rllmuk
Unofficial Who

What games did you complete? 2019 Edition

Oxenfree

I had no idea what to expect from this, but was pleasantly surprised. The game is essentially a walking sim, but you're in almost constant conversation and the choices you make will affect the ending. Unlike a lot of dialogue trees this flowed really naturally, and the game took a few interesting turns, though I'm not entirely sure how some of my actions resulted in the ending I achieved. There was some collectables guff but I ignored that and found the game ended at just the right time.

Titanfall 2

Finally got round to playing this after hearing nothing but praise for the campaign and absolutely loved it. Nothing quite beats the feeling of wall running across a chasm, jumping on to a new platform and introducing an unwitting enemy to your shotgun mid leap. Every level felt fresh and the short campaign length was perfect.

Previously:

Spoiler

What Remains of Edith Finch

Forza Horizon 4 + Fortune Island DLC

Abzu

• Upvote 4

FFXIV : A Realm Reborn - PS4

I never thought I would play an MMO again after a few years of WoW, mainly because I have a weird fear of people online, and with WoW I was able to play with a great bunch of people, some of who are on here still, and it never felt difficult or pressured. But I saw some people were playing this, and the free trial is incredibly generous, so I gave it a shot and I am really enjoying it, to the point where I got a 2 month sub and I can't see myself stopping playing for a while. It's also the only thing I have been playing on the PS4, all other games are forgotten at the moment.

So why do I enjoy it so much? First off, it feels like a single player game. You can engage with others as much or as little as you like. You have to do some instanced dungeons as part of the main quest, but the community in general is really helpful to new players. And the game does so many things right. Your character is front and centre of any cutscenes. Even in dungeons, the game treats you like the star of the show. Thats great, to the point where it seems weird when you see a cutscene with someone elses character in. Everyone else knows you are a new player, you have a sprout symbol on your name to signify this. I've finished the base game now, and will have it for a bit yet. People know when you are running a dungeon for the first time, and they get extra rewards for helping you run it. So in general, no one acts like a dick in dungeons, people actually have patience.

The game explains everything at a good pace. Every time a new thing is introduced, some help screens pop up that are actually useful. You only need 1 character who can do all of the classes and jobs, which is a really smart system. You have to level them each, but there are easy ways to level, you only do the main story once, you are not repeating stuff like in other games. There are side quests, repeatable quests, dungeons etc, it's a great system. And you can pick up new jobs in each expansion starting at a higher level. Gathering and Crafting is fun, and pretty relaxing. You don't need to do it, everything can be bought, but it can make you more self sufficient.

And the most amazing thing they have pulled off is mapping the whole thing to a PS4 controller. It's a genius system that seems fiddly to start with but becomes second nature. With minimal presses you can get quick access to 48 slots, with more available as well. I never thought it would work, but it does. The whole thing has been a blast to play, and as I own the next 2 expansions, I've a lot of stuff to play. I would urge anyone to give the trial a go, it's weeks worth of play, unrestricted, for nothing.

Previously

Spoiler

Persona 5 Platinum Trophy

Ni No Kuni II

Ni No Kuni II : Lair of the Lost Lord

Danganronpa v3

The Unfinished Swan

Ni No Kuni II : Tales of a Timeless Tome

Zero Escape : Zero Time Dilemma

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call

• Upvote 3

4. Bravely Default (3DS) 7/10 [18th July 2019]

It's been ages since I finished a game as I spent months on Bravely Default trying to pick away at it, for it only to feel like the game would never end. The final playtime was about 138 hours and including reattempts at failed fights, I can easily add another 10 hours on there or so. 

So interestingly, this is the first 3DS game I've played properly since only picking one up earlier this year and I have to say there are some cool things about the 3DS which made the experience quite refreshing from conventional console gameplay. First of all the actual 3D element works really well with this and I spent almost all of my time with it switched on about half way. It helps bring out the layers of the backgrounds and the villages and towns tend to look amazing. Another feature I found cool was the fact that you can draw notes with the stylus on a blank pad and add a few colour changes to the pen type. I used this to mark down the locations of locked treasure chests in the dungeons as I went through it, something I haven't done for a long time but really adds to the engagement of the whole thing without having to pull out a separate piece of paper or just rely on googling the locations. 

BD itself has incurred one of those love hate relationships, as it is actually really a brilliant title and I can definitely see why people compare it to FFXII as far as classes go and the focus being around fighting bosses, but there's a continual loop of repetition that becomes a key part of the game and does leave you thinking "did they really just do that" by the time you've seen it all through. The first half of the game plays like a classic PS1 era FF game with a bit of a smaller budget feel to it, but still manages to look and feel great.You go about your business fighting bosses (and lots of optional ones) which often end with the gaining of an asterisk; this being the item you get to become a new class. There are around 26 classes in total and each one can be built up in level just by having it equipped and gives you the ability to learn new skills. There are lots of other additional ways of altering abilities and stats and armour etc and this really does make the depth of characterisation very deep and unique. The game is by no means easy, as it throws new ways of having to deal with fights the further you go and you really need to start experimenting with different classes in order to beat some of the boss fights. Some of them are ridiculously crazy toward the end but I managed to do them all. With the second half of the game I'll put it in a spoiler tag, as it possibly spoils a few things and personally would have put me off if i'd have read this before, but I'm glad I managed to persevere to the end as on reflection, the game it great and has a great end to it all. 

Spoiler

The first half of the game involves trying to revive 4 crystals in the world and takes a fair while to do as I think it must have been 40 odd hours before I got to the end. Each one is split into its own chapter and the game naturally feels like it's getting to the end once you do the final part, however you couldn't be further from the truth. And while it's a good thing that there would be more, it's heavily heavily repetitive in a way that feels super padded, as you'll barely see any new content besides the additional dialogue and changes with the story. The problem is, you end up being woken up back at the beginning of the whole game and forced to beat every boss fight all over again, but it's in this sort of parallel world. The advantage here is that you already have your team and can fly to all the locations, but there's a lot of continued dialogue and the difficulty gets steeper meaning you end up having to grind, but grind in locations you have already been without any new areas to discover or reason other than to beat the same people. This took a fair number of hours, at least 20 or so to get all the bosses and also the crystals need resurrecting too. After all of this is done, that's chapter 5 out of the way.......only no, not again chapter 6 is the same fricking thing, you wake up in yet another parallel universe of the same place and are forced to do the same thing again. Again, things do change with the story slightly but it's very very slow and repetitive. The biggest issue with all of this is that it doesn't just happen that time, but also again on chapter 7 and AGAIN on chapter 8. You have to do the same shit 5 times in a row. 

The later chapters do change things by making it more and more difficult each time, and start to group bosses together. By the last chapter, you are fighting 4 bosses together at the same time and in one case it's 5. This is where tactics become massively important as not only is each universe harder than the last, but their combined abilities make things work together in a way that can fuck you up in seconds. To add further insult, right at the end of doing all of the side missions (bar one), in chapter 8, you enter one of the last towers for the umteenth time only for the bosses to all appear again in here but regrouped and amongst those is one of the worst in the game entirely. 

It's ridiculous how it way designed this way, as you are fighting the same people and visiting the same places, yet by the later end of the game, the insanity that you are going through is also reflected amongst the characters in the game. The ending is pretty good and you feel the scale of the whole thing by the time it's all over. I'd never want to do that again though. 

One of the key changes to this type of RPG, which harks back to turn based style of battles with menus, is that they incorporate a Brave and Default system which essentially allows you to choose if you want to take one turn or more than one up to a set limit per character. This is balanced by the fact that you have to then wait longer for your turn to come around next, and the enemies also have the ability to use this system too. It's easy to get everyone to use all of their possible goes in a single turn, but then you end up increasing the likelyhood of getting major damage as you have to wait longer for the entire party until anyone gets their next turn. You can also use the block turn in a way which perfectly complements this game and is often the one thing I hardly use in RPG's of turn based nature. In BD, by blocking, you actually not only block a large portion of damage, but gain an extra brave point to use as an extra turn so it gives it more use other than simply wasting a go. 

The music great, however due to the repetitive nature later on, you end up hearing the same selection of tracks over and over and over. The voice acting I kept in English and while Agnes's voice can sound a bit...airy fairy, I didn't mind it at all and really grew to feel for the characters the longer it went on. In some ways I wouldn't recommend this game for people other than the more committed of RPG's of the older turnbased era, and that's purely down to the long amount of time you spend in a loop of repetition which shocked me more than surprised me at what they actually did. A lot of this was down to me doing every side quest, and I noticed that a the side quests in particular were always more difficult than the main story fights. I can also say that it's likely to be far more boring and pointless if you don't bother with them as a lot of the progression in the story was found through those. BD is a huge grind fest, but it is fun. By the end I'd levelled all my characters up to the maximum level and saw both the unintentional fake ending and the final proper one, which I very almost missed thinking I'd done it the first time. 

Previous games from 2019 below

Spoiler

1. Iconoclasts (PS4) 9/10

Finished this at some point in Jan and as I've mentioned above, I did really enjoy this once it gripped me. From the top of my head I think I spent about 20-25 hours on it in total and really loved the art style as it plays out like a classy 16 bit title with nice colourful pixelated graphics and some nicely designed areas and characters. The many bosses were enjoyable as they all felt and looked visually very different from one another. It's a metroidvania style game more orientated on the metroid side but does indeed as Badger mentioned, have a lot of story to it. I did get into this more as it progressed as it gets darker the further you go into it. The music is really good and I enjoyed the different move-sets you pick up to use in order to progress and solve areas which often play out in a puzzle manner. The fact that this game was made by one person is truly amazing and I'd read it took the guy 7 years and even led him into a spiral of depression because of how long he'd taken with it. I got it on PS+ and it was definitely one of my favourite indie titles I'd played in a while.

2. Assassin's Creed Black Flag (PS4) 7/10

So far I've managed to play all the console versions in order over 7 years including the Liberation spin off and I've personally appreciated the way each one has been tied together in an ongoing modern day story with desmond and the Abstergo shenanegans. I can also understand I'm massively in the minority here and even more so now as there are just too many games meaning the majority of people won't have played them in order or have remembered the story. Of course, the games themselves which form the foundation of each game have been great, and Black Flag is no exception. I would say though that after the inital 20 hours I spent on it, I did begin to tire of the look finding and repetition. I think it took me about 50 hours or so which is a fair bit less than AC III, but I think I just got fed up of the sea after a while. Initially though, I was massively impressed with the way it felt like an extension of 3 and Liberation, but felt once again fresh and those seamless moments of attacking a fort from the ship then literally jumping ashore and attacking were great. They did get repetitive after a while though with the exact same formula repeating over and over. I got a bit fed up of the underwater missions as they just felt slow, sluggish, and annoyingly vulnerable when avoiding sharks, not to mention having to continually top up oxygen to breathe. It's not that I disslike them, but when I see them as a series of 12 I've got to do, it plants the vibe chore into my mind and that's what Ubisoft are great at doing.

The modern day story finally cuts off Desmond, but still tries to keep remnants of his past involved and even brings Liberation into it and explains how that is connected, but overall it's worse in this. You are a faceless character with no personality in first person mode, and not much seemed to happen. The puzzles are shit, I remember the rock hard ones in the Ezio trilogy and they felt so rewarding and interesting in comparison. Still though, it's impressive that the story has connected across a 6/7 year period to this installment and I've enjoyed going through it over the years so it almost feels like a little Netflix series. Again though, most people wouldn't care and I can totally understand as it wouldn't mean anything unless you really followed it all from the beginning. The next one for me to play is the DLC thing which I did have on PS+, but annoyingly I've cancelled that now. Verdict here is that it's pretty good but did get somewhat boring eventually.

3. Zelda Link to the Past (Snes via SNES Mini) 10/10

Started this about 6 months ago and returned recently to finish it off. I got into it massively the more I played and it holds up extremely well today. The last time I played this was in 1995 so it's been a very long time, and much like my return to Super Metroid some months back, there's that feeling of nostalgia with memories cropping up but it still felt very fresh. I purposely tried to keep away from any guides and managed to get almost everything apart from 3 quater hearts, one of which I can see inside a cave in the top left corner of the map next to the forest high up on a ledge. I was surpried at how long it took me to get to the end as I must have spent at least 25 hours or so. Great game.

• Upvote 4

18. Hob (Switch)

Spoiler

EBM6qc6U0AErbqH?format=jpg&name=large

Despite nearly abandoning this a few times, I stuck with it and was glad I did in the end as it's a nice little game, although it's probably one of the jankiest I've played in recent memory.

Seeing as hardly anyone else seemed to play it (apart from @HarryBizzle, who I remember talking about it in the dedicated thread), I'd describe it an action adventure platformer that has more of a focus on environmental puzzles and exploration than combat (which is just as well as the combat is pretty uninspired and could probably have been omitted). It's played from a top-down perspective with no camera control, similar to to the 2D Zelda games, although obviously in 3D, and borrows heavily from the Ueda trilogy and Rime. Like those games it has very little in the way of exposition and dialogue, but is perhaps more obscure and less linear, dumping you at the start into a relatively open world with multiple paths and not much in the way of sign-posting. I imagine that this is something which would put a lot of people off, as it nearly did for me; however, the more you play it, the more you figure out for yourself how its systems work and what you're supposed to do, and it was actually quite refreshing (once you get over the lack of objective markers or compass arrows) being left to your own devices to find a way forward.

The game world itself is pretty intricate with lots of hidden secrets that are satisfying to seek out. Similar to how you gradually drain the lake to reveal more and more of the map in God of War, here you turn switches and pull levers to raise entire sections of the world from the abyss that initially surrounds you, unlocking shortcuts and opening previously-barred passages as you go. Coming to the top of a cliff with seemingly no path ahead of you, only to find a hidden switch which causes land to rise up in huge plates before you, filling the horizon, is a definite high point. The puzzles themselves are hardly head-scratchers, most of them centring on finding the right switch to turn or platform to climb onto in order to raise or lower another section of landscape, similar at times to something like Captain Toad.

Visually, it's more than a little rough around the edges, despite how good it can look in stills. However, I've got a thing for overgrown ruins in games, so the overall aesthetic here did it for me. Coupled with the perspective and the focus on old robots and ancient glyphs, its look reminded me a lot of Hyper Light Drifter, although whereas in that game the movement feels fluid and precise, here it often feels very "wooly", and issues with depth perception mean that lining up jumps can sometimes be a chore. The biggest issue, though, are the bugs. I experienced noticeable slowdown throughout in both docked and handheld mode during my playthrough, not to mention frequent texture pop-in and clipping, as well as problems with the audio, collision detection and getting stuck on the scenery. It's always telling when there's a 'respawn' option in the pause menu, and I had to make use of it on more than one occasion when I got stuck in an area I couldn't escape from.

If you can see past the performance issues, however, then this is a gently compelling 'explore-em-up' with some interesting level design that rewards more curious players. I'd recommend that anyone who enjoys the games it borrows from should give it a go, but perhaps wait for it to be on sale, like I did.

7/10

Playing next: I'm off on holiday tomorrow with my Switch taking pride of place in my suitcase. Thumper is the first game I'm going to be trying out, although the developers' description of it as a 'rhythm violence' game sounds a bit intense for one that I plan to play mostly while relaxing by a pool under a parasol...

Previous:

Spoiler

1. Gris (Switch) - 6/10

2. RDR2 (PS4) - 8/10

3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch) - 9/10

4. Hyper Light Drifter (Switch) - 8/10

5. Nex Machina (PS4) - 7/10

6. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (Switch) - 8/10

7. The Room (Switch) - 6/10

8. Spider-Man (PS4) - 7/10

9. Monster Hunter World (PS4) 9/10

10. Gucamelee (Switch) 7/10

11. Celeste (Switch) 9/10

12. Just Shapes and Beats (Switch) 6/10

13. Gato Roboto (Switch) 5/10

14. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4) 9/10

15. Vanquish (360) - 6/10

16. Resident Evil VII (PS4) - 8/10

17. Resident Evil 4 (PS4) - 9/10

Pile of shame:

Spoiler

The Last of Us (Replay)
Bloodborne (Replay)
Breath of the Wild (Replay)
Hob
Dark Souls III: Ringed City
Prey
Dishonored 2
The Talos Principle
Resogun
Firewatch
Thumper
Katana Zero
Uncharted: Lost Legacy
Cuphead
FFVII
Metro Exodus
Hitman 2
Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
Alien Isolation
Super Mario Maker 2
Mark of the Ninja Remastered
Baba Is You
Hellblade: Sensua's Sacrifice
Nioh
Fallout 4
Rayman Legends
Furi
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary 

• Upvote 3

Aug

31/08 Song of the Deep (PC) Overlooked relaxing metroidvania set under the sea. It has a real Child of Light vibe with its gentle music and story of a girl setting forth to rescue her missing father. The sub is a joy to control and apart from a couple of sections it's a pretty chill game. It's difficult to design a metroidvania style game that doesn't involve jumping as gate keeping but they've succeeded here.

30/08 CAPSULE (PC) Very stripped back game. All you have is a radar  displayed on a very low res fading crt to show where you are in relation to other objects. You need to ping the radar to identify possibly fuel and air resources...but pinging the radar can attract unwanted attention. A tense way to spend two hours, best played in short spurts.

25/08  A Normal Lost Phone (PC) Clever narrative adventure game that's played through the interface of someone's lost phone. It maybe worked a little too well in that I really felt like I was intruding into someone's private business.

24/08 Nier (360) I bounced off this the same way I bounced off Automata but given it's not going to be playable anytime soon on the Bone I decided to pull my finger out and at least giver it a few hours of my time before casting it aside. Having now completed it several times I'm glad I did. It's ugly and disorienting, the music while amazing loops way too fast and it's battle and magic systems feel clumsy. At first. But over time I could see reasons for most design decisions. It was incredibly brave to go for such a slow burn and the initial critical reaction seems to have shown how foolish they were to take that risk. But by the end you're left with an experience unlike most role playing games either from the east or the west. If you're a fan of weird inventive cult games you really need to try this out. It's one of my favourite RPG's of all time now to the point where there's a risk I'll turn into one of those bores. "Did someone say Nier?"

21/08 Scanner Sombre (PC) A bit of a departure but one for fans of Dear Esther. You play as a man caving against the wishes of your family. It's dark. Too dark for a torch so with the aid of a scanner and vr goggles you make your way up to the surface, painting dots along the walls to provide guidance. The choice of colours reminded me a lot of old Epyx box covers. It's pretty atmospheric if very lo fi and there was one bit in the middle of the two hours I loved. If you're on the lookout for another "walking sim" this might fill the gap.

Gateway_to_Apshai_(Epyx)_(Tape)_Front_Co

ss_9bd33d762249e62f46dc3afa5d3dd0bd43ca0

19/08 The Gardens Between (PC) Lovely little self contained puzzle dioramas involving manipulating time. The aim is simple, get two kids to the top of the pile of random stuff. There's plenty of neat puzzles which had me stumped until I worked out a left of centre solution. It's short at a couple of hours but sweet even if the nostalgia for childhood lost isn't my bag. 

11/08 Hitman:Absolution (PC) My partner walked in on me replaying this. "Is this the shit ones with the latex nuns?" "Yep." "Oh." I bought this back in the day but then got it for free on 360 and played it on that instead. I only booted this up to get the trading cards and got sucked in all over again. It really is Hitman for beginners, it's way too easy to glide through by literally keeping your head down, a disguise my partner still laughs about. And yet despite that I really like it. You can run and gun your way through but it's at it's most satisfying when you set things up to look like an accident. I really have to get into the real Hitman games in the hear future. Are the PC ports of the old ones any good?

06/08 Machinarium (PC) What I like sometimes about an old game getting achievements or trading cards added (or both) is that it gives me an excuse to replay an old game. And Machinarium has been through a few changes since I played it last, it seems to be running on a new engine and it's even smoother than the last time I played it. You can even play it with a controller if you like. The old twin bugbears I had with it last time I played are still present. Vital objects still blend in with the ultra detailed art and rather annoyingly you can still only interact with objects within arms reach. I still had fun doing a quick speedrun of it to get all the achievements and trading cards.

04/08 Shelter (PC) I've had a weird thing with this game for years where I play it, bounce off it and then replay it whenever I get a new PC. This time I played it through and...well to my eyes I don't like the colours used or the texture work.. It feels fuzzl and it felt unsatisfying at the end. I loved the sound design though and that's what pulled me through its short playtime.

01/08 South Park:the Stick of Truth (PC) Late to the party on this one due to loads of things getting in the way after buying this to the point where I'd forgotten I actually owned it! As gross as it is in parts I loved most of it although there were a few points where I thought "too gross" and left it for a day or two. Then again 14 hours of comedy is bound to have some parts that don't hit. It really feels like a season of South Park right down to the look and feel. Weirdly enough it reminded me of all the best and worst parts about being a kid again down to being pushed out the door at the start of the day and being found (and grounded) at nightfall for staying out too late. It's short for a role playing game but it's a case of all killer no filler. If you're a South Park fan you've played this already right?

Previously

Jul

45. 30/07 Warioware Gold (3DS) 
44. 20/07 Escape Lala (PC) 
43. 20/07 Holoscope:Another Day Another Data (PC) 
42. 20/07 Comedy Quest (PC) 
41. 18/07 VVVVVV (PC) 
40. 15/07 All Our Asias (PC) 
39. 13/07 Rumu (PC) 
Jun
38. 27/06 TIMEframe (PC) 
37. 18/06 Reigns:Her Majesty (PC)
36. 16/06 Escape Goat (PC) 
35. 12/06 Hotline Milwaukee (PC) 
34. 10/06 Roundabout (PS4) 
33. 09/06 Just Cause 2 (360) 
32. 06/06 Maniac Mansion (PS4/PC) 
31. 06/06 Abzu (PC)
30. 02/06 Armored Warriors (PC/Arcade) 
29. 02/06 Warriors of Fate (PC/Arcade) 
May
28. 28/05 Knights of the Round (PC/Arcade) 
27. 21/05 Spider Man (and The City that Never Sleeps DLC)
26. 14/05 Knack (PS4)
25.05/05 Captain Commando (PC/Arcade) 
24. 05/05 The King of Dragons (PC/Arcade)
Apr
23. 30/04 Battle Circuit (PC/Arcade)
22. 29/04 Final Fight (PC/Arcade)   
21. 22/04 Old Man's Journey (PC)
20. 18/04 The First Tree (PC)
19. 14/04 FAR:Lone Sails (PC)
18. 13/04 The Darkside Detective (PC)
17. 03/04 Final Fantasy 15:Episode Ardyn (PS4)
Mar
16. 27/03 Space Pilgrim (Episodes1-4)
15. 19/03 Red Dead Redemption (360)
14. 17/03 Where on Google Earth is Carmen Sandiego (Browser)
Feb
13. 24/02 Universal Paperclips (Browser)
12. 13/10 Florence (iOS)
11. 10/02 Squidlit (PC)
10. 10/02 Plug & Play (PC)
Jan
9. 28/01 Killing Time at Lightspeed:Enhanced Edition (PC)
8. 28/01 Assassin's Creed Origins:The Curse of the Pharaohs (PS4)
7. 27/01 Awkward Dimensions Redux (PC)
6. 27/01 Home (PC)
5. 27/01 Explosionade (PC)
4. 13/01 Kero Blaster (PC)
3. 12/01 Bandersnatch (Netflix)
2. 05/01 Assassin's Creed Origins:The Hidden Ones (PS4)
1. 01/01 TRAUMA (PC) 

• Upvote 3

Spoiler

2019-02-12-- Spider-Man-- [PS4]

2019-02-26-- Diablo III-- [Switch]

2019-03-14-- Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon-- [PC]

2019-03-16-- Skullgirls: 2nd Encore-- [PC]

2019-03-16-- Windjammers-- [Neo Geo]

2019-03-17-- Super Mario Vita-- [Vita]

2019-03-16-- Resident Evil Code: Vita-- [Vita]

2019-04-05-- Bastion-- [Vita]

2019-04-12-- The Division 2-- [PC]

2019-04-28-- Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir-- [Vita]

2019-05-02-- Resident Evil 2 remake-- [PC]

2019-05-11-- Dariusburst CS (AC mode)-- [Vita]

2019-05-13-- Astro Bot-- [PSVR]

2019-06-20-- Moss-- [PSVR]

2019-07-13-- Her Story -- [PC]

Bit late writing this one up, mostly because there's not a lot to say. It's good, like: a style of game that was very common in the early nineties, and it confuses/surprises me that this has been lauded as something new. Change the free typing to a selection criteria and it's any FMV game from 25 years ago.

That's not to say it's poor, far from it. The acting is marvellous, the maturity welcome and the whole setup atmospheric & threatening. I worked out the situation within five minutes or less though, so that took the shine off a bit. It meant the next two hours was just trying to find the right phrases and combinations of clue-words to trigger the end game.

The oddest thing of all is that the closest thing I can compare it to of recent years is Phoenix Wright. Who would have thought something so serious and grown-up would be most directly comparable to a cartoonish, silly game on a Nintendo handheld? And that the silly cartoon game is the superior game?! Mad :)

• Upvote 1

06/08 - Judgment (PS4) - It's a reskinned Yakuza in all but name, but struggles to match the quality of that series. Takes an age to get going but once it does it's very good.

Previously:

01. 07/01 - Spider-Man (PS4)

02. 12/01 - Berserk And The Band Of The Hawk (PS4)
03. 27/01 - Resident Evil 2 (Xbox One)
04. 29/01 - Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (Xbox One)
05. 11/02 - The First Tree (Xbox One)
06. 16/02 - Late Shift (Xbox One)
07. 20/02 - The Gardens Between (Xbox One)
08. 25/02 - Super Lucky's Tale (Xbox One)
09. 02/03 - South Park: The Stick of Truth (Xbox One)
10. 13/03 - Devil May Cry V (Xbox One)
11. 21/03 - Beyond Two Souls (PS4)
12. 27/04 - Virginia (Xbox One)
13. 29/04 - Beyond Eyes (Xbox One)
14. 02/05 - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (Xbox One)
15. 13/06 - Shining Resonance Refrain (Xbox One)
16. 24/06 - Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (PS4)

• Upvote 1

Rise of the Tomb Raider - 76% completed when I saw the end credits. Interestingly, I think I originally started this on PS4 maybe? Then I bought this and Shadow of the Tomb Raider on the bone.

Then I got a refund for this, because it was on game pass...

anyway. It's the most Uncharted-y Tomb Raider yet, thematically at least. The story is more more in-line with the narrative of UC4.

It's also exactly the same structure as the previous TR game, a bunch of locations, linked together by paths, but at least that first game was set on an island. This is Siberia. There is a lot of ice. But also a geothermal valley. Would have liked a T-Rex or two.

Lara has a couple of moments where the hang-time in a jump is extended to ensure she makes it. A little jarring, but I suppose on the other hand, not making it would seem unfair.

I also did this, but don't think it qualifies for the screenshot thread

Spoiler

tooomraid.thumb.jpg.e6475dcd245439b44f694eb4afdae352.jpg

I don't think I'll start SOTR immediately...

• Upvote 3

Spoiler

13/01/2019

Spider-Man - That was rad. Then last boss and ending were really well done and I enjoyed it a tonne. Good shit.

19/01/2019

Okami - Finished it on PS2 but the HD version has been sat on the PS4 since release. Stopped playing about 30 hours in just like with the PS2 version because it's just 10 hours too long. I love the art style, the characters, the music, all of it except that it's just too long. 41 hours or so.

02/03/2019 

Picross S 2 - I managed to do normal and Clip unassisted but there were 3 or 4 in the Mega Picross that made me look fucking thick. There were a lot that required a more roundabout way of thinking that I've never had to use before. I enjoyed most of it, just not the ones that made me feel stupid.

21/03/2019

Guacamelee - Started it on Sunday and it was good fun. Some bullshit moments juggling exploding bastards and shielded arseholes but overall great. 5h 40m.

07/04/19

Picross E5.  - This was abandoned for a long time because of Picross S but seeing as we haven't got a new one of those yet I thought I'd finish this one. It's Picross. I'm sure I'll pick up E6 soon.

13/4/19

Borderlands GOTY Remaster - A lot easier than I remember. The world feels very empty and the way the game calculates how accurate the sniper rifles are is waaaaaaaaay off but I loved it all over again, but 2 is the superior game. Not done the dlc as I'm waiting for a friend to want to start it and we'll go through it in co-op.

15/06/19

Strange Brigade - It's a shame this didn't sell well because it's a right old lark. It has its problems in that if you take the wrong gun into a horde section you've basically fucked it, and that some bits of the game are skewed too far towards co-op play but it's ridiculous, tongue in cheek and genuinely delightful. I'll get the season pass when it's on offer and go back for the The Club-like score attack mode.

Sometime in June..

Assassin's Creed Odyssey -  92 hours, level 53 or so, all main storylines done, all cultists done. I usually burn out on games as vast as this but something held my interest. It helps that Kassandra is fucking brilliant (and I love her) and the secondary characters are cartoonish enough to be entertaining but not so much that you want to murder every single one of them. I was one bullshit decision away from the good ending which pissed me off, but I still loved it.

09/08/19

Mad Max - 64 hours (approx). Weird game this. I enjoyed it, but it definitely seems like they ran out of time and money for the final third. I'd cleared all threats before I got the Big Cheif V8 and I'd got some of the final upgrades before I'd unlocked worse ones you get from story missions. It's very true to the spirit of the films though.

• Upvote 2

19. Katana Zero (Switch)

EBo06hrUwAEXuBb?format=jpg&name=large

This is probably the best looking pixel art game I've seen. Combined with the fluid animation and brutally crunchy action, it also feels very nice to play.

It's a shame, therefore, that the sections where you're not kicking down doors, deflecting bullets in slow motion and slicing up goons, and instead are watching self-indulgent cutscenes or clicking through text boxes, intrude so much on the gameplay. While I thought the story was quite compelling, there's too much of a focus on it and these interrupting expositional sections disrupt the rhythm of the game, stopping you from getting into your groove. In fact, by the time I thought it had truly got going it was suddenly over, leaving me feeling unsatisfied and a little short-changed.

It's very comparable to Hotline Miami for lots of reasons, but whereas Hotline gets the balance between gameplay and narrative right, the developers here seem to have made the story the priority, which should never be the case in any videogame, especially an ultra-violent action game, like this one. Overall, I got the impression that someone had watched Drive too many times and really wanted to be making a neo-noir film instead.

It is worth playing for the sections where you do actually get to play it, nonetheless. It's just disappointing that there aren't more of them. Hopefully they get the balance right in the sequel.

7/10

Playing next: I'd say it's been at least a decade since I played it, but the Switch port means that I'm finally ready to give Final Fantasy VII another run through. This was my favourite game ever when I was a wide-eyed nipper back in the 90s, so I'm really hoping that going back to it now I'm old and embittered isn't going to ruin it for me. Wish me luck!

Previous:

Spoiler

1. Gris (Switch) - 6/10

2. RDR2 (PS4) - 8/10

3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch) - 9/10

6. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (Switch) - 8/10

18. Hob (Switch) - 7/10

Pile of Shame:

Spoiler

The Last of Us (Replay)
Bloodborne (Replay)
Breath of the Wild (Replay)
Prey
Dishonored 2
The Talos Principle
Resogun
Firewatch
Thumper
Cuphead
FFVII
Metro Exodus
Hitman 2
Alien Isolation
Super Mario Maker 2
Baba Is You
Nioh
Fallout 4
Rayman Legends
Furi

Burnout Revenge

• Upvote 4

10/08 - Firewatch (Xbox One) - walking sim, where you spend a Summer as a fire lookout with no one for company other than one other fire lookout at the end of your CB radio. As with all walking sims, it's very linear, but this hides this quite well by simply telling you where to go whilst having you rely on a map and compass to find your way there. The plot in retrospect has quite a few loopholes, and performance on the Xbox One (I'm on an X) wasn't very good, but I really enjoyed this.

01. 07/01 - Spider-Man (PS4)

02. 12/01 - Berserk And The Band Of The Hawk (PS4)
03. 27/01 - Resident Evil 2 (Xbox One)
04. 29/01 - Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (Xbox One)
05. 11/02 - The First Tree (Xbox One)
06. 16/02 - Late Shift (Xbox One)
07. 20/02 - The Gardens Between (Xbox One)
08. 25/02 - Super Lucky's Tale (Xbox One)
09. 02/03 - South Park: The Stick of Truth (Xbox One)
10. 13/03 - Devil May Cry V (Xbox One)
11. 21/03 - Beyond Two Souls (PS4)
12. 27/04 - Virginia (Xbox One)
13. 29/04 - Beyond Eyes (Xbox One)
14. 02/05 - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (Xbox One)
15. 13/06 - Shining Resonance Refrain (Xbox One)
16. 24/06 - Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (PS4)
17. 06/08 - Judgment (PS4)

• Upvote 2

12/08 - Killzone 2

[Slowly raises both hands] I am a bit of a Killzone fanboy, I freely admit, so expect some bias. It’s funny how the series developed: Guerrilla making tons of mistakes at first, improving, then getting clobbered by really, really bad luck. The two big moans around KZ2 specifically - well, 2.5 moans - were 1) the infamous E3 ‘real time’ demo not representing reality, 1.5) the fact they kept calling it a ‘Halo killer’ which annoyed even me, and 2) The low viewpoint/shallow FOV/slow movement.

In retrospect the only valid point to address is the gameplay, and with a whole bunch of WW2 shooters in-between then and now, the motion and combat marks it out as pretty special (rather than disappointing) in my opinion – it’s more Gears of War in first-person than anything like Halo. Aesthetically it’s futuristic, but also realistic, using the ‘grimdark’ aesthetic to reveal a glimpse of a future featuring nothing but WORRRRR!11!

The world(s) of the Helghast are these brutally beautiful mixes of grey buildings and orange lights, sludgy water and heavy industry, high technology and decaying civilisation. It’s great. The fact the characters have masses of animation, whilst also showcasing blur and DOF FX, debris and particles up the wazoo as well as some atmospheric real time lighting, all with the PS3’s 512MB of RAM (!) marks it out as a technical marvel, even ten years on.

It’s also still a fun gaming experience, especially if you want a semi-scripted shooter. I’m all for these ‘cinematic’ efforts - as long as there’s enough gameplay to get your teeth into - and whilst it’s not in the same league as Titanfall 2, say, or Halo Reach, it nestles comfortably into the genre alongside the Wolfenstein, DOOM 2016 and the like, and is head & shoulders above most CoD and BF campaigns. The low res and 30fps are a bit off-putting in 2019, but the proper grunty, crunchy fighting with a sense of dread and panic caused by the narrow view (deliberately obscured by your gun barrel, especially when reloading) fuse together to craft a distinctive experience. I can’t call it a classic, but it definitely remains a well-rendered dystopia with an unusual FPS buried within it.

• Upvote 3

Fuck sake, I made a post in this thread at the start of Jan, having completed Celeste, determined that this year I would see more games through to completion. It's now August and I've not completed a single other game, despite gaming being my main hobby and playing for at least 10 hours per week.

I got to the final boss of Sekiro after about 100 hours, so that should count really, but because I never beat him I can't really claim it.

I've played endless hours of Hitman 2, but am still nowhere near 'finishing' (i.e even playing through once) the Hitman 2 missions because I love rinsing the maps for all they're worth before moving on. So that's still a way off.

I started and dropped The Division 2 but would like to go back to it.

RDR2 got put on the backburner by Hitman 2.

I got halfway through Resident Evil 2 - I might still go back and finish Leon but I'd prioritise other games over it.

I played loads of the unfinishable Apex Legends and Rocket League.

My current hopes are Spider-Man 2 and Metro Exodus, both of which I'm making steady progress with.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

-Days Gone - Great

-Doom 3 - Good, aged surprisingly well

-Wolfenstein Youngblood - trash

-Red Faction Guerrilla Remastered - average, hasn’t aged well

-Blood and truth - not bad

-Sekiro - GOTY that nearly consumed my soul and I am a living legend

-Resident Evil 2 remake - good but disappointed,  the old grab keys and backtrack structure has not aged well

-Yoshi’s Crafted World - good

-Splatoon 2 and octo expansion campaign - Great but hgnnnghhh it nearly sent me insane

- Rage 2 - trash

- My friend Pedro - average

-Broforce - great

- Dead Cells and Rise of the Giant DLC (edit) - that’s good, that is

- Smash Ultimate World of Light (edit) - see Splatoon 2

Maybe some others! Not bad, really.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

8. Vampyr (PC)

I do have a real fondness for Dontnod's material. Slightly wonky, not always quite realising the potential of their ideas but giving it a bloody good try.

This is pretty much the studios signature style writ large.

Its mega moody, graphically perhaps a tad basic in place (and quite why so many of the NPCs seem to be drunkenly swaying in conversation will remain a mystery) but hellishly atmospheric.

Basically we get a very dark main plot , a conflicted lead character and a wealth of NPC backstory which you draw together piece by piece before deciding whether to eat them, all whilst navigating an endless series of Bioware dialogue wheels.  What's not to like?

And yet this is an action RPG and one that doesn't pull its punches, the combat is kinetic and gradually falls into a rhythm but is never going to be a draw in its own right but its brutal enough to compel you, particularly if you choose not to play as a homicidal maniac (and the game does go to great lengths to discourage you from such a play style).

Its surprisingly tricky in places if you don't pace yourself, and your not eating everyone in sight, I was slaughtered by random mobs more time than I'd like to mention (and the game kind of gates that anyway by making everyone slightly tasty XP wise late game dining fodder, by which point you've realised that upgrading your weapons is as helpful as be becoming a more powerful vampire). And a couple of the bosses could have been dialled back a little given the games quirky approach to failing to replenish your ammo and health potions on a failed attempt.

But it weaves a good tale with only the odd misstep (the main romance suffers a little from failed signposting) and the core gameplay (hack slash and vampire blood baldes, loot the area and then do some talking) stays enjoyable throughout.

Its quirky, squared pegged and refreshingly unique. 

Overall a highly entertaining 30 hour or so experience.

Previously

7. Devil May Cry 5 (PC)

So muh changes, so much stays then same.  A decade passes between the last numbered entry (writing dmc out is a bad mistake) and all is relatively similar. So this is more crazy character action eventually gifting you with a character that can flick through four different stances and half dozen weapons that can be deployed within a single combo.  No the story makes pretty much zero sense.  Yes the camera still is not quite all there.  Yes its still all amazing fun.

The PC version is perhaps not quite perfect; some slight frame rate pauses where you don't want them but I bloody loved this.  I've adored every preceding title (obviously not 2) and whilst I'm not sure this is quite the  game dmc  managed, its still pretty bloody ace.  Love it Capcom, keep it coming

6. Rage 2 (PC)

So the sequel to the ginger haired step child of iD's output.  I actually loved Rage, honestly swear to god though it was a great game.  Fucking awful ending but that rocket shotgun, well I can forgive a lot.

Now this almost ended up on the abandoned games, much as I was thoroughly enjoying myself, the last update broke one of the final mission triggers, as in broke and quit to desktop.  But anyway I' had a blast up to that point and yes they did fix it last week so I got to see the credits.  And I came back to check which says a great deal about the game methinks.

So its low brain activity this and high on the open world wander around and blast something front.  But I do like me an open world where the moment to moment gameplay is enthralling and this does combat well like too few other than iD manage.  Its masses of fun clearing up the messy busy work of the map and I plugged about 35 hours in.

And it has a great shotgun, what more do you need.

Bizarre game structure, too sparse story.  All valid complaints, but when it comes to wrecking shit up, Rage 2 is on the money. Loved it

5. Super Lucky Tale (PC)

Pallet cleanser and a half decent 3d character platformer which is unusual in itself in 2019.

Nothing outstanding but  lots of fun.

4. Crackdown 3 (Xbox One/PC) (10/03/19)

Well I had originally started playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider and whilst I was kind of enjoying it, it wasn't exactly gripping me.  And then this was released which I had to try.  I also got my first PC capable of playing modern games in well over a decade a week after starting it and was mightily impressed that my progress seamlessly carried over as did my Gamepass membership.

And I bloody loved it.  The following is shamelessly stolen from my post on the thread as I'm lazy.

All the missions and side quests done and evil corporate bitch dispatched.  I still have a couple of gold medals on the races to get and about 150 orbs give or take but having thoroughly rinsed this otherwise I think I'll take a break before coming back to sweep (not yet returned a month later but I might still do).  Oh and I did none of the driving stuff because well, it feels a tad pointless in a game where you literally can jump large building in a single bound, and I am shit at driving in games anyway.

Anyway only a Gamepass game or not, this was massively enjoyable stuff.  Clever hooks, great weapons (that one from the top of the Science Tower is amazing), a clear crisp visual style and whilst no aspect is anything other that derivative of a 100 other open world games, it does them so damned well.  I have massively fond memories of the Incredible Hulk and Prototype games and this is basically those (and of course Crackdown 1) done for the current gen.

Oh and its bears repeating how much better this looks on a half decent PC to the standard Bone version, played half of this on the Xbox and then got my new laptop and its a striking improvement...

So yeah its really good.  Would recommend/10

5. F.E.A.R (PC) 13/04/19

So its been at least 10 years, actually thinking about it probably more like 15 since I had any kind of PC that was capable of playing much more than a bit of mild emulation or Minecraft at a push (dunno been Mac exclusive for the past 5 anyway so the grunt is inversely compatible with the available software anyway).  But yeah anyway, I was forty this year and as my birthday treat to myself (because lets face it no one else is going to post up the silly money required) I bought myself a gaming laptop.

Being so massively out of the loop on such things, god knows if what I dropped £800 notes on was any good.  Its got an 8th gen I5 something processor, its got a 6gb 1060 GTX Nvida thing.  Its got a HD/SSD combo thing so Windows runs more smoothly than Mac OS does on my 2014 MacBook.  Having played Crackdown 3 on it vs my Mk1 Xbox One and properly gawping at the frame rate and resolution difference, its probably got some grunt.  It also has some very pretty lights on the keyboard when you boot it up and a very nice click keyboard so money well spent right?

But I digress.  Having got a potentially beast like machine that I can play on the sofa whilst the wife watches the real housewives of god knows where on the telly box, what's the first real test I should apply.  Well as I have a a Steam library of well over 100 titles, largely acquired for free thanks to the largesse of humble bundle et al,  despite not really being able to play any of them due to lacking an appropriate machine for the aforementioned time, why not a game from 2005?  That will validate my very expensive purchase right?  A game I probably have an unplayed copy of the 360 version somewhere still?

I always fancied playing F.E.A.R.  I like FPS's, and I love the Max Payne bullet time thing, so its a no brainer right?  But never got around to it.

Until now of course.  And I stayed the course and played the whole thing through.  Through the wonders of being able to grab some idle time and pop in the AirPods whilst the kids are glued to you tube and Mrs Dream is idly scrolling through Facebook.  Yup gaming laptop purchase confirmed as worthwhile (we'll ignore the fact that the Switch already empowered this sort of thing).

And well its really good.  Its a simple conceit.  Its your first day as a member of some random top security assault force.  You are sent in to investigate some weird shit at some secretive corporation.  More weird shit ensues.  Suddenly you are in a massive gun fight and discover that miraculously and completely inexplicably you can slow time and shoot the shit out of everyone and everything without them really realising what is going on.  Which it turns out is just as well as in real time the bullets fly about 10 times faster than in a normal FPS and you would be turned to ribbons without this suddenly discovered super power.

And so continues, through poor drawn warehouse after warehouse and later non descript early 00s silicon valley office space.  With more than a few trips to the basement and the sewers of course.   

So yeah the environments are completely unimaginative and veer probably too close to parody of a early naughties shooter.  But the shooting, well the shooting is immense.  From the moment you become aquatinted with the shotgun and reel around cover to blow two assailants into slow motion death convolutions, completely obliterating the head of one of them, then you know you have a winner.  

Despite being some 14 years old the game still looks impressive now you can turn everything up to max without worry.  Ignore the environments which haven't moved a huge amount on from Doom and focus on the particle effects, where frequently  you can barely see what is going on in the bullet strewn ballet that accompanies your movements.  Its simple stuff, explore a little, massive battle, explore a little more; but oh so moreish. And those explosions are magic.

Its also tries a little psychological horror.  This is in the main ineffective but the odd jump scare works well.

So yeah I loved it.  Loved enough indeed to put up with all the messing about in Big Picture Mode to get a working control scheme (because fuck mouse and keyboard, I'm on the sofa here) and putting up with the fact that the game likes to crash after about 10 minutes on every third boot.

So yeah shortcomings a plenty but more than enough here to make you sad that Monolith have only been making LOTR Assassins Creed clones for the past five years - this is clearly their calling.

2. Crash Bandicoot (Switch)

Well I did the grunt work on this as it appears about six months ago - then maybe got too frustrated it and meandered off.  So anyway, its a remaster and a really pretty remaster at that  I always had a soft spot for Crash but I'm pretty sure I never finished it on the Psone - stupid bloody save system probably saw to that.,  So they fixed that and they made the game look - well pretty much as you remember it, only no this is how you expect games to look now - not the horror of what they actually looked at the time.

So anyway Crash, its actually a really good game.  Maddeningly frustrating of course in places, but loads of fun and the sheer relief and triumph of beating a tough level is hard to beat.  No I didn't get anywhere near getting all the boxes or finding the hidden gems, its hard enough at it is.  But finally I beat the as it happens only about six levels I had remaining this weekend and yeah its a good game.

Actually no its really good.  Obviously not Mario level 2d platform quality but its aged really well.  So one down two to go...

1. Shadow Warrior (XBone) 

So I'm on a Gamepass kick (because when you have a backlog of almost a hundred physical games that's logical right) , so I jumped straight from the very enjoyable Strange Brigade to this.  I always fancied this at the time - bit of a old school shooter action with shiny new graphics et al.  And well bugger me if it isn't really good.  Maybe its just lack of exposure to this sort of thing in the late teens of this decade, but it turns out that Doom (2016) wasn't a one off.  This is a full blooded (very bloody infact) run through all the cliches of classic 90s shooter style.  Flitting between quiet looting and exploration to massively frantic arenas of demons - some full throated weapons - and of course lots of locked door maze puzzles.  Maybe its just the nostalgia but this is so much damned fun.  Its got a great shotgun that you can upgrade to fire four barrels.  And its got a Katana that never gets old.  Its far from perfect of course, V sync issues probably should have been left in the last generation and on occasion its a bit too easy to get lost in very similar looking backdrops but after years of narrow corridor shooters this feels like a blast of freedom.  Oh and whilst I grew accustomed to the quirky controls (ADS on R3 is a new one for me) putting all the special moves as combinations of movements on the left stick and a trigger meant I rarely could pull them off with any degree of accuracy during frantic combat.  Just as well that shotgun is so good... 

I gorged on 17 hours or so of the campaign and never found it outstayed its welcome.  Just for a bonus it actually has a semi serious  story that is really beautifully told with some lovely water colour art and a bitter sweet ending to mix in with the quips and the cock jokes.

I downloaded the sequel straight away (god I love Gamepass) 

• Upvote 2

Spoiler

January:
Breath of Fire
Oxenfree

February:
Skyborn
Jim Power
PACMAN-256

March:
Isoland
Patterna
Isoland 2: Ashes of Time
Her Story

April:
Turrican 3
The Farlanders
Midnight Club: Los Angeles - Complete Edition
Ghost Needs Sheets
You Have to Win the Game

^ previously

Haven't been completing much over the last few months. Not even played as often as I'd usually like to. And I'm very much focused on going through older games from my backlog at the mo.

Just Cause 2
So it's Grand Theft Auto meets Far Cry with a touch of Assassins Creed and a tone reminiscent of No One Lives Forever. It's all very silly but I love destroying stuff so why not. The map is huge, maybe a bit sparse, but it's really impressive. Only thing against the gameplay is that it's a bit repetitive to collect power ups and capture towns. Although I found getting distracted by a cute military base to explode and reign chaos upon quite addictive. I could have finished the story quicker but it was nice to roam and of course destroy. Had a lot of fun lah.

F17 Challenge
Old Amiga racer. It handles nicely and I like the use of damage but it's too easy. Most opponents drive very slowly and the only challenge is getting past without hitting them. Trying to pass cars that are going a decent speed is quite fun, so if they'd just have increased the difficulty a bit this could have been a minor classic.

Daytona USA
Great racer. Got it on sale on PSN and it's a really good port. Not much more to say. Bright, fast, fun racer. Not a lot of tracks or modes but what it does have is done very well.

War Hammer 40k: Space Marine
I like this world where everything looks like an industrial sci-fi gothic cathedral covered in skulls. I like the mix of hack n slash with FPS. I kinda like the way everything has a goofy roman name. Space Crusade was my jam in the old days but I never knew the lore. Lots of the equipment and enemies are familiar favourites so that adds a lot to the atmosphere for me. The level structure and missions/story are nothing special but it doesn't need to stand out because there's simply a lot of big dumb fun here. Plenty of gung-ho madness with hordes of enemies. Can get real frantic. The ending clearly sets up a sequel that will never happen but I probably would have bought it because I like the setting and it plays pretty good.

• Upvote 2

June

My Big Sister (XB1)

A sale purchase that I liked the look of because of its pixel art 16 bit style graphics. Its not a bad story, if a little odd, where you play as a little girl who is attempting to cure her big sister of some weird vampire/ghoul curse.

Very simple RPG lite mechanics with very basic puzzles that move you from one chapter to the next. The game has multiple endings, all of which can be achieved by playing the very last chapter in different ways. Overall nothing special and probably not worth whatever the full asking price is but a fun couple of hours playthrough none the less.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (XB1 Gamepass)

Went into this quite cold and was pleasantly surprised. The story follows Senua and her descent into darkness following a loved one's death and her journey to come to terms with this whilst also fighting her own personal demons both mentally and physically.

Its a lovely looking game, even when you are sliding through cess pools surrounded by rotting corpses (I played this on the X in High Res mode). Sound design is excellent, the constant voices of belittlement to dissuade Senua on her quest, followed by encouragement from others just adds to the overall atmosphere of the game. I would heavily recommend playing with headphones on because of this. The puzzles are also quite intuitive, using light or perspective to alter the environment or navigating near pitch black mazes with horror's in the darkness.

Its not perfect though, Senua's pace can be quite slow (even her jog is more a slog) which is painful when backtracking in some areas. The combat is also frustrating, with the camera quite often hindering the view making multiple enemy fights difficult. This was especially evident in later stages where combat is near constant (and nearly swore me off the game) but luckily the story was captivating enough that I wanted to progress onwards.

Overall, a solid game from Ninja Theory and one I would heartily recommend, especially if you have an Xbox and Gamepass.

July

Shadow of the Tomb Raider (XB1 Gamepass)

I have been loving the gritty reboot of the TR series up to this point with Rise being a particular highlight but something was a little off with this one.

The setting was perfect for me, the lush jungle environments of South America mixed with Inca style ruins and architecture (which I love) was a huge refresh from the cold, barren Siberian landscape from Rise. The tombs in this game were also very well thought out, perhaps some of the best in the series. The story, however, lets this game down big time.

So, Lara picks up a dagger in an ancient tomb in Mexico that then somehow starts the end of the world and then needs to find a stone to stop this from happening (in South America), but there is also this group of bad guys led by a text book villain mustachio man after the dagger & stone to remake the world? Mix in a lost Inca style civilisation (which I did like) and some weird underground dwelling orcs from LotR films and the whole thing felt like a hastily thrown together B Movie, especially compared to the first two games. I often found myself exploring the jungle, doing side tombs and picking up collectables, with little worry as to what was happening in the main story.

The last boss fight was a massive anti-climax, the ending was also forgettable and don't even get me started on the weird love interest/big brother guy following Lara around the whole game. The whole thing felt like it needed a bit more time in the oven.

Despite this I did enjoy my time with this game enough to see it through and there were some awesome set pieces (Rambo style Lara later in the game, pissed and ready to kill anyone in her way was amazing).

Riverbond (XB1 Gamepass)

A cutesy voxel stylised isometric hack and slash game that is built for multiplayer, but I played it single player anyway.

The game is comprised of 8 overall worlds made up of six stages with a boss at the end of each. To progress from each stage you usually have to find x number of whatever which will then unlock a door to the next stage.

Despite its obvious flaws (repetitive combat, samey level mechanics) I rinsed it over a couple of weeks playing here and there and it was, somewhat, a relaxing game to play. Each world takes no more than 20-30 minutes to play and the bright, upbeat and simplistic graphics coupled with a minecraft like electro soundtrack helped. It is also incredibly easy as dying literally means nothing and you respawn with no progress lost. Worth a try through Gamepass, don't know if I would have paid money for it though.

Crackdown 3 (XB1 Gamepass)

Massive fan of the original, it was one of my first 360 games, so this was a no brainer download.

It literally is more of the same but with slightly better graphics. The inclusion of Terry Crews as the player character is cool (and you can unlock additional agents if you don't want to play as him), the weapons are fun, especially the Black Hole gun, and orb hunting is as addictive as it ever was. As always, the driving is essentially pointless, you can cross the city far faster by foot (especially once your agility is upgraded enough) and I often found the Agency car to blow up quite easily and ridiculously easy to crash/flip.

If you want fairly mindless "blow shit up in a futuristic city" then this hits the spot nicely, especially after a long day at work. There is little challenge here, especially once you begin upgrading, although some of the tower climbs to face bosses can be quite tough but again, with enough agility, it's all doable.

To note I only played through the main campaign, I didn't try the Keys to the City mode or the online multiplayer.

• Upvote 5

Finished these two back in June, I've been meaning to write a bit about them for ages:

World War Z (Xbox One):

Very average Left 4 Dead clone. Squanders some potentially great locations like New York, Jerusalem and Moscow by sending you through endless concrete bunkers and drab interiors but they really nailed it with the last campaign set in Tokyo where you go through rainy suburbs at dawn, through a public garden, along some docks and the final section takes place on a cruiser ship. The Tokyo campaign is full of colour and has a real sense of place and travelling through a city, which is something that's completely absent in the other campaigns. The only thing that makes it stand out are the sheer numbers of zombies on screen but this makes surprisingly little difference to how the game plays once you get over the wow factor. Also the World War Z zombie pile up moments where they form living pyramids to climb up walls etc. are all scripted moments, it's not a dynamic mechanic which was a little disappointing.

There's skill trees. There's incremental stat upgrades for weapons. There's character classes. There's special infected but they're almost all direct rip offs from L4D except not as interesting. Team AI is useless, playing with randoms was decent, no griefing, everyone knew what they were doing.

It was okay, I enjoyed it, but in the end it just reminded me how good L4D was.

R-Type Tactics (PSP):

For some reason I find myself playing one very long, average to mediocre handheld RPG or tactics game every year. It's usually the game I spend the longest time on out of everything, and enjoy the least overall. Last year it was Dragon Quest 7, this year it's apparently R-Type Tactics.

This is an odd game, full of weird, half baked ideas and themes. Very granular combat with no hard counters to different unit types so even after 60+ hours of playing it I honestly couldn't tell you any meaningful strategies beyond having lots of bombers. One of those games where if it was half the length and just kept the best bits it would be massively improved.

Spoilers for R-Type tactics: (You're almost certainly never going to play this game, so if you're half way curious you might as well just click this:)

Spoiler

At the end of the initial campaign you're flagship gets assimilated by the Bydo and a second campaign unlocks where you play as the Bydo going back through most of the same levels in reverse order with a handful of new ones thrown in. In the initial human campaign you get to enter your name so I was always referred to as Captain Matt. In the Bydo campaign the game referred to me as "Matt's Residual Sanity".

You get a title depending on your performance in each mission, these get increasingly strange and ridiculous as you get further in to the game climaxing for me with "Absolute Royalty Matt", which isn't quite up there with "The Absolute Boy" but it's close.

I think the game reuses the plot from R-Type Final, but I never finished that game or paid attention to any of the surrounding lore bumf so I'm not sure. The implication is the Bydo are a man made creation or a failed experiment humanity carried out on aliens? You get a captains log with exposition between missions and this carries over in to the second campaign where the  theme is you're just trying to return home to Earth but you're constantly attacked by your former allies because you're all Bydo'd up. Your log entries become more desperate and unhinged as you get closer to Earth with some of the most imaginative mission designs happening on the home stretch. It's lining up for a really dark ending but then bottles it at the last minute with your fleet getting to Earth but then deciding to fly away again because "there's no home here for us anymore".

2019 so far:

Spoiler

January:

Ashen (Xbox One)

Celeste (Xbox One)

Assault Android Cactus (Xbox One)

Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice (Xbox One)

February:

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Xbox One)

The Division (Xbox One)

March:

Bad North (Xbox One)

Minit (Xbox One)

May:

Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus (Xbox One)

Dandara (Xbox One)

Crackdown 3 (Xbox One)

June:

Sonic Mania (Xbox One)

World War Z (Xbox One)

R-Type Tactics (PSP)

• Upvote 4

1. Spider-Man (7th Jan)

2. Devil May Cry 5 (14th March)

3. The Witness (17th March)

4. Assassin’s Creed Odyssey (27th April)

5. Days Gone (13th July)

6. Dragon Quest Builders 2 (15th August)

Strange game - the actual RPG “game” is a curious beast, distinctly average. But it makes up for it with real heart; some lovely characters and genuinely funny and touching dialogue. But the building aspect is brilliant, surprisingly so seeing how little I enjoyed Minecraft. I think it better suits my creative need for constraints and some guidance/direction, rather than Minecraft’s blank canvas. Really looking forward to spending a bunch of hours with my boy building up our respective towns. 

8/10 for me

• Upvote 2

20. Final Fantasy VII (Switch)

ECa3TB-U4AAEnoK?format=jpg&name=large

Was the story this much of a convoluted, incoherent mess 22 years ago? I don't remember it being so, but then I was seven years old at the time so I doubt I'd have noticed. But yeah, this game makes no sense whatsoever, and the translation really is terrible, full of typos, non sequiturs and strange idioms that simply don't work (like the one in the screenshot above - surely Bugenhagen has never even heard of Greece?). It's a shame that I'll probably never bother with that fan translation for the PC version. Hopefully the remake will do a better job, although I'll probably be in my fifties by the time they get to the Sephiroth and Cloud cloning stuff.

Thankfully, the game beneath all the story bluster is the same as it ever was, which is to say it's mostly good fun with some brilliantly-realised locations and excellent cutscenes (Cloud coming down the stairs on the bike in the Shinra building still gives me chills), but also with some horribly tedious sections that haven't aged well at all (Fort Condor comes to mind). As such, the option to speed the game up and prevent random battles was very welcome; I certainly don't think I'd have finished it without it.

In terms of the fighting, the materia system is still the best of the PS1-era FFs, allowing for experimentation and creativity. In fact, of the 28 hours this took me to finish, I'd say that I had the most fun just grinding in speed mode, levelling up my characters and materia and decimating everything I came across. Doing so meant that from about the middle of Disc 2 onwards I was hugely over-levelled and didn't really have to do anything apart from attack and heal (I killed the final boss in less than a minute), but I still found it quietly satisfying nonetheless. Initially I had plans to take on Ruby and Emerald weapon, as I did when I first completed the game all those years ago; however, in the end I couldn't face the prospect of spending hours grinding for the gold chocobo to get KotR, and the lack of trophy/achievement support in the Switch version didn't give me much incentive to bother, either. Plus, some fucking enemy in the Northern Cave stole Cloud's Ultima Weapon, which I couldn't get back, so I took that as my signal to just go on and complete the game.

Overall, if you've not played this before then the shoddy translation and frequent quirks make it difficult to recommend, and you'd perhaps be forgiven for wondering what the fuss is about. For players who did enjoy it back in the 90s, however, the speed mode and no random encounters options means that the game is still very playable, even if you do wince at some of the writing or grow weary of the sections where it's not very clear where you have to go to proceed. Whether you're new to it or coming back to it, though, what cannot be denied is just how brilliant Nobuo Uematsu's score really is. There isn't one piece of music in the entire game which isn't memorable or emotionally resonant, from the soaring brass of the Highwind theme to the effortlessly cool bassline that accompanies your skulking around the Midgar slums. I first started playing videogames around the time when FF7 first came out, but in all that time no game's soundtrack has equalled this one's. It's just utterly stupendous. The best thing about the game by a country mile.

*sniff*

8/10

Playing next: I bought the second DLC to Dark Souls III, The Ringed City, months and months ago but never got round to it, so that's up next, although while I'm at it I might as well give the whole game another run through as I've only completed it the once. I'm hoping that having completed Sekiro in the interim I'll be able to just destroy everything with my master ninja skills.

Previous:

Spoiler

1. Gris (Switch) - 6/10

2. RDR2 (PS4) - 8/10

18. Hob (Switch) - 7/10

19. Katana Zero (Switch) - 8/10

Pile of Shame:

Spoiler

The Last of Us (Replay)

Bloodborne (Replay)

Prey

Dishonored 2

The Talos Principle

Resogun

Firewatch

Thumper

Cuphead

Metro Exodus

Hitman 2

Alien Isolation

Super Mario Maker 2

Baba Is You

Nioh

Fallout 4

Rayman Legends

Furi

Burnout Revenge

Resident Evil 2

• Upvote 5

I keep meaning to write up my completed games. Two down for the moment:

Super Mario Galaxy - Love a bit of Smazza Gazza. My PC died on me in the middle of my Dark Souls playthrough, so I took the opportunity to set up my Wii again for the first time since I moved. This had been preying on my mind to play for a while so I took the opportunity.

It's a great game, for sure. Controls well, dishes out new challenges throughout the game and gets difficult but never frustrating. After completing with Mario, I went through almost immediately with Luigi and enjoyed playing through again.

That said, I'm not quite sure why I didn't outright love it. Perhaps I'm just not fond of Mario tweeness (of which this isn't the worst offender). It's definitely of its time so I'm keen to see how Odyssey improves on it whenever I get around to buying a Switch

Splosion Man - What happened to Twisted Pixel? They were cult, wacky devs of Xbox Live Arcade back in the day. I thought they'd come out with a magnum opus for the next gen but their later 360 games didn't do so well and they decided to focus on Kinect and VR instead. Not that I know if those were good and bad games, just away from my gaming landscape right now.

Splosion Man remains one of their better games. A game with only one action: blowing yourself up to propel yourself forward and up. They've built a game that does all it can to work its series of levels around that one gimmick and all the traps and puzzles are great fun to blast through. The difficulty - particular in Hardcore mode where you can only take one hit per level - would be trying, if it wasn't such a satisfying mechanic. They got the feeling just right on this one. Love to see how Ms Splosion Man takes it further.

Got all achievements for this one except the co-op. Maybe I can convince someone to play it with me some time as it looks pretty fun,too.

• Upvote 2

25. Detention

21-24 August

So I'd read about this horror game that was supposed to be really good earlier in the year, and when I saw Detention on sale in the PS store I thought that was it. Turns out that the game I'd read about was Devotion and had only been released on PC anyway, and had since been removed from sale altogether. It also turns out that Detention was the previous game from the same Taiwanese devs, Red Candle. It also also turns out that it's really good.

Think something like a 2D side-on Silent Hill, with nightmarish versions of ordinary locations (most of it is set around a school). But there's no combat and it's a bit more puzzle focused, kind of like a simple point 'n' click adventure, but not shit. But then it's set in Taiwan during the 60s during the anti-Communist purges and all the disturbing shit connects to the terrors of the time. And it's really quite scary, or at least very tense for long periods. Genuinely effective horror. For instance, to get past monsters you have to hold your breath and walk really slowly right by them, which never stops being a nervy experience. You're also forced to get your hands dirty to solve some of the puzzles, with one 'solution' being particularly grim. But the inventiveness is admirable and it all fits with the overall themes. If anything, perhaps it drags out the final part a bit much, with a tonal shift that focuses more on the narrative, but it's a powerful enough story to get away with it.

And right now it's £4 on the PS store (other versions are available). It'll only take you around 4 hours to finish it. Give it a go. Preferably with headphones.

Detention.jpg.8c290e3c61bd9fef13d0f0ef34276c16.jpg

Previously:

Spoiler

1. Super Mario Odyssey [9]

28 Dec-1 Jan

Yeah, this is pretty special. Love the open levels and the cap mechanic, and there are loads of clever ideas to put it to good use. Some of the creatures you can capture are wonderfully inventive.

It does often jump from one thing to the next too quickly, before making enough of them, but that's less of an issue once things get a bit more challenging. The low point of the game (other than those awful rabbit characters) is New Donk City about halfway through, but every stage after that is excellent. And now I've reached the end there's an absolute ton more stuff to do. It's hard to know where to start, but I think I'll keep playing a while.

I still struggle with the controls and camera a bit in the trickier platform sections, but it does get slightly easier with practice. Mostly forgivable as well in a game that's trying so many different things and has so much content. Best Mario since 64.

2. Into the Breach [8]

3-6 Jan

Played 7 games in total (on Normal) and emerged victorious twice.

I always like a good turn-based strategy, so this was always likely to suit me and I immediately got drawn into it. I really like the way it reduces everything down to concentrated bite-sized chunks, and that it mostly ditches any kind of percentage based play for clear rules and outcomes. 

However, the downside of the small scale is a lack of variety, despite the different squads you can choose to control. I've had good value already, but I don't feel it has the replayability factor of the best in the genre, like Invisible Inc.

3. Mega Man 11 [7]

8-13 Jan

Completed on Normal difficulty. Same old Mega Man really, but with plenty more polish. Visually it's lovely, especially some of the bigger characters (special mention to inflatable frog mini-boss). Gameplay wise there's some tight level design that's mostly testing without being too vicious.

But there are leftovers of old design sensibilities and a generally odd approach to difficulty that don't quite work. It seems outdated now to make pits and especially spikes instant death hazards when everything else isn't. It makes certain screens difficult to pass at all while the rest are only likely to cause moderate damage if you mess things up. On the other hand you end up carrying a whole range of cheap useable items and equippable parts that can make many challenges insignificant. The big temptation is not to just stockpile a load of energy tanks for a boss encounter and then mindlessly blast through it, especially when a Game Over means repeating the whole stage again.

The best moments, as ever with MM, are when you do things properly, especially making the breakthrough against the first boss and then working out the weaknesses of the others using the new weapons you get from each victory. In fact, one of the highlights in the end was probably the boss rush, which I made myself do in one life without items.

4. Vane [4]

17 Jan

Stylish indie adventure that looks nice and has an interesting scenery morphing mechanic. But it's full of technical issues and feels like most of the content had to be stripped out to make it work at all.

5. Pikuniku [7]

22-23 Jan

Charming, funny, surprising indie game. The simple physics and character movement make some basic platforming puzzles more interesting, although never really challenging, and there's a good quantity of brief side distractions to discover if you explore the small game world. In the end, I was disappointed that some of the themes and ideas weren't developed enough, but by that point I'd had a few good hours of fun.

6. Wargroove [7]

1-9 Feb

Could also be called abandoned, as I haven't actually finished the campaign. Honestly, I got bored of it. But I got quite far into it, did arcade mode with one character, and played some multiplayer and puzzle mode, so that counts.

So yeah, in the end I wasn't as into this as I'd hoped to be. The balance is still just right as in Advance Wars, but a lot of the battles drag on too long. These days I'm used to turn-based strategy games that pack just as much into smaller spaces and time frames, and it can get tiresome shuffling units about rather than getting stuck in. It may be that I need to learn some better strategies, but it's often hard not to get bogged down.

I have played it a lot over the last week though, so it's not like I didn't enjoy it. It can still be great when the missions are a bit smaller. Puzzle mode is also a good change of pace. But whether Advance Wars is kind of outdated now, or whether they didn't quite do it justice here with the level design, it's not as quite as much fun to play as various other alternatives.

7. Baba Is You [9]
22 Feb-6 Mar
I played this for about 30 hours in the last few weeks. It's a great puzzle game, full of clever ideas and endlessly flexible. There's also plenty of it. It gets difficult though. I got stuck a lot and sometimes spent ages on a single puzzle trying all sorts of solutions. Fortunately it's got an open structure, so you can keep switching between different routes until one of them gives way. And so often the solutions end up being simpler than you'd thought. I still haven't finished all of it, and I'm not sure I will, but it's probably a good one to go back to now and again just to see if anything new clicks. The system behind it is ingenious.

8. The Stillness of the Wind
11-12 Mar
A slow indie game about loneliness and a life unlived. Sort of a farm simulator, but only at a very basic level and deliberately makes life difficult for its aging protagonist. It has some interesting ideas but is also dull to play, which is kind of the point, but still.

9. Zelda: Breath of the Wild [10]
11 Jan-17 Mar
Finally decided to make a run for the middle and do the finale. The actual confrontation is a bit of a letdown in the end, but the castle was good fun. There's still tons more stuff I could do, of course. My profile says I've played over 70 hours. I've done 64 shrines, still got a few memories to find, and many many side quests to do. Overall, it lived up to very high expectations. It absolutely is one of the greatest games ever made, and the sheer scope and quality of it are incredible. Certainly as long as there was more map to uncover I was happy to keep wandering and jumping into whatever came my way. I lost a bit of impetus towards the end, but it's something I could return to some day to mop up various stuff.

There's not much point going on about it all, especially as everyone else finished it 2 years ago, so here's 5 things that really made it for me:

1. Mountains: The combination of my desire to explore and that climbing ability made every mountain and tower irresistible. Get as high as possible, see what I can see, glide down to a point of interest. Repeat. 

2. The camera: I mean the camera in the Sheikah slate. As soon as it was introduced it changed the game for me. Suddenly there's a good reason to wander around observing the wildlife. You're not only an adventurer but also a tourist in the game world.

3. Breaking weapons: It's a brilliant idea to make everything so disposable. It really encourages you to use whatever you find instead of getting all precious about it and hoarding it for later. Hit an enemy until your weapon breaks. Pick up his weapon. Hit the next one. Liberating.

4. Leaving me alone: Who knew Nintendo would ever dare do this after forcing Navi, Fi and Boaty McBoatface on us? Someone's been playing Dark Souls, it seems, and then decided to take the idea even further. 

5. It's still Zelda: And yet despite the fact they've taken such a change of direction and clearly been inspired by other RPGs and open world games, everything in this still feels like Zelda. Most of all it reminded me of A Link to the Past. Just 100 times bigger.

10. Katana Zero
9-12 Apr
Very much inspired by Hotline Miami in style and tone, and with the same brand of sudden, quick violence. The basics of combat work very well, with well-timed strikes proving hilariously and brutally effective. The weird story is also decent enough, but it's a shame there's so much of it in comparison to the relatively short missions. It should have made more of its action sequences.

11. Steamworld Quest
6-17 Apr
Card-based RPG that has a smart combat system at its core, but not much else around it to hold the attention. The exploration aspect of the game is very limited and there's not much to the story. No matter how good the battle system is - and it's not really amazing in the end - it can't stop the whole thing becoming very repetitive.

12. Sekiro
22 Mar-28 Apr
I didn't beat the proper final boss, but did manage one of the endings. Overall, there is so much to like about it and it does most things almost perfectly, but a handful of issues can make it horribly frustrating at times. I'd have one session where it felt like the greatest action game ever, but almost always followed by another where it seemed to be tiresomely punishing. The imbalance between the fun of traversing the open areas and killing normal enemies to make quick progress, and then the multi-phase bosses that can take hours of repetition to learn, is ultimately too pronounced. The sword fighting is still wonderful though.

13. A Plague Tale: Innocence
1-6 May
This is a decent narrative-led action/stealth game made quite a bit better by the quality of world and character building. Gameplay is simple enough to keep it moving at a good pace, but the real stars of the show are the kids, the views and the rats. It all lacks a bit of polish, but that's easy to forgive when the characters and situations drive it forward so well.

14. Heaven's Vault
7-14 May
Indie sci-fi archeology joint. You go around looking for ancient stuff and translating inscriptions, in order to discover new sites of interest. There's also an interesting story going on about the peoples from different moons and some themes about how we understand history. The best part of it is exploring new sites and finding new stuff to translate. When you start to put the language together it's fascinating. The main issue with it though is that it all moves just a little too slow, especially sailing between locations, and the interface can be a bit clumsy.

15. Devil May Cry V

The focus and purity of this is very commendable - it's all about the combat - and the systems are clearly refined and deep. What I'm not sure about is whether it assumes too much prior knowledge. I've finished it on Devil Hunter mode (Normal, effectively) and I feel like I've learned 100 different moves but I haven't really been taught how to play it. It's like there's another game running parallel to the OTT button-mashing hack and slash thing I played, but it doesn't want to tell you what it is. Instead it keeps loading on new techniques and controls, until there's too much to remember. Fair enough to an extent, in terms of giving you plenty of approaches and styles, but it makes it all kind of confusing. The other issue is the level design is pretty bland for the most part, so whether it's worth going through all those levels again just to improve skills is questionable. It probably isn't for me, but I did have a laugh with it for the most part. The spectacle, especially with bosses, was strong and the action was frantic and fun. I can understand why some people would love it, but my experience was merely good.

16. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
19-29 Jun
A near perfect follow up to Castlevania: Symphony of the Night over 20 years later. It captures everything that made that game stand out, including some of the wonkiness, while adding a lot of modern touches. It's happy to let you experiment and play with tons of different set ups, even at the expense of balance, and adds so many nice little call backs to the older game that it's impossible not to appreciate the detail. The only issue really is that the final third drags a bit as you have to figure out what to do.

17. Judgment
1 Jun-2 Jul
Pretty much what I felt about Yakuza 0 in the end, which is a mix of positive and negative. I liked the change of perspective here, in playing an ex-lawyer private detective instead of an actual Yakuza, and all the different detective modes (trailing, chasing, evidence collecting, disguises) add variety. But none of them are substantial or remotely taxing and they don't develop much throughout the game. The only mild challenge comes from the combat, which is as clumsy and hilariously OTT as ever. But then the characters are great. The story is completely daft but also quite addictive. The side missions are often wonderfully silly. And there are all the various distractions (drone racing in particular is good). So it's hard not to like the game even when it's not asking you to do much or sending you running around the city on errands. I doubt I've got another of these games in me, but I'd definitely pay attention if they ever announced a Yagami and Kaito spinoff of some sort. 

18. Sea of Solitude
5-6 Jul
Done in about 4 hours. 5 at most. Which is fine. It's probably most comparable to Rime in terms of what you actually do - ie not much beyond finding your way - and its attempt to represent themes with its various obstacles and sections. The environment design is very good, in the way it keeps changing how you navigate the same locations with the rising and falling water level and other tricks. It's a shame it's so heavy-handed with the story and dialogue, because it could get its point across with more subtlety, and that some sections feel less well thought through than others. But it's still quite effective.

19. Bayonetta 2
22 May-7 Jul
I'm a big fan of Bayonetta and did almost everything there was to do in the first game. But then I thought it did so much and did everything so well, there wasn't much point in a sequel, because it had nowhere to go. Then a sequel came out, and of course I wanted to play it, and now it's on Switch, I have.

Just got round to finishing on Normal (started a while back and got sidetracked), and in a way I think I was probably right. There isn't anywhere for it to go. Mostly it's more Bayonetta, with some of the minor annoyances (QTEs) ironed out. On one hand, that means the combat is still *that* good, far better than in any similar game, with the pace and the timing and the style. It's hectic and visually busy, and yet you can be fully aware of what's going on and in complete control doing the craziest of moves. On the other, it's never quite as fresh, and the design is just a notch down from the scale of the first game. Levels aren't as varied, the new monsters are less memorable, the boss fights are pretty much all the same, the weapons less satisfying. Even the torture attacks feel a bit tame.

Still, I've only finished on Normal, and the first Witch Trial that's unlocked is already a step up from a lot of the main game. And the combat is still *that* good. It's just a question of how much time and effort I want to put into it now. If I try and do almost everything again, I could really get into it. I'm just not sure I've got the inclination this time. I hope Bayonetta 3 tries to move things forward more, if it can find somewhere new to go.

20. Gunstar Heroes

12 Jul

Played through the whole thing on MD Classics in about an hour and a half. It's not a game I actually had on the MD originally, but I have played it before on emulation. Honestly, it's not one of my favourite Treasure games. It's bursting with great ideas and the many many boss designs are pretty clever. But I find the controls a bit sludgy and imprecise (and the jump is irritatingly weedy) and the whole thing just a bit messy and uneven. The difficulty level in particular is all over the place, with some bosses able to destroy you quickly if don't learn patterns and others falling over before they've barely had a chance to do anything. I may have felt differently if I'd played it when it first came out, and it's always difficult to judge an old game like this when you're trying to charge through it in one go. It is still a cut above most games of its time, but a little below the standard of other Treasures like Dynamite Headdy, Astro Boy, or even Mischief Makers.

21. Futuregrind

13 Jul

This was very cheap and turned out to be very good. A simpler version of Trials in a way, but you have to keep matching the colour of your wheels to the rails you land on. It's a clever system that has plenty of flexibility and makes for some challenging courses. Most importantly the control is spot on, so it's always your fault when it goes wrong. It's nowhere near as ambitious or precise as Trials, but it does what it sets out to do without any real flaws. 

22. Fire Emblem: Three Houses

16-25 July

Only finished one character's story so far. I have written a full review, which I won't link to again here as I already mentioned it in the FE thread yesterday. In summary, it's a very impressively big and detailed game with tons of features that all tie into each other. For the most part that's all good, as it adds loads of customisation options and allows the story and characters to really develop, so you do start to care what happens to them in battles. But then all the relationship building and activities outside battle make the pace very slow, and sometimes there's just too many things to remember to do. It's a weird situation where everything new added seems to both benefit and detract from the core game.

23. Resident Evil 2 (remake)

15 Jul-3 Aug

For someone who always preferred the second game of the PS1 series and has been hoping for a remake since they did the first one, this is near perfect. It gets the balance just right between keeping the feel of the source material and its core mechanics and advancing it in loads of interesting little ways. The weird thing is how it feels like this was the game I always felt like I was playing 20 years ago, although it was nowhere near as good. It's clear that they studied the original in great detail and have gone to a lot of effort to create a sense of familiarity while keeping you guessing, and the smaller differences between the two characters' stories are also really smart. Take, for example, the way the 'licker' is introduced in the first story and how that plays with your expectations from the past, and then how it does it in the second story. And with the visuals and monster designs, it feels a bit more grounded in reality (despite still being pretty cheesy and daft), and is thus often genuinely tense. The only issues really are that the item system might have been streamlined more, and it doesn't finish as strongly as it starts (they never do). But I loved almost every minute of it. An amazing remake and just a top class action adventure game.

• Upvote 4

Another couple that I finished back in July but didn't get round to writing up:

Steam World Dig (Wii U):

It's really just a fancy update of Miner Dig Deeper on XBLIG if anyone remembers that. I like games about digging for some reason. Dig Dug was a childhood favourite and I must be one of only a handful of people who bothered to play Diggers on the Amiga through to the end. The digging side isn't developed that much and the platforming sections are floaty and fairly rote but it's a pleasant little diversion of a game that doesn't overstay it's welcome (I think I finished it with around 5 hours on the clock) and ends with a decent boss fight. I'll try and get round to the sequel soonish now it's on GamePass.

Panzer Dragoon Orta (Xbox via BC):

An old favourite that I finished back when it first came out and sunk loads of time in trying to get all S ranks on normal and finishing hard mode (can't remember now if I ever managed to do either of those...). I just did the one play through on normal this time round and only managed to get a B rating overall, I'd love to try and master it but too many games and not enough time. It looks incredible for a game that's nearing 20 years old. All they've done is up the resolution and tweak the mip mapping distances and it shines.

It's a perfectly realised rail shooter, plenty of room for tactics and experimentation thanks to the way a handful of very basic systems play off each other. It's easy to forget the little details you need to pay attention to if you want those S ranks, like how you can destroy smaller enemies by accelerating through them. One of what I consider to be a handful of true Sega games following the death of the Dreamcast. Hopefully the remake of the first game on switch is the first step towards remakes of the Zwei and Saga, or even a new game.

2019 so far:

Spoiler

January:

Ashen (Xbox One)

Celeste (Xbox One)

Assault Android Cactus (Xbox One)

Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice (Xbox One)

February:

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Xbox One)

The Division (Xbox One)

March:

Bad North (Xbox One)

Minit (Xbox One)

May:

Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus (Xbox One)

Dandara (Xbox One)

Crackdown 3 (Xbox One)

June:

Sonic Mania (Xbox One)

World War Z (Xbox One)

R-Type Tactics (PSP)

July:

Steam World Dig (Wii U)

Panzer Dragoon Orta (Xbox via BC)

• Upvote 2

On 10/08/2019 at 13:25, moosegrinder said:
  Hide contents

13/01/2019

Spider-Man - That was rad. Then last boss and ending were really well done and I enjoyed it a tonne. Good shit.

19/01/2019

Okami - Finished it on PS2 but the HD version has been sat on the PS4 since release. Stopped playing about 30 hours in just like with the PS2 version because it's just 10 hours too long. I love the art style, the characters, the music, all of it except that it's just too long. 41 hours or so.

02/03/2019 

Picross S 2 - I managed to do normal and Clip unassisted but there were 3 or 4 in the Mega Picross that made me look fucking thick. There were a lot that required a more roundabout way of thinking that I've never had to use before. I enjoyed most of it, just not the ones that made me feel stupid.

21/03/2019

Guacamelee - Started it on Sunday and it was good fun. Some bullshit moments juggling exploding bastards and shielded arseholes but overall great. 5h 40m.

07/04/19

Picross E5.  - This was abandoned for a long time because of Picross S but seeing as we haven't got a new one of those yet I thought I'd finish this one. It's Picross. I'm sure I'll pick up E6 soon.

13/4/19

Borderlands GOTY Remaster - A lot easier than I remember. The world feels very empty and the way the game calculates how accurate the sniper rifles are is waaaaaaaaay off but I loved it all over again, but 2 is the superior game. Not done the dlc as I'm waiting for a friend to want to start it and we'll go through it in co-op.

15/06/19

Strange Brigade - It's a shame this didn't sell well because it's a right old lark. It has its problems in that if you take the wrong gun into a horde section you've basically fucked it, and that some bits of the game are skewed too far towards co-op play but it's ridiculous, tongue in cheek and genuinely delightful. I'll get the season pass when it's on offer and go back for the The Club-like score attack mode.

Sometime in June..

Assassin's Creed Odyssey -  92 hours, level 53 or so, all main storylines done, all cultists done. I usually burn out on games as vast as this but something held my interest. It helps that Kassandra is fucking brilliant (and I love her) and the secondary characters are cartoonish enough to be entertaining but not so much that you want to murder every single one of them. I was one bullshit decision away from the good ending which pissed me off, but I still loved it.

09/08/19

Mad Max - 64 hours (approx). Weird game this. I enjoyed it, but it definitely seems like they ran out of time and money for the final third. I'd cleared all threats before I got the Big Cheif V8 and I'd got some of the final upgrades before I'd unlocked worse ones you get from story missions. It's very true to the spirit of the films though.

17/08/19

Picross S 3 – Picross, innit. Only 50 hours this time. Colour isn’t very good.

• Upvote 3

Gears of War - I've always had a bit of an interest in playing this after years of listening to Giant Bomb's enthusiastic discussion of the franchise over the years. Since I've just realised we're almost upon a fourth sequel, it seemed the time to actually give it a go.

I quite like the way the story starts in media res and expects you to pick up what's happening in the world as you go along. After so much world-building in comics, books and games, it's probably easy to forget that the first dives straight into the story without much in the way of explanation. In fact, I was expecting more in the way of documents and logs to pick up to explain things, but they keep it pretty lean, focusing on a single point of a grand war and letting you fill in the rest. Actually, it was a little bit like Halo in that respect. It was perhaps a bit too full of meat-headed grunts for me, though, so I can't say I'll be fully invested in picking up the spin-off novels any time soon.

I thought the combat was suitably chunky although not perfect. Shooting in cover was good but a bit cack-handed when traversing the open where it was all too easy to get stuck on things. The AI wasn't quite the best and a lot of encounters didn't require more than staying behind the first bit of cover in a room and shooting back. It felt like this would have been far more fun with multiple players. Once I got to grips with the weapons it got better, though. Played through on Insane difficulty (which wasn't actually that insane) without too much trouble. Only bit that stumped me was the end boss which took hours to do before I got lucky and got several perfect reloads in a row and downed him in no time at all. Tried doing it again and couldn't, but I'll call it done.

Played a bit of Gears 2, which looks like it improves on a lot of the criticisms up there, so looking forward to giving it a proper go.

Next up: getting back into Dark Souls now I've got a new PC - currently stuck in the Tomb of the Giants. Oh woe! I've also got Super Meat Boy on 360 on the go, although that's getting a lot harder now.

• Upvote 2

August 2019

Sekiro (PS4 – 2019)

A bit of a war of attrition at first, Sekiro undoubtedly peaks in the period between its mid-game O&S equivalent and brick wall final boss. This run features the player at their most-confident, marauding rapidly through a succession of the game’s most interesting environments. Sadly, by the time the final boss is whipping his fourth massive health bar out, this feeling of joy may have dissipated somewhat. So, although the lightning-fast, single weapon combat system present here is overall a triumph, I wouldn’t be adverse to Elden Ring being a return to the days of wading through treacle in an enormous suit of armour while carting around thousands of useless swords. 9/10

Previously...

Spoiler

July 2019: Super Mario Maker 2 (Switch - 2019) 8/10

June 2019: Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (Switch - 2017) 6/10

June 2019: Resident Evil: Revelations (Switch - 2017) 5/10

June 2019: The Way Remastered (Switch - 2018) 5/10

May 2019: Cuphead (Switch 2019) 9/10

April 2019: New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (Switch - 2019) 7/10

March 2019: Golf Peaks (Switch - 2019) 7/10

February 2019: Resident Evil - Code: Veronica X (PS2 - 2001) 5/10

February 2019: Ice Climber (NES - 1985) 6/10

February 2019: Resident Evil 2 (PS4 - 2019) 9/10

January 2019: Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PC - 2000) 8/10

January 2019: Resident Evil 0 (GameCube - 2003) 6/10

January 2019: Resident Evil (GameCube - 2002) 10/10

January 2019: Pokemon: Let's Go, Eevee! (Switch - 2018) 7/10

• Upvote 3

21. Dark Souls III: The Ringed City DLC (PS4)

image.png.9672b4961084d177728d8929dd2686c3.png

As DLC goes, this was fantastic, better than Ashes of Ariandel and up there with The Old Hunters. Miyazaki presents you with a series of absolutely astonishing locations, some brilliantly intricate level design and some bastard hard enemy encounters. I loved pretty much all of the 12 hours it took me to finish and found it suitably challenging without being unfair. The final boss took some doing, as did the optional one, but I don't think I found either of them as tough as the final bosses in AoA, or some of the encounters in the DSII DLC. They were still thrilling nonetheless, however; there's nothing like a good meaty Dark Souls boss to get the blood pumping.

My only regret is that most a lot of the story stuff went straight over my head, meaning that the ending and its lack of closure felt a bit disappointing, especially if this really is going to be the last ever game in the series. I had planned to complete a new playthrough of the game from the beginning, which probably would have meant that the lore would have made a bit more sense, but by the time I got to the poisonous swamp area I decided that I didn't have the patience to get through another 50+ hours of gameplay before I could access the DLC area, so I just reloaded my old profile instead.

Still, all in all it's a superb finale to an absolutely groundbreaking videogame series that I can thoroughly recommend to anyone who enjoys these sorts of games. It's a shame that by the time it came out most people had moved on to other things and seemingly didn't bother with it. If you've not got round to it but completed the base game then you should definitely get it. Entirely compelling from start to finish.

9/10

Playing next: I've had forum darling Prey sitting on my shelf for months now so I'm finally going to see if it lives up to the hype. I think it cost me all of £4.

Previously:

Spoiler

1. Gris (Switch) - 6/10

2. RDR2 (PS4) - 8/10

10. Gucamelee 2 (Switch) 7/10

18. Hob (Switch) - 7/10

19. Katana Zero (Switch) - 7/10

20. FFVII (Switch) - 8/10

Pile of Shame:

Spoiler

The Last of Us (Replay)

Bloodborne (Replay)

Prey

Dishonored 2

The Talos Principle

Resogun

Firewatch

Cuphead

Metro Exodus

Hitman 2

Alien Isolation

Super Mario Maker 2

Baba Is You

Nioh

Fallout 4

Rayman Legends

Furi

Burnout Revenge

Resident Evil 2

Fire Emblem: Three Houses

• Upvote 1

On 27/08/2019 at 10:58, moosegrinder said:

17/08/19

Picross S 3 – Picross, innit. Only 50 hours this time. Colour isn’t very good.

Fucking hell, I completely forgot I'd clocked this bad boy while on holiday so add that to my list.

Also...

01/09/19 - Yoshi's Crafted World

Been playing this on and off since launch at times when my daughter wanted to watch 'Shoshi Game' and 'Get some Balls (costume capsules)'.

Thoroughly pleasant experience; gorgeous and inventive if not particularly challenging, that was perfect for what we were doing as it meant it took longer for her to get bored and start messing with my drawer of controllers. Will always have a place in my heart as my daughter first gaming interest, only partly influenced by me forcing a Yoshi plush on her at an early age.

That haunted house level can fuck right off though.

Previously

Spoiler

27/02: World of Final Fantasy Maxima

28/07: Horizon: Zero Dawn

23/06: Steamworld Quest

22/06: What Remains of Edith Finch

18/06: Assassin's Creed Odyssey

01/06: Picross S3

27/03: Monsterboy and the Cursed Kingdom

08/03: Kingdom Hearts 3

06/03: Super Smash Bros Ultimate – World of Light

04/01: Darksiders 3

04/01: The Gardens Between

02/01: Yoku’s Island Express

Middle Earth: Shadow of War

Apex Legends

Elder Scrolls Online: Summerset

Oxenfree 

Dragon Quest XI 

Forza Horizon 4 + Fortune Island

ABZU 

Sniper Elite 4

FFIX 

Forza Horizon 4 + Lego Speed Champions - I didn't get the mega 100% completion, but I got the UFO, and then went back to the main game to polish off the additions like the Top Gear tour. Overall this DLC wasn't as great as the Hot Wheels one for FH3, but it's a nice map and the challenges add an extra ADHD level to progression. Probably time to free up the 90GB from my SSD now,  even though I could easily keep playing for all the new stuff they keep adding - I must have like 100 hours in this game, much more than FH3.

Hyper Light Drifter - Playing through the Epic freebies, was a bit sniffy about some of these when they originally launched because I felt they were derivative of other, previously successful indie games, and yeah, this is clearly a bit "inspired" by Fez, with the soundtrack and fake language and the monoliths, but it's also really fun. The combat is tough enough to be interesting while forgiving enough to be fair, and the game really rewards exploration and poking around its environments.

Elder Scrolls Online: Murkmire - This expansion was apparently salvaged from being some multiplayer zone early in development, and it's one of the smaller and weaker expansions, with the plot lacking a lot of drive. That said, it has a great ending, with a sort of Ayeleid transport Nexus in a sub-dimension that you chase someone through, taking you all across Tamriel.

• Upvote 3

Here's another one from last night.

01/09/19 - Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Black Eagle)

Well this is an odd one. Combat wise I loved this game as much as any other Fire Emblem, I was well on board for the Hogwarts bits and the story seemed really interesting and different.

Combat remained delightful throughout so no problems there. The monastery bits waned massively in part 2 due, no doubt, to there being less to do and I hated the fact that most of the Master classes were on mounted units with very little variation from their advanced counterparts.

Then there’s the story. Spoliers below:

Spoiler

I played Black Eagles and chose to keep Edelgard alive at the end of Part 1 right up to this point I was loving the story, Edelgard being the Flame emperor was a proper curve ball and I sided with her as I thought it would be interesting. So far cracking stuff. Then… what in balls happed to the story? The Death Knight reappears as an ally for one battle, which Edelgard promises to explain later, then disappears never to be seen again, and it doesn’t get explained.

And from here I feel like I black out every so often and play a few hours with no memory of it. The story seemed to barrel along without explaining the salient points (why are the other houses still siding with the Immaculate One?) then gets to then end and a foreshadowed ass-kicking of Lord Arundel and his cronies (still not sure exactly what these guys are doing or what their motivation is) totally fails to happen and gets a line in the ending saying ‘Oh yeah and you totally killed those guys.’

Maybe I missed something or maybe it’s all explained in other play-throughs with different houses or DLC; but maaaaaaaan after such a great first half I was massively disappointed. The actual story was still quite good, I think, just the way it was told left me with more speculation that the Mass Effect 3 ending.

Still a top game.

Previously

Spoiler

01/09: Yoshi's Crafted World

27/07: World of Final Fantasy Maxima

28/07: Horizon: Zero Dawn

23/06: Steamworld Quest

22/06: What Remains of Edith Finch

18/06: Assassin's Creed Odyssey

01/06: Picross S3

27/03: Monsterboy and the Cursed Kingdom

08/03: Kingdom Hearts 3