rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Sarlaccfood

Your favourite film of 2018?

Simple enough question I guess. What’s your favourite movie from last year?

I must confess I’m being a bit selfish here as I’ve been unable to go to the cinema since the summer (baby) so really I’m looking for what to catch up on.

I’ve still got quite a few 2018 releases to enjoy but from what I’ve watched I love the MCU so Avengers Infinity War.

First Reformed. Ethan Hawke gives a career best performance and while it borrows its crisis of faith narrative from Bergman and Bresson, Schrader uses global warming to give it a fresh take. It's an apocalypse that's truly terrifying because it's real and is going to happen in the next couple of decades. It's sometimes a little on the nose with its call to action to save our planet but, well, we're pretty much past the point of being subtle about it. It needs to be screamed in our faces over and over again. It's also a very beautiful film and makes fantastic use of the Academy ratio.

• Upvote 1

On 05/01/2019 at 00:02, Stigweard said:

Infinity War. Watched it 4 times in 2018.

Someone was watching it on front of me on the plane and I realised I knew every line of dialogue.

• Upvote 1

On 04/01/2019 at 19:39, Fitzcarraldo said:

First Reformed. Ethan Hawke gives a career best performance and while it borrows its crisis of faith narrative from Bergman and Bresson, Schrader uses global warming to give it a fresh take. It's an apocalypse that's truly terrifying because it's real and is going to happen in the next couple of decades. It's sometimes a little on the nose with its call to action to save our planet but, well, we're pretty much past the point of being subtle about it. It needs to be screamed in our faces over and over again. It's also a very beautiful film and makes fantastic use of the Academy ratio.

When I read this I checked out the trailer, after 1 minute I stopped it and thought 'Yep, that looks like my type of film.' Watched it tonight, what an incredible piece of work. Thanks! 

• Upvote 1

If you like early John Carpenter films (especially The Fog) and Nicholas Cage being deranged, 70s rock album cover art and Bill Duke, then I’d recommend Mandy. 

Also shout out to Annihalation for being much better than the usual Netflix movie offerings. Spider-Verse for reminding me of the power and potential of animation to surprise and shake things up. Infinity War for nailing part one of the landing of a really enjoyable ten year journey with Marvel’s characters.

• Upvote 3