Project GRID Race Driver 3 (Project Cars 3)

Watched the first 1 and will watch the 2nd.

It's difficult, I REALLY wish this wasn't a PCars game because I think I'd have a very different view.

The problem ultimately is I'm just going to struggle to get away with the simple fact they have killed my absolute favourite racing (note I'm not saying driving) sim in order to make Need for Speed Shift 3.

And I'd LOVE a Need for Speed Shift 3... just...

It's like that last Syndicate game, by all accounts it's a stonking little FPS with a bit of depth. But they did it instead of another actual Syndicate and it will always be coloured by that.

12 hours ago, Dudley said:

Watched the first 1 and will watch the 2nd.

It's difficult, I REALLY wish this wasn't a PCars game because I think I'd have a very different view.

The problem ultimately is I'm just going to struggle to get away with the simple fact they have killed my absolute favourite racing (note I'm not saying driving) sim in order to make Need for Speed Shift 3.

And I'd LOVE a Need for Speed Shift 3... just...

It's like that last Syndicate game, by all accounts it's a stonking little FPS with a bit of depth. But they did it instead of another actual Syndicate and it will always be coloured by that.

I agree with you, it should really have a different name.  I assume the issue for them is there's absolutely no point in making the same game as Automobilista 2 and effectively competing against themselves (I'm sure they'll be making money from each unit sold due to licensing the engine).  Making a different game makes sense, but using the Project Cars name feels like a strange decision.  I can only assume the existing market awareness of the name outways any downsides for them.  Launching a new franchise and making people aware of it must be super expensive.

On 30/06/2020 at 09:54, Dimahoo said:

I see @Rushy has left the project.

He's at Avalanche games now. 

That's correct, I'm at Avalanche Studios Group now, working on an open world experience but it won't be racing.

On 30/06/2020 at 10:24, Dudley said:

Codemasters to buy Avalanche.

:blink2: Avalanche is a much bigger entity than Codies ;)

16 hours ago, Rushy said:

That's correct, I'm at Avalanche Studios Group now, working on an open world experience but it won't be racing.

:blink2: Avalanche is a much bigger entity than Codies ;)

"What interests you specifically about Avalanche?"

"That those fuckers at Codemasters can't afford you".

Also if it's a Just Cause game, delete all evidence of Just Cause 4 and make everyone play 3 again for ideas.

The reveal of the car list basically being "PC2 minus a bunch" pretty much solidified me as not interested on launch for this in the end.  If they had a car team I don't know what they were doing because there's very few new cars for a game that's supposed to be about upgrading normal cars.  Plus stuff like still including replaced versions of many cars like the Civic Type-R but not the current one.

The track list is also short on new circuits but even weirder is removing layouts at circuits they already had.

I do worry about Slightly Mad at this point, Fast and Furious is to be kind, a half arsed mess and this has a lot of hallmarks of being a cheap warming over of PC2.  Feels very much like the result of massive budget cuts.

Played this for an hour and a half, first impressions aren't actually that bad :)

It's slightly less 'Project GRID' than I expected, if only because it's actually enjoyable to play on both pad and wheel. Kudos to the dev team here because Project CARS 2 on consoles was a right nightmare in terms of control with either method!

The overall handling in PCARS 3 feels a touch dumbed down, maybe as a result of the above. Though switching off assist and increasing the force feedback values will still result in fun simcade handling.

The game structure is far more 'game-y' compared to the previous PCARS titles, in that sense it definitely feels more like GRID. Or actually more like Shift 2: Unleashed, which I enjoyed a lot, including hints of Driveclub and PGR even - given the way you earn Kudos-style points for on-track actions and nailing corners.

Having no tyre wear, fuel consumption and thus pitstops is a shame, though it also sets this game apart genre-wise from GT Sport and Forza 7. I reckon it won't tear me away from the forum racing in GT we have every Monday night, but maybe for the odd race in between.

Also, it's a bit underwhelming in both visuals and audio, which makes the whole come across as a bit cheap. But there's definitely fun to be had.

Watching Jimmy play it right now. He’s beating the hardest level AI by 13 seconds in a 2 lap race.

Direct quote he just said on the graphics: “It looks like it could run on an iPad”

Another:
“It’s not a simulator, that’s gone”

Honestly it looks like a 360 game. What a massive pity. 

It's strange given Codies already have the Grid games to try to compete with themselves, I like them AND pcars 2 just because it's so different from other racing games I've played. All you need to do is make 3 control a bit better on a pad really. 

14 hours ago, deerokus said:

It's strange given Codies already have the Grid games to try to compete with themselves, I like them AND pcars 2 just because it's so different from other racing games I've played. All you need to do is make 3 control a bit better on a pad really. 

Yeah, but Automobilista 2 is basically PCars 3 so there was no point them making the same game twice. I don't see SMSMasters being able to compete with Reiza on handling. 

I think SMS as a brand is done. Given the sentiment out there this game is probably going to tank. Interesting reading the thoughts of one of the devs in the  comments on Jimmy’s stream. No defending the game at all, agreed with what Jimmy was saying. Damn...

15 hours ago, deerokus said:

Yeah this was always the thing I found bizarre about it, buying SMS only made tactical sense if it gave them something they didn't have.  Codemasters could easily have made both SMS games themselves.

It's worth pointing out though PC3 isn't Codemasters, they bought the dev house with the game in flight but it's a Bandai Namco published game still. (As was F+F).

Which does make me wonder who was making the decisions on the direction of this and maybe, just maybe, SMS looked for a buyer because Namco's demands were making the games awful.

I guess we need to see what their first Codemasters project is.  There is room for the Dirt model,  Dirt = Grid. Rally = Project CARS.  They'll have to call it something else if Namco own PCars (and because they just shit in the PCars well) but I wouldn't entirely lose hope.

1 hour ago, mexos said:

I think SMS as a brand is done. Given the sentiment out there this game is probably going to tank. Interesting reading the thoughts of one of the devs in the  comments on Jimmy’s stream. No defending the game at all, agreed with what Jimmy was saying. Damn...

It's certainly a long way back from releasing 2 half arsed clunkers in less than a month.

And it's not even that they're arcade games, I love arcade games, it's that they're both fucking awful.

There might have been room for this on PC 5 years ago when the PC didn't even have a half hearted attempt at a Forza but now it has top line versions of both Motorsport and Horizon.