PS2 Appreciation Thread

dataDave

6 hours ago, Parappa said:

Very interested in this if you decide to get rid - always wanted one! 

Certainly! It's just in a box doing nothing anyway.

Full disclosure: It does have a sensitive disc tray issue, meaning that it will stay open but will shut at the slightest bit of pressure (so you need to gently hold it open while swapping discs). I have tried to repair this before by trying a few things but, unfortunately, I could never strip it down far enough to get at the disc drawer mechanism and see if it simply needs lubricating. The stripdown videos and pictures I researched for the specific SCPH model showed slightly different innards to what's in this console and so there were bits that I couldn't see how they were screwed-in/attached (I didn't want to break anything!).

It plays any region of PS2 disc but is still locked to PAL for PS1.

Also not compatible with HDD mods (TEST machines have a different version of firmware that blocks booting from the memory card slot from what I have read).

If you are interested, give me a shout via PM and I can sort some pictures out or give you any more info 😃

5 hours ago, erhgiez said:

I’ve got a couple of ‘test’ slim PS2 consoles but I can’t find much on them. They don’t say TEST on them, they look normal, but they have an S at the end of their model numbers, I believe indicating them to be Show models, meaning they were the ones on show at gaming events like E3 etc or the UK equivalent. They are region free and can play backups without modification, although require the backup to be patched to a master disc version. That’s all I could find on them, no idea of value, but cool curios. Even better, their serial numbers are the same bar 1, so they must have been used on the same booth. I think the reason for them was so they could demonstrate prerelease versions of games, and needed CD-R compatibility 

Might be after one of those if there is one going, keep me posted :)

Can’t find anything really online but these are the pics

it looks normal at first, but note the TST in the barcode means Test, and the very low serial. The firmware running on it is where is has the s, denoting the show variant. If anyone knows anything else about it the give me a shout. I have no attachment to them so if there is interest then I’ll look into it but difficult to price.

8A2C10BE-B169-46FE-969E-BBB301F4191C.jpeg

C298A340-65CC-4148-B624-B33D37970901.jpeg

On 30/06/2022 at 13:33, megamixer said:

^^^ Sealed games themselves are an interesting topic. As far as I know, not every single game was released with the official PS2 tear-strip so you can't even say that it must be a reseal if it's missing. There are also a lot of games that were reprinted again, sometimes as black labels, that had fake-looking shrinkwrap and later case designs (the official ones that feel cheaper and lack the memory card slot). I know Konami reprinted a bunch of games such as Neo Contra and the Zone of the Enders games and you can only tell them apart at a distance by the updated traffic-light style PEGI ratings.

Unrelated: I have a small handful of PS2 games that I will be getting rid of from my collection - nothing earth-shattering or uber-rare but decent titles. Just putting it out there in case there is any interest (and I'll list them). Couple of other bits as well including an official DVD playback kit (remote, receiver, disc).

Also a region-free TEST/debug unit that is surplus to requirements.

I'm trying to go 100% HDD with my PS2 gaming now and get rid of most games once I've ripped the discs to iso format (other than a handful that I will keep for collection purposes)

Some PAL games were never sealed (Konami for example often didn’t bother from what I recall).

Please do list what you plan on selling especially if US NTSC versions

19 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Some PAL games were never sealed (Konami for example often didn’t bother from what I recall).

Please do list what you plan on selling especially if US NTSC versions

I have a sealed Haunting Ground with no official tear strip. That doesn't bother me as much as small speck of black dirt sticking out from under the hologram beneath the plastic at the back. I've often wondered if its a hooky "sealed" copy but when sealed for this game is £80-£100 or more, I've never wanted to open it to check.

As for what I'm getting rid of, its nothing amazing or plentiful as of yet. Definitely going though (all PAL and complete):

Gran Turismo 4 (very mint with a proper white case, not a grubby piss-stained one)

Outrun 2006

City Crisis

SOS The Final Escape

Enthusia Professional Racing

Yakuza

Grimgrimoire

Not PS2 but I'll put them here anyway:

GTA Double Pack + San Andreas (xbox)

Tales of Xillia 1 + 2 Day One editions (PS3).

Might be more to come but I'm just undecided about the RPGs and other stuff now. Don't know whether they will continue to rise in value or whether I just want the cash now.

31 minutes ago, megamixer said:

I have a sealed Haunting Ground with no official tear strip. That doesn't bother me as much as small speck of black dirt sticking out from under the hologram beneath the plastic at the back. I've often wondered if its a hooky "sealed" copy but when sealed for this game is £80-£100 or more, I've never wanted to open it to check.

As for what I'm getting rid of, its nothing amazing or plentiful as of yet. Definitely going though (all PAL and complete):

Gran Turismo 4 (very mint with a proper white case, not a grubby piss-stained one)

Outrun 2006

City Crisis

SOS The Final Escape

Yakuza

Grimgrimoire

Not PS2 but I'll put them here anyway:

GTA Double Pack + San Andreas (xbox)

Tales of Xillia 1 + 2 Day One editions (PS3).

Might be more to come but I'm just undecided about the RPGs and other stuff now. Don't know whether they will continue to rise in value or whether I just want the cash now.

If you haven't already please post this in Trading. Shouldn't really be doing any trading in this bit. Cheers.

Just been having a go with MX4SIO and it's sort of alright.

Basically it allows you to load games via a specially adapted memory card. For about £20 off Aliexpress you get the card (SD or microSD options) and a memory card with FreeMcboot on it which contains a special version of OPL. Simply put ISO images onto a FAT32-formatted SD card and away you go.

Well, not quite. Being FAT32 you can't have any images over 4gb, any games that rely on lots of streaming from the disc will run poorly, and of the ISOs I tried half of them weren't recognised.

It's good compared to loading via the PS2's USB 1.1, but nowhere near as good as a hard drive. It might be worth a punt for games that aren't too demanding though.

On 02/07/2022 at 16:43, megamixer said:

Back in the day we were having a quiet one at my Gamestation store; I was standing around chatting with a few of my staff when this loud red-faced builder type meandered in store and bellowed 'HERE MATE YOU GOT A SECOND HAND COPY OF THAT EUTHANASIA PRO RACING?'.

I so wish that game existed.

On 08/07/2022 at 22:21, Vimster said:

Just been having a go with MX4SIO and it's sort of alright.

Basically it allows you to load games via a specially adapted memory card. For about £20 off Aliexpress you get the card (SD or microSD options) and a memory card with FreeMcboot on it which contains a special version of OPL. Simply put ISO images onto a FAT32-formatted SD card and away you go.

Well, not quite. Being FAT32 you can't have any images over 4gb, any games that rely on lots of streaming from the disc will run poorly, and of the ISOs I tried half of them weren't recognised.

It's good compared to loading via the PS2's USB 1.1, but nowhere near as good as a hard drive. It might be worth a punt for games that aren't too demanding though.

Even off a hardrive a get odd graphic glitches, the intro to ridge Racer five is terrifying as the girl's face is removed but the eye balls are still there!

Or maybe I just need a better hard drive?

I found the HDD route to be good but far from perfect. I get a lot of crashes on boot up of games, generally once I'm in they tend to run ok (although I have had some crashes), but there's probably a 30% chance I'm restarting the PS2 each time I boot a game.

2 hours ago, phillv85 said:

I found the HDD route to be good but far from perfect. I get a lot of crashes on boot up of games, generally once I'm in they tend to run ok (although I have had some crashes), but there's probably a 30% chance I'm restarting the PS2 each time I boot a game.

That might be a drive compatibility issue. Apparently the PS2 is pretty fussy about drives. 

The PS2 HDD experience is nowhere near as good as on an OG Xbox. It can be a pain to set up, there's still plenty of games that don't work properly, and it's difficult to transfer games to the drive compared to using something like Complex Tools on Xbox. 

Not tried using the network but my Windows 10 broke my network shares and I can't get them back. I think I'm due an reinstall. 

Ah I didn't realise it was fussy. I've tried SSD's, SD cards and IDE HDD's and had similar results. I'll see if I can find a compatibility list, I've got about a dozen IDE drives from way back when, sure some of them will still work.

The compatibility list for the PS2 HDD set up running through OPL is the best place to sort most issues:

https://www.ps2-home.com/forum/page/opl-game-compatibility-list-R

You have to fiddle with the different "Mode" settings with some games and save the config. Outrun 2006 was a nightmare for me with freezing and audio issues. Checked the above list and saw that modes 1, 3, and 6 need to be activated to get around various issues. I did this and it was fine.

Gran Turismo 4 is another bugger that wouldn't let me past the memory card screen. Had to mess with the VMC settings until it worked.

On 10/07/2022 at 03:51, Haribokart said:

Back in the day we were having a quiet one at my Gamestation store; I was standing around chatting with a few of my staff when this loud red-faced builder type meandered in store and bellowed 'HERE MATE YOU GOT A SECOND HAND COPY OF THAT EUTHANASIA PRO RACING?'.

I so wish that game existed.

That's absolute gold, mate 😃

I still maintain that Enthusia is one of the most underrated games out there on any machine. It doesn't have the absolute depth of GT but it's really isn't far off. Graphically it still looks stunning and the car models are so accurate. The music is even very Gran Turismo-like.

Special mention for the incredible Nurburgring music which just builds and builds as you take on the monster of a lap.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, bplus said:

Has anyone played any of these wave race clones? I'm looking for something a bit like wave race and these games look okish?

The top video is mine! 😍

I love Wave Rally (aka Jet Ski Riders). It's a brilliant game, pretty difficult in the latter stages.

Camera can be slightly annoying for some, I didn't mind it once I found the view I preferred. In some views I've heard of some people getting motion sickness. But it's a great game with an awesome d'n'b soundtrack. 60fps too. Looks absolutely glorious on a CRT. 

Wave Rally a bit more sim than the arcade Wave Race 64, though the Nintendo game is probably better balanced and easier overall, but with a lower frame rate? I find it difficult to choose between them.

I didn't enjoy Jet X2O or either of the Splashdown games. Too dude-bro for me, perhaps too American, and lacking any real charm of their own. Gameplay very generic. 

5 hours ago, matt! said:

The top video is mine! 😍

I love Wave Rally (aka Jet Ski Riders). It's a brilliant game, pretty difficult in the latter stages.

Camera can be slightly annoying for some, I didn't mind it once I found the view I preferred. In some views I've heard of some people getting motion sickness. But it's a great game with an awesome d'n'b soundtrack. 60fps too. Looks absolutely glorious on a CRT. 

Wave Rally a bit more sim than the arcade Wave Race 64, though the Nintendo game is probably better balanced and easier overall, but with a lower frame rate? I find it difficult to choose between them.

I didn't enjoy Jet X2O or either of the Splashdown games. Too dude-bro for me, perhaps too American, and lacking any real charm of their own. Gameplay very generic. 

Ha! I see you mention wave race in your YouTube comment!

Do the waves get any less flat? Water doesn't seem to do much compared to wave race!

Edit: had a quick play gonna stick with this, looks promising!

What’s the best puzzle game on PS2?:

7 Wonders of the Ancient World

AquaAqua

Bombastic

Carol Vorderman's Sudoku

Egg Mania: Eggstreme Madness

Fantavision

Jelly Belly: Ballistic Beans!

Lumines Plus

Luxor: Pharaoh's Challenge

Mercury Meltdown Remix

Mojo!

Pipe Mania

Puzzle Challenge: Crosswords And More!

Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords

Super Bust-A-Move

Super Bust-A-Move 2

Tetris Worlds

Fantavision is an amazing game. One of those weird, quirky games that doesn't seem to be a specific "thing"

I would not recommend Lumines Plus though. It's just a port of the first PSP game and isn't as fun on a home console imo. It's been a while since I played it but I'm sure it had poor loading times and a few other niggles. Best off sticking with the PSP game.

16 hours ago, megamixer said:

Fantavision is an amazing game. One of those weird, quirky games that doesn't seem to be a specific "thing"

I would not recommend Lumines Plus though. It's just a port of the first PSP game and isn't as fun on a home console imo. It's been a while since I played it but I'm sure it had poor loading times and a few other niggles. Best off sticking with the PSP game.

Lumines Plus is very bare bones and does feel like a cash-in. It's good to have a Lumines on PS2 but it's nowhere near as worth it as on a PSP, and there are better, fuller versions for PC and most consoles since. 

This thread…

suddenly I need a copy of Taito’s  Puzznic. starts at £20 for a decent version, or a tenner on Amiga.

[edit] 

or I could drop the word “taito” from the eBay search… :coffee:

Edited by SeanR