Stanshall

Abandoned Games (2019)

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Dead Cells

The bosses killed my enjoyment of this. Spending 30-40 minutes on a run, only to get destroyed in about 30 seconds by a boss with screen-filling attacks and a huge health bar, and then having to start all over again, isn't fun, especially when it happens three times in a row against the same boss. I don't know why the developers decided to have the bosses respawn; I think the game would be a lot more enjoyable if you only had to fight them once, like in Souls.

It's a shame, as most other aspects of the game I enjoyed - the combat and traversal has a great rhythm to it, and the whole thing is very slick. If I had a bit more time (and patience) I'd probably stick to it as far as the credits, but as it is I can't be arsed. I haven't really played that many, but in my experience rouguelikes can either be fantastic (Spelunky, Downwell) or too frustrating to bother with (Enter the Gungeon, this), and seeing as they typically take a fairly big time investment to see through to the end, if they don't get it bang on then I end up abandoning them.

I think Dead Cells is one of the most overrated games in years.

• Downvote 1

Guns, Gore and Cannoli (Switch)

Was enjoying this as something fairly easy to just pick up and go with... until I reached what appears to be a nightmare of a difficulty spike. You can change the difficulty mid game which is great, but doesn't seem to have any real effect!

At times it feels that the controls punish you once you have more than a couple of enemies attacking you. I spent a good hour or so battling it (which actually involved turning off the Switch and having to calm down!). Going back to it again with a fresh head didn't make any difference, so uninstalled so it doesn't keep looking at me on the software page. I don't like to give up but I'd rather not risk smashing the Switch because of it!

Final Fantasy 13 (360)

I might give this another try later this year. I love most of the FInal Fantasy games and being forced into a big corridor before the game opens up doesn't bother me. (If you approach Final Fantasy 10 as if it's Journey to the West then you can accept that movement wise for the first part Monkey doesn't get to call the shots, Tripitaka does.)

The world looked somewhat interesting but now I'm stuck partway through this corridor. And it's a literal corridor with a big shitty bossfight at the end. A boss fight that takes ages to get going. Every time I fail at this thing I lose 30 minutes of my life.

Nope. I'm done for now.

• Upvote 1

This post is probably not going to go down well but :-

Hollow Knight and Axiom Verge.  Guess I just don't like metroidvanias all that much.  I like to feel that I'm making progress in a game.

Witcher 3 I'm also getting close to abandoning it.  Just too big for me to get my head round and it's the same problem I have with these open type games.  Feels like it's more of an interactive movie than a game if that makes sense.  I enjoy it but just lose track of why I'm doing what I'm doing.  Guess I prefer something a little more action based.  Will keep plugging away at it for now.

With Axiom Verge it's worth looking up a video or faq "stuck in Axiom Verge." There's one bit using the glitch gun which is incredibly random but needed to progress. A rare mistep. I bounced off the game twice before it gripped me.

• Upvote 1

On 06/01/2019 at 20:49, Gord said:

Fallout 4 -  not really abandoned as I've played for more than 100 hrs across multiple plays but never managed to finish the story. I can easily see myself sinking hours and hours more to the exclusion of all else but im not sure I'm actually enjoying it that much anymore so I think it's time to close the book on this one.

i reinstalled it, played for another 20 he's and now I'm giving it away in the bargains thread. save me from this game someone.

7 hours ago, Gord said:

i reinstalled it, played for another 20 he's and now I'm giving it away in the bargains thread. save me from this game someone.

I played through a couple of the endings but even then found it so compulsive that I had to uninstall it in order to stop playing through another hundred hours.

14 hours ago, Timmo said:

It’s interesting because I generally hate games like this. I bought it slightly reluctantly after buying a few things and not getting on with them. It’s my game of the year and I’ve ploughed more hours into it than anything else. Playing it at the same time as RDR2 highlighted for me how little I was enjoying that game mechanically. But I still see a lot of people really disliking it - seems like a proper marmite game.

I didn't completely despise Dead Cells by any means - it was just the bosses that I had issues with, but unfortunately the fact that the game repeatedly forces you to confront them was enough to stop me from playing.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (Switch)

I could have kept going with it but it was just a bit naff really and I've got too many other games I'd rather be playing. It's sort of like a Metroidvania, but as opposed to having one map that you gradually uncover more of as the game goes on, it's presented as half a dozen or so discrete stages, like in a platformer, that you're forced to replay to uncover secrets, which necessitates pushing through the same areas and the same enemies repeatedly with very few shortcuts. The combat is rudimentary, as is the platforming, and the whole thing is just a bit dull. I played up until the bit where I was told I needed to revisit a world I'd been through three times already to find 5 things so I could get the thing that would allow me to get to the other thing and I'd had enough.

• Upvote 1

Rogue Aces (Switch)

Another day, another abandoned eshop game that I didn't need to buy but did anyway because it was in the sale. The actual plane flying in this is fluid, and the dogfights are enjoyable. The sprites are nice and punchy, too, so it's a shame that the design of the whole thing is so dull and repetitive. Every procedurally-generated mission, regardless of what mode you're in, has you destroying a certain number of certain things, making you return to base to restock your pathetic stock of bombs and missiles each time you use them up, which you will do at least twice per minute...and that's it - from the two or so hours I've spend with the game, that's literally all I've done.

Once again, this is another example of a game that thinks that its 'roguelite' features, randomisation and procedural-generation will be enough to stop its fundamentally uninspired design from being noticed. They don't.

Got Axiom Verge for free from the Epic store. Played it up to the first boss using a PS4 controller and can't be arsed to go back to it. There doesn't seem to be any obvious strategy for the first boss except dodge and shoot it over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. It's a test of patience not skill, and I don't have the time. And the controls seem a bit crappy - I can't (and can't be bothered to) figure out how the aim lock works. It seems to lock the gun direction for as long as you are moving in a single direction, but if you change movement direction the gun direction resets or something. 

• Upvote 1

Metal Gear Solid 5.  I played the first part which was decent and so continued with the second part. I rescued some bloke, gave him back his sunglasses and used Epona to leg it back to a landing zone while outrunning some sort of ghostly demon things. 

All of a sudden I was jettisoned onto an oil rig where I have to send people into the sky via hot air balloons to craft boxes or something. It seems to have morphed into some sort of RPG thing, not sure why. Just give me levels where I need to creep around and steal something, please. 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom. 

A bit gutted about this given the max praise here, but I found it charmless and annoying with no sense of meaningful exploitation. And the music is hideous. 

• Upvote 1

On 26/01/2019 at 17:36, Timmo said:

It's quite morish for a while then you realise the levels have nothing of note and you're entirely dependent upon RNG to determine if you'll do ok. 

1 hour ago, the_debaser said:

Metal Gear Solid 5.  I played the first part which was decent and so continued with the second part. I rescued some bloke, gave him back his sunglasses and used Epona to leg it back to a landing zone while outrunning some sort of ghostly demon things. 

All of a sudden I was jettisoned onto an oil rig where I have to send people into the sky via hot air balloons to craft boxes or something. It seems to have morphed into some sort of RPG thing, not sure why. Just give me levels where I need to creep around and steal something, please. 

Stick with it. Once you're out doing the missions, you'll be doing exactly what you want to be doing. This game excels at sneaking fun. Plus you won't want to miss when it rains.

Quiet, no one tell him. ;)

Warriors All-Stars (PS4) - Koei and Tecmo's favourite franchises combine in a cheap cash in. I only recognised William from Nioh, Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden and a couple of the girls from Dead or Alive. Their other franchises are well a bit niche. It's ok, but coming so soon after I played Berserk, another Musou was a bit much. So this was traded in and thus abandoned.

59 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Stick with it. Once you're out doing the missions, you'll be doing exactly what you want to be doing. This game excels at sneaking fun. Plus you won't want to miss when it rains.

Quiet, no one tell him. ;)

Ok cool. Is there an unabandoned games thread anywhere?

Minecraft (Switch)

I've not abandoned it as such but I'm not exactly pining to get back to it. Firstly going from mouse and keyboard to controller is a right pain, doing any kind of crafting feels really clunky, I end up with a load of stuff I don't need. Also this game has changed so much since I played it last about 3 years ago. I originally played it in alpha, September 2010, and obviously they've added tons. Things like villagers and pets feel like they're fun ideas but add needless complexity, for me anyway. Once again I'm getting impatient in my old age, not allowing the game to grow, wanting to just get it. And it doesn't feel like the relaxing game I used to enjoy on PC either. Not a bad game, far from it.

Red Dead 2

I started this and was completely enamoured but then decided I should save it for my time off over Xmas. I tried to pick it up again but everything was such a chore that I gave up. I think I need to just start over again and devote all my gaming time to it which likely won’t happen till later this year considering the games due to come out in the next month or so.