Ninja Doctor

Retro repair and refurbishment

Bit of an odd topic to start but hey, why not have a thread we can chat a bit about the Technical side of fixing up ageing hardware. 

I picked up a couple of old DualShock PlayStation joypads today and am wondering the best option of replacing the analogue sticks. Time has not been fair and I don’t think the rubber was of the highest quality in the first place. 

Would generic Chinese PS4 replacement sticks drop straight in?

The caps would, but the pots have quite a few legs to solder if you need to replace those. Genuine Alps are the ones to get, but be sure to buy the right versions. I think the PS4 clickswitches have slightly different leg spacing to the older pots.

aGlWoAp.jpg

I find PS2 official pads to be useless, the ribbon cable thing always breaks bwond and you end up with pads where not all of the buttons work, so I always end up throwing them away, I am happy to keep hold of the thumb sticks that are good if anyone wants them for the cost of postage.

Doubt there will be many before the bootsales kick off, but any that come along folks are welcome to, saves a bit of landfill ;)

As for general retro refurb and repair, I will try my hand at fixing most things, be it with new spare parts, or, in the case of a Snes I got from eBay before Christmas ( when it arrived and I took it apart, it was full of actual SOIL!! like it had been left outside in the dirt and it then rained), it would power up but there was no picture or sound.

I stripped it down, cleaned it with IPA, this did nothing, I pulled out a soldering iron, went over all of the solder joints on the chips with the iron, this brought back the image but still no sound, so I got out the heat gun and heted all the visable chips on the board one at a time, eventually it came back to it's former glory and was saved from the scrap heap, took a couple of hours and was console & Mortal Kombat 2 only, no psu, pad etc, but for £16 delivered it was an interesting project that turned out to work eventually.

I am all for trying to get stuff back to a working state, why throw things out that are no longer made and ar still in demand? We need more folks with the skills and knowledge to repair rather than just buy new items.