rllmuk
Stanshall

Abandoned Games (2019)

It'd be a shame to write off the genre due to not liking Ikaruga. It's a very atypical shooter and probably about the last one I'd choose to try to get someone interested.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Rsdio said:

It'd be a shame to write off the genre due to not liking Ikaruga. It's a very atypical shooter and probably about the last one I'd choose to try to get someone interested.

Indeed.... :) The Gradius series are probably better start points IMHO  - Salamander in particular is quite a nice entry point and is a mixture of horizontal and vertical scrolling levels. Lovely visuals and not too taxing. Also multiple player too (which can be fun.. although you can nudge each other)

Also has nice speech... "Pick it up for muliple..." ... "multiple"..  :D and has some nice background music. I think this is still available on PS4 and its converted by Hamster. They have even emulated the slowdown of the original and added scanline emulation.

That's a good choice. I'd also say old stuff is more gateway tier:

Gunhed / Super Star Soldier / Final Soldier

Aleste 

Raiden

Image Fight

Basically, stuff that isn't bullet hell and has a more natural difficulty curve. Someone more into verts can probably come up with a more definitive list - i'm a hori man :)

As for modern ones, ZeroRanger is great but definitely intermediate-to-hard, so maybe leave that for a few years!

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Rsdio said:

I'm not going to write off the genre as a whole based on just that game, but I think that, overall, shooters, with their focus on repeating the same levels again and again for higher and higher scores, don't really suit my style of play, plus they require a time commitment to get good at, which I don't really have at the moment. 

I've still got Danmaku Unlimited 3 on my To Play pile, and I recently completed Nex Machina, which I enjoyed, although I wasn't prepared to constantly replay it to improve my score again and again. I tend to prefer games that I can complete and then move from to the next game. I'm of the PS1 and home console generation, only really getting into gaming in the late 90s, when arcades were on their way out, so that's had a big influence on my preferred style of game.

• Upvote 1

A bit of a Vita clearout, having so many games even on the 32GB card is daunting so time for a cull of anything that wasn't worth being in the list.

Arc the Lad (PSX, on Vita)

I don't even know why I bought this, I'd already completed it years ago on Playstation (as part of the epic Working Designs Arc the Lad Collection) and even then was known to be hugely inferior to Arc 2 anyway. Because it was cheap and short? Probably. I'd started it off and decided to finish it off on holiday a few weeks back only to spend a frustrating half hour or so trying to work out where I was, what I was doing, where I was supposed to be going. Got something like 3 continents unlocked, and 3 or 4 visitable areas in each. Such area might be a little town area, or just a battlefield (it's an SRPG largely) and you don't know 'til you enter that area. Couldn't remember which was which. Going between continents also requires a godawful walk to an airship at the port, meaning it's a tedious minute or two to go from one to another, for no reason. Couldn't find where I was in a FAQ. Picked a place at random, and ended up going down into a dungeon which after about 5 floors was probably bottomless and I'd forgotten. To get out, I had to go back up each floor one by one. Deleted.,

Ys: Memories of Celceta (Vita)

Played through Ys Origin on Vita not so long and it was great. This one is supposed to be great, bought it ages ago but hadn't played and I was still in the mood for this sort of thing. It being more modern really works against it though, the 3D towns and maps become more difficult to navigate on the small screen, the battle system seems great but everything is a bit small and indistinct, I struggle with a lot of Vita games that I think would be better as a big screen experience really. Plus it took bloody ages to get going. Think if I do ever play it, I'll probably have to pick it up on Steam or something. Or maybe it'll come out somewhere besides Japan on PS4, and be cross buy! Deleted.

EDF 2017 Portable (Vita)

Another one that I don't think works on the Vita at all. It was my first foray into EDF, so having the weird jankiness on a tiny screen just made it all look and feel like a complete mess. Given I picked up EDF 4.1 at the back end of last year on PS4 and it seemed like exactly the same game only a billion times better because you could at least almost be able to see the madness, there's no point ever playing this again. Deleted.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Treble said:

That's a good choice. I'd also say old stuff is more gateway tier:

Gunhed / Super Star Soldier / Final Soldier

Aleste 

Raiden

Image Fight

Basically, stuff that isn't bullet hell and has a more natural difficulty curve. Someone more into verts can probably come up with a more definitive list - i'm a hori man :)

As for modern ones, ZeroRanger is great but definitely intermediate-to-hard, so maybe leave that for a few years!

Funny thing semantics at times... so shmup  is short for shoot 'em ups - which implies that is for vertical scrollers. I use the term for every type of 2D shooter! :) 

Hori man myself TBH although do like a bit of Space Invaders, Galaxian, Terra Cresta and Raiden. Have plated both Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga on 360 and Gamecube.. Interesting games but just find them a bit heavy going. Think playing on a pad or the little sticks on a Switch doesn't help with these games though. I expect a proper stick might make things a bit easier perhaps.

• Empathy 1

The Messenger (Switch)

I gritted my teeth, swore relentlessly and punched my thigh black and blue out of frustration through five hours of this, not especially enjoying myself but persevering anyway, only for the game to mug me off fantastically by revealing that what I was led to believe was the final boss was in fact nothing of the sort and that I'd actually have to play through the same bastard hard levels again for another five hours, tracking down arbitrarily-hidden secrets and killing the same respawning enemies before I could see the credits, so it can fuck right off.

The music was catchy and some of the bosses were enjoyably challenging, but overall I found this annoying and not very fun to play. The entire time I felt like it was me vs the game in a war of attrition to get to the next checkpoint, and it wasn't too long before I was resenting it rather than enjoying it. The poor choices and inconsistencies in its design were particularly infuriating, such as fireballs being able to kill you after travelling through both walls and water, or how enemies reappear literally as soon as their spawning location moves out of frame.

I'll be glad to see the back of it.

• Empathy 1

SOMA, Amnesia Trilogy (PS4)

Time to admit that along with Soulsborne games, I don't do horror games any more. Put Soma on for the first time last night and it was just an unpleasant experience. Not for me, just put me way too much on edge! Don't get me wrong, the atmosphere was brilliant, it just isn't for me anymore. I'm getting soft in my old age. Had to put Ni No Kuni 2 back on before I went to bed.....

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

SOMA, Amnesia Trilogy (PS4)

Time to admit that along with Soulsborne games, I don't do horror games any more. Put Soma on for the first time last night and it was just an unpleasant experience. Not for me, just put me way too much on edge! Don't get me wrong, the atmosphere was brilliant, it just isn't for me anymore. I'm getting soft in my old age. Had to put Ni No Kuni 2 back on before I went to bed.....

Isn't there a way to play it in Big Wuss mode where there aren't any monsters?

11 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I think that kind of defeats the object then though (back to the whole artistic vision conversation). Theres too much other stuff I have to play, so I'll pass on this while admiring how much it shit me up in a short space of time.

23 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

10 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

I think that kind of defeats the object then though (back to the whole artistic vision conversation).

There was a PC mod that removed them, so Frictional patched in Safe Mode where they're still there but more passive, retaining the feel and experience of the game really well (apparently, I've not got round to it yet but it's the only way I'll be able to attempt to play it). This explains it:

https://www.indiegamewebsite.com/2018/01/25/soma-safe-mode-review/

I'd read that, but it's not really the monsters, its the atmosphere and keeping you on edge. A quote from that article "It should also be noted that the presence of more passive monsters in no way hampers SOMA’s scare factor.". 

It's just not what I want to play at the moment, luckily it was PS+ so I can always go back and give it another go in the future. As I say, i think the design and atmosphere is superb, just not what I'm looking for in my games at the moment. I like undisturbed sleep too much.

Crypt of the Necrodancer (Switch)

It was probably a mistake starting this after I'd had a few on a Sunday evening, but I found it entirely impenetrable. The tutorial is useless and I've no idea what I'm doing or why I'm doing it. Pressing the attack button only seems to work some of the time. I just keep dying. I made a half-hearted attempt to find out how to play the game using Google but ended up coming across only horribly arcane Wikis instead, so I can't be arsed. Knowing it's a rougelike, I'm not even sure why I bought it. Luckily I think it only cost me three quid.

Next!

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Crypt of the Necrodancer (Switch)

It was probably a mistake starting this after I'd had a few on a Sunday evening, but I found it entirely impenetrable. The tutorial is useless and I've no idea what I'm doing or why I'm doing it. Pressing the attack button only seems to work some of the time. I just keep dying. I made a half-hearted attempt to find out how to play the game using Google but ended up coming across only horribly arcane Wikis instead, so I can't be arsed. Knowing it's a rougelike, I'm not even sure why I bought it. Luckily I think it only cost me three quid.

Next!

You don’t seem to be having any luck finding the right games recently do you Jamie. What about something like Resident Evil? 

1 minute ago, Soulstar said:

You don’t seem to be having any luck finding the right games recently do you Jamie. What about something like Resident Evil? 

Tell me about it! Although part of me quite likes clearing through the dross I've accumulated.

Which Resi are you referring to? 2? It's on my Wanted list. 7 is currently on my shelf, waiting to be played, once I can summon the courage :ph34r:

@Jamie John I just thought with RE being generally quite shorter games and don’t suffer from repetitiveness while being quite fun and oozing atmosphere, you might get into it. I was thinking of the newer ones yeah but I haven’t played these myself either yet. I last played though the HD remaster of Remake on the PS4 about a year or so back and it was excellent. The fact that you can take off tank controls makes it much easier to manouver. I’ve literally not played any of the newer ones beyond Remake, even 4. 

• Upvote 1

Danmaku Unlimited 3 (Switch)

For all the kaledeiscopic spectacle and the sheer amount of stuff happening simultaneously on the screen, this ultimately is the gaming equivalent to one of these hateful bloody things:

1f19d6ae4f5b476f9af3087da532f319--toys--

I spent the entire time holding down the shoot button, not actually looking at what I was shooting at but keeping my eyes fixated on my ship as I moved it very slightly back and forth out of the way of incoming bullets, trying not to make any sudden movements that would cause me to blunder into the path of one. It was just a bit boring, even when I pushed up the difficulty. It felt not so much like a shooter as a 'dodger', or a 'move-out-of-the-way-er'. And the music is godawful. Gave me a headache.:blah:

I think I'm just going to stay away from shooters from now on as I can't seem to find one I really like. Nex Machina was good, but even then I didn't feel motivated to repeatedly replay it for higher scores. What's the best example of a non-arcade shooter, for want of a better term, one with multiple levels that you play to get to the end of, as opposed to one like this or Ikaruga that only has a few stages but which you play again and again for a higher score? I think it's the former that I would prefer.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Danmaku Unlimited 3 (Switch)

For all the kaledeiscopic spectacle and the sheer amount of stuff happening simultaneously on the screen, this ultimately is the gaming equivalent to one of these hateful bloody things:

1f19d6ae4f5b476f9af3087da532f319--toys--

I spent the entire time holding down the shoot button, not actually looking at what I was shooting at but keeping my eyes fixated on my ship as I moved it very slightly back and forth out of the way of incoming bullets, trying not to make any sudden movements that would cause me to blunder into the path of one. It was just a bit boring, even when I pushed up the difficulty. It felt not so much like a shooter as a 'dodger', or a 'move-out-of-the-way-er'. And the music is godawful. Gave me a headache.:blah:

I think I'm just going to stay away from shooters from now on as I can't seem to find one I really like. Nex Machina was good, but even then I didn't feel motivated to repeatedly replay it for higher scores. What's the best example of a non-arcade shooter, for want of a better term, one with multiple levels that you play to get to the end of, as opposed to one like this or Ikaruga that only has a few stages but which you play again and again for a higher score? I think it's the former that I would prefer.

Have you tried Space Invaders?

• Downvote 1

Red Dead 2. Every time I go back to try it I’m just bored and I end up doing something else. I haven’t played long enough to get out of the snowy area, I’ll try again in a few months.

• Empathy 2

Loco Roco (PSP, on Vita)

Lovely, charming, cute. Tedious, boring, deleted. The challenge, if there is any, seems to be going back and doing levels to find all the stuff in them, but given it's pretty much inconsequential and thoroughly unexciting to do so I feel like I'm wasting my time for nothing. And given this pastime literally is about wasting time for nothing, I don't need explicitly reminding of it and would rather have fun doing it.

Loco Roco 2 (PSP, on Vita)

See above.

• Empathy 2

The Witcher 3. I just don't have the time or inclination for a game that massive. I've tried to start it 3 or 4 times and every time I just stop playing because it seems like a LOT of effort to wrap my head around everything that's going on.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

The Witcher 3. I just don't have the time or inclination for a game that massive. I've tried to start it 3 or 4 times and every time I just stop playing because it seems like a LOT of effort to wrap my head around everything that's going on.

I was like that but this time it's clicked, and the systems are not that complex once you get stuck in. I really like the 'craft alchemy stuff once, you have it forever' ethos, and I've settled on a build that suits me (mainly combat with a bit of signs thrown in). But it is a big time investment, and I have plenty of that at the moment so it's a good fit. After a run of JRPGs this is a nice change, but I'll be back on Tales of Vesperia or Neptunia 4 Goddesses next for a more lighthearted experience.

Not a complete list (I haven't kept one) but a few more (thankfully all physical releases) I gave up on:

Knack 2 (PS4) - Abandoned around half way through. It's better than the original, but it's still not very good. It's caught in the middle between whether it wants to be a 3D platform adventure or an action game, neither of which it does well. In addition Knack has to be one of the most unlikeable protagonists since Busby.

Heavy Rain (PS4) - I actually bought this back in the day on the PS3, and I never left the house you start the game in. Same again. I didn't leave the house. Controls are horrid, and having started this straight after completing Beyond Two Souls (which I thought was complete rubbish) the clunkiness combined with the slow pacing wasn't what I was looking for.

Gravel (PS4) - On paper this sounds great. An arcade rally game evoking the nostalgia of Sega Rally. Unfortunately the presentation is awful. It's presented as a Saturday afternoon Channel 5 TV highlights programme. Plus most of the races aren't rally but indoor and dirt nonsense. It didn't do anything for me. Fortunately I received more in trade in credit from GAME than I spent buying a new copy from them. So not a complete loss.

Resident Evil 7 (PS4) - I really should read some reviews or impressions before buying games. I bought this and was then surprised that it was all in first person. I don't do first person games at the best of times. I rarely like horror, but thought the Resident Evil 2 remake was great. I found this way too unnerving for me.

Attack on Titan 2 (PS4) - I've never watched the anime, but taking down naked giants is a bit too weird for me.

Fire Pro Wrestling World (PS4) - I haven't managed to get into a wrestling game since the PS1/N64 days. Being a massive fan of wrestling back then probably helped, plus the games were very good. This was ok, but the fights go on too long and like with most fighting games after a couple rounds I'm bored and would rather play something else.

Valkyria Chronicles (PS4) - For some reason I just can't get along with this. The turn based with real time elements battle system serves to frustrate. A shame as I like strategy games and the setting is great.

Dynasty Warriors 9 (Xbox One) - A completely open world Dynasty Warriors. Sounds good on paper. In practice I didn't have a clue what was going on. I just had loads of icons telling me I could do stuff, without really knowing where and why. Then I'd run off following some arrows, collect some herbs or beat up an army without knowing why I was doing it. Maybe there's a good game in there, but not for me. Plus, graphically this is a mess.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (Xbox One) - I fell for the hype and then found this far too hard for my gaming skills. Maybe if I had bags of patience I could grow to love it, but I don't. A shame as the setting would normally be right up my street.

• Upvote 2

Nier Automata - after a very cool opening, this quickly became dull. 5 hours in and I'm done. The combat is joyless, and on top of that completely unbalanced. On Normal, it's almost impossible to die if you have healing items (and you can have almost 300 of them), whereas on Hard you're comically brittle. I usually play these games on Hard but I just don't find the combat fun enough to put up with it. A huge disappointment considering it's by Platinum. I'm told there is a great story there which subverts expectation, but if I'm not enjoying the core combat I'm never going to see it. I also found the controls slightly floaty and awkward and the camera the worst I've seen in a while.

• Upvote 2

@Timmo

Nier:Automata is the best ever boring game I've played. The combat gets harder but then you get various chips to constantly refill your health and the like, and then you'll still find some absurd difficulty spike that you brute force by hammering consumables every five seconds. Dull, repetitive gameplay, drab, illogical, unreadable open world and abysmal map.

Also some of the greatest story and character and dialogue elements ever in the medium. Some of the things it does later on really blew me away, made me laugh, made me think and genuinely made me cry. Fucking hell, that sounds like something from I, Partridge but I mean it. 

• Upvote 5

Ascendance - Xbox One

Started off really enjoying this and played through the first world. However collecting orb 3 on world 2 I managed to get stuck in the scenery and had to reset the game. When I restarted, the scenery that renders after you collect the orb had disappeared, and despite reboots, reinstalls etc, it won't pop up, meaning I'm stuck. It was only a fiver so not the end of the world, but still  disappointing.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Stanshall said:

@Timmo

Nier:Automata is the best ever boring game I've played. The combat gets harder but then you get various chips to constantly refill your health and the like, and then you'll still find some absurd difficulty spike that you brute force by hammering consumables every five seconds. Dull, repetitive gameplay, drab, illogical, unreadable open world and abysmal map.

Also some of the greatest story and character and dialogue elements ever in the medium. Some of the things it does later on really blew me away, made me laugh, made me think and genuinely made me cry. Fucking hell, that sounds like something from I, Partridge but I mean it. 

Haha, this is great. I used to call it the best game I'd never recommend to anyone else. (Well, since the first Nier anyway)

I'm dreadful at giving up games and books I'm not enjoying to the point where more than once I've deleted Kindle books (properly, from my account), then the next day felt so much remorse that I've then downloaded a shady version just to spend several more hours reading something disappointing. I'm a fucking moron basically. Anyway, it's taken me 38 years to figure out the best way to do it is to just spoil the ending using Wikipedia and now I'm free. Hurrah!

This is a long-winded way of getting to the point which is I've just binned Stein's;Gate Elite on Switch. I though my love of Ace Attorney and 999/VLR meant I liked visual novels but this is hardcore, there's so little to do but just watch it and occasionally reply to an email that often makes no sense. It's astonishingly slow-moving, labours every point it makes and everyone in it is a cunt too. Not for me. I just wish I'd read the plot synopsis 15 hours earlier.

• Upvote 3

Red Dead Redemption. Fourth attempt. Cant even complete the second camp area. 

Beautiful game and genuinely impressed by what they achieved however I just cant get past the controls no matter how I adjust them and try to get some muscle memory. 

I think I'll delete it this time. Seeing its icon on my dashboard just makes me feel bad.

• Empathy 2