Project GRID Race Driver 3 (Project Cars 3)

54 minutes ago, PDogg said:

Not sure how long for but I'm in the top 20 of the weekly Rivals challenge at Brands Hatch, woop woop. In all honesty I don't think it's a particularly fast time (1.33 something) but the competition appears to be incredibly poor (which I'm thankful for haha). One annoying thing is that I can't improve my time because for some reason they impose a maximum of 30 attempts on a week long challenge, that seems very odd to me when I want to keep playing it! 

Cool, could you set up the same event locally to practice instead of using up your attempts?

WRC 9 do a similar thing, I quite like it as it does put a bit of pressure on. You only get 5 attempts in the esport events but unlimited (or maybe 100) practice goes. Shame PC3 doesn’t just allow non scoring practice runs.

3 hours ago, scoobysi said:

Cool, could you set up the same event locally to practice instead of using up your attempts?

WRC 9 do a similar thing, I quite like it as it does put a bit of pressure on. You only get 5 attempts in the esport events but unlimited (or maybe 100) practice goes. Shame PC3 doesn’t just allow non scoring practice runs.

Hadn't really thought about doing that, nice one mate :lol:  

I think I’m going to have a great time with this, the Career/Campaign seems to be exactly what I was looking for after being disappointed with Dirt 5s and the Rival events seem well implemented (other than no Friend filter?) with the medal tiers and Seasons. I’ve done a 1:35 something at Brands so far so a little off @PDogg pace. The extra little challenges in the races, like master 7 corners, are nicely done and mean that you don’t always have to win the race to progress.

It seems to run nicely on PS5, graphics vary from nice in day/night to a bit rough in the wet but always smooth. I had to up the Controller vibration to 90 (maybe due to using DualSense rather than DS4) as I didn’t feel there was enough feedback from the track initially but I’m now throwing my car around nicely. The short Mojave track is an early favourite :D. Sound is a bit disappointing but maybe I can improve that a bit by playing around with the settings.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised with the AI too, I have them one click down from most aggressive and so far I haven’t been wiped out and have had some really close racing with them coming back past, out braking me up the inside etc.

I can’t fathom why they called this PCars 3 (Ian Bell I guess), I read quite a few impressions of the game on GT Planet before I bought it and there is so much chatter/noise around it not being a SIM that could have just been avoided. Once you get past that, most people who accept it for what it is (more like PCars Shift) seem to really enjoy it. Definitely a Marketing own goal.

It does remind me of DriveClub in terms of structure and I’d swear that Bannochbrae track was in DriveClub, it’s very similar.

Yeah, it's Need for Speed Shift 3.  By calling it PCars 3 they've annoyed the PCars players and ensured the NFS players will never look at it.

Which is probably why it's got significantly fewer online players than PCars 2 still has.

3 hours ago, Dudley said:

Yeah, it's Need for Speed Shift 3.  By calling it PCars 3 they've annoyed the PCars players and ensured the NFS players will never look at it.

Which is probably why it's got significantly fewer online players than PCars 2 still has.

Yep, this will be mostly a single-player game for me so I’m not too worried about online. Rivals seems to be reasonably populated at least.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/02/2021 at 08:15, mexos said:

Getting close! 
35C80FC1-0930-4FDC-9DE7-C8F5B0364DD8.thumb.jpeg.716e0233c04a593155faf008858dd677.jpeg

Anyone still playing this? Curious to hear what it’s like now. GT7 is still miles off so I’m tempted to dip a toe.

Paging @mexos :D, £14.97 at Currys.

I’d recommend this to anyone with a PS5 (or X I expect) where it runs very smooth in terms of FPS if looking a bit rough at times. It has a good single-player career but multi-player is dead other than the Rivals time-trialing which is good fun (daily/weekly/monthly events).

An underrated and overlooked game (primarily because it really wasn’t PCars 3) and a bit harshly rated by some ;)

On 19/02/2021 at 12:57, McSpeed said:

It's shit. Stick to GT Sport.

Been thinking about getting this, every review i have seen seems to just slate it for not being the sequel people wanted rather than reviewing the game itself for what it is. For 15 quid I may pick it up and give it a shot

I picked it up cheap recently. It's a fun enough game in the Grid mould, engine is a dog though. I'm on series x and as soon as it rains the frame rate crumbles unless you're in bumper cam. The 'prioritise framerate/resolution' toggle doesn't seem to do much 

2 hours ago, deerokus said:

I picked it up cheap recently. It's a fun enough game in the Grid mould, engine is a dog though. I'm on series x and as soon as it rains the frame rate crumbles unless you're in bumper cam. The 'prioritise framerate/resolution' toggle doesn't seem to do much 

Yep I think it was a DF piece I saw where the PS5 version had a more stable frame-rate, unfortunately I think the XBOX carries over more issues from last gen. I wouldn’t really compare this to Grid though, which I’d say was much more arcade.

7 hours ago, scoobysi said:

Paging @mexos :D, £14.97 at Currys.

I’d recommend this to anyone with a PS5 (or X I expect) where it runs very smooth in terms of FPS if looking a bit rough at times. It has a good single-player career but multi-player is dead other than the Rivals time-trialing which is good fun (daily/weekly/monthly events).

An underrated and overlooked game (primarily because it really wasn’t PCars 3) and a bit harshly rated by some ;)

Heh, I'll dismiss my previous comment. It's not a shit game, but it's still hardly more than mediocre in my opinion. I suppose/hope a few updates have sorted the bugs. But the lack of a clear direction (neither semi-sim such as GT Sport and PCARS 1&2 nor arcade such as Ridge Racer) still makes is less appealing to me.

Perhaps my taste has just shifted. In various regards PCARS 3 is rather similar to PGR4, a game I absolutely loved - 12 years ago. Yet all in all PCARS 3 still lacks a charm like PGR has. It just all feels a bit bland and empty, despite a very nice content load looking at the various cars and tracks :)

2 minutes ago, SnoopZakaDaVe said:

My lord the frame rate is a disgrace on series x. Practically unplayable at times. Other than that, it's alright for a quick blast

Yeah can't imagine how bad it was on last gen. It's better on prioritise framerate anyway. 

This was a great event round Silverstone Stowe, 3 laps, average time of 56 secs required, had to buy the Alpine A110 which is a lovely, nimble little car as my Toyota Supra couldn’t get below 58.

2 hours ago, idiwa said:

Has anyone played this on PC yet?

yeah i played it on pc, it ran really well, until it rained, and it wasn't bad enough for me to be bothered messing with the settings, obvs depends on your pc so ymmv.

On 22/04/2021 at 09:27, idiwa said:

Has anyone played this on PC yet? I do like the comparisons @PDogg is making to Drive Club, loved that game so much. 

Unless it's changed even more than the impression I've had it's certainly not going to be a drive club.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

Unless it's changed even more than the impression I've had it's certainly not going to be a drive club.

I think there are a lot of good similarities.

• Great handling with a pad
  • Cars handle realistically but it’s not a SIM
  • Game Structure is similar inc. objectives per race, so it’s not always necessary to win
  • You can pay a few credits to unlock any category you want (perhaps that’s better than DC, can’t quite remember)
  • Time-Trialling/Rivals mode
  • Rain, graphics are maybe not as good but Live evolving track is better
  • A great game to dip in and out of.

Based on playing on PS5 which doesn’t seem to have fps issues of other versions.

Wow it really did go Need for Speed Shift 3.

And they're currently saying PC4 will go back to being full sim (pretending it ever was).  They're gonna end up pissing off the new people and the sim people will still ignore it after this one won't they?

No no they're totally still independent and it won't affect the future of the studio at all!

I can't help but notice in their twitter bio they refer to themselves as developer of 2 NFS games long before they mention PCars.

I think the biggest single mistake with this was branding - if they had given it a subtitle, ala a spin-off, like Project Cars Speed as opposed to Project Cars 3 there wouldn't have been the same negativity.

I said that at the time and I think you're dead right.  Namco, Codemasters or SMS decided to try and sell based on branding.

Which is weird because actually they had some of the same backlash the other way when Need for Speed Shift followed Carbon.

I’d recommend anyone with a PS5 in particular, who wants a single player pad racer, to buy it (when in sale). I got the Deluxe version for around £25 (it’s bound to keep dropping) and there’s loads of content to keep me busy until GT7. The short race structure is perfect for just a quick go too.

• 4 weeks later...