Unofficial Who

What games did you complete? 2019 Edition

4th January

Rogue Fable III

header.jpg

Ranger (elf)

I'm a sucker for these simplified roguelikes.
Loving this, very accessible, completely mouse driven if you don't want to use the keys, you can play it completely one handed while stirring your cauldron.
Nice cartoony graphics, streamlined but with enough strategic depth to keep things interesting.
My favourite since Golden Krone Hotel.

• Upvote 3

01. 03/01 - Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden (PS4)

For some reason, other than Paper Mario on the Gamecube, I'd never played any kind of turn based game in all my years of gaming until Mario & Rabbids. In the 16 months since then it seems turn based games are all I want to play now. I loved Mutant Year Zero, felt like a nice middle ground between M&R and Xcom. Ended a bit abruptly but until then it was right up my street and one of my favourite games of 2018. 9/10

02. 03/01 - Strange Brigade (PS4)

This was ok. Just a bit of Christmas co-op fun with my son. 6/10

03. 11/01 - Xcom 2 (PS4)

04. 17/01 - Star Wars Battlefront 2 (PS4)

05. 18/01 - Steamworld Heist (PS4) 

2018 list:

Spoiler

01 - Skyrim (Switch)

02 - Dragon Age Inquisition (Xbox)

03 - Borderlands 2 & dlc (Xbox)

04 - Borderlands Pre-sequel (Xbox)

05 - Star Wars Battlefront II (Xbox)

06 - Oxenfree (Switch)

07 - Mass Effect Andromeda (Xbox)

08 - Gears of War 4 (Xbox)

09 - Steamworld Dig (Switch)

10 - Mirrors Edge (Xbox bc)

11 - South Park Stick of Truth (Xbox)

12 - Rime (Switch)

13 - Gone Home (Xbox)

14 - South Park Fractured but Whole (Xbox)

15 - Ghost Squad (Wii)

16 - House of the Dead Overkill (Wii)

17 - Banner Saga 1 (Switch)

18 - Sniper Elite 4 (Xbox)

19 - Letter Quest Remastered (Switch)

20- West of Loathing (Switch)

21 - Yoshi's Woolly World (Wii U)

22 - Steamworld Heist (Switch)

23 - Batman Arkham City (Wii U)

24 - Mario & Rabbids DK Adventure expansion (Switch)

25 - Yoku's Island Express (Switch)

26 - Octopath Traveler (Switch)

27 - Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (Switch)

28 - Okami HD (Switch)

29 - Saturday Morning RPG (Switch)

30 - Cosmic Star Heroine (Switch)

31 - Into the Breach (Switch)

32 - Wolfenstein II (Switch)

33 - Spider-Man (PS4)

34 - What Remains of Edith Finch (PS4)

35 - God of War (PS4)

36 - Night in the Woods (Switch)

37 - Bastion (Switch)

38 - Mark of the Ninja Remastered (Switch)

39 - Detroit Become Human (PS4)

40 - Life is Strange, Before the Storm (PS4)

41 - Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)

42 - Transistor (Switch)

43 - Luigi's Mansion (3DS)

44 - BF:V campaign (PS4)

45 - Pokemon Lets Go Eevee (Switch)

46 - Cat Quest (Switch)

47 - Gris (Switch)

48 - Banner Saga 2 (Switch)

Edited by hrpr
  • Upvote 1

Jan

05/01 Assassin's Creed Origins:The Hidden Ones (PS4) With the DLC going cheap over Christmas I had all the excuses I needed to refill the shoes of Bayek of Siwa, the Batman of the New Kingdom. Taking place in Sinai this is a pretty meaty adventure. There's a couple of callbacks to the base game but it's more of the same. Which is fortunate because I wanted more of the same! It's between 5-10 hours long depending how off the beaten track you want to explore.

01/01 TRAUMA (PC) I have no idea why this has been sitting in my pile of shame for so long. Since 2011 in fact. It's an hour long hidden object / puzzle game (although I spent two hours with it) with a very odd but satisfying mechanics. Not sure why I bounced off this before, and maybe The Norwood Suite has put me in the right frame of mind to play some arty indie games. Beret/10.

Blimey, just like that I've got another two to add.

04/01 - Darksiders 3

This game has definitely been getting an unfair rap. While I did really miss the dungeons it was very fun to play; the perfect palette cleanser after RDR2. While a little rough looking, I absolutely loved the design of the sins and applaud them for not going the obvious route with Lust. I really, really hope they can finish the series.

SO as I finished that early in the night and wasn't going to waste a night off I decided to have a poke around GamePass with the intention of starting Mutant Year Zero. However, I noticed another game...

04/01 - The Gardens Between

Another TCGS darling and another hit for me. Finished it in one sitting and it was a marvelous experience with some very clever puzzling and a very cool bitter-sweet story. Sounds weird but having moved house more times than I care to count when I was young it really tugged at some long forgotten memories. Well worth a couple of hours of your time especially if you have GamePass.

I don't expect to be keeping up this completion pace, especially with KH3 due the end of the month.

Previously:

Spoiler

02/01 - Yoku's Island Express 

• Upvote 3

Another one:

Into the Breach [8]

3-6 Jan

Played 7 games in total (on Normal) and emerged victorious twice.

I always like a good turn-based strategy, so this was always likely to suit me and I immediately got drawn into it. I really like the way it reduces everything down to concentrated bite-sized chunks, and that it mostly ditches any kind of percentage based play for clear rules and outcomes. 

However, the downside of the small scale is a lack of variety, despite the different squads you can choose to control. I've had good value already, but I don't feel it has the replayability factor of the best in the genre, like Invisible Inc.

Previously:

Spoiler

Super Mario Odyssey [9]

28 Dec-1 Jan

Yeah, this is pretty special. Love the open levels and the cap mechanic, and there are loads of clever ideas to put it to good use. Some of the creatures you can capture are wonderfully inventive.

It does often jump from one thing to the next too quickly, before making enough of them, but that's less of an issue once things get a bit more challenging. The low point of the game (other than those awful rabbit characters) is New Donk City about halfway through, but every stage after that is excellent. And now I've reached the end there's an absolute ton more stuff to do. It's hard to know where to start, but I think I'll keep playing a while.

I still struggle with the controls and camera a bit in the trickier platform sections, but it does get slightly easier with practice. Mostly forgivable as well in a game that's trying so many different things and has so much content.

Best Mario since 64.

• Upvote 2

1. 05/01/19 - Gris (Switch)

DwLgNdtVAAA9JyY.jpg

I enjoyed the four or so hours I spent with this, overall. The way it looks and sounds is by far the best and most interesting thing about it, the Ghibli-esque animation being especially remarkable in places, and there were a few sequences that succeeded in plastering a big smile across my face. However, I could have done with a bit more substance to go with the style, as the gameplay more or less throughout is thin enough to make this feel more like a sort of interactive art project than a game, almost like a 2D walking simulator. I didn't really have to do a great deal apart from press right and left on the analog stick and occasionally jump until the final chapter, when things started to get a bit more interesting and I had to engage my brain a bit more, but then the game finished quite abruptly. As puzzle platformers go, there's certainly nothing here to challenge the likes of Inside or Fez in terms of either puzzles or platforming. I thought the narrative was similarly a bit lacking; I'm all up for emergent storytelling, and I got that the whole thing was supposed to be moody and metaphorical, but a touch more exposition, if only to make me care about what was supposed to be going on and to give me some kind of objective beyond "Get to the next area", wouldn't have gone amiss.

Anyway, I don't want to sound like I'm criticising the game too much because, like I say, I enjoyed the time I spent with it. Just don't go in expecting a 'masterpiece' or indie GOTY, or for that matter a game that makes you weep at the transcendental poignancy of it all. It's doesn't do anything wrong and it certainly looks pretty, but that's about as much as you can say for it. 6/10

Playing next: Dead Cells (Switch)

Still playing: Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)

• Upvote 3

Spoiler

I got distracted last year and finished games for reviews rather than keeping proper track of them. Let's try and be more organised:

Last night but counting it as it was 2019 somewhere by then:

Gravity Rush (Vita): Took me a while to adjust to the gravity shifting and spent a long time at the beginning just floating around but once I got the hang of it this became a joy. Didn't clear all the challenges as wasn't good enough at the time trials but will replay on PS4 with the kids.

This morning:

Titanfall 2 (PS4): picked this up for £4 and rattled through the campaign. Wished I'd put the difficulty higher as it was mostly a breeze but really enjoyed a great and tightly focused single player mode. Not going to bother with multiplayer (although might dip in for the trophies) but will reinstall at some point to try it at Master difficulty.

Hue (PS4): Lovely little colour changing puzzle platformer. Enjoyed this up until the final puzzle which involved a timing mechanic that hadn't been introduced beforehand. Charming story too. May look for the hidden collectables but finished the core game.

• Upvote 1

Despite my usual very poor completion rate, I'll give it a go this year myself starting with:

1. Jan 6thRed Dead Redemption 2 (Xbox One X) - Started 26th October 2018.  Same old Rockstar layout and mission design with unintuitive controls but the fantastic graphics, massive,  highly detailed world, amazing voice-acting, and the completely engrossing narrative elevate this to probable game of the generation position for me.  10/10.

• Upvote 3

1. South Park The Fractured But Whole (Switch) - 01/01/19

My girlfriend got me a Switch for Christmas with a handful of games I likely wouldn't have bought for myself at any point, one of which was South Park. As a lapsed fan of the show - I still love the earlier seasons, but it lost it's lustre somewhat when it became more current events focussed - I had played and enjoyed The Stick of Truth without finishing it. I hadn't even gotten as far as Canada, which seems to be everyone's highlight from that game, so it was always in my mind that I'd go back to that game before considering the new one.

Anyway, here I am at Christmas with a new game to play, so in it goes. And it's a perfectly fine game indeed, without being anything too special. It's not as funny as the first game by any stretch, and relies a lot on the player still being amused by toilet humour (I am), but the game mechanics are an upgrade, and the plot was enjoyable. If it wasn't on the Switch, I'm not sure if I'd have had the patience to finish it 

Spoiler

particularly with the game dragging it's heels about wrapping everything up from the elder god boss fight onwards - I thought I was on the last battle about 5 times through the game -

however, being able to plug on in handheld mode whilst my girlfriend had taken over the TV saw me through.

Would I recommend it? Sure, assuming you're a fan of the show. I'd play Stick of Truth over this though, given it's a funnier game, and really that's the main reason to play either.

7/10

• Upvote 3

1. Saints Row 4 - 6th Jan

I utterly adore this game - the plot, the characters, the gameplay and its got Keith David in it.  Love it.

• Upvote 3

2. Crash Bandicoot (as part of the N. Sane Trilogy - Switch) - 06/01/19

I've always maintained that the PS1 Crash Bandicoot games are much better than they're given credit for, and this play through of the first game has only reinforced that. Yes, Mario 64 is a much better game, which left Crash behind in pretty much every way imaginable, but if we discredited every game that wasn't as good as Mario 64, we'd only ever have played and enjoyed about 5 games ever.

I had never actually finished the original game (and barely even played the second one - I didn't get a PlayStation until the third game was already out), and whilst some of the issues levelled at it, such as it's trial-and-error type gameplay are fair, it's still fun, and cartoony in a way that games generally aren't nowadays. The bosses are shit, though.

6/10

Spoiler

1. South Park The Fractured But Whole (Switch) - 01/01/19

2. Crash Bandicoot (as part of the N. Sane Trilogy - Switch) - 06/01/19

• Upvote 2

Let's see if I can actually keep updating this until the end of the year this time around. :) 

Jan

DOOM (2019/01/05) - I bought in a sale at the end of 2016, played the first level and then didn't touch it again until last month. Continuing with the difficulty set to Ultra-Violence, I got absolutely battered for the next two levels before the "push-forward combat" finally clicked and I began to love it (did anyone else think that the first boss was harder than the second boss?). I'm just polishing off the last few campaign achievements before trying out the Arcade mode, as well as the grind for the last couple of multiplayer achievements, but I should really move on to a new game. That said, now that I've finished it I can buy DOOM Eternal without shame.;) 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Gord said:

1. Saints Row 4 - 6th Jan

I utterly adore this game - the plot, the characters, the gameplay and its got Keith David in it.  Love it.

Best Crackdown game since Crackdown. I loved it (although I have no idea who Keith David is, plus a lot of the references to previous games were completely lost on me as I've only played SR3), but due to a glitched achievement I ended up having to play through twice which was mildly annoying. Clearly I need to give up on trying to 100% games, because it just leads to major annoyances like this.

• Upvote 1

06/01 - Celeste (Switch)

The combination of theme and gameplay really took me by surprise; it really is a wonderful message for anyone who has experienced depression or anxiety, or just has a part of themselves they'd rather be without. Reached the summit with 1374 deaths, and only 49 strawberries, so there's certainly plenty left I can chip away at, and expect I'll be recommending it to everyone I know for some time to come. Absolutely loved it.

Previously:

Spoiler

01/01 - Doom (Switch)

• Upvote 3

January 2019

Resident Evil 0 (PS4 - 2016)

This one came with my PS4 copy of REmake so, having never played it before, I thought I'd give it a go. Hmm. The headline character switching mechanic is fine in itself (although I feel that the puzzles could have done a bit more with it), but the removal of item boxes is horrible and essentially just balloons the amount of backtracking involved. Meanwhile, the game's famous train section is over in a flash and then, after a quick stop at a bargain bin Spencer mansion, it's back to the usual forgettable procession of bland industrial environments. The protagonists are unlikable, the story is drivel and really the only thing that kept me going was the classic old school Resi gameplay that was buried somewhere underneath all this nonsense. Probably not worth playing unless you're looking to complete the RE set. 6/10

Previously...

January 2019: Pokemon: Let's Go, Eevee! (Switch - 2018) 7/10

January 2019: Resident Evil (PS4 - 2015) 10/10

• Upvote 2

7th Jan - Celeste, XB1

I don't tend to play many indie games as my time is hoovered up by 50+ hour epics but this seemed like a very generous Games With Gold offering so I gave it a go. It's pretty gruelling but, completely unexpectedly, it was the story that kept me going. I thought it was a really clever way of visualising anxiety and self-sabotaging tendencies that genuinely helped me to understand what some people have to cope with every day of their lives. I thought it was perhaps 25% too long - each section just outstayed its welcome, but those final stretches where you feel like giving up - I guess that's the point. I get the feeling there are tonnes of great secrets left discover but I think the main game was challenging enough for me!

• Upvote 5

I managed 23 games in 2018, after predicting 12! But I got an Xbox One S in October and just binged on game pass games for the rest of the year. This year I'll probably aim for less, and not try and live without sleep for the last two months of the year.

Ashen (Xbox One):

I've just posted in the Ashen thread about how much I got wrapped up in this one. It's ultimately too derivative of the Souls games and too janky to be considered a classic, but it's still very good and one that I can tell will stay with me for a long time.

2018 List:

Spoiler

January:

Vanquish (360)

February:

Ghost Recon Shadow War (3DS)

March:

Super Metroid (SNES Mini)

Split Second (360)

April:

Zelda: Breath of The Wild (Wii U)

Metro Last Light (360)

May:

Shovel Knight (Wii U)

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (360)

July:

Castlevania (NES mini)

August:

Super Castlevania IV (SNES mini)

Castlevania: Dracula X (SNES via Wii U virtual console)

September:

Destiny 2 - year one campaigns (PC)

October:

Banner Saga (PC)

Assassin's Creed (360)

November:

Abzu (X1)

Halo 5 (X1)

Gears of War 4 (X1)

Wolfenstein: The New Order (X1)

December:

Oxenfree (X1)

Thomas Was Alone (X1)

Dragon Quest 7 (3DS)

Defence Grid 2 (X1)

Wild Guns (SNES via Wii U virtual console)

2017 List:

Spoiler

Steam World Heist

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

Kane and Lynch 2

Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 

Fire Emblem Echoes

Fire Emblem Awakenings

Forza Horizon

Metroid: Samus Returns

Nights Into Dreams

• Upvote 2

1. GRIS (Switch)

A beautiful and bittersweet experience with absolutely stunning visuals and music. I don’t really want to say much else as I don’t want to spoil it for anyone. The end really got me in the feels. Recommended. 

• Upvote 2

1 - God of War (PS4)

Loved every minute of it, even the really hard bits I had to repeat over and over again. Now I can go exploring and killing Valkyries etc.

• Upvote 2

1. Spider-Man (7th Jan)

Wow. Took a while to really grasp all the controls, but loved the slow and steady introduction of moves, the FABULOUS story/acting/unnerving brilliance of the facial animation. But man, the controls, when they click you are a superhero. This was glorious. And so tight, no filler or bullshit. Just 25 hours of great gameplay. 

I even enjoyed the stealth. 10/10

• Upvote 3

07/01 - Spider-Man (PS4) - as a Spider-Man simulator it's pretty good, and I did enjoy swinging around New York looking for backpacks, radio masts and taking photos of famous buildings. Unfortunately that's about as good as it gets. Poor combat, mediocre missions, boss fights where most of the action is in a cut-scene and some awful stealth sections, combine to make a very mediocre game. I wish I'd abandoned it once I'd got my fill of swinging around rooftops.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

On 07/01/2019 at 04:30, Talvalin said:

Best Crackdown game since Crackdown. I loved it (although I have no idea who Keith David is, plus a lot of the references to previous games were completely lost on me as I've only played SR3), but due to a glitched achievement I ended up having to play through twice which was mildly annoying. Clearly I need to give up on trying to 100% games, because it just leads to major annoyances like this.

You need to watch the movie - They Live. Like now.

• Upvote 1

And so my 2019 list begins!

05/01/2019 - Simulacra (PC)

Continuing on from last year (where I played a number of genres I wouldn't normally), this is a lost phone game where, using various apps and services (like a chat app, a FB equivalent etc) you have to piece together why you have a stranger's phone and what happened to them. It's a curious little thing and at the start it's quite absorbing, the way you have this mystery to solve and you get some (limited) ways to respond to people and there's a little buzz as one chat ends and another begins. In a bit more direct way, it made me think of Orwell at times, the way the interfaces worked and you were observing a chat history between characters.

Like I say though, that's only at the start. Much like Orwell, the way people talk in these things pull you out of the experience pretty quickly - it's just so unnatural almost American-sitcom obvious in the way plot points are delivered. Also, the writing isn't great and the interactivity you have in chats can be a bit clumsy, especially making you think you are selecting a response to take the discussion in a certain way, only to find that you have to actually give all the available answers in order to move on - thus railroading you in situations where you may not have thought that was possible.

Choices do matter, mind - there are 4 different endings to hunt down if you are so inclined. There are also a couple of quite clever puzzles to solve along the way which make good use of the tools at your disposal.

Ultimately though it runs out of steam about halfway through (and it's fairly short to begin with), mainly because the narrative leaps that are made pull you out of the experience too much and so it becomes a case of just wanting to get to the end. The ending isn't great either, to be fair.

It was good to play it though - and it was Secret Santa gift to boot, so I feel I've accomplished something in that respect too - because it was a different type of experience and they are always good to try.

• Upvote 2

1. The Stanley Parable (PC) (2013) - 2/1/19

A narrator in a game? Very clever and unique game mechanic, I'm going to have to go back and some point and find some more of the endings and see what the narrator has to say about them.

2. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) (1990) - 8/1/19

Incredible! Clearly a classic for a reason. Thank god for save states though, I would have never been able to complete it without them. Worlds 7 and 8 really ramped up the difficulty!

• Upvote 1

1. Shadow Warrior (XBone)

So I'm on a Gamepass kick (because when you have a backlog of almost a hundred physical games that's logical right) , so I jumped straight from the very enjoyable Strange Brigade to this.  I always fancied this at the time - bit of a old school shooter action with shiny new graphics et al.  And well bugger me if it isn't really good.  Maybe its just lack of exposure to this sort of thing in the late teens of this decade, but it turns out that Doom (2016) wasn't a one off.  This is a full blooded (very bloody infact) run through all the cliches of classic 90s shooter style.  Flitting between quiet looting and exploration to massively frantic arenas of demons - some full throated weapons - and of course lots of locked door maze puzzles.  Maybe its just the nostalgia but this is so much damned fun.  Its got a great shotgun that you can upgrade to fire four barrels.  And its got a Katana that never gets old.  Its far from perfect of course, V sync issues probably should have been left in the last generation and on occasion its a bit too easy to get lost in very similar looking backdrops but after years of narrow corridor shooters this feels like a blast of freedom.  Oh and whilst I grew accustomed to the quirky controls (ADS on R3 is a new one for me) putting all the special moves as combinations of movements on the left stick and a trigger meant I rarely could pull them off with any degree of accuracy during frantic combat.  Just as well that shotgun is so good...

I gorged on 17 hours or so of the campaign and never found it outstayed its welcome.  Just for a bonus it actually has a semi serious  story that is really beautifully told with some lovely water colour art and a bitter sweet ending to mix in with the quips and the cock jokes.

I downloaded the sequel straight away (god I love Gamepass)

Spoiler

Gravity Rush (Vita): Took me a while to adjust to the gravity shifting and spent a long time at the beginning just floating around but once I got the hang of it this became a joy. Didn't clear all the challenges as wasn't good enough at the time trials but will replay on PS4 with the kids.

Titanfall 2 (PS4): picked this up for £4 and rattled through the campaign. Wished I'd put the difficulty higher as it was mostly a breeze but really enjoyed a great and tightly focused single player mode. Not going to bother with multiplayer (although might dip in for the trophies) but will reinstall at some point to try it at Master difficulty.

Hue (PS4): Lovely little colour changing puzzle platformer. Enjoyed this up until the final puzzle which involved a timing mechanic that hadn't been introduced beforehand. Charming story too. May look for the hidden collectables but finished the core game.

Not a completion as such, but finished off with Just Deal With It!: a pretty crappy PlayLink card game collection. Only five games and a dodgy app but did as much as was not purely luck based and chalked it up as a completion.

• Upvote 1

03/01 Yoku's Island Adventure

Perfect for Switch and at £7 a perfect game to play over Xmas and finish in the new year.  Great mechanics and visuals and didn't outstay it's welcome.  A sequel could be something very special.

8/10

Next up : Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive Edition (PC)

• Upvote 2

11/1/19 - Final Fantasy 7 ( PS1 version ) - For the first time since it was releaed, I have actually gone back to it and made it not only off disc 1, but only finished the bloody thing.

Gold Chocobo sorted, final attack materia gained, Ultimate Weapon destroyed. There were a few little bit's left to do, but at 53ish hours, I'd had enough and wanted to beat the game, the final battle was VERY close, I was smashed by an attack from Seph, leaving all 3 of my party with just under 250 HP a piece, I'd already commited the next available charaters move to firing off Hades, so it was, if my attack failed to kill him, I would not have enough time to get curative magic cast before his next attack, luckily for me, Hades struck and the game was won, a very satisfying end to the game indeed :)

11/1/19 - Star Soldier : Vanishing Earth ( N64 ) - Yeah, alright, it's hardly a long game I know, but I need something to keep me entertained while the boiler is getting changed :p

It's a half decent vertical shooter on the N64, art direction is nice for the era, it's not too difficult and I've enjoyed the half hour / 45 mins I've spent with it.

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

1/1/19 - Final Fantasy 7 ( PS1 version )

Congrats - took me years of starting it multiple times before I finished it and it was bloody amazing.  I may revisit again now with the translation patch.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, parrapatheslapper said:

Congrats - took me years of starting it multiple times before I finished it and it was bloody amazing.  I may revisit again now with the translation patch.

I had already gone through about 25 - 30 hours before realising ther was a translation patch and that it had been ported back to the PS1 version, otherwise I'd have done it with that, instead I went through the classic script and although it's a bit woney, you know what's going on and it's still an awesome game :)

• Upvote 1