Retro repair and refurbishment

Oh man, I'd forgotten about this thread, some cool work in here.  I decided recently that I wanted to do a DC Digital mod, so have been practicing on some other things in whilst working up to it.  At the weekend did some more work on an OG Xbox that I rescued a while back, so now it's running with 128MB RAM

spacer.png

spacer.png

Pete

Oh wow! Didn't know you posted here, I've regularly used your site on and off when looking to do little mods on things, ever since needing to get the power sockets from Maplin for a USA SNES, didn't even have a soldering iron at the time, just stripped wires and taped them in place !!

Thank you :)

1 minute ago, MikeBeaver said:

Oh wow! Didn't know you posted here, I've regularly used your site on and off when looking to do little mods on things, ever since needing to get the power sockets from Maplin for a USA SNES, didn't even have a soldering iron at the time, just stripped wires and taped them in place !!

Thank you :)

heheh, that's good to hear - thank you, for a long time I was hellbelly on here and elsewhere, and for a long time I've been absent too, had a bunch of issues logging in but got that resolved now :-)  and now I need to learn about posting photos in here.

1 minute ago, mmmonkey said:

heheh, that's good to hear - thank you, for a long time I was hellbelly on here and elsewhere, and for a long time I've been absent too, had a bunch of issues logging in but got that resolved now :-)  and now I need to learn about posting photos in here.

Erm.. I just posted them direct from my iPhone... hence why they look awful ( Iphone 7 is old )

Welcome back, it's great here, and this thread is fun to see things being brought back to life that otherwise could have been destined for the trash.

second to say i loved your site and used plenty of your guides. Didnt realise you were hellbelly. With the OG xbox everyone was kicking up a fuss about the clock capacitor but a couple of mine had swollen caps on the psus as well.

Thanks, that's nice to hear :-)  I too restored an NTSC GC RGB cable a year or so ago, back to Component.  OG Xbox seems a bit fragile these days with the dodgy caps - for such a hulking beast!

Todays project - recap my DC in readiness for DCDigital mod.  Read conflicting info regarding if the main board is prone to capacitor problems, but figured if I'm fitting a DC Digital then I may as well do the caps - just in case.

It's such a cool mod and seems to just work

I didn't see the screws in the same bag as the GC Loader, so I spent a while farting around trying to re-use screws from the optical drive.  Then read the instructions and felt like an idiot for not reading them in advance and also for not seeing the bag of included screws tucked away in the envelope.

Then I heard from someone who chucked their envelope away that still contained their screws.  Wasn't just me that didn't spot them then!

Have you seen that Swiss has virtual memory card support being developed?  I've not tried it yet, but should be interesting - especially as you need some form of secondary SD card to use Swiss fully with GC Loader anyway.

I didn't expect to finish this yesterday, but once I started I ended up enjoying it more than I thought so finished it in one sitting.  Really nice product, so glad I got around to it, but also very glad I did some other jobs leading up to it as practice.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The HDMI hole is a little wonky, but not bad for my first one - I can live with it :-)

Well, the Knockoff McWill screen / Board combo arrived the other day, at 5:30, I decided it was a boring day and I'd just "quickly sort that screen thing out"... it's taken till about 20 minutes ago to do, it is officially a right bastard, but.... it looks lovely :-)

Pics up shortly :)

1 hour ago, Colonel Panic said:

Looks cool!! Where’d you get the microscope? I must get one of those ASAP as I can’t see surface mount stuff well at all. 

Cheap eBay scope, cane on a little stand that’s about 6” tall, and useless.

I lifted the scope off and discovered that it works ok at height, once focused, so set about working out a way to Jerry rig something adjustable for its height, then whilst browsing hukd, someone stuck up a deal for a monitor stand, checked it out, it wasn’t quite right, but kept looking on eBay and found this one for £18, so scope and stand were under £40 delivered, depth perception is out the window though.

Monitir Stand - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VonHaus-Single-Monitor-Mount-Arm-13-27-Screens-Desk-Stand/303333894163?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Microscope ( out of stock, but loads simmilar ) - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-3-600x-Portable-LCD-Digital-Microscope-8-LED-Built-in-Battery-Magnifier-New/303723059043?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

45 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

I was scrolling through and that microscope caught me eye too. 

how long did the whole screen job take start to finish?

5 Hours, it should have taken less time, but I was looking for resistors and caps to remove, and using the wrong motherboard diagram to begin with !!

Sticking the new screen and it's wires on the board was quite simple / easy, the picture with all the mass of wires is where it was all working nicely, but took the wires off to shrink them better to the space, half pulled off the solder points on a couple of them, so that was a little worrying, but it all went together in the end.

I had previously re-capped the system.

Imagine that if I was daft enough to do another one, it wouldn't take as long, maybe 3 or 4 hours.

2 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

I’d like to do mine myself at some point but I don’t know if I could spare the 4 hours or so it would take. I’ve been looking at the retrokai one with the easy solder guide. 

Just had a quick look at that Retro Kai one, it doesn't look like it is "THAT" much more effort, I mean, fitting that board saves soldering 6 wires in and of itself, the wiring work wasn't the main problem, it was following the guide for the wrong motherboard that done me in, looking for resistors in a place they were shown and not seeing them, having to get the magnifying glass out and play find that Resistor... then removing it, swapping a couple round ( included in the kit replacements ) putting R30 in place of R24 ( instructions didn't say to put anything IN R30 afterwards, so that got left out ) then looking on the floor for a dropped capacitor, taking the odd picture, watching things on Youtube / trying to buy shit on eBay... all of that definitely added to the time it took to do, guess it could be a LOT quicker if you did loads of them and done them often, the first time I took a 3DS XL apart to change the top screen, it was an all day job, now I can have one stripped and screen replaced in under an hour, 35-40 mins if everything goes right getting the ribbons in, it's all just a matter of following the instructions.. fuck sake, I'm galf convincing myself to order another kit and do this other one I have here, and maybe film this one .

In other news I’m having to admit defeat on fixing the external power jack on my game gear. After a reflow of the solder it still refuses to pass power unless held very firmly towards the front. I think something is damaged inside it and buggered if I can find an actual replacement jack. 

might be a good excuse to get one of those usb-c power boards from retro six. 

42 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

In other news I’m having to admit defeat on fixing the external power jack on my game gear. After a reflow of the solder it still refuses to pass power unless held very firmly towards the front. I think something is damaged inside it and buggered if I can find an actual replacement jack. 

might be a good excuse to get one of those usb-c power boards from retro six. 

Yeah, I was looking into this myself, I picked up one a few months back, someone had fitted a wire and socket outside the device, I ficured it was just the same size, but ohhhhh no... they had butchered an actual Sega PSU and changed that plug also :(

Checked my other GG and the socket on the board for that one was different, so couldn't even swap it out ( as for some reason, even after a cap replacement, it wasn't working ) :(

4 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

Yeah, I was looking into this myself, I picked up one a few months back, someone had fitted a wire and socket outside the device, I ficured it was just the same size, but ohhhhh no... they had butchered an actual Sega PSU and changed that plug also :(

Checked my other GG and the socket on the board for that one was different, so couldn't even swap it out ( as for some reason, even after a cap replacement, it wasn't working ) :(

You fixing for yourself or to sell later?

18 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Very easy. You will need a torx t8 security bit. There’s also a hidden screw under the tamper seal inside the battery bay. 

undo screws, open casing. Lift up board. Pull thumb stick off and put new stick on. Replace board and screw back case on. 

Is there a difference between a torx bit and a torx security bit? Think I'll have a play with the spare controller and see if I can dismantle it and get it back together. It only cost me either 99p or £1.99, so its no great loss if I bollocks it.