rllmuk
Unofficial Who

What games did you complete? 2019 Edition

29. Untitled Goose Game

28 Sep-2 Oct

This feels like a good idea still in search of a game. Going around just being a dickhead is a laugh (I should know, etc.) and there are a handful of decent slapstick payoffs, but it's all a bit flimsy and underdone.

Mostly I think the human characters let it down. The AI is so basic that each one is only fun to torment briefly. It barely feels worth doing anything elaborate off-script when there's no real recognition for it. And even then the behaviour is unreliable and glitchy, as they keep changing their mind about what they're looking for and you end up waiting for them to complete pointless routines. I started the game losing 20 minutes because the first character didn't trigger, meaning I couldn't enter the garden, and after that I never felt I could trust it to behave, which is never good when it's based on puzzles with very specific solutions. On top of that, the models and animation just aren't clear and expressive enough to make the comedy work as well as it might.

I think it's telling how little content there is here, in that it suggests it was difficult to get much out of the concept beyond the initial idea. I did still enjoy being a horrible goose, and it's a great central character with its attitude and that honk, but beyond the novelty of twatting about the execution of everything around it isn't quite there. If it had been a fiver I probably would've adjusted my expectations accordingly, but for the actual price I wanted something, well, better.

• Upvote 3

05/10 - Dragon Quest (Switch) - This is a lazy port of the mobile version, which in turn is based on the SNES remake of the NES original which was released all the way back in 1986. So, yes at it's core it's quite dated. You'll only ever fight one monster at a time, there are a lot of random battles although in keeping with the series they generally last seconds, and you're very much left to your own devices with little direction as to where to go next. Yet it's incredibly charming, and really captures that sense of adventure that I associate with the series. I'm not sure if I could recommend it to anyone who hasn't played any other games in the series, but if you have then there's a pleasant familiarity. I found it utterly compelling. Now onto Dragon Quest II.

Previously:

01. 07/01 - Spider-Man (PS4)

02. 12/01 - Berserk And The Band Of The Hawk (PS4)
03. 27/01 - Resident Evil 2 (Xbox One)
04. 29/01 - Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (Xbox One)
05. 11/02 - The First Tree (Xbox One)
06. 16/02 - Late Shift (Xbox One)
07. 20/02 - The Gardens Between (Xbox One)
08. 25/02 - Super Lucky's Tale (Xbox One)
09. 02/03 - South Park: The Stick of Truth (Xbox One)
10. 13/03 - Devil May Cry V (Xbox One)
11. 21/03 - Beyond Two Souls (PS4)
12. 27/04 - Virginia (Xbox One)
13. 29/04 - Beyond Eyes (Xbox One)
14. 02/05 - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (Xbox One)
15. 13/06 - Shining Resonance Refrain (Xbox One)
16. 24/06 - Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (PS4)
17. 06/08 - Judgment (PS4)
18. 10/08 - Firewatch (Xbox One)
19. 11/09 - Red Dead Redemption (Xbox 360)

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

2019-02-12-- Spider-Man-- [PS4]

2019-02-26-- Diablo III-- [Switch]

2019-03-14-- Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon-- [PC]

2019-03-16-- Skullgirls: 2nd Encore-- [PC]

2019-03-16-- Windjammers-- [Neo Geo]

2019-03-17-- Super Mario Vita-- [Vita]

2019-03-16-- Resident Evil Code: Vita-- [Vita]

2019-04-05-- Bastion-- [Vita]

2019-04-12-- The Division 2-- [PC]

2019-04-28-- Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir-- [Vita]

2019-05-02-- Resident Evil 2 remake-- [PC]

2019-05-11-- Dariusburst CS (AC mode)-- [Vita]

2019-05-13-- Astro Bot-- [PSVR]

2019-06-20-- Moss-- [PSVR]

2019-07-02-- Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice-- [PC)

2019-07-13-- Her Story-- [PC]

2019-08-08-- Killzone 2-- [PS3]

2019-08-21-- Ridge Racer 7-- [PS3]

2019-09-26-- Link's Awakening-- [Switch]

2019-10-04 -- Gears 5  [PC]

I thought G4 was pretty decrepit – it gave me slight chundery feelings, as it’s such a throwback – but G5 brings it all back to the quality of the series' roots. I could have done with some more core tweaks though... my personal wish-list includes: separate buttons for roadie run and lock to cover; more ‘active reload’ style actions such as mantling turning into mantle-plus-melee if timed correctly; thrown grenade attaches to target on perfect ‘reload’; seamless vehicle sections a la Halo, particularly being able to use a Raven, and maybe some other clever traversal stuff too.

In terms of what we got, the Jack commands & upgrades were a lovely addition, and skiff sections are a welcome break from the heavy tread of the Gear avatar. I think people mistakenly got thought this was going open-world, but it’s just a slightly different approach to levels.  They reminded me of 8-bit era computer games that weren’t so rigidly stuck to a formula; fruity but fun.

Definitely the most melodramatic, inconsequential - but ebullient and pleasurable – AAA game I’ve played this year.

n.b. I don't often single graphics out for praise, but hot damn are they amazing in this game. 

• Upvote 5

1. GRIS (Switch)
A beautiful and bittersweet experience with absolutely stunning visuals and music. I don’t really want to say much else as I don’t want to spoil it for anyone. The end really got me in the feels. Recommended. 

2. Katamari Damacy Rerolled (Switch)

Got a couple of constellations left, but the credits have rolled (LOL), so this is in the done pile. Recommended. 

3. What Remains of Edith Finch? (Xbox)

Enjoyed this just as much on my second play through. Excellent game.

4. Guacamelée 2 (Switch)

More of the same, really, which is fine by me. 8/10

5. Gato Roboto (Switch)

Cute little Metroid clone. Finished it in 3h30m with 75% completion rate. Well worth £6 if you want something simple and you like cats. 7/10.

It has been a while.

6. Untitled Goose Game (Switch)

One of the most fun little games I've played in years. Being a dickhead is so much fun. 8/10

–––

Abandoned Games

i. Bloodstained Curse of the Moon (Xbox)

From the gushing praise this was getting, I thought it was going to be great. I really didn't like it at all. Not because it's a retro game – I've actually enjoyed some of the NES games in the Switch Online service – but because of really dull, sometimes infuriating level design, uninspired enemies and an annoying final boss (dual-stage with un-skippable and overly long transitions!) which pushed it over the edge from diverting curio to load of time wasting balls. A couple of the bosses were OK, character swapping mechanic wasn't as good as it seemed at first. 

• Upvote 3

Middle Earth: Shadow of War

Apex Legends

Elder Scrolls Online: Summerset

Oxenfree 

Dragon Quest XI 

Forza Horizon 4 + DLCs

ABZU 

Sniper Elite 4

FFIX 

Hyper Light Drifter

Superhot 

Snake Pass

Yokus Island Express

Gears 4

Gears 5

Batman: Arkham Knight - What a game! Sure, I'm probably not going to differ from the forum consensus regarding the Batmobile combat or the sheer nothing-going-for-him-as-a-villain that is the Riddler, but rllmuks sentiment around this title had given the impression that this was a misstep, that the decision to go open world had compromised the series vision forever, etc. I held off on buying it because of that (and the technical issues in the PC port, which now seem mostly resolved)! And honestly, what a load of shit that was - this place really overrates linearity and being led by the nose and underrates freedom and exploration in everything except BotW.

This is one of the best open world games I've ever played, and one of the most impressive action games I've ever played, it throws almost an RE4 level of consecutive setpieces at you, and features clever ideas you wouldn't see in a lot of other action games with all the gadgets and their puzzle like interactions with the world.

Gotham is the star here, I'm usually a fan of the more grounded takes, but this really sells just going as over the top as possible, almost everything in the world is handcrafted and it's small enough that you never feel lost. And with the Most Wanted DLC Gotham expands between story points, including crashed airships and stranded icebreakers.

The thing was clearly an early-mid-gen technical showcase, just throwing endless particles and effects around and going wild with the audio with fake doppler sounds when driving past things. And something about the usual open-world seamless loading of interiors is just more impressive when it's ripping half of the room you're in off, leaving you gliding down over the whole city rather than just going through a door back into the open world, like in GTAV.

With their next game seeming to be announced soon, I'm in Day 1.

• Upvote 6

Since getting back into console gaming in April with a new Xbox One X, I have completed these games.

1. Ryse - Son of Rome - Yeah it's about as deep as a puddle but it still looks great and I had a great time playing it 7/10

2. Hellblade - Senua's Sacrifice - Apart from a few frustrating moments with some the fighting, I really loved this game. 8/10

3. What Remains of Edith Finch - The best walking simulator I have ever played and I admit at some moments of the game, there were a few tears in my eyes 9/10

4. Gears of War Ultimate Edition - Maybe my least fav game in the series, far to many frustrating moments and of course the end boss is a big pile of shit. 7/10

5. Life is Strange - There were moments of brilliance in this game yet for me the whole time travel element of the game, get tiresome by the end of it. 8/10

6. Layers of Fear - Started well but by the end of it all, I just wanted it to be over 6/10

7. Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Perhaps my favourite one since the reboot, I loved the fact Lara didn't have to kill quite so many people this time, but the story was really weak 8/10

8. Doom - Apart from the awful bosses, this game was amazing, though maybe it outstayed its welcome a little by the end of it 8/10

9. Gears of War 2 - Far better than the first one and in many ways the best one in the series 8/10

10. Life is Strange - Before the Storm - Started really brightly but it really seemed to lose its steam in the middle and the last episode was really disappointing. 6/10

11. Gears of War 3 - My favourite one in the series, it even manages to be pretty funny at times. 9/10

12. Gears of War 4 - At times this was excellent but at other times, it was rather dull and just didn't really excite me. 7/10

13. Quantum Break - It was pretty good, the combat was always fun but the story didn't really make much sense and the TV episode bits were hard to watch. 7/10

14. Halo 4 - Not my Halo game but as you will see later, not my worst one either 7/10

15. Halo 5 - Crap and a massive letdown 5/10

16. Gears 5 - Stunning to look at and at times great to play but for me the two middle acts dragged a bit, especially the 3rd one. 8/10

17. Observer - I loved it at the beginning but then it became less a cyberpunk detective game and more a poor horror game with a terrible frame rate which kept crashing on me 6/10

• Upvote 5

30. Zelda: Link's Awakening
2-8 Oct

Some classic Zelda-ing with a touch of odd. In some ways you can tell it came from a smaller system originally, because everything's quite compact and simple. I think mostly that's a good thing, knocking out the possibility of too much chatter between progress points or overly indulgent dungeon design. It's a nice straightforward rhythm of over and under-world exploring, with the map expanding in clear and logical ways after each boss fight. It does make enemies and especially bosses disappoiningly easy to deal with, but it all adds to a relaxed pace of near constant advancement. The few times I got stuck it was due to some rather old school puzzle design or poor communication (and I really wasn't keen on the last but one dungeon), but hardly enough to spoil things. And then there's the plot, which is sparse but rests on a neat little paradox where

Spoiler

it's all a dream but everyone knows it

that I think has some scope for analysis. Overall, it's a great little counterpart to the far more complex and sophisticated Breath of the Wild.

And another. Turns out I'd stopped playing this just before the final boss. Took me half an hour or so to finish it when I went back:

31. Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom

24 Aug-9 Oct

This is a very large Metroidvania, packed with plenty of stuff to find. But it's a mixed bag in terms of the level design and has some irritating issues that take the shine off it a lot of the time. Mean enemy placement, slidey control, and uneven checkpointing (and some checkpoints don't refill your health when you restart, which is annoyingly unnecessary) give it an old school feel, but in other ways it does everything it can to add modern quality of life features. Often it's just a little off, which is a shame because there's clearly a ton of thought and effort gone into it. The haunted mansion level near the end really stands out and shows what might have been if the quality was as high throughout.

• Upvote 6

10/10 - Dragon Quest II: Luminaries of the Legendary Line (Switch) - More Dragon Quest! For a game originally released only one year after the original, there are a lot of improvements. The game world is far bigger; you now have a party of three characters and multiple monsters in a single fight to name but a few. Yes, the underlying game is quite dated, for example unless you've been paying attention to every single NPC you'll invariably become stuck at some point, and some of the later dungeons are overly long and with far too frequent random battles, but there's a wonderful sense of adventure and charm. Very good stuff. I might try and play something else before moving onto Dragon Quest III. 

Previously:

20. 05/10 - Dragon Quest (Switch)

• Upvote 2

Spoiler

1. GRIS (Switch)
A beautiful and bittersweet experience with absolutely stunning visuals and music. I don’t really want to say much else as I don’t want to spoil it for anyone. The end really got me in the feels. Recommended. 

2. Katamari Damacy Rerolled (Switch)

Got a couple of constellations left, but the credits have rolled (LOL), so this is in the done pile. Recommended. 

3. What Remains of Edith Finch? (Xbox)

Enjoyed this just as much on my second play through. Excellent game.

4. Guacamelée 2 (Switch)

More of the same, really, which is fine by me. 8/10

5. Gato Roboto (Switch)

Cute little Metroid clone. Finished it in 3h30m with 75% completion rate. Well worth £6 if you want something simple and you like cats. 7/10.

6. Untitled Goose Game (Switch)

One of the most fun little games I've played in years. Being a dickhead is so much fun. 8/10

7. Sayonara Wild Hearts (Apple Arcade)

:wub: /10

–––

Abandoned Games

i. Bloodstained Curse of the Moon (Xbox)

From the gushing praise this was getting, I thought it was going to be great. I really didn't like it at all. Not because it's a retro game – I've actually enjoyed some of the NES games in the Switch Online service – but because of really dull, sometimes infuriating level design, uninspired enemies and an annoying final boss (dual-stage with un-skippable and overly long transitions!) which pushed it over the edge from diverting curio to load of time wasting balls. A couple of the bosses were OK, character swapping mechanic wasn't as good as it seemed at first. 

• Upvote 2

24. The Talos Principle (PS4)

EGnnL9HWkAEuLns?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Like Portal, Braid and The Swapper, all titles which this is heavily indebted to, this game presents you with a series of progressively more difficult lateral thinking puzzles and succeeds in making you forget that all you're doing really is lining up some lasers and boxes in the right way, and instead makes you feel like a complete fucking genius, which is immensely satisfying and led to many a big grin being plastered over my face once I'd solved a particularly tricky puzzle. Unlike those other games, however, at over twenty hours and with 120-odd different puzzles to solve if you do everything, unfortunately the game doesn't know when to stop and is a good five, if not more, hours too long. By the third and final world I was only really playing because I wanted to see it through to the end, but seeing as several of the later puzzles require some particularly aneurysm-inducing logic (for me, anyway), the final act took almost as long to get through as the first two, especially when you go for the optional star puzzles, which I felt compelled to. Consequently (like with Prey, which I played recently), I was ready for the game to end long before it did.

Nonetheless, if you like these sort of puzzle platformers, playing this with a bottle of wine nearby and a podcast or Spotify playlist playing through the PS4 (thanks for the recommendation @Paulando) is a a pretty relaxing way to spend an evening. I actually quite liked the quasi-philosophical story stuff, too, even if there is too much of it and some of it's a bit on the nose. It put me in mind of The Witness, one of my favourite games from the past few years, but this actually pre-dates it.

8/10

• Upvote 2

And about half an hour ago:

25. Untitled Goose Game (Switch)

EGnvCMGU4AIcf92?format=jpg&name=large

I feel that @BadgerFarmer has done this justice already: it's a funny joke that can't really substantiate an entire game and ends up feeling both over-egged but under done at the same ti-- HONK!

As I was saying, I actually enjoyed the animation and thought it was one of the better parts of the game (just watching the goose's tail waggle as he walks is hilarious). However, the whole thing has the feel of a Flash game and, having paid about £14 for 90 minutes or so of gameplay, I do feel a bit short chan-- HONK!

...so, all in all, an original concept but ultimately a disappoint-- HONK!

Six out of-- HONK!!!

Spoiler

c757fe0170bf1ce772b53af3e357aece.jpg

:unsure:

10/10

Playing next: Cuphead

Played previously:

Spoiler

1. Gris (Switch) - 6/10

2. RDR2 (PS4) - 8/10

3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch) - 9/10

4. Hyper Light Drifter (Switch) - 8/10

5. Nex Machina (PS4) - 7/10

6. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (Switch) - 8/10

7. The Room (Switch) - 6/10

8. Spider-Man (PS4) - 7/10

9. Monster Hunter World (PS4) 9/10

10. Gucamelee 2 (Switch) 7/10

11. Celeste (Switch) 9/10

12. Just Shapes and Beats (Switch) 6/10

13. Gato Roboto (Switch) 5/10

14. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4) 9/10

15. Vanquish (360) - 6/10

16. Resident Evil VII (PS4) - 8/10

17. Resident Evil 4 (PS4) - 9/10

18. Hob (Switch) - 7/10

19. Katana Zero (Switch) - 7/10

20. FFVII (Switch) - 8/10

21. Dark Souls III: The Ringed City (PS4) - 9/10

22. Prey (PS4) - 8/10

23. Link's Awakening (Switch) - 7/10

24. The Talos Principle (PS4) - 8/10

• Upvote 6

Oct

26/10 Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle (Megadrive/PC) I've only ever played the first level of this but discovering that the compilation on Steam has rewind to let me save spam old games I decided to give this a go. And...I guess you had to be there at the right time? It's certainly colourful but it reminds me an awful lot of all the Mario clones about at the time. It just didn't do much for me, and the rock, paper, scissors boss battles felt way too random. For me this felt too slight and too slippery to love.

18/10 Super Mario Bros (NES/Switch) I've played this on emulators, original hardware, the 3DS but it's taken me to the Switch with it's save points and rewinds to finally get to the end of the game without losing patience. It is a stone cold classic but over exposure to similar games through the likes of The Great Gianna Sisters had inoculated me against its charms. Low points, 7.4 and 8.4 with it's levels that are actually mazes but in the NES version give you no aural or visual cues to assist.

12/10 South Park:The Fractured But Whole (PC) This was on deep discount at a price I couldn't resist. This time it's a parody of superhero movies with the kids fighting it out for franchise dominance. Again it really looks the part and they've scaled back on the gross out "edgy" humour. I still think that they have their cake and eat it too on loads of issues and again they're at their strongest when sending up the weirdness of being a kid. Battles seem to provide more scope for strategy this time although some of the longer battles would crash two thirds of the way through at random which was maddening. It's far longer the the last game and I think I might prefer it a bit more as well.

Previously

Sep

57. 22/09 Untitled Goose Game (Switch)

56. 15/09 NieR: Automata (PS4) 

Aug
55. 31/08 Song of the Deep (PC) 
54. 30/08 CAPSULE (PC) 
53. 25/08  A Normal Lost Phone (PC)
52. 24/08 Nier (360)
51. 21/08 Scanner Sombre (PC) 
50. 19/08 The Gardens Between (PC)
49. 11/08 Hitman:Absolution (PC) 
48. 06/08 Machinarium (PC) 
47. 04/08 Shelter (PC)
46. 01/08 South Park:the Stick of Truth (PC) 
Jul
45. 30/07 Warioware Gold (3DS) 
44. 20/07 Escape Lala (PC) 
43. 20/07 Holoscope:Another Day Another Data (PC) 
42. 20/07 Comedy Quest (PC) 
41. 18/07 VVVVVV (PC) 
40. 15/07 All Our Asias (PC) 
39. 13/07 Rumu (PC) 
Jun
38. 27/06 TIMEframe (PC) 
37. 18/06 Reigns:Her Majesty (PC)
36. 16/06 Escape Goat (PC) 
35. 12/06 Hotline Milwaukee (PC) 
34. 10/06 Roundabout (PS4) 
33. 09/06 Just Cause 2 (360) 
32. 06/06 Maniac Mansion (PS4/PC) 
31. 06/06 Abzu (PC)
30. 02/06 Armored Warriors (PC/Arcade) 
29. 02/06 Warriors of Fate (PC/Arcade) 
May
28. 28/05 Knights of the Round (PC/Arcade) 
27. 21/05 Spider Man (and The City that Never Sleeps DLC)
26. 14/05 Knack (PS4)
25.05/05 Captain Commando (PC/Arcade) 
24. 05/05 The King of Dragons (PC/Arcade)
Apr
23. 30/04 Battle Circuit (PC/Arcade)
22. 29/04 Final Fight (PC/Arcade)   
21. 22/04 Old Man's Journey (PC)
20. 18/04 The First Tree (PC)
19. 14/04 FAR:Lone Sails (PC)
18. 13/04 The Darkside Detective (PC)
17. 03/04 Final Fantasy 15:Episode Ardyn (PS4)
Mar
16. 27/03 Space Pilgrim (Episodes1-4)
15. 19/03 Red Dead Redemption (360)
14. 17/03 Where on Google Earth is Carmen Sandiego (Browser)
Feb
13. 24/02 Universal Paperclips (Browser)
12. 13/10 Florence (iOS)
11. 10/02 Squidlit (PC)
10. 10/02 Plug & Play (PC)
Jan
9. 28/01 Killing Time at Lightspeed:Enhanced Edition (PC)
8. 28/01 Assassin's Creed Origins:The Curse of the Pharaohs (PS4)
7. 27/01 Awkward Dimensions Redux (PC)
6. 27/01 Home (PC)
5. 27/01 Explosionade (PC)
4. 13/01 Kero Blaster (PC)
3. 12/01 Bandersnatch (Netflix)
2. 05/01 Assassin's Creed Origins:The Hidden Ones (PS4)
1. 01/01 TRAUMA (PC) 

• Upvote 1

Castlevania: SotN (for the fourth time)..

I picked up a psx classic so why not put this on it? A few tweaks later (disable frame skip and auto_dimmer) and a buttery smooth 60fps performance. This time I found out about the Alucard Shield and Shield Rod trick. Made last few bosses much easier. Only two rooms left in found but I’m happy with 199% map. 

• Upvote 3

1. Spider-Man (7th Jan)

2. Devil May Cry 5 (14th March)

3. The Witness (17th March)

4. Assassin’s Creed Odyssey (27th April)

5. Days Gone (13th July)

6. Dragon Quest Builders 2 (15th August)

7. Control (14th September)

8. Telling Lies (22nd September)

9. Assemble (25th September)

10. Untitled Goose Game (29th September)

11. Ni No Kuni 2 (13th October)

Cute little game, and despite what I’d read I ended up really enjoying the combat and nation building stuff, although the less said about the crappy skirmish mode the better. It gets a lot of little quality of life things so right, loading is fast, skipping around the map is nice and easy, and it doesn’t feel horribly padded out. 40 hours, bang, done.

Oh, and obvs it’s GORGEOUS to look at too. Worth the thirteen quid on the PSN store I got it for a few weeks back. 

• Upvote 3

Sayonara Wild Hearts - PS4

Not much to add to @shirubagans comment really. Lovely game. And I'll keep dipping in for golds and all of the diamonds.

Previously

Spoiler

Persona 5 Platinum Trophy

Ni No Kuni II

Ni No Kuni II : Lair of the Lost Lord

Danganronpa v3

The Unfinished Swan

Ni No Kuni II : Tales of a Timeless Tome

Zero Escape : Zero Time Dilemma

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call

FFXIV : A Realm Reborn

TLOU : Left Behind

• Upvote 2

Another one I finished a while back but haven't got round to posting about here:

Blazing Chrome (Xbox One):

Finished this on default difficulty by artlessly bludgeoning my way from checkpoint to checkpoint thanks to infinite continues.

Bad first impressions aside (more botched local co-op / profile system nonsense that I can't be bothered to go in to in detail), I thought this was superb. It's a long time since I've played a Contra game so I could be talking out of my arse but I felt this was on par with Contra 3 and Hard Corps. I have played a fair bit of Gunstar Heroes recently, and I wouldn't rate this too far behind that. Great pacing, constantly switching between run and gun sections and mid bosses. Imaginative stage bosses with satisfying attack patterns and windows of opportunity that don't require you to figure out inscrutable hit boxes or safe spots from screen spanning attacks. Perfect use of the mega drive colour palette. Well animated, chunky sprites and loads of parallax scrolling layers. Plenty of little nods to Metal Slug as well as (obviously) the Contra series.

Pure action from start to finish.

2019 so far:

Spoiler

January:

Ashen (Xbox One)

Celeste (Xbox One)

Assault Android Cactus (Xbox One)

Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice (Xbox One)

February:

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Xbox One)

The Division (Xbox One)

March:

Bad North (Xbox One)

Minit (Xbox One)

May:

Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus (Xbox One)

Dandara (Xbox One)

Crackdown 3 (Xbox One)

June:

Sonic Mania (Xbox One)

World War Z (Xbox One)

R-Type Tactics (PSP)

July:

Steam World Dig (Wii U)

Panzer Dragoon Orta (Xbox via BC)

August:

Assassin's Creed Origins (Xbox One)

Ori and the Blind Forest (Xbox One)

Blazing Chrome (Xbox One)

• Upvote 4

Had a spare half an hour so checked back on my trophies/achievements for the year:

Jan
Late Shift (Xbox One) 6/10

Gears of War 4 (Xbox One) 6/10

The Gardens Between (Xbox One) 9/10

Abzu (Xbox One) 7/10

Mutant Year Zero (Xbox One) 8/10

Feb

New Star Manager (Switch) 10/10

Halo 5 (Xbox One) 6/10

Forza Horizon 4 (Xbox One) 9/10

Metro Last Light Redux (Xbox One) 8/10

Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) 7/10

Mar

Call of Duty: MW Remaster (PS4) 8/10

Nier: Automata (PS4) 9/10

Apr
What Remains of Edith Finch (Xbox One) 9/10

The Division 2 (PS4) 8/10

May

Ryse (Xbox One) 6/10

Quantum Break (Xbox One) 5/10

Steamworld Quest (Switch) 7/10

Jun

Moonlighter (Xbox One) 8/10

Jul

Oxenfree (Xbox One) 8/10

Days Gone (PS4) 8/10
911 Operator (Switch) 7/10

Aug

Slay the Spire (Xbox One) 9/10

Sep

Picross S (Switch) 8/10

My Friend Pedro (Switch) 7/10

Beat Saber (Oculus Quest) 9/10

Oct

Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch) 9/10

Superhot VR (Oculus Quest) 9/10

Yoku’s Island Express (Switch) 9/10

Untitled Goose Game (Switch) 7/10

Neo Cab (Apple Arcade) 7/10

Assemble with Care (Apple Arcade) 8/10

Tint (Apple Arcade) 6/10

Detroit: Become Human (PS4) 7/10

Conclusions: Great year for gaming, I complete more games in colder months, game pass is ridiculously good value for money, Apple Arcade is the next big thing. 

Currently playing:

RDR2, Astral Chain, Octopath Traveler, SW: Jedi Fallen Order, Oculus games and a load of Apple Arcade games

• Upvote 5

Resident Evil 4 - PS4

I played this through on the Gamecube on release and loved it, since then I bought it on the Wii and PS3, but never moved passed the village. Got a weird hankering for it a couple of weeks ago and it was on sale on PSN so grabbed it.

Best decision I have made in ages.

This is still a brilliant game. I've just finished it and need to play Separate Ways yet but it has been the most fun I have had with a game in ages outside of Final Fantasy XIV. My 16 year old son has just started a playthrough too, and once he got to grips with the controls, is enjoying it. So what makes it so great? In my opinion, the pacing. I have really hated the move to open world games over the last X years or so, as I think it makes it a lot more difficult for developers to create an experience that means you play the game the way that they intended. Resi 4 pushes you along a specific path all the way, and presents you with a ton of set pieces that are just sublime. And the merchant. What a star he is. Totally at odds with the rest of the world, but he fit perfectly. And if you buy his treasure maps, it just adds a slight extra layer that makes you look more at the environment. And the mini game he has.......

But so many great touches. I forgot Ashley calls you a pervert if you look up her skirt, but she uttered this while I suplexing a priest guy. And on Ashley, she is brilliant, the only escort mission sidekick ever that actually works. The cheesy dialogue, the merchant, the item management, it's almost perfect. Plus, it's not that hard. I am generally shit at games, but with some caution and learning from deaths, you can make it through easily.

So it's set piece after set piece, pushed down a corridor, no choices, but thats fine by me as it is an amazing experience. It's the same reason I think Arkham Asylum is the best of those games as you are playing the game the developers envisaged. I like clear objectives, I like a clear path, and it's getting rarer these days.

Big question is, what do I do next? Resi 6 is more action based, Resi 7 I have just played the demo and my heart won't take it. I think Resi 2 remake looks to be the obvious choice, though I think I fancy a go at 0 and 1 as well. But what a game. I wish there was something that was just like this that I could grab but there isn't.

Previously

Spoiler

Persona 5 Platinum Trophy

Ni No Kuni II

Ni No Kuni II : Lair of the Lost Lord

Danganronpa v3

The Unfinished Swan

Ni No Kuni II : Tales of a Timeless Tome

Zero Escape : Zero Time Dilemma

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call

FFXIV : A Realm Reborn

TLOU : Left Behind

Sayonara Wild Hearts

• Upvote 6

And a couple more:

Gears 5 (Xbox One):

I did a run down of how much I liked this game and a second, slightly incoherent ramble about how stupid the story is, in the Gears 5 thread. So here's a few other random observations:

All your team mates are disciples of Creepy Watson.

Everyone is in awe of Anya and really cut up that she's gone. Must be because of stuff in the novels and comics because her entire contribution to the games was to get on and off helicopters. EDIT: Turns out she was playable in Gears 3, this obviously left a massive impression on me...

The revealed origin of Queen Myrahh and the locusts is point for point the exact plot of FEAR 2 and nobody seems to have noticed. The only surprise in the reveal was that since they've been telegraphing all this since the second game I'd just assumed they'd already covered it and I'd forgotten.

As spectacular as the game is nothing here quite matches the majesty and the horror of hitting an enemy at point blank range with a sawn off shotgun in Gears 3 and watching them become so much airborne paste.

Creature in the Well (Xbox One):

It looks great and it's a cool concept (pinball-meets-baseball puzzle based dungeon crawl). But...

Finicky, weird mechanics that don't sell the pinball meets baseball concept at all, for example you suspend balls in front of you by constantly whiffing one of your weapon/bats around - it doesn't look or feel good. You're not granted much precision so when the game wants you to preform precise sequences of shots later luck plays a big role in whether you succeed.

Cut and paste level layouts, but to a ridiculous degree where they even use the same puzzle rooms multiple times over the course of the game. You need an energy resource to open doors to go deeper in to the dungeons, but you have a surplus for almost the entire game meaning you can literally walk past half the puzzles if you can't be arsed. Everything is arranged in the driest, laziest level structure you can imagine. Nothing loops back on itself or influences any other part of the dungeon. It's just sequences of linear rooms connected by T-junctions, half of which you don't need to go down because of the excess of energy needed to open doors.

The titular Creature is constantly talking about how it's going to kill you, but every time you die it saves you and returns you to the surface completely undercutting the atmosphere.

It's a reasonably pleasant thing to noodle around with because it looks and sounds great and it doesn't take long to get through. Ultimately though, it's not much more than a proof of concept.

2019 so far:

Spoiler

January:

Ashen (Xbox One)

Celeste (Xbox One)

February:

The Division (Xbox One)

March:

Bad North (Xbox One)

Minit (Xbox One)

May:

Dandara (Xbox One)

Crackdown 3 (Xbox One)

June:

Sonic Mania (Xbox One)

World War Z (Xbox One)

R-Type Tactics (PSP)

July:

Steam World Dig (Wii U)

August:

September:

Gears 5 (Xbox One)

Creature in the Well (Xbox One)

• Upvote 3

Much like James Farley; I wasn’t sure where Apple Arcade fit in my life so I was happy to skip it knowing I would probably be missing some gems I wouldn’t play any way. But then…

What the Golf – 12/10/19

The buzz this game was getting was too buzzy to ignore, and after all AA was free for a month so I could easily sack it off when I’d had my fill. WTG was totally worth the dive in to Apple’s ecosystem. It totally reminded me of Mario Galaxy/3D World in the way it would throw ideas at you and just as quickly move on from them. Only a few knuckle-bitingly hard ‘Crown’ levels stopped this from being a total delight from start to finish.

As I’m here…

Cricket Through the Ages – 12/10/19

From the sublime to the ridiculous. A fun little distraction which is obviously intended for drunk multiplayer times but I battered through the single player modes anyway. It never becomes more than said fun distraction (and the less said about the War level the better) but worth throwing a quick download at for sure.

As I’m still here…

Tangle Tower - 17/10/19

This was a surprise. I saw someone on here describe it as Ace Attorney X Prof Layton (sounds familiar) and thought ‘I’m not getting out of AA anytime soon’ and promptly downloaded. That was a great description of a great game. Great characters, great writing, great mystery. Great! Lots of red herrings but each with a story payoff and only a one or two hanging threads at the end. If you like your visual novels on the more interactive side you absolutely have to give this a go.

Previously

Spoiler

25/09: Link's Awakening

18/09: Batman - Arkham City

09/09: Batman - Arkham Asylum

01/09: Fire Emblem: Three Houses

01/09: Yoshi's Crafted World

27/07: World of Final Fantasy Maxima

28/07: Horizon: Zero Dawn

23/06: Steamworld Quest

22/06: What Remains of Edith Finch

18/06: Assassin's Creed Odyssey

01/06: Picross S3

27/03: Monsterboy and the Cursed Kingdom

08/03: Kingdom Hearts 3

06/03: Super Smash Bros Ultimate – World of Light

04/01: Darksiders 3

04/01: The Gardens Between

02/01: Yoku’s Island Express

• Upvote 3

In 3 weeks I’ve done 

Evil Within 2

Steamworld heists

steamworld dig 2

Titanfall 2

Doom

Gravity Rush 2

Detroit

very productive of me. I’ve had some of these hanging around for a number of years and it feels good to finish them off.

Rather enjoyed Steamworld Dig 2 and Detroit. Gravity Rush 2 got annoying towards the end. Titanfall was decent but not quite as glowing as the reviews had been (still the best feeling shooter I think in terms of response curve)

Doom was a bit senseless and I don’t want a sequel.

Evil Within 2 was a mild step down from the original IMO but all of them worth picking up in a sale.

• Upvote 3

Middle Earth: Shadow of War

Apex Legends

Elder Scrolls Online: Summerset

Oxenfree 

Dragon Quest XI 

Forza Horizon 4 + DLCs

ABZU 

Sniper Elite 4

FFIX 

Hyper Light Drifter

Superhot 

Snake Pass

Yokus Island Express

Gears 4

Gears 5

Batman: Arkham Knight

I've gone mental with Game Pass too:

Arkham Knight DLC Episodes - Most of these are ridiculously short, like half an hour long, each is 2 fights, a single "predator room" and then a "boss fight" which is just a regular enemy with a bigger health bar, and no cutscenes. The only substantial one is the Batgirl one, which offers a larger area and more of a story, which was fine, but nothing standout. I think they bit off more than they could chew here, six playable characters is a lot and most end up feeling a bit thin due to lacking a lot of gadgets, as well as no progression and limited traversal, a single character expansion that was deeper would have been better. 

Metro Exodus - The developers were clearly fans of Idle Thumbs podcasts circa 2012, because not only does this take heavy inspiration from Far Cry 2, but also obscure stuff they played like Miasmata. There's some absolutely diabolical sections in here, like being ambushed by leeches on a rowing boat gauntlet that break your mask while the atmosphere is unbreathable, and quite a bit of jank, but there's also good stuff to recommend - the way the games mixes up its structure throughout makes every zone feel fresh, and while I bemoaned there were a few places where it felt like you should have some choice in the story, I was quite surprised to find that you actually do, it just never offers you "Clementine will remember this" options but silently tracks how you actually behave.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - I thought this was the third one because the names are so interchangeable, and the games are too, this literally redoes the same setpieces from the first game, like when you shimmy along ledges while a big zombie army marches by, or end up having a big arena fight with 40 zombie soldiers near the end. The additions of fetch quests,  throwable bottles and microtransactions are not exactly gamechangers. It's the byword of mediocre and probably where most wrote off the series for good.

Bloodstained - You know, I've never played a Castlevania, I've played Metroid games and lots of Metroidvanias and thought I'd got the gist, but this is a different animal. While Metroid is like, really stripped down, refined design, this is the kitchen sink approach - stats, levelling, dozens of abilities, like 50 unique weapons, masterable weapons techniques, crafting, quests! There are always like three different ways to progress and unique builds you could do or you could just level up and steamroll everything. 

It's hard to recommend, it's a tremendously ugly game, looking like a mishmash of random asset store packs, some of the main characters don't even share the same rendering style even when they're standing next to each other in the low-rent cutscenes, the progression is often obscure and needs a guide, there's a big difficulty spike near the start. But I really, really enjoyed it, it's like digital crack.

• Upvote 4

27/09/2019 - Unavowed (PC)

Billed as an adventure with RPG elements, this supernatural-themed point-and-click offers some (very limited) freedom in approaching cases, along with the ability to solve puzzles in multiple ways (depending on what team members you pick).

I don't generally play adventures but I enjoyed - if not loved - this. It was short and quite punchy, with cases short enough that you could make progress in a quick gaming session. Choosing different team members will give some different dialogue and alternative ways to approach the puzzles, but as you would expect, it doesn't make a material difference to things. I certainly wouldn't expect anybody to replay missions on the strength of any differences, at any rate.

Some obtuse puzzles and the ending let things down a bit for me, but it was still a decent game and worth a play.

16/10/2019 - Homefront: The Revolution (PC)

The first Homefront game was Red Dawn made into a game - small-town America rising up against a Korean (rather than Russian) threat. It was okay, from what I remember. This takes the premise up a load of notches, with America living under an established occupation force and your goals are a bit loftier this time - you need to help start a revolution.

The move to open world means the same thing that blight all other open world games - lots of fairly generic missions supplemented with lots of padding - sorry, activities - that you can do outside of the mainline campaign. It brought back memories of my Far Cry 3 playthrough - I started out thinking I'd complete each area and buy all the weapons and stuff - but after the first area was completed I got bored of all the padding and decided to just get through the main missions instead.

It's competent. The gunplay is fairly satisfying, the locations offer some scale and vertical play and I loved the day/night and rain/shine cycle (the rain actually forms puddles on the ground, which was a lovely touch). The missions themselves aren't anything special - there's a surprising lack of bombast - and I feel the open world aspect didn't really add anything to the experience.

I have the DLC to play, which I will, but much like I'm in no rush to play another Far Cry game, this - should they ever announce a third title - isn't one I'd be running to play. 

20/10/2019 - The Terrible Old Man (PC)

This is an incredibly short - about 15 minutes or less - well, I'm not really sure what. I think it is described as a Lovecraftian-themed (isn't everything?) point-and-click. There's basically some character-conversations and 1 puzzle and that's it. An odd little thing.

Previously completed:

Spoiler

05/09/2019 Star Wars Battlefront: Resurrection DLC (PC)

31/08/2019 Her Story (PC)

25/08/2019 Battlefield V (PC)

03/08/2019 - Tacoma (PC)

10/07/2019 - Stars Wars: The Force Unleashed 2 (PC)

10/05/2019 - Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes (X360)

30/03/2019 - Tyranny (PC)

20/03/2019 - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (PC)

03/03/2019 - Wulverblade (PC)

24/02/2019 - Star Wars Battlefront 2 (PC)

22/01/2019 - Alan Wake (PC)

21/01/2019 - Adam Wolfe (PC)

05/01/2019 - Simulacra (PC)

• Upvote 3

1. Spider-Man (7th Jan)

2. Devil May Cry 5 (14th March)

3. The Witness (17th March)

4. Assassin’s Creed Odyssey (27th April)

5. Days Gone (13th July)

6. Dragon Quest Builders 2 (15th August)

7. Control (14th September)

8. Telling Lies (22nd September)

9. Assemble (25th September)

10. Untitled Goose Game (29th September)

11. Ni No Kuni 2 (13th October)

12. Uncharted Lost Legacy (20th October)

Bought Just Cause 4 cheap when I finished Ni No Kuni but finding it a bit of a grind, so whilst absent mindedly browsing through the PSN Store, came across this, realised I bought it two years ago then bounced off it thanks to finding the open world level a bit dull. 

Duly redownloaded and with a stronger resolve I started again yesterday. And this time smashed through it in two sittings. 

What a game! Can’t wait for a next gen Chloe adventure. 

• Upvote 3

I just completed GTA 3, on the iPad, for pity's sake. First GTA I've ever completed on any format. I only launched it to see how it looked out of curiosity, but with a decent-ish bluetooth speaker and a Dual Shock 4 connected, I was soon absolutely floored with nostalgia (mostly by the soundtrack)and revisiting Liberty City felt like returning to somewhere I'd actually lived. Every shortcut, item location and mission immediately came back to me and I was soon stealing vehicles to order, doing vigilante and emergency missions, mopping up sidequests and unlocking the other two areas. Haven't been able to stop playing it.

Sure, it has some rough edges that wouldn't be tolerated now, but I prefer my games to be games and not movies, and this is the most gamey out of all the 3D GTAs. The balance between cut scenes and time spent playing is brilliantly judged and made me realise what a waste of time and resources all the cinematic assets in later GTAs have been. GTA3 is so pure and focussed with none of the annoying systems or pointless mechanics that made the other games feel bloated and boring. This game is about getting missions done and causing as much chaos and carnage as possible - the police are way less annoying for one, you can actually fire your weapons in the middle of nowhere without getting swarmed by meat wagons and choppers. Other little things that I always used to enjoy, like cars always catching fire and exploding when rolled over onto the roof causing loads of potential for carnage, made me wonder why they were removed from later games.

The  soundtrack is also somehow more evocative to me than the licensed OSTs of the later games - it immediately sounded like GTA when I first got in a car and Lips 106 blasted out "I never get tired of boy bands. If you like checking out classical Musicals, head down to Bedford Point where you can see Fanny: Saturday Night Beaver. I saw Saturday night Beaver and did you know those little fellows, They never take a break! They just disco dance, and dam build, its crazy!" - instantly got a smile from me.

Okay it's not a perfect port - this isn't  the PS2 version on a tablet, and even with a DS4, some of the aiming is truly awful and I really struggled to get through a few missions. But overlooking that, this was a game I never expected to return to, and beyond being a massive nostalgia trip, was just a blast to visit again.

Vice City next!

• Upvote 6

Spoiler

Jan
Late Shift (Xbox One) 6/10

Gears of War 4 (Xbox One) 6/10

The Gardens Between (Xbox One) 9/10

Abzu (Xbox One) 7/10

Mutant Year Zero (Xbox One) 8/10

Feb

New Star Manager (Switch) 10/10

Halo 5 (Xbox One) 6/10

Forza Horizon 4 (Xbox One) 9/10

Metro Last Light Redux (Xbox One) 8/10

Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) 7/10

Mar

Call of Duty: MW Remaster (PS4) 8/10

Nier: Automata (PS4) 9/10

Apr
What Remains of Edith Finch (Xbox One) 9/10

The Division 2 (PS4) 8/10

May

Ryse (Xbox One) 6/10

Quantum Break (Xbox One) 5/10

Steamworld Quest (Switch) 7/10

Jun

Moonlighter (Xbox One) 8/10

Jul

Oxenfree (Xbox One) 8/10

Days Gone (PS4) 8/10
911 Operator (Switch) 7/10

Aug

Slay the Spire (Xbox One) 9/10

Sep

Picross S (Switch) 8/10

My Friend Pedro (Switch) 7/10

Beat Saber (Oculus Quest) 9/10

Oct

Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch) 9/10

Superhot VR (Oculus Quest) 9/10

Yoku’s Island Express (Switch) 9/10

Untitled Goose Game (Switch) 7/10

Neo Cab (Apple Arcade) 7/10

Assemble with Care (Apple Arcade) 8/10

Tint (Apple Arcade) 6/10

Inside (Xbox One) 10/10

Detroit: Become Human (PS4) 7/10

Nov

The Outer Worlds (PS4) 8/10

Call of Duty: MW (PS4) 8/10

Just finished Inside on Xbox One. Despite this not really being my genre of choice, I have been utterly absorbed in this over the last few days. At first it appears to be a straightforward escape from everything platformer, but the puzzles and ideas that get introduced to you elevate this to something really quite special. The final 20 minutes or so are particularly special, my favourite gaming sequence this year. A total joy to look at and listen to as well.

• Upvote 4

19/10 - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch) - I don't really like Zelda as a game series; I like exploring the overworld (I was in the minority that thought the sailing in the Wind Waker was the best thing about the game) but invariably find the dungeons unsatisfying. I made an exception due to having a soft spot for the Game Boy original. They've added a lot of content over the original and graphically it's stunning even if there is some occasional stuttering when loading areas. However, the bigger, expanded dungeons were by the end a slog. It's very good, but overstayed it's welcome and I was glad when it was over.

Previously:

20. 05/10 - Dragon Quest (Switch)
21. 10/10 - Dragon Quest II: Luminaries of the Legendary Line (Switch)

• Upvote 6

On 13/10/2019 at 14:09, matt0 said:

Another one I finished a while back but haven't got round to posting about here:

Blazing Chrome (Xbox One):

Finished this on default difficulty by artlessly bludgeoning my way from checkpoint to checkpoint thanks to infinite continues.

Bad first impressions aside (more botched local co-op / profile system nonsense that I can't be bothered to go in to in detail), I thought this was superb. It's a long time since I've played a Contra game so I could be talking out of my arse but I felt this was on par with Contra 3 and Hard Corps. I have played a fair bit of Gunstar Heroes recently, and I wouldn't rate this too far behind that. Great pacing, constantly switching between run and gun sections and mid bosses. Imaginative stage bosses with satisfying attack patterns and windows of opportunity that don't require you to figure out inscrutable hit boxes or safe spots from screen spanning attacks. Perfect use of the mega drive colour palette. Well animated, chunky sprites and loads of parallax scrolling layers. Plenty of little nods to Metal Slug as well as (obviously) the Contra series.

Pure action from start to finish.

2019 so far:

Reveal hidden contents

January:

Ashen (Xbox One)

Celeste (Xbox One)

February:

The Division (Xbox One)

March:

Bad North (Xbox One)

Minit (Xbox One)

May:

Dandara (Xbox One)

Crackdown 3 (Xbox One)

June:

Sonic Mania (Xbox One)

World War Z (Xbox One)

R-Type Tactics (PSP)

July:

Steam World Dig (Wii U)

August:

Just gone and ordered on a Limited Run based on learning about it from you. Really love Contra and Gunstar heroes and from the brief screen shots I saw (trying not to spoil things too much) it looks just like them.