Jump to content

RLLMUK'S FAVOURITE ALBUMS OF 2018 - RESULTS!


Recommended Posts

Thanks, as ever. This is one of the main ways I find ‘new’ albums. I’d have no problem with putting an advert in off topic, for several reasons:

 

1. I don’t think most casual music fans would listen to 10 albums in a year. 

2. It would be easy to filter out Ed Shearan etc from the results list. 

3. It might even drum up more visitors to the music folder.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to @ngchol for arranging all this again, and thanks to everyone who got involved!

 

The "is ten albums enough" conversation is interesting - a while ago I rarely strayed from my handful of favourite artists and so I'd have trouble even picking 10 :D however, stuff like this has nudged me into branching out on occasion (I now have a twitter list of followed labels/artists/groups/etc, and the "discover weekly" and "release radar" of Spotify are hugely helpful!) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A few years ago my main source of new music was the RLLMUK poll and the annual Great Escape festival in Brighton. Now, though, it’s RLLMUK and a set of Apple Music playlists which update most weeks with interesting new stuff - Untitled, Midnight City, 6 Music and Pitchfork’s What’s Good.

 

Because of this, I hardly read any music journalism any more except for the Quietus, Consequence of Sound and FACT.  What does everyone else use to find out about new stuff?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah balls, I forgot to vote! Thanks for putting it all together @ngchol

 

FWIW:

 

1. Ghost – Prequelle

2. Zeke – Hellbender

3. Svalbard – Sometimes it's Hard to Have Hope

4. Deafheaven – Ordinary Corrupt Human Love

5. The Filaments – Look to the Skies

6. Hot Snakes – Jericho Sirens

7. Judas Priest – Firepower

8. Carpenter Brut – Leather Teeth

9. Night Flight Orchestra – Sometimes the World Ain't Enough

10. The Sword – Used Future

 

And some random additions...

 

Honourable mentions:

Gama Bomb – Speed Between the Lines

Pig Destroyer – Head Cage

Behemoth – I Loved You at Your Darkest

 

Biggest disappointments:

Clutch – Book of Bad Decisions

Architects – Holy Hell

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @ngchol as always!

 

There are low numbers of votes but it's no less diverse than previous years. I always think it's great just how different the lists are, even from people I have similar music tastes to.

 

You could put a thread in OT I suppose, but I don't think it would be to any great benefit.

 

Also, 10 is plenty.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/01/2019 at 22:22, ngchol said:

Because of this, I hardly read any music journalism any more except for the Quietus, Consequence of Sound and FACT.  What does everyone else use to find out about new stuff?

I get a lot of ideas of what to listen to from the mailing lists from record shops I like, mainly:

 

Norman Records

Piccadilly Records

Bleep

 

They're pretty good curators of music, so I listen to the previews and then order the vinyl or spotify the album (or both).

 

I tend to get a few bits and bobs from Juno too, they have great sales every so often and bang out a load of electronic albums and 12"s for next to nothing so I listen to the previews on their website, buy a few and see what turns up. Sometimes I read the write ups and only listen to a short piece of preview and take a punt, mostly it turns out ok.

 

Bandcamp is great, one of my main sources of purchased music these days. I've bought a lot through there (digital and physical). Their lists are pretty good and split by genre so you can focus on things you may like easily.

 

I've used spotify for years so it's got a pretty good idea of what I like now. The Release Radar and Discover Weekly playlists have led me towards some very nice music.

 

Based on my top ten, I found/bought them as follows:

 

01 - TVAM - Psychic Data - Piccadilly/Norman Records recommendation

02 - Mogwai - Kin - Already a fan

03 - Covert 3 - Touched Music - Bandcamp. I've followed Touched music for years, bought plenty of their previous releases

04 - Ex:Re - Ex:Re - Lead singer of Daughter, who I'm a big fan of

05 - Concretism - For Concrete and Country - It was in the Bandcamp recommendations

06 - Interpol - Marauder - Already a fan

07 - Suede - The Blue Hour - Already a fan

08 - Co Intel Pro - S>>D - Bandcamp. A big fan & follower of their record label CPU Records

09 - Jon Hopkins - Singularity - Every website was talking about this

10 - Thom Yorke - Suspiria Soundtrack - It's Thom Yorke, duh. Very well publicised.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/01/2019 at 22:22, ngchol said:

A few years ago my main source of new music was the RLLMUK poll and the annual Great Escape festival in Brighton. Now, though, it’s RLLMUK and a set of Apple Music playlists which update most weeks with interesting new stuff - Untitled, Midnight City, 6 Music and Pitchfork’s What’s Good.

 

Because of this, I hardly read any music journalism any more except for the Quietus, Consequence of Sound and FACT.  What does everyone else use to find out about new stuff?

 

Holy shit, that Pitchfork playlist is 70 hours long :wacko: !

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks again @ngchol.

 

Was thinking, is there anyway you can eliminate albums that have only received one person's vote? I'd be interested to see a shorter list that has two or more voters.

 

Also, I'd be interested to have the top thirty albums filtered by average score as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Tetchy said:

Thanks again @ngchol.

 

Was thinking, is there anyway you can eliminate albums that have only received one person's vote? I'd be interested to see a shorter list that has two or more voters.

 

Also, I'd be interested to have the top thirty albums filtered by average score as well.

 

Pfft, the one-vote list is where the real gold is! It's the "you've probably never heard of them" list. ;) 

 

Kidding aside, it would kind of screw over the "one vote of ten points" albums that one person genuinely loved, so I'd leave it as it is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Qazimod said:

 

Pfft, the one-vote list is where the real gold is! It's the "you've probably never heard of them" list. ;) 

 

Kidding aside, it would kind of screw over the "one vote of ten points" albums that one person genuinely loved, so I'd leave it as it is.

 

Oh, I'm not suggesting that we replace the trad voting system, just that I'd like to see how those different measures change things.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I eliminated all single votes and then arranged by most votes rather than overall points and it makes a very slight, but quite interesting difference overall for me.

image.thumb.png.4d44f9630e5ed8fb394d19a7894b8c9b.png

Shows what an eclectic and amazing taste in music we have in this community.

 

Looking at the same by average shakes things up even more.

image.thumb.png.fa5de7fad1045fccf7d645642ecebb3a.png

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.