rllmuk
Ninja Doctor

Retro repair and refurbishment

On 15/04/2019 at 09:17, MikeBeaver said:

Check Aliexpress if you're not in a hurry, those boards are cheaper there ;)

And also, 4.something % cashback va topcashback on aliexpress :)

£3

On 15/04/2019 at 09:23, Treble said:

I never think to look on there, thanks for that. Much cheaper! Ordered :)

...and they've arrived. I bought both the L and the R boards, and amazingly they're better manufactured than the originals. I actually went for slightly more expensive ones than those you linked to, Mike. Mine were £6 each. 

They're thick boards with responsive, clicky contacts. Even though I've only fitted R and was planning to keep L as a spare, it's so good I'm going to fit L too! So the originals are green, the new PCB is blue. 

DSC_0375_1556285051060.thumb.jpg.df1a64da523298a33f74cd601f183390.jpg

• Upvote 2

After linking @Treble to those side PCB's, I was looking round on Ali and found replacement PS Vita 1000 touch and screens for a little under £14, seeing as I'd got one here that had a pretty badly scratched up touch, I dropped the cash and it arrived today.

It's an arduous task, EVERYTHING needs to come out, right down to the front bezel.

After getting to that point, I got the heat gun out, lifted the old touch screen and OLED panel out, cleaned up all the glue and popped the new one in, once I'd got enough bit's back in, I attached the back just to make sure it was all working, it was, so finished up putting all the pieces back in and popped it all back together, it's looking gorgeous again now, no more mankey scratches all over it, well, on the front anyway, the rear could do with a swap now :p

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

After linking @Treble to those side PCB's, I was looking round on Ali and found replacement PS Vita 1000 touch and screens for a little under £14, seeing as I'd got one here that had a pretty badly scratched up touch, I dropped the cash and it arrived today.

It's an arduous task, EVERYTHING needs to come out, right down to the front bezel.

After getting to that point, I got the heat gun out, lifted the old touch screen and OLED panel out, cleaned up all the glue and popped the new one in, once I'd got enough bit's back in, I attached the back just to make sure it was all working, it was, so finished up putting all the pieces back in and popped it all back together, it's looking gorgeous again now, no more mankey scratches all over it, well, on the front anyway, the rear could do with a swap now :p

That's fantastic, @MikeBeaver. And good to know the OLEDs are both cheap and available. I treasure my 1000 like few machines I've ever owned. It makes my 2000 look like an amusingly-shaped mobile phone, by comparison :wub:

• Upvote 1

Anyone care to link to a troubleshooting guide to a PAL SNES? I’ve got one I bought from this very forum, as non working I think, but I’d like to put it through its paces just in case. No power light at mo...

18 minutes ago, Fireproofradiator said:

Anyone care to link to a troubleshooting guide to a PAL SNES? I’ve got one I bought from this very forum, as non working I think, but I’d like to put it through its paces just in case. No power light at mo...

Pop the lid off and test the fuse, it'll be soldered in, just behind where the PSU plugs in, take it you tested the PSU  on a known source to check that first though?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Fireproofradiator said:

Thanks @MikeBeaver and @Ninja Doctor - looks like I’ll be sorting out a little soldering training next week. Found this page while looking up fuse replacement and it mentions our good forum - link

I've just done one with a piece of wire, it's only temp, just to make sure that was the problem, it won't be getting switched on till a proper 1.5a quick blow fues arrives, £1.40 delivered on ebay :)

Has anyone got a good guide for replacing a d-pad in a vita? 

Working lovely otherwise but just can't press down! 

Alternatively someone I can pay to do it

Since @RastanSaga posted his wanted thread about a region modded Nes, it gave me the kick up the arse I needed to replace the fuse in a snes I had sitting around, done the fuse, and it was giving a wonky image and no sound, so heated up the video chip with the heat gun, then tested again, that had sorted the graphics issue, sound was still absent, so stripped it down further and located the U10 chip, used a soldering iron to heat all the legs and reflow them, this seems to have got the sound back.

lifted the chip leg ( heated up the chip, removed it, bent the leg up and heated it back into place ) then attached a wire to the leg and one to the other chip that it is fed from, twisted them together and it plays normally, untwist and it plays imports.

This isn't a tricky job now as I've got used to smaller soldering stuff, but it isn't something I'd have done in half an hour - 45 minutes a few years ago, now all I need to do is order a couple of switches to fit in the console and think about doing the 50 / 60 hz mod next, and a new shell for it, the one it was in was smashed to pieces :(

• Upvote 2

You know, I’ve got a super famicom sitting in my loft (with cracked case) anyone can have for postage if they want. It was having issues reading carts but worked fine when it did read them. 

• Upvote 2

Finally managed got a get a Gamecube at the weekend. Looks to be working fine but has some quite serious discolouration on the controller port at the front.

Can anyone recommend an easy way to restore it? I saw stuff on YT about using Retr0brite. I was hoping to not have to take it apart to be honest.

@Goose I've started doing this over the course of several days on a couple of things, and it really works. And that's in the anemic British sun - you should be able to do it in an afternoon, in Oz :D

• Upvote 2

Looking at that video would it be possible to buy an artificial light source to do exactly what they did but reliably?

There are tons of LED light sources on Amazon that claim full spectrum light and UVA+UVB.

Would be an interesting experiment. Maybe I'll give it a go on something.

I think heat helps the reaction? So Sunlight would b better. You could try what a lot of youtubers (like Jan Beta for example) and line a cardboard box with aluminium foil, cut out a space for a UV device in the top and place the computer in there. 

Today I learned a valuable lesson, if you arte trying to remove the mask ROM from a Gameboy game, ALWAYS remove the fucking battery first!!

I heated it to the point where the chip came off, turned my head round to place the heat gun back on it's stand and just as I started turning back to look at the board, the battery exploded!

A few seconds longer heating, or turning back sooner and I'd have got shards all in my face and eyes, I immediately ordered some safety specs from Amazon.

As for the chip swap, well, I got a faulty Pokemon Yellow from eBay, wouldn't boot up, I heated all the legs to reflow the solder and it still wouldn't start, so I swapped the chip from that board onto a French Pokemon Bleue I have and did the same to Bleue, that still worked fine and so I went back over the legs again on Yellow, this time with the soldering iron and maginifyer, and voila, it's back to life and I'm not blind, thankfully :)

• Empathy 1

Just attempted my most risky repair yet, the power switch on my Sega Nomad had snapped off many, many years ago, finally fished it out of the box it was in a couple of weeks back and it still worked if you flicked the switch with something pokey, so today I stripped down a Gamegear, compared the internal switches and after finding them to be pretty similar, I removed the switch from the GG board and then the Nomad board, getting it back on the Nomad was a little tricky, but.... it's all back together and working a treat, was a little worried while I was struggling to get switch back on.

As an aside, it turns out the PsOne power supply fits and works on the Nomad :)

• Upvote 2

I've found a GameBoy Color in the loft, it powers on and everything though it doesn't stay on, looking closer (without opening up as 1. I don't have the tools and 2. Opening up handhelds scares me) the switch doesn't stay on the on position. If I hold it there with my finger it works absolutely fine but that obviously doesn't work well when playing a game. Any tips on what could be wrong/how to fix it?

Might be worth squirting a little Isopropyl Alcohol into the switch, then flicking it on and off a few times, I had a box full of GBA and GBC turn up yesterday, all supposedly faulty, turns out the switch contacts had just oxidised a bit over tie and once cleaned it worked a charm.

• Upvote 1