RLLMUK'S FAVOURITE ALBUMS OF 2018 - RESULTS!

Thanks, as ever. This is one of the main ways I find ‘new’ albums. I’d have no problem with putting an advert in off topic, for several reasons:

1. I don’t think most casual music fans would listen to 10 albums in a year. 

2. It would be easy to filter out Ed Shearan etc from the results list. 

3. It might even drum up more visitors to the music folder.

Thanks to @ngchol for arranging all this again, and thanks to everyone who got involved!

The "is ten albums enough" conversation is interesting - a while ago I rarely strayed from my handful of favourite artists and so I'd have trouble even picking 10 :D however, stuff like this has nudged me into branching out on occasion (I now have a twitter list of followed labels/artists/groups/etc, and the "discover weekly" and "release radar" of Spotify are hugely helpful!) 

A few years ago my main source of new music was the RLLMUK poll and the annual Great Escape festival in Brighton. Now, though, it’s RLLMUK and a set of Apple Music playlists which update most weeks with interesting new stuff - Untitled, Midnight City, 6 Music and Pitchfork’s What’s Good.

Because of this, I hardly read any music journalism any more except for the Quietus, Consequence of Sound and FACT.  What does everyone else use to find out about new stuff?

Ah balls, I forgot to vote! Thanks for putting it all together @ngchol

FWIW:

1. Ghost – Prequelle

2. Zeke – Hellbender

3. Svalbard – Sometimes it's Hard to Have Hope

4. Deafheaven – Ordinary Corrupt Human Love

5. The Filaments – Look to the Skies

6. Hot Snakes – Jericho Sirens

7. Judas Priest – Firepower

8. Carpenter Brut – Leather Teeth

9. Night Flight Orchestra – Sometimes the World Ain't Enough

10. The Sword – Used Future

And some random additions...

Honourable mentions:

Gama Bomb – Speed Between the Lines

Pig Destroyer – Head Cage

Behemoth – I Loved You at Your Darkest

Biggest disappointments:

Clutch – Book of Bad Decisions

Architects – Holy Hell

Thanks @ngchol as always!

There are low numbers of votes but it's no less diverse than previous years. I always think it's great just how different the lists are, even from people I have similar music tastes to.

You could put a thread in OT I suppose, but I don't think it would be to any great benefit.

Also, 10 is plenty.

On 02/01/2019 at 22:22, ngchol said:

Because of this, I hardly read any music journalism any more except for the Quietus, Consequence of Sound and FACT.  What does everyone else use to find out about new stuff?

I get a lot of ideas of what to listen to from the mailing lists from record shops I like, mainly:

Norman Records

Piccadilly Records

Bleep

They're pretty good curators of music, so I listen to the previews and then order the vinyl or spotify the album (or both).

I tend to get a few bits and bobs from Juno too, they have great sales every so often and bang out a load of electronic albums and 12"s for next to nothing so I listen to the previews on their website, buy a few and see what turns up. Sometimes I read the write ups and only listen to a short piece of preview and take a punt, mostly it turns out ok.

Bandcamp is great, one of my main sources of purchased music these days. I've bought a lot through there (digital and physical). Their lists are pretty good and split by genre so you can focus on things you may like easily.

I've used spotify for years so it's got a pretty good idea of what I like now. The Release Radar and Discover Weekly playlists have led me towards some very nice music.

Based on my top ten, I found/bought them as follows:

01 - TVAM - Psychic Data - Piccadilly/Norman Records recommendation

02 - Mogwai - Kin - Already a fan

03 - Covert 3 - Touched Music - Bandcamp. I've followed Touched music for years, bought plenty of their previous releases

04 - Ex:Re - Ex:Re - Lead singer of Daughter, who I'm a big fan of

05 - Concretism - For Concrete and Country - It was in the Bandcamp recommendations

06 - Interpol - Marauder - Already a fan

07 - Suede - The Blue Hour - Already a fan

08 - Co Intel Pro - S>>D - Bandcamp. A big fan & follower of their record label CPU Records

09 - Jon Hopkins - Singularity - Every website was talking about this

10 - Thom Yorke - Suspiria Soundtrack - It's Thom Yorke, duh. Very well publicised.

On 02/01/2019 at 22:22, ngchol said:

A few years ago my main source of new music was the RLLMUK poll and the annual Great Escape festival in Brighton. Now, though, it’s RLLMUK and a set of Apple Music playlists which update most weeks with interesting new stuff - Untitled, Midnight City, 6 Music and Pitchfork’s What’s Good.

Holy shit, that Pitchfork playlist is 70 hours long :wacko: !

Thanks again @ngchol.

Was thinking, is there anyway you can eliminate albums that have only received one person's vote? I'd be interested to see a shorter list that has two or more voters.

Also, I'd be interested to have the top thirty albums filtered by average score as well.

30 minutes ago, Tetchy said:

Thanks again @ngchol.

Was thinking, is there anyway you can eliminate albums that have only received one person's vote? I'd be interested to see a shorter list that has two or more voters.

Also, I'd be interested to have the top thirty albums filtered by average score as well.

Pfft, the one-vote list is where the real gold is! It's the "you've probably never heard of them" list. ;) 

Kidding aside, it would kind of screw over the "one vote of ten points" albums that one person genuinely loved, so I'd leave it as it is.

2 hours ago, Qazimod said:

Pfft, the one-vote list is where the real gold is! It's the "you've probably never heard of them" list. ;) 

Kidding aside, it would kind of screw over the "one vote of ten points" albums that one person genuinely loved, so I'd leave it as it is.

Oh, I'm not suggesting that we replace the trad voting system, just that I'd like to see how those different measures change things.

I eliminated all single votes and then arranged by most votes rather than overall points and it makes a very slight, but quite interesting difference overall for me.

image.thumb.png.4d44f9630e5ed8fb394d19a7894b8c9b.png

Shows what an eclectic and amazing taste in music we have in this community.

Looking at the same by average shakes things up even more.

image.thumb.png.fa5de7fad1045fccf7d645642ecebb3a.png