IGNORED

PS2 Appreciation Thread

Fallows

2 hours ago, SeanR said:

or in my case, only has one component input, while I have 2 5-port HDMI switches, 4 HDMI ports on the telly, and 12 consoles. I think the wii is connected via component at the moment. 

it is merely convenience.

I'll switch back to RGB SCART (and 2x 6-SCART switches) when I get my OSSC.

I've got a couple of component switchers sitting around, came in the big job lot, I've no use for them, you're welcome to one for the cost of shipping :)

49 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

I've got a couple of component switchers sitting around, came in the big job lot, I've no use for them, you're welcome to one for the cost of shipping :)

you have pm.

Now I have HDLoader installed on a HDD for my PS2, I can finally finish Dynasty Warriors 2 about 20 years after I last played it. My disk managed to get a tiny little scuff on it that stopped me from loading one particular level right near the end. With HDLoader, I can use my old school Plextor 712A to coax the data out of the disc far better than a PS2 drive is going to do so and finally reload my save game from all those years ago and finish it! I'm strangely excited about this :blush:

11 minutes ago, phillv85 said:

Now I have HDLoader installed on a HDD for my PS2, I can finally finish Dynasty Warriors 2 about 20 years after I last played it. My disk managed to get a tiny little scuff on it that stopped me from loading one particular level right near the end. With HDLoader, I can use my old school Plextor 712A to coax the data out of the disc far better than a PS2 drive is going to do so and finally reload my save game from all those years ago and finish it! I'm strangely excited about this :blush:

lol, or you could have sent me the disc and I'd have buffed it out for you :)

Haha thanks, I’ll keep that in mind in future. To be fair, I’ve not thought about the game for about 20 years. I was just going through my old memory cards last night and saw the DW2 data sat there.

• 2 months later...

Dug out my phat PS2 and updated the games on the internal HDD. They've recently (January 2021) released a new stable version of OPL HD Loader (V1, as opposed to v0.93 from years ago). I have not trawled the topic - might have been mentioned.

I've been playing Evergrace.

How did I miss? Janky as hell action-RPG that's batshit crazy. Weird voice sampled soundtrack, shells growing out of the ground, rats made of melons, two characters, incomprehensible dialogue, super deep clothing system, no EXP for levelling, so much strangeness.

Also: it's by From Software and is basically a prototype Demon's Souls with bright garish colours.

I love it.

Also, one type of armour is a bird's nest with chicks in hit.

YOU LITERALLY WEAR A BIRD NEST ON YOUR HEAD

On 06/06/2021 at 14:42, Sketch said:

Dug out my phat PS2 and updated the games on the internal HDD. They've recently (January 2021) released a new stable version of OPL HD Loader (V1, as opposed to v0.93 from years ago). I have not trawled the topic - might have been mentioned.

I've been playing Evergrace.

How did I miss? Janky as hell action-RPG that's batshit crazy. Weird voice sampled soundtrack, shells growing out of the ground, rats made of melons, two characters, incomprehensible dialogue, super deep clothing system, no EXP for levelling, so much strangeness.

Also: it's by From Software and is basically a prototype Demon's Souls with bright garish colours.

I love it.

Also, one type of armour is a bird's nest with chicks in hit.

YOU LITERALLY WEAR A BIRD NEST ON YOUR HEAD

Damn. I think I just gave this to a charity shop as part of a clear out! I picked it up 10+ years ago, played it briefly and then never looked at it again.

• 1 month later...

PS2 emulation then; are the Retroarch cores good enough versus using something like PCSX2? It's mainly because I'll be playing RPGs and the fast forward function in Retroarch is ever so helpful for the grind and whilst I know PCSX2 has a turbo mode, I just can't get it to work at all (same question for ePSXE and PS1 games too.)

• 2 months later...

I just checked out PCSX2 for the first time. I've never looked into it before, but it's simply going to be a better way of playing the PS2 games I own/owned than using a cheap HDMI converter with a real PS2.

I was quite surprised that the image quality is not a direct pixel-perfect image. Every other emulator - including emulators for Dreamcast and Gamecube - give you a pixel-perfect video image. However, PCSX2 emulates the interlacing of a PS2 and then deinterlaces it, and the results are quite blurry, ghosty and jittery. You can get it looking better than real hardware - and certainly better than cheap HDMI converters - but I just didn't expect an emulator to look like that. You can increase the resolution of the 3D geometry, but results are a bit vague -- it always looks kind of blurry, jittery and 720p-ish.

The main programmer of the emulator says it's because PS2 game developers often did clever things with the video output and manipulated the interlacing to produce graphical effects or make the games run better. Dreamcast and Gamecube games hardly ever did this, so those emulators can simply force the games to run progressively and serve you a pixel-perfect video output. But PCSX2 has to emulate the interlacing, and then deinterlace it with bob/blend/etc.

Anybody found a way to get good results?

Nearly all discussion of this emulator talks about plugins, but I'm using the 1.7.0 version where they got rid of plugins, so a lot of advice and discussion is outdated.

25 minutes ago, SqueakyG said:

I just checked out PCSX2 for the first time. I've never looked into it before, but it's simply going to be a better way of playing the PS2 games I own/owned than using a cheap HDMI converter with a real PS2.

I was quite surprised that the image quality is not a direct pixel-perfect image. Every other emulator - including emulators for Dreamcast and Gamecube - give you a pixel-perfect video image. However, PCSX2 emulates the interlacing of a PS2 and then deinterlaces it, and the results are quite blurry, ghosty and jittery. You can get it looking better than real hardware - and certainly better than cheap HDMI converters - but I just didn't expect an emulator to look like that. You can increase the resolution of the 3D geometry, but results are a bit vague -- it always looks kind of blurry, jittery and 720p-ish.

The main programmer of the emulator says it's because PS2 game developers often did clever things with the video output and manipulated the interlacing to produce graphical effects or make the games run better. Dreamcast and Gamecube games hardly ever did this, so those emulators can simply force the games to run progressively and serve you a pixel-perfect video output. But PCSX2 has to emulate the interlacing, and then deinterlace it with bob/blend/etc.

Anybody found a way to get good results?

Nearly all discussion of this emulator talks about plugins, but I'm using the 1.7.0 version where they got rid of plugins, so a lot of advice and discussion is outdated.

All I can say is I gave up on PS2 with ossc , the results were consistently shite. Had more luck with emulator as far as I can recall.

Best pic I got from the PS2 was from a PS2 to GBS8220 with component in then VGA out to a CRT, I tried it with a native Philips 640x480 panel but it didn't look as good. 

On 14/10/2021 at 18:23, bplus said:

All I can say is I gave up on PS2 with ossc , the results were consistently shite. Had more luck with emulator as far as I can recall.

The solution I've found, with the PS2 and ossc, is to use Open PS2 Loader, which allows you to force video modes with it's built in GSM. Then I try either 240p, 480p or 1080i. The most consistent is 1080i, as a lot of games don't like being forces into progressive, and usually fail on the attempting to run FMV. But 1080i works quite well, as (I think) the ossc just passes it through to your tv, which can usually de-interlace 1080i content (unlike 480i). 

1 hour ago, Tomdominer said:

The solution I've found, with the PS2 and ossc, is to use Open PS2 Loader, which allows you to force video modes with it's built in GSM. Then I try either 240p, 480p or 1080i. The most consistent is 1080i, as a lot of games don't like being forces into progressive, and usually fail on the attempting to run FMV. But 1080i works quite well, as (I think) the ossc just passes it through to your tv, which can usually de-interlace 1080i content (unlike 480i). 

Bizarrely I think that's what I ended up doing too! Very fiddly though and felt like a waste of an ossc

My PS2 slim lid has finally caved in, always had a problem with it reading the odd disc but I'm going to try soldering it later to get it going. Been watching some YT footage of putting a dollop of solder on some pins inside so bought a full kit and going to use a few broken boards before I jump into the real thing.

15 hours ago, Tomdominer said:

Yeah. It's the main selling point of the tink for me. Being able to handle interlaced signal with various resolutions without it looking like ass.

Other than PS2 what do you use the tink on? Does it handle composite? Have you tried a nes with it? I'm considering getting my nes rgb modded so that I can use on ossc.

3 hours ago, bplus said:

Other than PS2 what do you use the tink on? Does it handle composite? Have you tried a nes with it? I'm considering getting my nes rgb modded so that I can use on ossc.

Oh, I haven't got one. I have an OSSC that handles pretty much everything else. Snes, N64, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, GameCube. When you start getting into the higher resolutions, and the interlaced signals, then the OSSC isn't the best. 

I also have a frontloaded rgb modded nes. Looks perfect on the OSSC. I assume the tink would be just as good.

Would someone mind checking Densha De Go Shinkansen running from hdd on their PS2 please?

I’m running it from disc and there’s a weird issue that I can’t work out if it only happens when the disc is accessed or if it’s just how the game is. What happens is that at fairly low speeds, the game almost judders between resolutions and it’s really off putting. Just wondered if this happens for anyone else. 

On 18/10/2021 at 16:28, geldra said:

Would someone mind checking Densha De Go Shinkansen running from hdd on their PS2 please?

I’m running it from disc and there’s a weird issue that I can’t work out if it only happens when the disc is accessed or if it’s just how the game is. What happens is that at fairly low speeds, the game almost judders between resolutions and it’s really off putting. Just wondered if this happens for anyone else. 

This happens for me when running that game off HDD. I've always assumed it's something to do with running a Japanese NTSC game on a UK PAL PS2, but I don't know that for sure.

17 hours ago, Zio said:

This happens for me when running that game off HDD. I've always assumed it's something to do with running a Japanese NTSC game on a UK PAL PS2, but I don't know that for sure.

ah so it appears to be the game?  I’m running the game on a Japanese machine so I don’t think it is anything to do with NTSC on PAL. 

Thank you for giving it a go.