rllmuk
Fallows

PS2 Appreciation Thread

It turns out that the OPL which comes with the Free McBoot is very, very old. I updated to the most recent nightly from February this year and all prior issues are now resolved. I don't seem to require HD Loader anymore so I've deleted that.

The problems usually occur when the HDD load is too fast for the game. Setting Mode 1 (authentic read speeds, albeit slower) fixes all of this.

I also remembered that Ferrari F355 Challenge got a PS2 port. Another glorious racer.

• Upvote 1

Still have the original PS2 I bought back when GT3- A Spec released (2001?) The red racing pack! :) 

Remember sitting down for the first time after I had set it all up and then gawping at the visuals and sounds coming out of that thing.. GT3 was stunning and that Feeder soundtrack. Still love that track today.

Think the first game I bought was Star Wars Starfighter which I completed. Then Silent Hill 2. That was some game.... still have that too! :) 

Have a cupboard full of PS2 games still and another phat console I picked up cheap in 2006/7.

Not sure what to do with it all. Managed to dig out my network adaptor and found an 80GB IDE PC drive attached to it. Might have a go at modding it but just not sure if I'd actually play with it all if I got it working with todays TVs. 

• Upvote 1

PS2 output sadly looks crap on most modern TVs due to the low number of progressive scan supported games. 

Games like Outrun, God of War and GT4 look pretty great with 480p enabled but anything interlaced can take a nasty hit depending on the quality of your TV. 

4 minutes ago, nakamura said:

PS2 output sadly looks crap on most modern TVs due to the low number of progressive scan supported games. 

Games like Outrun, God of War and GT4 look pretty great with 480p enabled but anything interlaced can take a nasty hit depending on the quality of your TV. 

:( Have a component lead buy alas sub 480p is going to look ugly.

Actually thinking of just ripping my games to .iso files and just running them on a PS2 emulator. I know it won't be 100% but better than nothing. And it won't cost me any money to do. 

Think this will be ideal when I get a nostalgia hit and just want to have a quick blast on some games and lets face emulators only get better. 

I've just connected mine to my Samsung 4K LCD and Ridge V actually looks ok. @MattyP, much better than I expected. Although the quality doesn't touch my PVM, the colours and size are a nice bonus. 

• Upvote 1

I play PS2 on an old Sony LCD via component and while it's not brilliant, it's fine. It helps massively ensuring you're using the right aspect ratio.

• Upvote 2

I'm finally selling my mod-chipped PS2 (slim), having realised I've not played it in years. End of an era, man. :(

Tekken Tag, Ridge V and TimeSplitters at launch - fast framerates but slow loading times.

Finishing with epics like SotC and GTA:SanAn - low framerates but short/seamless loading.

Heck of a library and an all-round brilliant console. My memory cards still have the game titles written on the little labels in biro. Sorry to see it all packed up and gone, but good memories. :)

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

I'm finally selling my mod-chipped PS2 (slim), having realised I've not played it in years. End of an era, man. :(

Tekken Tag, Ridge V and TimeSplitters at launch - fast framerates but slow loading times.

Finishing with epics like SotC and GTA:SanAn - low framerates but short/seamless loading.

Heck of a library and an all-round brilliant console. My memory cards still have the game titles written on the little labels in biro. Sorry to see it all packed up and gone, but good memories. :)

Mine is going too I think. Sadly not played in years either. 

I'm going to put some shooters onto the PC to emulate - I know they won't be perfect but at least it will give me an option to play in future. 

Rest of the games I'm interested have had re-releases on newer consoles so I'll just pick them up if I have a desire to play again. Think there is just too many games out there to enjoy without going back over things that you have and haven't played for years. New mantra is .. If I haven't played it in over a year it goes! :) 

Just picked up a silver phat PS2 and a load of games, and a component cable. It looks better than I expected on an old LCD tv, but is there any way to make it better? There's also a border around the screen, will that just be from using the component cable?

• Upvote 2