PS2 Appreciation Thread

I can't believe we don't have one of these yet.

I just recently picked up a PS2 to add to my retro gaming trolley, mainly so I could perhaps finally get to give God Hand some attention. That said I know there are a ton of niche/hidden exclusive gems for the system, so let's get them all listed! I'll start with some obvious ones...

Ridge Racer V

Tekken Tag Tournament

Tekken 5

Outrun 2 SP

Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution
Gradius V
R-Type Final

Raiden III

Psyvariar Complete
Gitaroo Man
Katamari Damacy
MGS2
MGS3: Subsistence

Final Fantasy X, X-2, XII
Suikoden III, IV
Devil May Cry

Devil May Cry 3: SE
God Hand

Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts II
Persona 4
Silent Hill 2, 3, 4
Gran Turismo 3, 4

Fire Pro Wrestling Z

tomorrow me and the boy venture into the garage, to retrieve the phat PS2 from the shoebox, and stick in the McFreeBoot setup I purchased on ebay a while back. It's pre-loaded with 100 games. I'll report my findings.

(My third PS2. I still have my second slim somewhere too.)

39 minutes ago, SeanR said:

tomorrow me and the boy venture into the garage, to retrieve the phat PS2 from the shoebox, and stick in the McFreeBoot setup I purchased on ebay a while back. It's pre-loaded with 100 games. I'll report my findings.

(My third PS2. I still have my second slim somewhere too.)

Please do. I've got a phat one here which is already modded, however I want to retain the laser for as long as possible. I just picked up a minty network adapter last night for a few euros and made a local German retro collecting friend in the process.

I'm picking up a 300GB IDE HDD next week. Next I need to see about making my own MCFB mem card and getting +3h h4Xx0rz on there.

Okami! And Dragon Quest VIII. Need to find a way to get my PS2 running again. Still got it back at home but don't have a TV anymore as I watch/play everything through my laptop/HDMI only monitor. Would be great to play some of these games again. 

Will a sub-£5 device like this really do a decent job?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F163424831474

PS2 is undoubtedly my most played console, by quite a way. It came along at a time when I had the right amount of time and money to play lots of games. And the PS2 had lots of games worth playing. Though mine spent the bulk of its time as a Gran Turismo 3 machine.

I actually didn't play a lot of the classics, like Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, God Hand and so on, but it did get a lot of use for Tony Hawk's games, Fight Night, Tekken... It was definitely my preferred console of that generation, by some way. I've barely used its competitors, I haven't even switched on my GameCube. It was just a fantastic console.

Is there a FreeMC boot thread knocking about? I found a 500GB ide drive I no longer need last night...

18 hours ago, Fallows said:

I can't believe we don't have one of these yet.

I just recently picked up a PS2 to add to my retro gaming trolley, mainly so I could perhaps finally get to give God Hand some attention. That said I know there are a ton of niche/hidden exclusive gems for the system, so let's get them all listed! I'll start with some obvious ones...

Ridge Racer V

Tekken Tag Tournament

Tekken 5

Outrun 2 SP

Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution
Gradius V
R-Type Final

Raiden III

Psyvariar
Gitaroo Man
Katamari Damacy
MGS2
MGS3: Subsistence

Final Fantasy X, X-2, XII
Suikoden III, IV
Devil May Cry

Devil May Cry 3: SE
God Hand

Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts II
Persona 4
Silent Hill 2, 3, 4
Gran Turismo 3, 4

Fire Pro Wrestling Z

A lot (most?) of those games have received either updated HD releases or remasters, so I'd struggle to recommend the PS2 versions over the updated ones.

Recommendation wise, Suikoden V is the best of the PS2 Suikoden's. I'm also a big fan of Suikoden Tactics, as a very accessible strategy RPG with an elements based combat system. Dragon Quest VIII is a classic RPG. Jak & Daxter is a wonderful 3D platformer (by far Naughty Dog's best game), but given a chance I'd play the PS3 re-release. Avoid the sequels, for some reason they decided to turn them into average platform shooters. The PAL version of Ape Escape 2 has a brilliant localisation (if you have a British sense of humour); and is a very good game to boot. The Yakuza's are great, but again the remasters on the PS4 are better. Sega's Initial D Street Stage is a brilliant time attack drift racer - I poured hours into this and the PSP sequel. We Love Katamari is better than the first game.

1 minute ago, gossi the dog said:

I missed that, but a compilation of all of the Point Blanks and Time Crisis does sound pretty great. Did they change anything over the PS1 releases?

Sorry - I am thinking PS1 - they never came to the PS2. 

Is it straight forward to connect a hard drive to a modded PS2 - I have freemcboot setup but would love to have all my PS1 and PS2 games easily accessible. 

Just now, parrapatheslapper said:

Sorry - I am thinking PS1 - they never came to the PS2. 

Is it straight forward to connect a hard drive to a modded PS2 - I have freemcboot setup but would love to have all my PS1 and PS2 games easily accessible. 

They did. Japan only compilation.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gunvari-Collection-Time-Crisis-Japan/dp/B00006L8ZP

my slim was in the same box as my phat.

I could only find my component cable, and I only have third party controllers?

currently letting it get to room temperature before plugging ANYTHING in, and the HDD cavity is the dusty.

Spoiler

WP_20190104_014.thumb.jpg.b9fc642830c5389e0b25b3895cc37191.jpg

Spoiler

wp_ss_20190104_0002.thumb.png.8462a5b3d8a8884374bb3753333a5afa.png

yeah, so who else has

Down

X

Down

Down

Down

X

Left

X

O

ingrained in their psyche from trying to blind change the PS2 to component output?

Also TDU doesnt boot from HDD, which is a shame because sticking Oahu on a ps2 is ambitious. The 360 version struggled...

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

yeah, so who else has

Down

X

Down

Down

Down

X

Left

X

O

ingrained in their psyche from trying to blind change the PS2 to component output?

Also TDU doesnt boot from HDD, which is a shame because sticking Oahu on a ps2 is ambitious. The 360 version struggled...

I thought you held down the triangle and circle buttons?

1 hour ago, gossi the dog said:

I thought you held down the triangle and circle buttons?

Thats if you have a Matrix or Modbo installed. What the OP means is the system component/rgb selector. 

Suprising how many ‘faulty’ machines are simply because it’s been set wrong 

16 hours ago, SeanR said:

yeah, so who else has

Down

X

Down

Down

Down

X

Left

X

O

try it with open ps2 loader