rllmuk
probotector

Why “all console” fanboys are the worst

2 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

And if you liked blocky as fuck graphics. And shit games from Ultimate.

You’re not wrong on the Ultimate games. They made far better titles for the Speccy. 

I’d still go for smooth scrolling with plenty of sprites and cracking tunes in general though. 

9 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Tbh every C64 owner was jealous of the Ultimate games on Speccy, and every Speccy owner was jealous of Jeff Minter. I was jealous of BBC Micro owners, the posh bastards.

Thalamus were the obvious choice for a developer that really showed the C64 at its best.  

1 minute ago, Vespa Alex said:

Thalamus were the obvious choice for a developer that really showed the C64 at its best.  

Yeah technical wizards, Jeff was my hero though.

1 hour ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Well obviously the Speccy would win. The Commode 64 was cat shit.

ooooooo!

:D

Sorry kiddo but the Speccy was an empty crisp-packet inside a Lynx Africa shower bottle.

My pal had one of those shit Amstrad’s with the green monitors, how we laughed at him. 

But then, with the next wave I got an Atari ST, and was forever going to mate’s houses to play their Amiga’s. 

Swings n’ roundabouts innit. 

5 hours ago, Harsin said:

49444-renegade-zx-spectrum-front-cover.j

Man, you could spend hours picking apart the fashion choices in that cover art,

From experience I can tell you that Bruce's daps just fly off. The films lied to us.

11 hours ago, PC Master Race said:

The C64 was brilliant... if you liked discussing which shade of brown was your favourite. 

Bred a full generation of PC FPS developers too.

The main reason I own all the recent consoles is I get to play all the exclusives on each platform and choose the best multiplatform version (outside of PC).

The C64 was brilliant... if you liked discussing which shade of brown was your favourite. 

Ha, joke's on you because I had a green screen monitor on my C64! Never saw any shade of brown in my C64 games :D

To make it even more awesome, I also had a tapedeck

I preferred the mk2 brown to the original mk1 brown.

11 hours ago, TehStu said:

Spare a thought for my mate, with his Amstrad CPC464 and green screen monitor. 

I remember the day we upgraded to a colour monitor. It was better than HDR.

How about a more fitting title would be Fanboys are the worst..... I'm a gamer I play Console and PC I don't hold to one console either as I'm sure most like-minded people do. It's people who feel the need to scream "PC MASTER RACE" and Sony/Xbox/Nintendo Fanboys going nuts over which is better and which has the shiniest bells on it. I don't know it's topics like this I normally sit to the side and laugh to myself.

Can't we all just get along?

Fanboism is a useful flag for identifying the young and insecure or the old and stupid. Feeling the need to affiliate ones identity with any brand or product is not intelligent. Smart marketing encourages this of course, because irrational loyalty is a way to extract more cash while not offering accordant value.

I suppose it could come from a good place and be poorly expressed in some cases. Perhaps if one thinks others are being miss-sold something or exploited and the only way you know to express your regret is to rant like a loon.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, PC Master Race said:

Sir, prepare to be dazzled:

vice.png

It's not the machine's fault that the artists chose to work with orange and brown! ;) (cue someone telling me that orange and brown were less resource-intensive or something...)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

It's not the machine's fault that the artists chose to work with orange and brown! ;) (cue someone telling me that orange and brown were less resource-intensive or something...)

As I best understand it, those "duller" colours , the oranges, browns (and three different shades of grey!!!) in the lower half, were "alternate" versions of the C64's primary colour palette in the upper half, triggered by altering the voltage through its graphics chip or something, and were therefore more of an accident than a design. Artists would make use of a larger colour palette, even if those colours were muted and/or brownish. Though, arguably, that made for better organic scenery and character fleshtones.

Old computers were so much more interesting and different. Now people argue about a few lines of resolution or a 16ms drop in frame pacing in their otherwise identical multiformat games. Pah! :)

• Upvote 1