PS2 Appreciation Thread

14 hours ago, Pavey said:

I had a query to ask, about the flux capacitor. 

No, it doesn't do actual time travel. Yes, it probably does regulate testosterone in Sony offspring. (maybe, this robot already exists)

I've been playing as many of the earlier From games as I can over the last year or so. It's King's Field IV's turn at the moment, and it's already become one of my most treasured PS2 experiences, a mere five hours in. Some idle thoughts/fun stuff:

-I've just passed through an area housing an enormous temple with many entrances and floors, surrounded by paths that all lead to complex networks of rooms. It's impressively huge, and there are still no loading screens in sight. It feels like a vast expansion of KF2's castle idea, which, along with all the returning attack animations and magic spells, is compounding the vague feeling that it's a kind of loose remake.

-When certain enemies hit you in this one you get knocked off balance and the controls go all over the place for a second. It's a nice effect and heightens the feeling that you're in a real fight with consequences (which is arguably a much-needed injection of contingency and depth for KF combat). Also, it reminds me of those joker power-ups that reverse the directions for a while in older games.

-I realised this has the OG "crestfallen warrior" in its opening village: a guy who feels lousy for letting his group go off fighting without him. He sits on a rock saying things like "I'm such an idiot" and "you can't be anyone important - you wouldn't be here".

-Bastard swords in the PAL version are called "Bugger Blades", there's an ordinary mace called "Ultimate Spike", and there's a hammer called "Fighters' Pounder".

-There's a gloriously well-timed sequence involving your arrival at a new area. Most of the game is murky and drab, but there's a really beautiful bit where, after you've been trudging around this seemingly endless subterranean network of Ghormenghast-esque stone rooms and tunnels, half the time in inky darkness, you emerge into a lush and serene forest. It's a hell of a feat to make such an area feel fresh and exciting again. There's a palpable feeling of coming up for air when you get there.

Don't let the glacial pace and middling reviews put you off (KF was never particularly well received in the mainstream gaming press, but the series has always been excellent) - this is a staggering achievement and essential playing for anyone interested in the PS2's history and its relative obscurities. 

• Upvote 4

Deffo! I think a lot of people could get something out of them with that incentive to put a bit of time into them for community purposes. 

Any controller with four shoulder buttons should be fine for them, btw. They all use the d-pad for movement and the shoulder buttons for head movements and strafing. It's weird at first but you settle into it. 

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Whilst Victoria's experience of the PS2 as that console parents would pick up cheap second-hand along with a box full of shovelware is certainly one that a lot of people under 30 would recognise, they could have found someone who remembers the launch, waited in line for it, or was playing all the classics as they came out. But this story seems to have been sourced from Radio 1 Newsbeat so anyone over 25 is old, yeah? It's like me going on about how amazing punk was as a five year-old. 

• Upvote 2
  • 4 months later...
On 01/04/2019 at 11:09, Fallows said:

It turns out that the OPL which comes with the Free McBoot is very, very old. I updated to the most recent nightly from February this year and all prior issues are now resolved. I don't seem to require HD Loader anymore so I've deleted that.

The problems usually occur when the HDD load is too fast for the game. Setting Mode 1 (authentic read speeds, albeit slower) fixes all of this.

I also remembered that Ferrari F355 Challenge got a PS2 port. Another glorious racer.

Hey man, I have a free mcboot card, but can you perhaps explain how to update it? Do you need to buy a USB to magic gate memory card adaptor? Or can you update via the network card?

3 hours ago, Tomdominer said:

Hey man, I have a free mcboot card, but can you perhaps explain how to update it? Do you need to buy a USB to magic gate memory card adaptor? Or can you update via the network card?

Cricky, I'll have to have a read/think. It's been so long now. I think you can update via. the network, yeah. Will have to confirm that, though.

Re-reading my post it was just OPL which I'd updated. Not free mcboot itself.

I can't even remember how I ended up with free mcboot in the first place. I certainly didn't get it from anyone. My PS2 arrived already able to read burned discs, despite never having the casing removed for a hardware mod.

EDIT: That was it. I'd installed free mcboot via. burned CD-R.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

I’m sure back when I had a fmb setup you can copy the elf from a usb stick straight to the memory card. Possibly via ulaunchelf but my memory fails me. 

Yes that's how I did it. All FreeMCBoot installs have ELFlauncher on there, a file manager, just copy it into the right folder. 

Yeah, I updated it via a USB drive in the end. Does anyone know how to add more options to the mcboot launcher? Can you add the HD launcher it?

Also, @Fallows mentioned that he didn't need to use the HD launcher anymore, but updating it still seems to be a requirement to launch back-ups for me?

16 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

Yeah, I updated it via a USB drive in the end. Does anyone know how to add more options to the mcboot launcher? Can you add the HD launcher it?

Also, @Fallows mentioned that he didn't need to use the HD launcher anymore, but updating it still seems to be a requirement to launch back-ups for me?

It's pretty easy: 

• Upvote 1
38 minutes ago, bplus said:

What emulator is that?

PCSX2 Settings: Renderer: OpenGL (Hardware) Interlacing (F5): Auto Texture Filtering: Bilinear (PS2) Internal Resolution: 6x Native Anisotropic Filtering: 16x Mipmapping: Basic (Fast) CRC Hack Level: Automatic (Default) (✓) Allow 8-Bit Textures (✓) Enable HW Hacks: (✓) Wild Arms Offset TC Offset X: 385 TC Offset Y: 18

• Upvote 1
58 minutes ago, Parappa said:

PCSX2 Settings: Renderer: OpenGL (Hardware) Interlacing (F5): Auto Texture Filtering: Bilinear (PS2) Internal Resolution: 6x Native Anisotropic Filtering: 16x Mipmapping: Basic (Fast) CRC Hack Level: Automatic (Default) (✓) Allow 8-Bit Textures (✓) Enable HW Hacks: (✓) Wild Arms Offset TC Offset X: 385 TC Offset Y: 18

Does look great! I've got it running on an ossc. I'm convinced 3 is the best version of GT , 4 was completely sterile.

Can anyone tell me in gran turismo 3 is there a way to make music play during licenses , also is there a way to adjust music Vs sound effects  volume?

One last random question, is there a way to transplant the pal UK sound track into an NTSC rip of the game on a hard disc? I own the pal disc, but I've got a pirate NTSC version on my hd. I want the 60hz but with pal sound track.

Well. GT3 is more enjoyable, 4 is great but sterile. However, if you adjust the visual settings in 4, you can make it feel more lively. 

Music wise, no idea, it's probably possible. Is 60hz that important? Because the PAL game is optimised well iirc. Full screen and speed. 

5 minutes ago, nakamura said:

Well. GT3 is more enjoyable, 4 is great but sterile. However, if you adjust the visual settings in 4, you can make it feel more lively. 

Music wise, no idea, it's probably possible. Is 60hz that important? Because the PAL game is optimised well iirc. Full screen and speed. 

Yeah you are right, it's full screen and speed, but 50fps instead of 60fps. Actually I probably won't be able to tell the difference!

10 hours ago, bplus said:

I'm convinced 3 is the best version of GT

Undoubtedly. GT3 is the game I have played most in my life, but quite some way. Of all the GT games, it has the best game structure and is the most playable as a result. I recently got a decent wheel and discovered it's even better, because you can be competitive with the CPU cars without resorting to "bringing a gun to a knife fight".

GT4 just didn't have the same feeling to it, not helped by the fact you could virtually complete it without actually driving any races yourself. And 5 & 6 were not only just vanity pieces, but are now literally unplayable since the servers have been shut down.

14 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Undoubtedly. GT3 is the game I have played most in my life, but quite some way. Of all the GT games, it has the best game structure and is the most playable as a result. I recently got a decent wheel and discovered it's even better, because you can be competitive with the CPU cars without resorting to "bringing a gun to a knife fight".

GT4 just didn't have the same feeling to it, not helped by the fact you could virtually complete it without actually driving any races yourself. And 5 & 6 were not only just vanity pieces, but are now literally unplayable since the servers have been shut down.

I remember I kinda ruined gt3 for myself eventually back when I had it back in the day. I had a shit car , upgraded it to about 600bhp (maybe 400 can't recall) it basicall only went in straight lines but won races easily with no skill. Is there a way to sort of know if you are cheating or not? Like someway to know your car is evenly matched to other cars in the race?

What wheel did you get? Force feedback? Possible to get an adapter to use it on later consoles?

Let's break up this GT chat, which is far too exciting, with a deathly dull question about hard drives.

I've had a blast sticking my disc games onto my Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120gb ATA/ 133 HDD using HD Loader. Bought a hard drive enclosure to connect it to me PC and I've only bought a SATA one. Classic gaffe.

Is there a nice ATA->SATA convertor that's small enough to let me fit the thing in the enclosure or do I need to buy an ATA...

...Whazat?!?

Sorry. Drifted off writing my own post there, it's so thrilling.

- Or do I need to buy a ATA enclosure. Can anyone recommend one?

So I looked into this a while back and the end result I found was either buy a 3.5” powered pata caddy or modify/replace your network adapter with a sata one.

I had really hoped to find something like a 3.5 pata to 2.5 sata fake hdd type think but it apparently doesn’t exist. 

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, bplus said:

I remember I kinda ruined gt3 for myself eventually back when I had it back in the day. I had a shit car , upgraded it to about 600bhp (maybe 400 can't recall) it basicall only went in straight lines but won races easily with no skill. Is there a way to sort of know if you are cheating or not? Like someway to know your car is evenly matched to other cars in the race?

What wheel did you get? Force feedback? Possible to get an adapter to use it on later consoles?

Experience, essentially. It was one of the big criticisms leveled at GT3 by Edge - you have to work at getting a decent race. Unlike GT2, there's no HP limit (though you could still game this) or the like, so you have no idea how evenly matched you'll be until you actually race. Generally, as you progress through the divisions, the CPU cars get more and more modified.

I got a Logitech Driving Force GT, which is also PS3 compatible out the box. There's a £90 adapter that you can get that'll make it work on XBone that I'm tempted to get.

7 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Experience, essentially. It was one of the big criticisms leveled at GT3 by Edge - you have to work at getting a decent race. Unlike GT2, there's no HP limit (though you could still game this) or the like, so you have no idea how evenly matched you'll be until you actually race. Generally, as you progress through the divisions, the CPU cars get more and more modified.

I got a Logitech Driving Force GT, which is also PS3 compatible out the box. There's a £90 adapter that you can get that'll make it work on XBone that I'm tempted to get.

If it's PS3 compatible does that mean it will work on a pc too? PS3 was usb ?

Wonder why they didn't bhp limit the races in 3 ?