rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Tourist

No onion no garlic

not quite the request for recipes but I was talking to some Indian colleagues the other week about a recipe I found that had asafoetida (or hing) in it, which I didn't have a clue about (quite easy to get) - they were saying that its used in place of garlic or onions as some people won't eat them on religious grounds, but it provides a similar taste and isn't on the banned list. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asafoetida

• Upvote 1

Can you be a bit more specific in terms of what you want to cook?

There are loads of recipes you could make that don't have onions or garlic in them, or that you could remove without any issue.

Well my go to meals at this time of year are normally stews and stuff. Typically I would have done a beef and guinness stew, colcannon, cauliflower cheese. Or maybe a choucroute. 

At the moment I am thinking of just roasting some chicken breasts in the oven and serving them with roast potatoes, asparagus wrapped in bacon, some roasted peppers, and then some cheese and french bread. 

Unless anybody has any better suggestions!

Surely the colcannon and cauli cheese are onion-free anyway? I'm not a meat-eater but I reckon a decent stew would survive without the onions. Maybe up the celery usage a tad (assuming you're using it - if not then do), and ensure there's enough sweet stuff (carrots, swede etc.) to make up for the lack of onion (it brings a lot to a dish, but sweetness is a major part of it). If you can get the asafoetida Gotters mentioned above it will add a distinctly onion-y twang to things - but you need to go easy with it (it often comes double-wrapped because it can be properly pokey).

I presume your guest is low FODMAP, given these requirements - if so more than 5cm of Celery stalk is no good.

Luckily, the low FODMAP diet is actually a big thing, and there are a ton of online recipes and blogs you can use. 

Here's a good beef stew recipe: https://alittlebityummy.com/recipe/en-us/easy-peasy-beef-stew-2/

Whilst you can't use whole onion and garlic, garlic-infused olive oil is low FODMAP, providing that it is clear garlic infused olive oil, with no bits in. Easy to purchase in most supermarkets, and can be used in place of garlic very simply.

• Upvote 1

Also, chives or the green bits of spring onions (just the green leaves, no white bits) are low FODMAP onion alternatives that can be used if you really can't stand not having onion in a meal.

1 hour ago, MarkN said:

Surely the colcannon and cauli cheese are onion-free anyway?

Assuming the guest is on a low FODMAP diet with IBS, cauliflower will be completely out, as it's high FODMAP. 

11 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Also, chives or the green bits of spring onions (just the green leaves, no white bits) are low FODMAP onion alternatives that can be used if you really can't stand not having onion in a meal.

Sounds like there's money to be made just chopping alliums in half and selling the bit most people aren't too bothered about to low FODMAP customers, and then charging a premium for the rest...