Sign in to follow this  
mdn2

Gaming Predictions 2019

So because no one else has started one yet...

Switch

This year Nintendo reduce £50 off the price of the Switch. No new revision is announced until next year. It has the strongest year out of all the consoles. 

This year's Switch ports are

NSMBU Deluxe (Known)

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Super Mario 3D World

We'll see Pokemon, Animal Crossing and a new top down Zelda released before the end of the year.

PS4

Gets a price cut early on in the year.

Death Stranding and Last Of Us 2 are delayed to 2020.

Days Gone reviews are average. The game still sells well. 

A PS4 Pro Slim is announced.

Xbox

Microsoft buy a couple of more studios. I'm guessing...Moon Studios (Ori) and IOI (Hitman)

Ori 2 reviews exceptionally well.

Crackdown 3 surprises everyone by being good and a lot of fun. Sells next to nothing thanks to GamePass and the releasing next to other heavy hitters.

Misc

Fallout 76 will be free to play buy June.

Platinum games are revealed to be working on Nier 3 and a new exclusive Switch IP. 

And my controversial one:

Sekiro reviews...decently but not great. I'll buy it anyway because it's From Software, but people are disappointed and it doesn't sell fantastic. Dark Souls 4 is announced by the end of the year.

...Nothing too unexpected in that lot. 

• Upvote 3

Metroid Prime 4 footage debuts in the first quarter with a holiday 2019 release date. It doesn’t slip. It gets 10’s across the board and ushers in a new era of peace and harmony across the earth, or at least Internet forums.

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 1

Sony release a PS4 Pro slim. 

Next gen PS and Xbox are announced. 

Resident Evil 2 Remake is the greatest game ever! 

VR death sends press into frenzy.

Fortnite sues someone for doing their dance, or something.

Bark Souls becomes a mod hit, and thousands summon kindred beagles.

A game comes out and is decreed a new level of immersion. Eight button presses and various stick rotations are required to eat soup. You must eat soup.

Sekiro is bashed by several for not being what they want. What it is, is tremendous.

A really good arcade football title momentarily snaps folk away from the PESFIFA vibe.

Housemarque release their Battle Royale effort. It is polished within an inch of its life, is perfectly balanced, and succeeds against all odds.

Ueda releases a trailer for a new game. Everyone talks about feels.

Bluepoint reveal a rebuild of Demon's Souls. Planets collide in joy.

PS5 is announced late in the year.

Somebody modernises Nebulous. I buy it.

This War of Mine Brexit mod helps people understand their new reality, on the days there is full electricity / time to indulge inbetween fruit harvesting.

OnRush introduces a full-on race mode.

Kentucky Route Zero concludes. I have to play through the whole thing again to remember where the hell I was.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Everyone tries to pigeonhole Sekiro as a Soulslike. Few people praise its nods to Tenchu. Nobody commends it for being Sekiro - its own game.

No news on 13 Sentinels. (wrong! There's going to be a "Prologue" demo released in Japan, so I guess it is an actual game.)

No news on Babylon’s Fall.

No news on FFVII.

EDIT: well, Platinum’s game might end up getting a new 202x release date.

I’m going to swerve on my previous stance and say that the Switch does get something P5 shaped after all, although who can say if it’s a port, spin-off or amiibo.

DMC5’s microtransactions aren’t as series-destroying as everyone fears.

Indivisible gets great reviews and nobody buys it.

New Switch colours unveiled - a bold prediction, I know.

Should be noted that neither TLoU2 or DS were ever confirmed to be 2019 releases.

Also, I've played Sekiro, it's flat-out amazing. No way will it review poorly. Or sell poorly, it's already doing really well on Steam. So, I guess that's one of my predictions then. :)

- Sekiro will be one of the highest reviewed games of the year and a big hit. EDGE awards it Game of the Year.

- Sony will tease next-gen, but MS is the only one with a real blow-out.

- Death Stranding comes out in 2019, TLoU 2 and Ghost of Tsushima won't.

- Star Fox Grand Prix is real and releases this year.

- Metroid Prime 4 won't, but we will get a Prime Collection this year to tide us over.

- DMC 5 receives rave reviews, but that other character action franchise Bayonetta won't see a release this year.

- Capcom announces a new Onimusha, riding the samurai hype.

- Bluepoint reveals its Demon's Souls Remake.

- From officially announces a new Armored Core near the end of the year.

- Ubisoft announces Splinter Cell at E3 for a release in 2020.

- Watch_Dogs 3 comes out this year and is set in Europe.

- Ori and the Will of the Wisps will be the most acclaimed MS published game this gen.

- Crackdown 3 bombs in retail.

- Days Gone underperforms, but Dreams will be a hit (both criticially and commercially).

- Rage 2 bombs, DOOM Eternal doesn't.

- A reboot of Perfect Dark will be revealed.

• Upvote 3

Panic Button port a game to Switch that just doesn't seem possible

EA Access Premium comes to Xbox

WiiU Ports: Mario 3D World, Wonderful 101

Mario Maker 2 announced

Perona 5 Ruby announced for Switch

ICO Remastered for PS4

PGR5 announced for Xbox One - PGR3 and 4 for BC

Pikmin 4 announced for Switch

We see some kind of major collaboration between Switch and Xbox for MS' streaming tech. 

Ninja forced to leave Twitch scene after a huge controversy. 

2 hours ago, Vemsie said:

Should be noted that neither TLoU2 or DS were ever confirmed to be 2019 releases.

Also, I've played Sekiro, it's flat-out amazing. No way will it review poorly. Or sell poorly, it's already doing really well on Steam. So, I guess that's one of my predictions then. :)

- Sekiro will be one of the highest reviewed games of the year and a big hit. EDGE awards it Game of the Year.

- Sony will tease next-gen, but MS is the only one with a real blow-out.

- Death Stranding comes out in 2019, TLoU 2 and Ghost of Tsushima won't.

- Star Fox Grand Prix is real and releases this year.

- Metroid Prime 4 won't, but we will get a Prime Collection this year to tide us over.

- DMC 5 receives rave reviews, but that other character action franchise Bayonetta won't see a release this year.

- Capcom announces a new Onimusha, riding the samurai hype.

- Bluepoint reveals its Demon's Souls Remake.

- From officially announces a new Armored Core near the end of the year.

- Ubisoft announces Splinter Cell at E3 for a release in 2020.

- Watch_Dogs 3 comes out this year and is set in Europe.

- Ori and the Will of the Wisps will be the most acclaimed MS published game this gen.

- Crackdown 3 bombs in retail.

- Days Gone underperforms, but Dreams will be a hit (both criticially and commercially).

- Rage 2 bombs, DOOM Eternal doesn't.

- A reboot of Perfect Dark will be revealed.

Edge won't be awarding anything until the 2020 February issue. ;)

I think the big mystery of 2019 is what Sony are up to. Something is going on with them (canceling Xperience and E3 conferences, seemingly no news of any games post LOU, Stranding and Tsushima) and I think by the end of the year it will make sense. If I had to call it, 2019 will be the year we hear about the next major leap for Playstation.

7 minutes ago, Capwn said:

I think the big mystery of 2019 is what Sony are up to. Something is going on with them (canceling Xperience and E3 conferences, seemingly no news of any games post LOU, Stranding and Tsushima) and I think by the end of the year it will make sense. If I had to call it, 2019 will be the year we hear about the next major leap for Playstation.

yeah, that's why the playstation classic was so shit, they had something else on their collective mind.

5 hours ago, mdn2 said:

This year Nintendo reduce £50 off the price of the Switch.

This, I doubt. Same price with a game (or possibly two) included instead.

Biowares Anthem bombs hard speeding their inevitable demise under EA. 

A little is shown of respawns Jedi focused game. It does little to suggest EA haven't meddled to make it a cash grab. 

Rocksteady finally unveil their long term likely DC based project. It still is a fantastic single player prospect but has some kind of multiplayer element. 

No sign of Metroid around E3. Focus will be on Pikmin and/or Animal Crossing. 

If that worries or upsets anyone then fear not. I was a million miles off with my predictions last year! 

Nintendo release a screenless version of the Switch

Konami admit defeat and stop making video games. Their various franchises are sold off to various other Japanese publishers. Take Two buy the rights to PES and rechristen it PES 2K.

Mario Maker gets a Switch port

Camelot make a new Mario Golf for the Switch. It'll be a massive disappointment.

Sony leaves the hardware market. 

Microsoft think this will be good for them.

sega re-enter hardware market. 

They all fail.

There is is a video game crash. 

Brexit. 

Some mad-max future where we all return to CRTs and Atari 2600s. 

Sinclair return to the hardware market. 

UK applies for EU membership. 

The arcades make a return.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

Microsoft tease the next Xbox at E3, taking advantage of Sony’s absence and the news cycle.

Sony don’t tease the next PS until later in the year, but they do announce something before year’s end.

Nintendo don’t revise the Switch this year.

Anthem is ok, but released into “the new October” it struggles to find its audience.

Similarly Crackdown 3, but no-one from Microsoft publically worries too much about the retail sales because they’re too busy shouting about Games Pass subscriptions. Forums, obviously are only talking about the physical retail sales, because they’re like that.

TLoU doesn’t release in 2019. Metroid Prime 4 doesn’t release in 2019. The guy above expecting a couple more Zelda games to be released in 2019 is disappointed.  Cyberpunk obviously doesn’t release in 2019.

Intel’s Core Generation 10 CPU’s remain utterly boring, without any leap in performance. AMD’s next graphics architecture (Navi?) is still a few light years behind Nvidia’s. It turns out that only the Ti card has enough cores to really do RTX ray tracing.

This all feels a bit tame, on a par with “Dreams is too much work for most people”, “2019 doesn’t see the release of the killer app for PC VR”, “Microsoft won’t announce an exciting exclusive based on new IP for release in 2019 at E3”., “Shenmue 3 reviews are universally mediocre, with the exception of Dreamcast fanboy sites”.

how about:

Chris Roberts’ pyramid scheme of a company collapses or is taken over in the closing months of 2019, as the release dates push out ever further right.

Harmonix’s mystery game with  NCSoft comes out and reinvents the music genre. (The pie in the sky bit being it coming out in 2019)

Days Gone is a genuinely transformative take on the zombie genre, getting 10s all across the board... ... ...

Animal Crossing Switch is a persistent online world. Selling anything, be it turnips or furniture, is done against a global online exchange, reacting to global supply and demand.

This is initially praised but inadvertently, due in part with their failure to regulate certain markets, Nintendo create the world’s first game-based global recession. Many players become poor, whilst a select few become super rich as a result.

Players around the world call for Tom Nook to be hanged in a global event, like what they have in Fortnite. Nintendo don’t do this. Players leave in droves.

Despite this, for years to come, Animal Crossinh Switch continues to receive praise and accolades for it’s sense of immersion and realism from left wing gaming press who showcase it as the most striking and subversive anti-capitalist gaming message ever created.

You log in on New Year’s Eve. Everyone has left.

• Upvote 2