IGNORED

Abandoned Games

Marlew

Bit of a backlog here. Time to trawl some forum darlings through the muck!

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Switch)

I've completed this a couple of times already on the GBA but I never owned the SNES version (or a SNES) so there's not the pull of nostalgia to keep me playing. I escaped from the castle and did the first dungeon but it's all very familiar and just felt a bit too...retro, which I know is a silly thing to say, but I just wasn't hooked by it. Seminal, obviously, but not that interesting in 2020.

WipEout: Omega Collection (PS4)

I just couldn't really figure out how to play this at all, having not played a game in the series since the original on the PS1 when I was about 8 years old, and the game doesn't do much to teach you. You load it up and you're dumped in menus that somehow seem minimalist and overwhelming at the same time. I played a dozen races or so but never really got a feel for it.

Trine (PC)

I bought this back in about 2011. It just played like wank. Physics-based platformer puzzlers have had their day, I'm afraid.

Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary (PC Game Pass)

Loved it at the time, when I was about 12, but nearly 20 years since its release it hasn't really dated well. The shooting felt weightless and unsatisfying and everything's just so floaty and horrible. I played through a few of the missions and then skipped ahead to the Silent Cartographer, which was still quite good in places, but overall there wasn't enough to pull me back.

Control (PC)

I've posted about this in the main thread. Ultimately, I just thought it was boring and repetitive. You walk around shooting enemies or throwing lumps of masonry at them, wait for your power up bars to refill, rinse and repeat. It looked very nice, but I thought most of the environments were just boring (and yes, I know that's the point). Playing it so soon after completing TLOU2, the voice-acting, writing and facial animations felt very second-rate, too.

Streets of Rage 4 (PC Game Pass)

Beyond that weird bonus mode in Tekken 3, which I never liked, I've never played a side-scrolling beat 'em up before, and I have no rose-tinted memories at all for the earlier games in the series, so I came to this without any cushioning nostalgia at all. I liked how detailed the art was, and the music was good, but after about half a dozen missions I kept dying to gank squads and attacks that initiated from off the screen, which wasn't much fun, especially when you got booted back to the start of the level when you died. The '2.5D' way that your character shuffles around the screen also felt horrible, particularly when you trying to evade attacks. I can see how fans of the genre and series would no doubt lap this up, but it didn't do much for me.

Carrion (PC Game Pass)

I came very close to finishing this until I got to a particularly shit bit with some horrible checkpointing, died several times and ended up rage uninstalling it. Up until that point I thought it started off well but became pretty repetitive, and I really didn't like how there wasn't a map.

West of the Dead (PC Game Pass)

I made a thread about this because I was so impressed by the aesthetic and the premise from the initial trailer, but in practice it just felt like it was still in beta, and I didn't rate Perlman's delivery, either.

Bastion (Switch)

Another one that I came quite close to the end of before getting bored with. Again, very repetitive and doesn't do enough to shake things up, and the voice-over really got on my nerves.

Flipping Death (Switch)

This was promising to begin with but quickly overwhelms you with busy work and horrible platforming. I think it would have been much better as a straight point-and-click as opposed to the 2D side-scrolling thing they went for. The writing missed for me more often than it hit, and I didn't like the 'quirky' main character.

Dragon's Dogma (PS4)

Pfft, I just can't be arsed, y'know? Especially when I've got Witcher 3 in my pile to replay, plus Divinity Original Sin 2, both of which are regarded as much better RPGs. I know it's supposed to be a cult classic, flawed gem, and all the rest of it, but I thought the combat was horribly loose (where's my lock on!?) and I just couldn't be done with the ugliness, drabness and general jank. I was dubious even before I bought it, but managed to talk myself into it all the same.

On 18/08/2020 at 03:10, Dudley said:

It's so often shitty boss fights in games isn't it?

This doesn't count as abandoned yet, but I was thinking about hitting install on my free copy of Remnant: From the Ashes from the Epic Games Store, then I read a post from somebody in the thread here about it having bosses which are difficult because of the minions rather than the bosses themselves. Nooope.

On 17/08/2020 at 18:21, RipePlums said:

Shitty boss fights or several waves of shit enemies in a row. Don't waste my time, game.

On 17/08/2020 at 18:10, Dudley said:

It's so often shitty boss fights in games isn't it?

You guys would love Remnant: From the Ashes.

In unrelated news, I've abandoned Remnant: From the Ashes one boss in. And I paid for it as well.

Not that I'm going to abandon it because it'll get better with more tools unlocked but the first boss in Spiderman is like this.

Firstly it's a perfectly sensible boss which is teaching you the mechanics of fighting a big enemy.  Great.

Then you beat it and have to do it all over again with infinitely respawning normal enemies around who interrupt everything you do and you haven't unlocked anything to stop them with yet.

Abysmal design.

13 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Not that I'm going to abandon it because it'll get better with more tools unlocked but the first boss in Spiderman is like this.

Firstly it's a perfectly sensible boss which is teaching you the mechanics of fighting a big enemy.  Great.

Then you beat it and have to do it all over again with infinitely respawning normal enemies around who interrupt everything you do and you haven't unlocked anything to stop them with yet.

Abysmal design.

I'm pretty sure they aren't infinite, I seem to remember them not spawning anymore...

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

The start was painful, having you walk maybe 2 feet at a time before wrestling control away for another shit cut scene. 

First mission was okay but nothing amazing, again painful cut scenes and dialog. Get to the oil rig and in another cut scene they make a big deal of giving the guy you rescued a set of crutches only so he can walk approximately 3 feet and then climb onto a stretcher. Fuck.This.Game

Also did I hit the wrong button at some point or did the game load up a character creation screen only to ignore what you pick as your face and just continue with snake looking like snake anyway? Wut

edit: okay that looks to have been on purpose, would have been funny if it hadn't have come at the end of like 40 minutes of watching shit from your bed.

Vambrace: Cold Soul

that is one of the worst names for a game ever. Goddamn

Struggling with Assassins Creed Odyssey if I'm honest.  The irony is I took a break due to the hot weather and just not gone back to it.  Fairly close to the end of the main story line so may just summon the will power to finish that and have a break.  Was loving it up until then though.

I've already complained in the relevant thread, but Greedfall. I'm 20 hours in and just thinking about continuing fills me with fatigue. Either the first 20 hours is an elongated prologue or this is as exciting and engaging as it'll ever get. Nothing seems to be a pressing matter, nobody so far particularly cares about anything, the diplomatic tone of many conversations make it extremely tough to get excited about what's going on.

I find it plain old boring.

Super Monkey Ball 2 - Originally I was surprised to learn that the original Monkey Ball was a Japanese arcade game, but it can't have made much money, judging by how coin-guzzling this sequel is. Warp exits that skip levels to reward skill? Gone, replaced by higher scores. Getting bananas for 1Ups and Special Stages? Good luck, expect 1 or 2 bananas per level unless you choose the ludicrously hard routes, and level design that relies on giant spinny things that whack you about unless you have precise timing, rather than requiring skill. Oh dear.

Trails in the Sky :unsure: I was loving it - the characters are great, but then I realised I was just doing the exact same thing over and over again: get to a town, do similar bracer quests, progress the story by a tiny amount, repeat. I know that's basically every RPG ever.

The story seems like it's going to get interesting, but it's just not happening quickly enough. I want to know what the big mystery is! The last thing I did was went to see Professor R about the black orbment.

6 hours ago, Timmo said:

I'm pretty sure they aren't infinite, I seem to remember them not spawning anymore...

Maybe, they're certainly multiple spawning though, so you can't avoid the boss to take out the grunts.

It might not even be a problem late on but I think designers often forget they've given you shit all to work with in hour 1.

I very very nearly abandoned Far Cry 3, that QTE fight at the end had me pulling my hair out. Literally would learn a new button press and die immediately (write it down, start again, listen to the dialogue for the umpteenth time, get one step further, die again and rinse repeat). There must have been 20 odd combinations in the end.

Obviously did it but was that close to throwing it all in. QTE's, especially fast and overly long ones like this, can go away (or at least add a checkpoint in the middle).

3 hours ago, Thwomp said:

Trails in the Sky :unsure: I was loving it - the characters are great, but then I realised I was just doing the exact same thing over and over again: get to a town, do similar bracer quests, progress the story by a tiny amount, repeat. I know that's basically every RPG ever.

The story seems like it's going to get interesting, but it's just not happening quickly enough. I want to know what the big mystery is! The last thing I did was went to see Professor R about the black orbment.

The story never gets going and it was one of the dullest RPGs I've played (I don't quite remember, but I think you only find anything out in the last hour or so). From reading around at the time, it seems the story only properly moves along in the second game and the first one sets up lots of lore and little nods that are referenced later. I suppose if you enjoy the fighting system (I really, really didn't, especially how slow it was) then it's perhaps worth with for that.

10 hours ago, Jg15 said:

I very very nearly abandoned Far Cry 3, that QTE fight at the end had me pulling my hair out. Literally would learn a new button press and die immediately (write it down, start again, listen to the dialogue for the umpteenth time, get one step further, die again and rinse repeat). There must have been 20 odd combinations in the end.

Obviously did it but was that close to throwing it all in. QTE's, especially fast and overly long ones like this, can go away (or at least add a checkpoint in the middle).

Doesn't quite apply to that one but I've got a nasty habit of putting the controller down during cut scenes, maybe grabbing my phone or something.

And then a QTE comes out of nowhere and fucks me right over :D

14 hours ago, Jg15 said:

I found the QTE being there a baffling design choice. Dying Light suffers from the same issue where there's no noticeable QTE event (not counting doors, chests and whatnot) until the very final boss. Dying Light is all about parcours, performing death defying jumps and tricks. There's so much potential for a neat boss fight that works with the mechanics that act as the foundation for the entire bloody thing. But no, a QTE. In both this and FC3 that design choice deflated that killed-the-final-boss euphoria.

Last Of Us 2 is shortly going to be abandoned I think. Just finding the whole thing a bit *too* depressing. I mean its just the constant killing all the time really tedious. Finding that I don't even care about the characters or story anymore. Loved the first one but this? Just not resonating with me on any level finding the game tedious as much of a tech marvel that it is in terms of sound and visuals. 

Think the first one I could relate to Joel and Ellie and their struggle to find their way across a apocalyptic America to find a meaning to their lifes but with this?! No. Nothing. I'm around 7 - 10 hours in and haven't touched it for two weeks. And I don't want to go back to it again either. Oh another monster to kill. Or another group of henchman from one of two factions. 

Just wish at time all this talent could be used to make a great game than didn't involve pretty senseless violence. Suppose it is a revenge story. Still.... 

Hmm, I'd bear in mind that "keeping at it" would mean over twenty hours of more killing, and if you don't care about the characters now then you won't care about what happens to them later.

I'm glad I payed TLOU2, but I found it quite draining and I'm not sure I'd want to play a sequel.

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

Hmm, I'd bear in mind that "keeping at it" would mean over twenty hours of more killing, and if you don't care about the characters now then you won't care about what happens to them later.

Don't think I could take another 24 hours or so of this. Struggling now......  On the upside I have got my Wii out again and I'm rediscovering that so there is a plus point to the experience I guess. And it kind of got me doing Yoga again....  :) 

20 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

I can’t do it, the crutches!

Woah, we can’t let this go. You’ve not reached the proper game yet. Do you not want to experience the actual open-ended stealth action part of the game?

Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)

This has an opportunity to tell an interesting story set in an alternative Nazi-ruled dystopian future, but the actual gameplay is mindnumbingly dull and generic, sort of like Dishonored but without any of the super powers. The graphics haven't aged well in the 6 years since it first came out either, and, hey, because it's a Bethesda game it's also buggy as arseholes. Tonally it's all over the place, too, part 'War is Hell' and part Duke Nukem. I couldn't decide whether it wanted me to take it seriously or not, then I suddenly realised that I didn't care either way and uninstalled it.

I really need to stop buying stuff just because it's on sale.

• 1 month later...

Fucking Ni No fucking Kuni (Switch)

Is there any other game with such disparity between the attention, time and money that clearly went into the presentation and aesthetics versus the actual fundamentals of gameplay? This isn't even the remaster, but the bog-standard release on a big telly still looks phenomenal almost ten years on yet the combat is a little muddled. I mean at first it's a little muddled - it's mashy, a bit uninvolved, takes too long to introduce new concepts (of which there are precious few for a JRPG) - but then after the best part of ten hours you get a second party member and the lack of I in the AI is staggering. "Trash mob? Fear not friend, for I shall expend every last iota of my MP to smite them!" And the stupid boot will still die somehow.

I managed another five hours but no, no more. Fuck this game. I played more than this on the PS3 to justify my full-price purchase at the time and know it doesn't get better. Won't get fooled again etc.

God Of War (PS4)

Gave up after 6 hours or so.  Technically very good, but the game is so boring and forgettable, I was really struggling to carry on.  Looked up and saw it was 25hrs to finish and thought theirs no point in carrying on. Every time i came to play it, i was really struggling to remember where i had been and what i had done before hand.  Only rememberable bit in the game for me was the opening fight with that guy.  Real slog to play so gave up.  

2 minutes ago, Hodge said:

God Of War (PS4)

Gave up after 6 hours or so.  Technically very good, but the game is so boring and forgettable, I was really struggling to carry on.  Looked up and saw it was 25hrs to finish and thought theirs no point in carrying on. Every time i came to play it, i was really struggling to remember where i had been and what i had done before hand.  Only rememberable bit in the game for me was the opening fight with that guy.  Real slog to play so gave up.  

11600405_tenor(1).gif.622b88bcdc8e708bb14d52278ded2d51.gif

Horses for courses, but I adored GoW. Maybe give it a go again when you're more in the mood for it.