Sign in to follow this  
Jamie John

Things that all games should have

Screen size settings. My old Sony LCD and PS4 don't play nicely together and I lose a fair bit of the screen due to overscan.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, stefcha said:

A good explanation or recap somewhere of where you've played up to and where you should be heading next if you've been away from the game for weeks/months/years.

Good: Dragon Quest XI

If you’re going to offer subtitles, make sure that they’re legible and that the colour doesn’t get lost on what’s on screen. 

The option to change difficulty once the game has begun. 

The ability to opt-out of protection missions and QTE events.

Intuitive menu systems. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, 5R7 said:

completely redefinable controls!

Yes, please let me remap sprint from X to R1 in RDR2 like you can in GTA. That way you can sprint while moving the camera. 

Also, have sprint be a hold feature. I have RSI now. 

The ability to skip a level, mission or boss if I'm finding it to difficult. I paid for the game and the alternative is I'll probably just give up and move onto something else. Few of us have the time any more to devote solely to trying to get past a particularly difficult spike of gameplay. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

Yes, please let me remap sprint from X to R1 in RDR2 like you can in GTA. That way you can sprint while moving the camera. 

Also, have sprint be a hold feature. I have RSI now. 

You can remap sprint to left-click stick though in RDR2. 

7 hours ago, Camel said:

Screen size settings. My old Sony LCD and PS4 don't play nicely together and I lose a fair bit of the screen due to overscan.

This should be a console-level setting. Absolutely no reason it needs to be set for every game.

Life is Strange: BTS and Captain Spirit are broken on my TV because of overscan - all the GUI is missing so you can't see prompts or your inventory. Same issue with the original LiS, but they patched that with an option - never did with the other two games. I'm slightly put off LiS2 as I don't know if they have the option. Without it it's somewhat difficult!

8 hours ago, Jamie John said:

The ability to pause at any time

Because of this I tend to press the Home button to pause now, instead of Start/Pause/+/whatever.

• Upvote 1

There should be a mode where you can just watch the game play itself, start to end. 

Every game should have an easy mode which a child of three could complete. Imagine how much better Dark Souls wold be with this. 

Every cut scene, intro, any non interactive scene should be skippable from the very first time you load a game. I hate games which don’t respect my time. 

All controls should be able ti be fully remapped. 

All games should allow you to play without needing to download the latest updates. 

All games should have cloud based saves. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, deKay said:

Because of this I tend to press the Home button to pause now, instead of Start/Pause/+/whatever.

Unfortunately doesn't work for some games.

Just now, Hitcher said:

Unfortunately doesn't work for some games.

They block access to the home menu? Surely they can't do that?

6 minutes ago, deKay said:

This should be a console-level setting. Absolutely no reason it needs to be set for every game.

I think this applies to a lot of the suggestions in this thread.

The Switch parental controls does play time well, if you turn it on for example.

Pausing at any time would be nice, but better is the Switch sleep mode at any time, ironically, except in the pause any time game, Dark Souls, which kicks you out if you use it since it disconnects for the net.

I'd like the ability to fast forward, skip, or disable any intro screens, making every game like SNES F-Zero. I don't need to be told what uses Havoc, who developed it, what compression the audio used, who published it each and every time I play it.

Agree with everybody saying let me skip the intro's or cutscenes - I don't care if you went to film school and are £100k in debt because you wanted to make big screen feature films - I've bought a game and want to press buttons to make stuff happen, not watch some shonky cut scene with waxwork people with odd hair talking cliches. 

In that vain don't start games with loads of exposition, get me pressing buttons and doing stuff with a few seconds of booting up.

Instant restarts in any games where death is a possibility, don't make me watch a loading screen for 30s or more every time I balls up.

The ability to kill the music but not the game sounds (mostly a problem on phone games I've noticed, first thing I do on almost every game is kill the music)

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Freeman said:

don't need to be told what uses Havoc, who developed it, what compression the audio used, who published it each and every time I play it.

Ah, but you do. It’s in the licence agreement between the devs and the middleware. Sadly.

• Empathy 1

Just now, Gizamaluke said:

The game just keeps running in the background.

Yep, as I found out playing Dark Souls on the Switch when I backed out to the home screen for two minutes and found that I'd been killed when I came back. The only way to properly 'pause' that game was to go into sleep mode.

Another one: the ability to hold down buttons instead of tapping them during QTEs

Good: God of War

Bad: The stupid bloody torture scene in Metal Gear Solid that almost broke my controller from having to mash X so much!

Every game should have an easy mode which a child of three could complete. Imagine how much better Dark Souls wold be with this.

Get out of my thread.

10 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

I didn’t think that was even possible. But then I suppose for online games it’d need to be.

I don’t play those, partly because you can’t pause.

19 minutes ago, deKay said:

They block access to the home menu? Surely they can't do that?

14 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

^This.

Happened to me the other day while playing Mutant Year Zero - my son came in to talk to me so I hit the Home button but the game's cutscene just played on in the background.

Screenshake toggle/slider
fov slider (for first/third person stuff)
vsync on/off

refresh rate select
Manual framerate cap
raw mouse input toggle
redefinable keys/buttons for everything and also the ability to split actions to separate buttons (for example "tap to fart", "hold to shit")

autofire options where it makes sense.
"Arcade mode" option to skip all cutscenes/guff

• Upvote 1