people took advantage of the conversion from Gold trick. So really paid very little in real terms for their gaming for upto 3 years!!!!

Anyway for me it's been a revelation. Saved me so much money and I have got to play so many games I would not have tried. I played Forza Horizon 4 day of release and played it to death for a couple of months for back then a pound (did my Gold conversion really early on)  Even now it would only be £14 at current sub rates. No messing about paying £50 for a game and reselling when I'm done etc. Or paying over the odds for a digital copy.

The way to think about it is there is a lot on there but you don't have to play it all at once to get value out of the service. Even if you play one game solidly for a month it's great value. I tend to have a more involved game and an indie title on the go at the same time. So for example FH4 and Old Mans Journey. 

It's great. Anyway did I say Star Wars Squadrons is out this Friday already?! yay! I'll be away on a mini break untill Tuesday boo. :)

L

5 minutes ago, Trigg said:

Breath of the Wild. 

Borrowed my brothers Switch to play it and after I’d done something with a blue flame (three weeks ago) I’ve had no intention to go back and play it. Booted it up at the weekend and turned it off after 5 mins. 

Feel it. It's Zelda. But not as we know it. 

1 hour ago, Trigg said:

Breath of the Wild. 

I have this arriving soon after all the praise I thought I really should give it a try.

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

It's great. Anyway did I say Star Wars Squadrons is out this Friday already?! yay! I'll be away on a mini break untill Tuesday boo. :)

I'm playing Star Wars Battlefront 2 at the moment and really love the flying around in the tie-fighter/x-wing. Will get Squadrons on the PS5.

3 hours ago, Trigg said:

Breath of the Wild. 

Yep that's about what I did.  I absolutely get why some people think it's great but for me it was just so dull.

I'm close to giving up on Yakuza Kiwami. I realise that to a lot of the forum that's probably like insulting their first-born - but it's just so boring.

I actually completed the original game back on the PS2 many, many years ago and only started playing this because it came with a Humble Choice and I didn't realise it was just a remake of that game.

Anyway, I'm up to Chapter 6 and there's nothing grabbing me. I could list out all the reasons why, but ultimately it comes down to that fact that the core story and setting doesn't appeal, married to long, dull cutscenes and padded-out gameplay. I presume a lot of people find charm in the city and substories, but they do nothing for me. I'm not a fan of the fighting either, with enemies able to recharge their health particularly annoying me.

The more I type, the more I'm deciding that, actually, I have better things to spend my time on. It's a shame, because I would've played some of the others via Game Pass had it grabbed me but I guess the difference between now and 10+ years ago when I originally played it is having more stuff to play and that I've moved away from the days where I liked a good JRPG (I appreciate this isn't a JRPG, but it has a similar twee feel to it.) Oh well.

The last Star wars game. It looks great but it’s soooooo dull. Simply feels like a game I’ve played countless times already as it just cribs from every big  AAA game you can think of. 

Uninstalled.

17 minutes ago, strider said:

The last Star wars game. It looks great but it’s soooooo dull. Simply feels like a game I’ve played countless times already as it just cribs from every big  AAA game you can think of. 

Uninstalled.

Fallen Jedi? It definetly borrowed from Uncharted/Lara Croft etc but overall was still a fun game to play. I enjoyed it just for the amount of force powers you learnt as you got stronger. I love the Star Wars universe so will play anything.